Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones covers performed by your local club/pub band
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: March 3, 2007 22:16

Before I forget....THANKS to all fellow Stones fans who checked out the tunes on my band's website (The Amazing Mongooses). Both "Rainy Day" and "Didn't Think You'd Lie to Me" have over 600 plays now, so SOMEBODY has been listening, and I'm grateful! You can still check it out at:
[www.myspace.com]

Now to my question:

What Stones songs, performed by your local club or pub band, either make you jump up and sing, or make you want to grab your gun?

In my band now, we play Brown Sugar, but we've also been playing tunes like Live With Me, a couple of tunes off of ABB (Back of My Hand, and Rain Fall Down), plus some older stuff like What A Shame, Down the Road a Piece, Route 66, and so on.

In previous bands over the years, we've covered Street Fighting Man, Midnight Rambler, plus the usual warhorses of JJF, HTW, etc.

I've heard some local band versions of JJF and HTW that made my skin crawl, and I just can't bring myself to play those tunes anymore.

What Stones songs would you love to hear your local cover band attempt, and what songs should be offically banned from further performance?

Re: Stones covers performed by your local club/pub band
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 3, 2007 22:34

We play "Honky Tonk Women", "Start Me Up","Dead Flowers", and "Evening Gown". All are lots of fun to play and people dig 'em.

Next we're gonna learn "The Last Time".

Posted by: czr ()
Date: March 3, 2007 22:58

Midnight Rambler was the only band I've seen do decent versions of Stones tunes. They were a tribute band that were popular around 90. The Singer went on to create a company that produces shows of classic albums live. They call themselves.....you guessed it Classic Albums Live. (classicalbumslive.com) If you ever get a chance to check their Stones shows, go for it. They do Sticky Fingers note for note. The singer is the same guy from Midnight Rambler. They travel all over North America.

Now as for the gun, every time I hear a band do a Stones tune I wish I had one. Execpt when my band plays a Stones tune. Lol Hehe. (we do Brown Sugar)
These cover bands in my city don't understand, that it's all about drummer following the guitarists and the rest of the band following the drummer.
Not the band being tight as can be. Loosey Goosey!smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-05 06:55 by czr.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 3, 2007 23:06

Very good point about the drummer following the guitar player.

The worst is bands that play the open G songs in std tuning.

Used to be a Canadian band called Blushing Brides that was very good. This was yrs ago.

Date: March 3, 2007 23:09

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess my all time worst would be a situation where a wedding band tried to play "Miss You" right after butchering a song like "Girl from Ipanema" or something. THAT would make me look for the first bottle that I could throw at the stage!

Elmo, I've done Dead Flowers in the past, too, and it is always a crowd pleaser.

When I was in Boston in the late 70s when I was at Berklee, there was a Stones tribute band called The Blushing Brides that I heard was very interesting. I never went out to hear them, but I understand that they learned all of their tunes exclusively from Stones bootlegs as opposed to the studio versions, wanting to get as close to the live sound as possible. Not a bad way to think about it, actually.

Date: March 3, 2007 23:13

That is interesting about Blushing Brides. Saw them once, in the '80s at Great Adventure in NJ, of all places. It was actually kind of cool. Blushing Brides played about a set and then they showed Ladies and Gentlemen on a HUGE screen. It was the first time I saw the movie and it solidified Mick Taylor as one of my all-time guitar gods.

Blushing Brides, I remember being very very good and pretty much captured the Stones groove, which is an absolute necessity if you are going to really emulate the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-03 23:15 by Glass Slide.

Date: March 3, 2007 23:34

I wonder if there will be lot more "tribute" bands over the next few years as groups like the Stones start winding it down a little. There have been tribute bands for Zeppelin, Doors, Pink Floyd, etc. I guess we'll all know when we're officially old when there is a tribute band for somebody like Silverchair!

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: March 4, 2007 00:16

we have done
last time ,
jj flash
nd ht women

all af thema always so well with dancing audience.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 4, 2007 00:45

I once saw a band in a club do Down in the Hole and CS Blues.

The singer weirdly mumbled the CSB lyrics, it was a strange but oddly good version.

Afterwards he seemed surprised that I could name that tune

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 4, 2007 01:21

Brown Sugar and Can't You Hear Me Knocking regular in the set.

Date: March 4, 2007 01:25

loog droog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I once saw a band in a club do Down in the Hole
> and CS Blues.
>
> The singer weirdly mumbled the CSB lyrics, it was
> a strange but oddly good version.
>
> Afterwards he seemed surprised that I could name
> that tune

Now that was a band that was SERIOUSLY into the Stones. Probably 90% of the people there had no idea they were Stones songs.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 4, 2007 01:32

Play Carol and Route 66.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 4, 2007 07:38

I've done several different Stones tunes in several different bands....."Jumping Jack Flash" and "Honky Tonk Women" that made me cringe with a terrible beer joint band. I wanted to take them off the setlist because they played them so badly. But I played with a couple of other bands that did good versions of "Jumping Jack Flash".
All in all I think I (band's I've played in) have covered....

Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction
Dead Flowers
Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
Sympathy For The Devil
Wild Horses

I think maybe one or two more......

Posted by: gdgbd ()
Date: March 4, 2007 08:34

My pub rock band plays Don't stop, harlem suffle, SMU and HTW. SMU and HTW are real crowd pleasers. Sometimes rain fall down - for the dance groove.

Date: March 4, 2007 16:58

Yeah, that's the exact reason we did Rain Fall Down, great groove. There are a few more obscure (to the general public, that is) Stones songs that also have a great groove on 'em......Baby Break it Down (from VL), Spider and the Fly.

Speaking of tribute bands, last night for fun I googled "Led Zeppelin Tribute Bands," and you wouldn't believe how many of them there are. Some of these guys have really sinked the bucks into the equipment, lights, etc.

Not sure if I could ever do that. "What do you do for a living?" "Oh, I play John Bonham in a tribute band, six nights a week...." Listening to them on line, though, some of them have very much got the sound and the look down to a science.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 4, 2007 17:04

A few years ago my wife invited me to the local Irish Pub on my birthday. That meant Guinness and live music. A guy with an acoustic guitar performed some classical rock songs. I looked at my Guinness and my wife and told her: "All I need now is that guy playing a Stones song". Don't know if he heard that but he went strum (Am) strum (Am7) strum (Am) ... can you guess the song? ... but wait! He suddenly sang in German: "Andreas" (i.e. Andrew), Andreas, wann geh'n die Wolken endlich weg?" - Very sophisticated version of Angie!

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: March 4, 2007 17:09

We play Brown Sugar, HTW and Start Me Up.

NickB

[www.myspace.com]

Date: March 4, 2007 18:01

Hey, NickB, I just listened to your stuff, you guys aren't bad! Nice harmonies. Greetings from Atlanta.

Our set lists for The Amazing Mongooses are listed at:
[www.setlist.com]

(Scroll down to "Amazing Mongooses" and look for setlists between 5/1/04 and 3/1/07).

Looks like our two bands have been influenced by a lot of the same music.

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: March 4, 2007 19:06

i play bass in my dad's blues/rock band.
we cover honkey tonk women, jumping jack flash and cry to me.

we do honkey tonk pretty close to the stones, but jumping jack flash we change a lot. our keyboard player was actually david gilmour's keyboardist in the 1980's, and also played in Bad Company and Uriah Heap, so he is the authority in the band. We do jumping jack flash in a very psychedelic hammond organ through a leslie speaker kind of way, almost makes me think of born to be wild more than the stones sound.

and cry to me is almost done over the top to give it a 50's ballad kind of sound, again, beautiful piano becomes the lead instrument.

other than that all of the songs we do are blues standards.

HTW is always the first song that gets people up dancing though, thats for sure.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: March 4, 2007 19:24

I used to see a classic rock cover band in the 80's and early 90's called The Batz that would play Too Tough if we drunkenly called for it enough. The singer used to say, looks like the tough guys are here.

I saw a punk / grunge-ish band called Texass do a smokin' version of Memo From Turner as an encore in a club about '91 or so. Just floored me (My buddy and I were probably the only people in the room other than the band who knew what they were playing). I have always secretly hoped that a Texass boot would show up on Dime someday.

My friends had a not too talented garge band called Gravy and they used to do Sympathy. I enjoyed it at least.

I'm tired, I'm tired of doing what I'm told.
Things are moving way too slow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-05 02:43 by cbtaco19.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: March 4, 2007 22:14

Mongoose Wrote:
> I wonder if there will be lot more "tribute" bands
> over the next few years as groups like the Stones
> start winding it down a little. There have been
> tribute bands for Zeppelin, Doors, Pink Floyd,
> etc. I guess we'll all know when we're officially
> old when there is a tribute band for somebody like
> Silverchair!

Just to cover this point and to show how popular tribute bands are, I noticed that the Bootleg Beatles were playing in the UK for around £9000 ($18000) a NIGHT, according to a website that I found a few months ago. Even if they only get HALF that they're doing well in my book.

Tribute bands are big business in the UK.

Incidentally we are a Stones covers band - no dressing up for us! We play most of the great Stones songs, and a few lesser known ones from time to time. I don't recall ever doing a gig where the audience didn't think we were doing a fantastic job. It's quite unusual for us to do a gig now and nobody comes to shake our hands and talk to us at the end of the gig.

I didn't see anybody carrying a gun though...... winking smiley

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: czr ()
Date: March 4, 2007 23:31

Glass Slide Wrote:
> Very good point about the drummer following the
> guitar player.
>
> The worst is bands that play the open G songs in
> std tuning.
>
> Used to be a Canadian band called Blushing Brides
> that was very good. This was yrs ago.

Yes the Blushing Brides. I believe there is some conection with BB & Midnight Rambler. Some of the same members....? I haven't conected the two bands yet but one day I'll find the conection. I believe the BB's recorded a LP back in the day. They were very popular here on the East Coast of Canada. I was just turning 19 when they stopped playing here.
Midnight Rambler was just getting started. They did it all from "The Last Time" to "Miss You" the singer even looked like Mick, a taller more buff Mick but that dude's got his lips & the girls loved em!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 5, 2007 06:26

I wish I still went to clubs in my spare time , but they've past me by

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 5, 2007 06:32

In San Francisco/Bay Area, the Unauthorized Rolling Stones are great - especially awesome Midnight Rambler, Can U Hear Me knocking, Dead Flowers, Honky tonk Woman, Miss You, Gimme Shelter, Monkey Man, Brown Suger, JJf, and on!!! It certainly helps that they are great musicians and keeps the Stones doldrums away!

Listening right now to "The British Beat" on PBS - reunions from the 60's, think the Stones might be on soon....

Posted by: kelv ()
Date: March 6, 2007 14:48

Only Stones coverband i know of in Australia is "Jaggers Banquet" which as of last gig are now called "Like A Rolling Stone" [profile.myspace.com]
Their website gives a pretty good idea of the songs they play, really do a good Dead Flowers, Sweet Virginia and Sympathy as well as doing old favourites like Let It Bleed, Can't always get what you want, and the the usual songs you'd expect.
For any Aussies in Melbourne they've got a gig on Friday at the Pint on Punt (details on website), well worth going to,
Kelvin

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: March 6, 2007 15:02

The band I used to be in opened with Brown Sugar. We also did JJF and HTW. These always went down well even though we had a crap singer!!

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: March 6, 2007 15:24

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> We play "Honky Tonk Women", "Start Me Up","Dead
> Flowers", and "Evening Gown". All are lots of fun
> to play and people dig 'em.
>
> Next we're gonna learn "The Last Time".

My bands have always had one stones song per show.
They are almost exactly the same ones as you band Elmo
HTW, SMU, and Dead Flowers (never did Evening Gown)

Others we have done include SFTD and Brown Sugar

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: March 6, 2007 15:31

Sweet Virginia and Motorpsycho is the band

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: March 6, 2007 19:46

The bands I've been in have covered;
Start Me Up
Wild Horses
Jumpin Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Last Time
Not Fade Away
Sweet Virginia
Route 66
Dead Flowers

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 6, 2007 19:57

Believe me only twice I have heard a cover band perform a Stones song (that is excluding "tribute" bands, of course). The usual suspects: satisfaction and angie. Forgettable experience.

C

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home