Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Flower Of Scotland May 28th 1982
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 15, 2007 18:58

Im playing it now...cause i wos listening to L''Lovers and Killers'' and heard ''She so cold'' so i thought to myself..lets play the first 82 show..what a fool i was to not play this wonderfull boot more!!..But i woke up..an rediscovered...the champ....what a great club gig...do ya like this show??

Re: The Flower Of Scotland May 28th 1982
Date: March 15, 2007 19:00

You can feel the heat!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 15, 2007 19:03

A certain former IORR poster was responsible for circulating the original recording of this one, having gained exclusive access to viewing an (uncirulated) in-house VIDEO of the show. Now THAT would be one to find.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 15, 2007 19:03

average recording at best, rooster....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 15, 2007 19:04

Yes, that's a good one, that Edinburgh show.
I wonder...does somebody know how many there were in the audience ?
Same question for Aberdeen 1982. Apollo THeatre..I think there's room for 2500 people there, no ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-15 19:04 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 15, 2007 19:04

It is always a delight to hear Keith and Ronnie sing with Mick...Billy Wyman was on fire!!

Date: March 15, 2007 19:06

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A certain former IORR poster was responsible for
> circulating the original recording of this one,
> having gained exclusive access to viewing an
> (uncirulated) in-house VIDEO of the show. Now THAT
> would be one to find.

I would die for that Gazza!!

Date: March 15, 2007 19:08

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Yes, that's a good one, that Edinburgh show.
> I wonder...does somebody know how many there were
> in the audience ?
> Same question for Aberdeen 1982. Apollo THeatre..I
> think there's room for 2500 people there, no ?

The Aberdeen show was about 1,800 I think
Glasgow Apollo and Edinbugh Playhouse would each hold around 3,000

Date: March 15, 2007 19:10

StonesTod Wrote:
> average recording at best, rooster....

The sound or the show?...the sound is ok with me..but im a old ar sucker...and the show is a real kick..ahh i get no kick from champagne..i get a kick out of this gig.

Date: March 15, 2007 19:11

For those unaware of the history behind the title, the show took place on the eve of the (then) annual England-Scotland football international (the longest running international rivalry in the world) which was taking place the next day in Glasgow.

Jagger (who actually wore a Scotland football shirt at the Glasgow concert) was giving the audience a bit of good natured stick by asking them "who's going to win tomorrow?", which 'provoked' the response of the crowd singing "Flower of Scotland" in unison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-15 19:23 by Gazza.

Date: March 15, 2007 19:14

Gazza Wrote:
> The Aberdeen show was about 1,800 I think
> Glasgow Apollo and Edinbugh Playhouse would each
> hold around 3,000

Thanks. So the Scotland-gigs couldn't compeat with 100 Club atmosphere, even though they were intimate by today's standard.

Date: March 15, 2007 19:15

Yes Gazza thats just a great moment in that show..anyone from ''Tell'''was there?

Date: March 15, 2007 19:21

rooster Wrote:
> Yes Gazza thats just a great moment in that
> show..anyone from ''Tell'''was there?

yes..but I dont think he posts here anymore, so as he was the 'source' for the recording, I'll protect his anonymity! A friend of mine was at Dundee university at the time and was digging the garden when it was announced on the radio that the Stones would be playing the Glasgow Apollo. He told me he just threw the spade down and RAN to the record shop to get his tickets.

Tickets were £6, and the show was so secretive (the Stones called them "Commando Raids") that it didnt list the band's name on the ticket, it just said "The Concert". The shows only happened because the band had failed to get a performing licence for a stadium show in Scotland and they really wanted to play there.

Date: March 15, 2007 19:23

performance is fine - and actually it's probably one of the better audience recordings from the tour. but that's not saying much. i guess i'm a little jaded about '82 - '81 was a far better tour overall and of course there are so many excellent recordings circulating that it begs the question of why bothering with listening to an '82s....

Date: March 15, 2007 19:29

I think i saw some pics from this gig Gazza....very young crowd it was...i also think..uh know i saw them June the 2th in Rotterdam (and the other two gigs also) that was the next show''right''?

Date: March 15, 2007 19:35

StonesTod Wrote:
> performance is fine - and actually it's probably
> one of the better audience recordings from the
> tour. but that's not saying much. i guess i'm a
> little jaded about '82 - '81 was a far better tour
> overall and of course there are so many excellent
> recordings circulating that it begs the question
> of why bothering with listening to an '82s....

Back in the USA you didnt got Chantilly Lace..i think and feel they were very good..did you heard Frankfurt Todd??

Date: March 15, 2007 20:42

If you are in the mood...and play the damm thing..you lle notice..its the best version of Chantilly lace(i mean its just rocking all over the place!!) And ''Time is on our side''Thats just a duet between Keith and Jaghoo...play it loud!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-15 20:50 by rooster.

Date: March 15, 2007 20:44

rooster Wrote:
> I think i saw some pics from this gig
> Gazza....very young crowd it was...i also
> think..uh know i saw them June the 2th in
> Rotterdam (and the other two gigs also) that was
> the next show''right''?

the 3 Rotterdam stadium shows (june 2,4 & 5) were the official tour openers, but they preceded it with 4 small 'commando raid' shows.

Aberdeen 26 May
Glasgow 27 May
Edinburgh 28 May
London 100 Club 31 May

Date: March 15, 2007 20:53

Is London on Boot?

Date: March 15, 2007 21:01

rooster Wrote:
> Is London on Boot?

No it's not, and neither is Aberdeen.

Date: March 15, 2007 21:07

chantilly lace was a trainwreck in '82.....not even sure it was a good idea in the first place, but after Stu's noble intro, the whole thing just falls to pieces....

Date: March 15, 2007 21:13

No Todd!!! Chaos was all in place during Chantilly Lace...great R&R rap!!

Date: March 15, 2007 21:24

pfft. jagger sounded absolutely ridiculous on that one, rooster. kr's little solo spot often wasn't too bad, though....

Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: March 15, 2007 21:52

why oh why did they have to butcher hangfire with horns? what an atrocity committed to an undeserving and excellent song!

Date: March 15, 2007 21:56

funny - i actually kinda like the horns on hang fire - what the hell....

Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: March 15, 2007 21:59

the one situation where i would prefer Lisa et al. . .

Date: March 15, 2007 22:12

I know some want it to be perfect...but wen i hear ''Let it Bleed''its such a warm..honest version...and i had some talk tonight so i could not hear ''miss you'' so i played it 16 times in a row..anyone has this problem to?

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 16, 2007 15:06

I was at the Glasgow gig. Not viewed at the time as a club show - the Apollo had been the Stones' Glasgow venue during the 70's (was called Green's Playhouse until renamed in early 70's) - they played 3 nights there in '76.

I had just finished a degree course at Glasgow University and was going to our farewell bash - in tuxedo - one night. Nipped into a cafe in the afternoon and saw early evening paper which had a story about the Stones playing Glasgow the following week! The only advertising had been to place a small hand-written note in the glass door of the Apollo saying: "Rolling Stones tickets on sale inside".

Needless to say I raced to the Apollo, joined the queue and eventually got a pair of tickets for the upper circle (I think the limit was 2 and I got 2 of the last ones). Tickets just had "The Concert" on them and no band name (still got mine in some book as a bookmark I think). I was late for the "University is over" party and could have done with a shower first! My date was, however, aware of my Stones fixation and very understanding.

Next day a neighbour gave me a ticket for a great seat near the front (you never wanted the front row at the Apollo cos the stage was too high to see the band). Gave my other tickets to friends and loved the gig. One memory is of Stu - whose hair had got a lot more white in it since I last saw him in '76 - checking the keyboards, amps and microphones before the band came on. Hardly anyone seemed to recognise him, but I got a real rush, a realisation that THIS IS THE STONES. Also remember being confused by the opener - expecting what we now describe as a warhorse and not recognising the riff Bill was playing on his headless (Steinberger?) bass until Mick sang the first line.... "Under my thumb.."...Oh Yeah - I hadn't expected them to do any of the early self-penned stuff.

Great gig. Dancing under that big stage and, yes, Let it Bleed was one of the highlights for me. I knew a lot of people who had managed to get tickets for the gig and not all of them Stones fans. The Apollo was in the City centre, so if you were working there or even shopping when word got round about tickets, you were going to have a great chance of a pair of tickets. Everyone I spoke to afterwards thoroughly enjoyed the gig - it was like a big party (the Apollo was noted as a great venue, mainly for the atmosphere rather than the architecture; the Barrowland is developing a similar reputation these days).

The only thing that didn't work for me was Jagger's dress sense. Looked like he was wearing my grandfather's old Long John's with a codpiece. Didn't get it then and still don't.

Heard that some free tickets for the Edinburgh gig were given to fans outside the Playhouse just before showtime, but that's another story!

Date: March 16, 2007 15:12

Great story, thanks. The expression "you lucky bastard" kinda goes without saying.

Date: March 16, 2007 15:16

Yes, thanks, Teleblaster !

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home