Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Patti Smith-Gimme Shelter
Posted by: Chas ()
Date: March 13, 2007 18:18

[www.pitchforkmedia.com]

mp3 from her new album

Re: Patti Smith-Gimme Shelter
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 13, 2007 18:44

I can't listen to that yet, but am really looking forward to it.

Ok this is mean, but I can't resist...

I know it's just her expression, or the lighting, but doesn't it look like she and Keith have the same mustache in that photo?

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 13, 2007 18:53

menopause , baby

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 13, 2007 18:53

i don't buy all this 'deconstruction' and 'recontexturalizing' crap that's prominent in her glowing critiques...it's just plain really really horrid vocals...awful...i don't buy a word of her; never have...she's only worse and more cloying now...artless, gracelss, void of form or power...melting bastion of horrid stunted cliches...bjork can get away with this kind of mystic channeling and summoning of sounds, but bjork has this authentic...er, what would you call it...a 'genius mega talent' thing going for her...smith columbia's big push project!???!...it's come to this...the face of rock...where 'rock' people go for epiphanies???
she butchers the stones, iggy, springsteen and mc5 all in one night...
there ought to be a law against this kind of thing.
did u ever feel that little kid who was the only one who saw that the emperor was really just a naked old narcisstic coot?
i'm gonna need heavy doses of mott the hoople to get over even hearing the first verse and chorus...why do i click onthese things? why why whwy whwyy///???
ny is the home base break thru point for dion, the rascals, the spoonful, the mamas and papas, dylan, sinatra, the crystals, ronnettes, lou reed and the velvets, the mighty mighty ramones, dolls...and so many, many dozens more...
a world wide mecca for the greatest talents of the world in all fields of the arts...this is not ny rock...tell me no no nonononononnONONONONNNNOOOOOOO
her version of gloria comes in far behind the doors, the shadows of knight, and it's author van morrison...whom she also took a moment to butcher last evening...
thanks for the clip...that's my take.

awwwwww no....i don't buy a horrid screeching unimaginative, artless trainwreck syllable of it. but i mean that in a real nice way and everything.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 13, 2007 18:54

How superficial, shame on you CC (this sounds like a Tralala post) - would not expect this "People Magazine" attitude from you...Patti Smith is the real deal, more than I can say for a lot of aging ROCKER$.......

Posted by: sweetladyjane ()
Date: March 13, 2007 19:39

CindyC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't listen to that yet, but am really looking
> forward to it.
>
> Ok this is mean, but I can't resist...
>
> I know it's just her expression, or the lighting,
> but doesn't it look like she and Keith have the
> same mustache in that photo?

ROFL I have only one word to add: Clairol

Date: March 13, 2007 19:59

The same people who are DROOLING over Keith and his 7 hours in a hair and Make-up chair are the same ones putting down Patti Smith.... wow, I guess after decades of TV people still don't get the magic of heavy make-up, hair spray on's for bald spots, hair color in general and all the other thousands of tricks used to make a cadaver come to life. As far as Patti Smiths singing....ummm, it's not great, just about how Keith plays his guitar live these days..... yeah, I know, TOUCHE , thanks ahead of time......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-13 20:33 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:00

It's a reasonable cover of a classic released nearly 40 years ago,
Ain't nothing but the real thing.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:01

most disgusting woman ever-her singing of 'GS' was terrible, the best thing, she left the stage.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:03

............cover is excellent...........the live version last night was awesome............she came to make a point and did so with the music. Just brilliant.

Date: March 13, 2007 20:08

Yeah, she wasn't HOT like Britney Spears..... I guess "being real" doesn't have any interest to you JJ. Oh, while we're talking about singing, Keith is just a brilliant one (how many times I saw, back in the day, when Mick took over and did HAPPY solo as Keiths voice was more than shot and his timing and attention were TOTALLY gone)....can you say HYP O CRITE? Sure, sure you can.....

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:14

Absolutely loved Patti in the 70s. Her studio stuff was usually pretty good, but if you could find the boots, she was tremendous live. Finally got to see her in 1978. Maybe the best RnR show I ever saw.

I haven't liked any of her "comeback" material at all, but she was playing nearby in 2001, so I said 'what the heck' and went, fully expecting to be disappointed. She was fantastic! With Patti it's not about the voice or her musicality. It's all about the energy, the enthusiasm, and (yes) the attitude. IMO she should have been the FIRST person inducted into any Rock Hall of Fame.

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:18

I thougth she said it well last night. Something to the effect of when she started out she had no tallent and whoever signed her singed her in spite of this.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:27

HelterSkelter Wrote:
How superficial, shame on you CC (this sounds like a Tralala post) - would not expect this "People Magazine" attitude from you...Patti Smith is the real deal, more than I can say for a lot of aging ROCKER$.......

I am nothing if not superficial. I'm surprised that you are surprised. I thought you knew me better than that.

BTW, I owe you an email, but I've been putting together my thoughts, I can only jump on every once in a while to that site tho.

Date: March 13, 2007 20:30

Harty Har Har

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:32

truth be told, i can't think of one stones cover i like by anyone, really. sure there's lots of okay ones, but none better than the stones' original.

yep, god knows what anyone saw in patti smith: people have the power, wing, spell (ginsberg's footnote to howl), dancin' barefoot, summer cannibals, easter, frederick, because the night, rock and roll nigger, china bird, up there down there, ghost dance, piss factory, babelogue, 25th floor, free money, strange messengers, gung ho, going under, where duty calls.......gets some scenester wannabe named lenny kaye to play guitar, marries some nobody who was in some supposedly 'legendary' band named ng7 or mc5 or something, has the gall to be a woman over-50 playing rock without heavy makeup and plastic surgery or catering to fashion, does a mini-set warts-and-all at the R&R HOF seemingly without a proper voice warmup, and now on her latest cd dares to cover the stones 32 years after her first round of publicity photos had her in a keef t-shirt? nah, nothing to see here folks, keep moving...and never forgive a crappy performance, ever...

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 13, 2007 20:36

Heh, heh, Cheers winter! Well said.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 13, 2007 21:15

Patti was great back then and IMO deserves this tribute from her peers. Definetly belongs in that HOF.
But she shouldn't play anymore. That was so f*ckin awful last night. Not just Gimme Shelter . But the final jam, and this is NOT her fault, was embarrassingly bad. Paul Shaffer was actually scurrying on stage in and around the guitarrists with a ledger, clipboard in his hand, moving people along. All in a "rock'n roll fashion " of course. All done in rockin cool way! I laughed so hard. There was Steven Stills hitting those laud notes and you saw Paul's hands creeping up his shoulders, getting more and more persisitent. He was probably telling him "Hey let Brother Keith have a go. He's got a good groove goin over there.." You name anyone in the Paul Shaffer Band and -I HATE THEM! smiling smiley

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: March 13, 2007 21:21

One more thing - the last jam had these surreal moments. Funny enough Sammy Hagar throughout the whole night was pretty damn cool. He has been (I think) the person I've hated more than anyone ever. But everytime he was on camera he climbed higher and higher on my integrity meter. And of all people on stage who seemed to know the Patti S song better than anyone else? Hagar. Hats off to Michael Anthony too.
Who was that negro hoppin everywhere with a silly grin on his face?

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 13, 2007 21:38

ChelsD, i don't understand...patti smith shouldn't play anymore because of some doofus setup HOF mini-gig sucked?!?! she wasn't just good "in the day"; i've seen her 3-4 times in the '90's and the 2000's, never left disappointed.

by that logic, dylan, keef and ronnie should never have played another note after Live Aid, no? no Oh Mercy or anytihng beyond it, no Talk Is Cheap or any of the '89-'07 RS shows for keef, etc.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 13, 2007 21:40

patti is terrific. She is a genuine rock and roll performer. I would recommend going to see her live. As far as recordings I only have a few boots, but she puts on a great show.

Date: March 13, 2007 21:51

Yes Winter, you are right. I kind of dropped my thought becasue I got so caught up in describing Paul Shaffer's antics.
I have seen Patti..I don't even know how many times. Many many times. In the day in NYC - countless. Opening for the Stones. And I love the way her songs , her old songs, hold up and reverberate today. E.g the opening sequence of "Natural Born Killers". But Patti has always been a poet and messenger for,peace. So often it is just perfect enough to hear "Horses", "Ethiopia" and "Easter" in today's world and see it take hold.
But - her new stuff to me syas nothing. And I have seen her still several times in concert. It's not that I leave angry or turned off. I am thinking "She's done her job. Whydon't she go home?" That yodeling that sounded edgy back then just sounds tired. I think "Why is this old woman doing this on that stage?" She is not a young chick. She herself will talk and write all about it. Being a mother, a poet, a grownup soul. But I do not get that from her present day performance.
I understand the love she holds for Lenny Laye. He was her very fist ally. Stood by her when no one else would. And then was guitarman through the glory days. But I don't want to see them together on stage anymore. They are old and grey. Nothing wrong with that per se; just don't want to be a rockstar anymore.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 13, 2007 21:52

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> And of all people on stage who seemed to know the Patti S
> song better than anyone else? Hagar.

No surprise. Hagar covered "Free Money" on his first solo album in 1976. Had to be the first time anyone else did a Patti Smith song.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 13, 2007 21:57

When oh when is video from the show going to be online?

Nothing on youtube yet......

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: March 13, 2007 22:06

Great version

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: March 13, 2007 22:11

I believe you can see the show on the site that had it up last night. They said it was going to be on demand this week.

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: March 13, 2007 22:11

Start with one part Beat Poet, add one part Keith Richards, Blend with one part Lou Reed, mix in one part Jim Morrison= Patti Smith. Seems like an OK recipe to me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 13, 2007 22:16

>> i believe you can see the show on the site that had it up last night. <<

i guess that works in some parts of the world, but it keeps telling me the show is
"currently unavailable in [my] area". grr
i've always dug Patti Smith. rock on

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 13, 2007 22:57

its really not that bad , the music is fine, the vocals are a bit lame

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 13, 2007 23:10

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Yes Winter, you are right. I kind of dropped my
> thought becasue I got so caught up in describing
> Paul Shaffer's antics.
> I have seen Patti..I don't even know how many
> times. Many many times. In the day in NYC -
> countless. Opening for the Stones. -----

Are you suggesting only ol' geezers should be rockers, Chelsea? yawning smiley
I remember other occasions ya jumped on them female rockers..

Most I've heard of her stuff is growin' with her ageing.

But.. To each his own.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2717
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home