Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi-OT: Stereo/Turntable Question
Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 15, 2007 17:33

Hey Gang -

I was very excited to stop by my record store yesterday and find a copy of Beggars Banquet RSVP. A year of patient collecting has finally paid off!

BUT

The real question I have is regarding turntables and additional set-ups. My dad gave me his old turntable last year. It's from 1971, so it doesn't have a pre-amp in it, so you can't just plug and play, so to speak. But I don't know what additional equipment I need - I would assume a regular amp hook-up and speakers. Is that all?

Re: Semi-OT: Stereo/Turntable Question
Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: March 15, 2007 17:44

two things comes to my mind -

most amps are still having a phono line-in plug which is prepared for the lower electric impedance of your turntable. connect him there and it'll work.

in case your amp doesn't have such a connection you can buy a pre-amp which will be connected between your turntable and your amp which will transform the signal to the same impedance of a tapedeck, cd-player - whatever. so you'll be able to connect your turntable (via the pre-amp) to any other line-in connection you'd like.

hope that helps ?!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 15, 2007 17:59

I had to buy such a pre-amp when to connect the turntable to the new stereo I got, as the old one was blown up.
But the volume is way to low when I play vinyls. So, I have to put the volume on maximum to get it loud enough.
But when I do that...there's lots of surface noize and buzzing,
so in other words I can't play vinyls anymore. Untill I buy a new amp, whenever that happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-15 18:01 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 15, 2007 18:28

It's a Scott PS-17A - belt drive, if that helps.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 15, 2007 18:41

silkcut's advice is all good. If you need to get an external phono pre-amp, you still have to be careful to match it up with the turntable's cartrdige. There are different pre-amps for moving-coil and moving-magnet cartridges. I'd do a little searching and see what type you have and also what milli-volt output the cartridge delivers.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 15, 2007 18:49

There's a little phono amp from Pro-Ject that comes with it's own wall-wart and is equipped to suit all current types of cartridge. Not much bigger than a packet of cigs, doesn't cost much and sounds excellent
[much better in fcat than the after thought phono stages that are included in most recent amplifiers where the manufactuer has bothered... and a worthwhile upgrade over the phono stage of many modest integrated amplifiers]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home