Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the YCAGWYW chant
Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: February 28, 2007 06:01

OK, I think we all can agree that stadium shows, by their very nature, kind of suck. (And even if you don't actually agree, I've just said you do, so too late!) And we generally know the reasons why. In fact, I think that only one song has been heightened by the 'stadium experience.'

And that song is the majestic You Can't Always Get What You Want.

As I'm sure you all agree, there's just something wonderfully invigorating about 50,000 people chanting one of life's profound truths: "you can't always get what you want!" Normally, chanting masses are associated with the exact opposite: unrealistic - and typically dangerous - demands. Not so at a Stones show: rather, the vuglar masses are chanting a hymn to realism. How wonderful! Doesn't it just get the ole blood rushing? (And we smokers take that any way we can get it!)

So, Stones fans, it's true: you can't always get what you want. This summer's shows will, sadly, be held in football stadiums. But at least this is one upside we can look forward to!

Re: the YCAGWYW chant
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 28, 2007 06:38

I think YCAGWYW has actually improved on this recent tour & is one of the highlights. I dont know why but the sing a long just really works, its just one of those things.

One of my fave versions is the hampton show. Ive grown to really like it. The crowd is great, singing a long and also realy getting into and feeling the jam.

(I hope you saw my response to you in the TD thread)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 28, 2007 07:57

I totally agree ryanpow....Hampton has so much feeling in it and the crowd actually sings in tune!
A epic song that deserves an epic setting, and while you can't have the London Symphony choir, 40,000 people preaching YCAGWYW is an emotional moment.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: February 28, 2007 08:36

I agree it really works well in Stadiums, I also think Sympathy for the Devil works just as well and is a must do song in a stadium show.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 28, 2007 09:19

Sadly they didn't play it at Twickenhan 1 last year

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 28, 2007 14:09

They did at Twickenham 2. People living near the stadium said they sat out in their gardens and listened to the crowd singing.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 28, 2007 15:20

The last time I couldn't get what I wanted: the You'l never make a saint of me stadium chant.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 28, 2007 15:40

I agree, YCAGWYW works perfect in stadiums

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 28, 2007 16:34

Am I in a minority here?... IMO, the crowd's singing along with every song... in particular this song... the crowd unfortunately can overpower Mick's voice. I've seen Mick pointing his mic at the audience for the chorus... cueing us to sing:

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want

But is he really just givng up trying to be heard over the thunderously loud crowd? Is that why he's cueing us? Mick tries to continue over the crowd... I struggle hear Mick, over the crowd:

I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled
I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And man, did he look pretty ill
We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red
I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
And he said one word to me, and that was "dead"
I said to him...

Maybe cue the audience for the second chorus... But most people in the audience can't seem to wait for the second chours... or the first, for that matter. Some people start singing along with the very first line of the song: "I SAW HER TODAY AT THE RECEPTION! WOOOOOOO!!!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-28 16:35 by schillid.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 28, 2007 16:40

at one show (at least!) the audience came in with the YCAGWYW chorus at such a totally wrong moment
that Mick winced in pain: "no no not like that - here let me show you"

audiences start the Brown Sugar yeah yeah yeah WOOOs way early too -
it's funny, but somehow it seems like the Ronnie-side crowd is the most susceptible to this.

Date: February 28, 2007 16:50

The ultimate parody of Mick's giving up to the audience became the Cherry Red line in the song.

Originally he sang:

We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red

But now, it's "what's your favorite flovor????!!!!!"Points the mic at the audience... palm to the back of his ear, as if to hear better...
"CHERRY RED!!!!" the crowd screams!

Date: February 28, 2007 17:00

he did that on the Urban Jungle tour - haven't really noticed it so much since then.
i was at the concert in Prague, where 100 000 people had gathered from all over the just-ex-Communist countries
for the concert they'd been waiting all their lives for. hearing that crowd -
comprised primarily of downtrodden people who had only ever had piecemeal access to Western music -
radiantly roar out that ~*CHERRY RED!*~ as if they'd been born to roar it -
that was so splendid that i wept. the power & glory of rock & roll, baby

Date: February 28, 2007 17:02

schillid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ultimate parody of Mick's giving up to the
> audience became the Cherry Red line in the song.
>
> Originally he sang:
>
> We decided that we would have a soda
> My favorite flavor, cherry red
>
> But now, it's "what's your favorite
> flovor????!!!!!"Points the mic at the audience...
> palm to the back of his ear, as if to hear
> better...
> "CHERRY RED!!!!" the crowd screams!

I don't think that's a parody at all, it's not censorship like the Some Girls-thing,
remember Bruce SPrinsteen with Thumder Road and Hungry Heart in 78/80...that was a great moment.

Date: February 28, 2007 17:04

Hearing you say that makes me reconsider my opinion...
that it's always better to hear Mick sing the verses alone.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 28, 2007 18:12

Great comments....I also love the "Hoo hoo's" from Sympathy.

Date: February 28, 2007 18:15

Lukester Wrote:
> Great comments....I also love the "Hoo hoo's" from
> Sympathy.

How about the "Hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo-hoo-hoo's" from Miss You? I wish they'd gave that one a break...that is unless they REALLY want to do it, themselves.

Date: February 28, 2007 18:41

SFD audience singing works much better for me...
More like musical response to Mick's singing...makes a great counerpoint.

It's interesting that for many years they played 'sympathy' live without the "ooh ooh" vocals. Not sure when they brought that back... probably around the time of chuck.(?) Back in 1969, when played live, SFD was a like complete other song compared to BB.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: February 28, 2007 19:11

I think all of these sing alongs work great. Brown Sugar, Get off of My Cloud, Saint of Me etc.
I just don't think they need to have so many sing alongs in a show. 2 or 3 is plenty, not six or seven. They sort of rotate the sing alongs from tour to tour but there are more long songs and therefore fewer songs now.

Date: February 28, 2007 19:20

Keith is pretty clearly not a big singalong fan -
at Vienna during Streets of Love he and Ronnie were a riot, doing this exaggeratedly doleful ay ay ay ay
with their arms draped sorrowfully around each other's shoulders;
and at Cardiff during the YCAGWYW singalong Keith was crouched right at the edge of the stage
pretty openly making fun of it all.

Date: February 28, 2007 19:21

What's an audience to do?

Date: February 28, 2007 19:25

>> What's an audience to do? <<

let it steal your heart away.

that's what it's for.

Date: February 28, 2007 21:36

Lukester Wrote:
> Great comments....I also love the "Hoo hoo's" from
> Sympathy.

no! it's the *sentiment*, silly. it's 50,000 chanting something as sensible (yet strangely poetic) as "you can't always get what you want!"

sorry, but the primitive calls of "woo woo" don't really compare . . .what's next, is someone going to claim the caveman stomp of "Hey! Hey!" from YGMR is just as good?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-01 00:32 by Forty Niks.

Date: February 28, 2007 21:56

How about:

"We will, We Will, ROCK YOU!"

or

"Na-na
Na-na-na-na
Hey, hey
Goodbye!"

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 28, 2007 23:29

Forty Niks Wrote:
> OK, I think we all can agree that stadium shows,
> by their very nature, kind of suck.

Speak for yourself man...

I mean, sure, a stones clubshow is mind-blowing, but a stones stadium show is a great event. It would be nice to have more variety with the size of venues they play but...

For example, lets say you have a friend who is a music fan, and wants to see the stones just once, to get the rolling stones live concert experience. It has to be a stadium show, preferably with some good seats. The big stage, fireworks, effects etc are part of what the stones are known for these days. Of course, many of us hardcore fans dream of small arena and theatre shows, but its the stadium show where you get the massive light display, the chanting and singing along which becomes so loud it envelopes you...

This is what impresses the casual fan. And many of us hardcore fans love them as well. I certainly do. Although a couple of nights at the brixton academy in london this summer would be rather nice...!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 28, 2007 23:37

if all stadium shows had the sound quality of the Oalkand 06 show then I say theyre great.

Date: March 1, 2007 00:25

Mr Jimmy Wrote:
> Forty Niks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > OK, I think we all can agree that stadium
> shows,
> > by their very nature, kind of suck.
>
> Speak for yourself man...

Hey Mr. Jimmy (to quote the song at hand), you clearly missed my next comment:

"(And even if you don't actually agree, I've just said you do, so too late!)"

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 1, 2007 02:21

Yeah I know, I saw that bit. It's just that it's such a bold / big statement to say that stadium shows suck.

Do you really think they suck? Do you not enjoy them (apart from the YCAGWYW singalong) ??!!

Man I feel sorry for you (seriously) because thats pretty much the only way we can see them these days. Especially if you dont live in / travel to North America.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 1, 2007 17:53

Green Lady Wrote:
> They did at Twickenham 2. People living near the
> stadium said they sat out in their gardens and
> listened to the crowd singing.

It was such a great moment, but even better for me was Sympathy for the devil singalong.50 000 of voices singing "whoo whooo" in unison.Priceless.
The crowd was amazing during the second half of the show when the warhorses kicked in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1567
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home