Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Patti Smith-Gimme Shelter
Posted by: 5string ()
Date: March 14, 2007 23:02

Hey, cool Cindy. Now how about that country classic--Why Can't We All Just Get A Longneck? I'm for that! Cheers Y'all!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 14, 2007 23:05

"yeh she had some gray in her hair. and a moustache...and probably hairy armpits too" ---
With the exception of Keith's stache the male rockers dont have top cope with
such low, sleazy attacks. Let her grow hair whatever the @#$%& she wants, man! sad smiley

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: March 14, 2007 23:29

consider this: Patti Smith might be the darling of the NY rock press elite but that doesn’t negate her talent or contribution, right. Mark Furman may have planted the glove in the OJ trial but that does not automatically mean that OJ is innocent.One doesn't exclude the other. Some artist can be both critical successes and good in their own rights just as some artists can be both commercial successes and good artists also. I like PS a lot. Saw her twice in concert. Also she stood up for Keith during his drug in Canada. She sang an acoustic blues in NYC club titled Blues for KR. Kinda like the Who in ’67 covering a stones song after the Redlands bust.

Hope no one’s going after Tom Waits next.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: March 15, 2007 00:06

She's like a reacurring nightmare. I thought I had seen enough of her in the deluge of Hype in the 70's but now shes back butchering other people's songs because she dosen't have any of her own. It's like putting a 200 hitter in the Baseball H.O.F. because he chewed tobacco well.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 15, 2007 00:22

Keithfan64, ain't you the same guy that wants SAM THE SHAM AND THE PHARAOHS (one hit wonders who somehow miraculously penned WOLLY BULLY) induced into the Rock and Roll HOF? How about THE COWSILLS and THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY? Thank's for the comic relief my man, I'm LMAO......Your comment set off quite a chukle fest too, great stuff - keep it up.....

Date: March 15, 2007 00:56

Helter, Sam the Sham had Wolly Bully, Ju Ju Hand, Ring Dang Doo, Little Red Riding Hood and two other top 40 hits while Smith had and deserved None. Sam the Sham and the Pharouhs were a red hot Memphis rock and soul band as evidenced by their album cuts, great performances of old R+B songs. Their Voodoo concept album is a classic. Unfortunatly due to puplic ignorance,hint, their original LPs aren't on CD. Have you heard their versions of I Found a Love, Red Hot, Mystery Train or Big Blue Diamonds? To Quote Kriss Krisstofferson "your the only one that you are screwing when you put down what you don't understand". P.S. Aren't you the one who dosen't think JFK was a consperacy? LOL!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-15 02:23 by keithfan64.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 15, 2007 01:10

I was watching a replay of the RRHOF and I think I did see Eddie Van Halen there...........Oh,no,wait,.................that's Patti Smith.....Hard to tell the difference these days.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 15, 2007 02:21

[www.oceanstar.com]

patti for creem mag on stones 1/1973; perhaps of interest....

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 15, 2007 03:04

KeithFan when it comes to PatTi doing cover songs, you say,
<< because she dosen't have any of her own>>

she has had more original output since 1995 then the Rolling Stones.

She is being bashed for doing an album of covers on a fansite for a group that gained its first fame thru several albums as a cover band.

No problem if you do not like Patti Smith,everyone gets an opinion. Just weird what some people choose to criticise her for and where they chose to do it. I thinks she is great though I find her carreer to be erratic and have never been able to listen thru Radio Ethiopia at one sitting.I also think that a small sign of her talent is the ways that many of her peers respect her: Dylan, Springsteen, Keith, many of the rest we idolize have worked with, toured with, performed with, or at least admitted admiration for her.

Date: March 15, 2007 04:14

Right Kahoosier, that rings a bell, didn't Patti Smith do some club shows with Dylan in NYC about 10 years ago? I'm almost sure they did a duet on the great but very rarely played DARK EYES from EMPIRE BURLESQUE if I remember correctly... Good point......

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 15, 2007 04:29

Dylan and Patti did a tour together, as I remember basically each doing acoustic sets seperately and yes they did duet on Dark Eyes

Date: March 15, 2007 04:46

Kaoosier, I was refering to last nights H.O.F. performance when she did mostly songs by other artists, the Stones, 10,000 Maniacs during her feature set. Highly unusual. People usually do the songs that made them famous during their spot at the H.O.F. The secret is not having original material, its having hit original material, which she dosen't.

Date: March 15, 2007 05:11

64, must have got a D- in Rock and Roll class. That's not a 10,000 Maniacs song, it's BECAUSE THE NIGHT by Springsteen. Smith and The Maniacs did fine cover versions. Gimme Shelter was only done because she's so against the war. She could have done DANCING BAREFOOT which is a great song that U2 did a great version of. She does have a lot of well know songs the same way Iggy Pop does (have to be in tune to them a bit) You want a non - spontanious, programed Greatest Hits show go see the Stones this summer....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 15, 2007 05:16

December 1995

[i96.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-15 05:17 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 15, 2007 05:28

I thought it sounded like a Bruce song and was impressed that she had writtin it then someone told me it was a Maniacs song. I never paid any attention to her or any of the punks so excuse my ignorance.

Date: March 15, 2007 05:37

No Problemo, I'm not her biggest fan but she's the real deal, for better or for worse and I dig that. I also dig P R and the Raiders, a few Sam the Shams, The Standells, 96 Tears, Tommy James, DC5, on and on so I'm on both sides....

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 15, 2007 06:08

winter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.oceanstar.com]
>
> patti for creem mag on stones 1/1973; perhaps of
> interest....

..........thank you winter.....absolutely fascinating read.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: March 15, 2007 09:08

Don't know much about her, but the Gimme Shelter cover sucks ass.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: March 17, 2007 07:38

Patti Smith's version of "Gimme Shelter" is the best Rolling Stones cover I've ever heard. Her voice is amazing...it's gotten better as she's gotten older.

Sorry about those of you who don't appreciate her immense talent.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home