Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fender Esquire
Posted by: Borna ()
Date: March 9, 2007 23:41

What do you think about new Fender Esquire for just 500 € ? Available in Zagreb ;-)

Re: Fender Esquire
Date: March 11, 2007 12:28

I think that it's a very good guitar

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 11, 2007 16:15

I think it's a Tele that's lacks a pickup.

Mathijs

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 11, 2007 17:35

Yeah, a guitar with one pickup is kind of hard to get overly excited about.

Date: March 11, 2007 17:39

Glass Slide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, a guitar with one pickup is kind of hard to
> get overly excited about.

I can get overly excited about a 1959 Gibson Les Paul TV Double Cut Away with turtoise guard!

Mathijs

Date: March 11, 2007 17:42

I can get excited about most things that contain the following in their title---"1959" and "Gibson Les Paul"

I mean I could certainly get excited about an early '50's Fender Telecaster Esquire.

And those Fender reproductions of EVH's original Frankenstrat are pretty damn exciting too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-11 18:15 by Glass Slide.

Date: March 11, 2007 22:42

but the price is very nice- 500 €, and it's very easy to put another pick-up on it, it will cost me about 40 €.

Date: March 11, 2007 22:44

Borna Wrote:
> but the price is very nice- 500 €, and it's very
> easy to put another pick-up on it, it will cost me
> about 40 €.

If you put in another pickup I'd spend some more, say €100 for a good Antiquity of Lollar.

Mathijs

Date: March 11, 2007 22:52

If you are buying it with the thought of putting another pickup in it--ie; not making it an Esquire--why not look for a Telecaster that already has 2 pickups?

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: March 12, 2007 01:13

I have a '60 Les Paul Jr. and, in this case, one pickup is all you need. It has a great resonate clean sound and absolutely screams when you crank it. I have a Tokai Tele, and if I didn't have the neck pickup, it would be limiting.

Date: March 12, 2007 11:52

Because it sounds much better than new american telecaster, that costs about 1400€, and doesn't have that twangy telecaster sound that we all love.

Posted by: Telecaster_man ()
Date: March 12, 2007 15:17

Esquire mex classic 50+neck pickup=Telecaster mex classic 50=less than 600€ look at it dude

---------------------------------------------
Shattered !!!
---------------------------------------------

Date: March 12, 2007 16:15

yes, 550€ for fantastic sounding and looking telecaster

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 12, 2007 19:11

The Mexican Classic Teles are very nice. The stock pickups can certainly stand some improvement but otherwise they're nice guitars. You can find some really nice light resonant ones if you check a few out.
The Esquire does actually sound different to a twin pickup Tele. This is partly because you don't have the magnetic field of the front pickup pulling on the strings and damping their vibration. So you get an even bigger twang monster in a nice Esquire ;^)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-13 10:34 by Spud.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 12, 2007 23:12

Borna Wrote:
> but the price is very nice- 500 €, and it's very
> easy to put another pick-up on it, it will cost me
> about 40 €.

Indeed, it's very easy to put a neck pick-up in if you need it.
All Esquires are routed for a neck pick-up even the old ones.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 13, 2007 05:53

I've posted this before, but a lot of Jeff Beck's work
with the Yardbirds was done with an Esquire,
as well as some of McCartney's guitar work on Sgt. Pepper
and solo McCartney album.

Date: March 13, 2007 16:27

I just bought it!!!!!!:-)

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 13, 2007 17:01

Enjoy!

Esquires are very cool guitars IMO. I've got a thing about single pick-up guitars - no frills, minimum wiring and controls and, if you get a good 'un, a very resonant body.

Date: March 14, 2007 03:01

Borna Wrote:
> I just bought it!!!!!!:-)

Congratulations

here's some inspiration from Rich & Chris Robinson

what colour is it?

Date: March 15, 2007 12:14

and it's fantastic guitar! actually, it's my first telecaster (I played stratocaster before) and I can't belive how good it is!

Date: March 15, 2007 12:29

open-g Wrote:

> All Esquires are routed for a neck pick-up even
> the old ones.

?? where did you get this information from? It's absolutely not true. The Esquire simply was a Tele with one pickup, with no routes for a second pickup, as Leo Fender could not imagine a guitarist would need more than one pickup. But immediatly after the sale of the first dozen guitars, players mentioned to Leo that they wanted a second pickup in order to fill in for the bass player. Leo then extended the Esquire line to a "double Esquire", which basically is a standard Tele. The name for the double Esquire soon changed to Broadcaster, so Leo could promote two guitars instead of one. It was only a marketing trick to change the name.

All single Esquires (meaning: with one pickup) have no routing for a second pickup. This also means that adjusting the neck is difficult, as you have no entrence to the truss rod.

Esquires are known to sound really brutal and aggresive, sometimes sounding more like a P90 equipped Junior than a Tele, This mainly is due to the lack of magnetic pull from the missing second pickup, but also due to the more simple electronics (as most players would simply cut all electronics, and only used the volume pot). Rich Robinson is a good example of how brutal an esquire can sound. The By Your Side album is recorded mostly using an Esquire. Bruce Springsteen has been playing Esquire's from the start of his carreer.

Mathijs

Date: March 15, 2007 18:39

I got the information from the Telecaster Discussion Page (TDPRI).

I said the old ones,
and wasn't referring to the first prototype ones.
When the single-pickup Esquire went into full production with a truss rod and contol switch in January 1951.

also this:
"Like the two-pickup guitar, these Esquires had a routing cavity in the neck pickup position. Thus, with the purchase of a neck pickup and replacement or modification of the scratchplate, players could upgrade their instrument to a guitar identical to the Telecaster in every respect except for the model decal."
[www.answers.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 15, 2007 18:43

A few of the very earliest ones didn't even have a truss rod...so adjusting it wasn't an issue ;^). Many soon received replacement necks as the requirement for the rod became apparent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home