Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones in Britain
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 26, 2007 11:10

If they do tour this summer, (BV said in the tour update thread that they will announce next week or the week after) I hope they play more that just a festival gig. I don't want to camp in a muddy field all weekend waiting for the Stones. I've done that and bought the tee shirt many times, I want to seem them in a stadium or an arena. When they did the Licks tour I saw them at Manchester and Wembley arena and I think that was better that a stadium.

Maybe a weeks residency at the 02 centre would be good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-26 11:14 by pgarof.

Re: Stones in Britain
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: February 26, 2007 11:30

If they would just play the IOW not many British Stones-fans will se them. 'Cause the tickets would be sold out before the announcement.
And playing Britain without being able to sell one single exclusive Stones-ticket doesn't appear to be likely.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: February 26, 2007 11:40

Yes, I'm with you, don't want to camp on IoW for 3 days - in fact I won't, even supposing I could get tickets...

But it's worrying that O2 has been taken off the rumoured list.

The thing about the IoW rumour is, if it is right then surely the German rumoured dates are wrong? OK so they presumably wouldn't be moving their stage as it's a festival, but 3 dates in a week doesn't seem to happen these days, so I'm hoping that Germany is right and IoW is wrong, with plenty of other UK/Europe dates to come.

C'mon, BV, give us a Glimmer smiling smiley

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 26, 2007 11:43

Stargroves Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The thing about the IoW rumour is, if it is right then surely the German rumoured dates are wrong?

Not necessarily. They can play Erfurt on June 8 - IoW on June 10 - Düsseldorf on 12 or 13. In 2006, they played Cardiff-Bergen-Horsens in six days. Those distances were longer.

> but 3 dates in a week doesn't seem to happen these days

Three dates a week has been the norm for most of 2005-2006.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-26 11:49 by erikjjf.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 26, 2007 11:59

Two Q': What is O2? And is there another stadium in Europe named Maracana now?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: February 26, 2007 12:00

Thanks Erik. Oh dear, I do hope we get more than just IoW

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 26, 2007 12:04

>> What is O2? <<

it used to be called the Millenium Dome: [en.wikipedia.org]

>> is there another stadium in Europe named Maracana now? <<

Stadion Crvena Zvezda is nicknamed Marakana: [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-26 12:10 by with sssoul.

Date: February 26, 2007 12:12

Yes, the 02 centre is the old millenium dome, I have never been there but what is being said about it is will be a perfect place for a concert. It holds approx 22 thousand people, dunno what the sound will be like tho'

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 26, 2007 12:39

Sound in the dome will probably be akin to playing in a large barn, i.e., not so hot. Hopefully there will be a choice of venues in the UK. The old dome apart - and not counting a festival appearance - I suppose it will be stadium gigs. Hope to catch one or two, but not going to follow them all over the place if this is the case. Prefer smaller venues - feels more intimate, sound better, less video screens & inflatables, more interesting setlists.

Of course, the Stones could prove me wrong on all counts this time around.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 26, 2007 12:49

According to the radio this morning the IOW Festival tickets are now sold out.

Date: February 26, 2007 13:05

On the IORR 2007 rumored concert section they have Stones Isle of white estimated 60,000. I thought it was 35,000 ??

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: February 26, 2007 13:14

It is not very much for a Festival Site.

Rock in Rio-Lisboa 2004 and 2006 had each day +/- 75.000 to 80.000 persons.(85.000 to see Metallica in 2004)

Date: February 26, 2007 13:22

pgarof Wrote:
> On the IORR 2007 rumored concert section they have Stones Isle of white estimated 60,000. I thought it was 35,000 ??

They had an attendance of 60,000 last year.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: February 26, 2007 13:26

I don't think IoW is happening. It's a very strong feeling I have. But the IoW-people are probably negotiating, without the intention to sign... Selling tickets is important, too! I've seen several festivals actually using the Stones in order to try to sell more tickets, especially when the other headliners ar not the most... ah - populare ones... Roskilde also tried to bring up a rumour about the Stones playing their festival.
So, yes - I believe we can expect at least two large shows in the UK. I still think Wembley (alternatively Twickers) is a good choice.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 26, 2007 13:27

pgarof Wrote:
--When
> they did the Licks tour I saw them at Manchester
> and Wembley arena and I think that was better that
> a stadium.

I was at the 29 August Wembley Arena show as well. One of the best I have ever seen.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 26, 2007 13:31

Edith Grove Wrote:
> pgarof Wrote:
> --When
> > they did the Licks tour I saw them at
> Manchester
> > and Wembley arena and I think that was better
> that
> > a stadium.
>
> I was at the 29 August Wembley Arena show as well.
> One of the best I have ever seen.

I'd go even further and say that out of the 41 Stones shows I've seen that was #1.

Date: February 26, 2007 13:34

Hey Gazza, I heard the later Wembley Arena shows in Sept. were superb as well. Did you make those?

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 26, 2007 13:35

> > I was at the 29 August Wembley Arena show as
> well.
> > One of the best I have ever seen.
>
> I'd go even further and say that out of the 41
> Stones shows I've seen that was #1.

August 29th was indeed special. probably my fave Stones gig too. the September ones were great also, but the 29th one had something extra

Date: February 26, 2007 13:36

Edith Grove Wrote:
> I heard the later Wembley Arena shows in Sept. were superb as well. Did you make those?

I saw all three Wembley Arena shows. While the two in September were really good, they didn't come close to the August 29th show. It's in my top three, I'd say.

Date: February 26, 2007 13:41

Edith Grove Wrote:
> Hey Gazza, I heard the later Wembley Arena shows
> in Sept. were superb as well. Did you make those?

I did. The only Uk & Irish shows I missed in 2003 were Manchester and the rearranged Twickenham one (after spending half of the previous month away from home and spending a fortune it was too much. Have to see the wife occasionally, ya know. I even flew home for a night on the day off between the Glasgow shows - it saved money and I'd almost forgotten I had a home)

I'd echo what Erik and Andy say above. It was a terrific series of shows overall, but that first Wembley one was something else.

Date: February 26, 2007 13:42

I was at the September Wembley arena gig, I had just been to Manchester the week before and had to go again. I bought a ticket outside on the day. I loved it when the Stones finished the B stage set and they left through the crowd before coming back onto the main stage for the encore. The whole show was brilliant, best I've seen since 1971 at the london roundhouse

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: February 26, 2007 13:45

All 3 Wembley Arena shows in 2003 - Brilliant. I'd love to see them there again. Like 3 times in a week - or seven times in two weeks. That would be NICE.

Date: February 26, 2007 13:46

I wish I had been paying more attention to this board back in '03. It would have made my first trip across the pond a bit more special if I could have met some of ya'll.

Date: February 26, 2007 13:55

The Isle of Wight Festival is now officially 'Sold Out'.......[community.isleofwightfestival.com]

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: February 26, 2007 15:35

I notice on the bottom of that page it says the festival is 'back with a big british bang for 2007'. Is that a hint?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-26 15:50 by monkeymark.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 26, 2007 15:39

I think they'll do a couple of UK stadiums...in different cities to last summer.
UK folks are rather parochial. They don't like travelling. Play newcastle or Birmingham and it's whole new freakin' audience ;^)

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: February 26, 2007 15:44

If it's already sold out, the Stones don't need to play there do they?

The reason they have never played Glastonbury is they are too expensive.
I'm sure if all the IOW tickets have gone already, the promotors won't have to shell out too much for the final night.

If they are playing, I sure hope that's not the only UK gig this year!!

Lee

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 26, 2007 15:53

i've already decided that if they skip Birmingham i can't be arsed to go and see em

i'm fed up having to travel to fecking London or one of the countries lesser cities to see em play

we're in the middle of the country for fecks sake! the second city! and they still ignore us for some grim Northern shitehole

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: February 26, 2007 15:59

Question: what is the O2/answer: it is the former Millenium Dome:

Not true, the O2 arena is NOT the dome. Is is an arena-building designed for music. Maybe it is located somewhere inside the dome, or more probably (given the building-like character of the arena, and its capacity of 23000 people) next to it. The sound should be very good over there. There are some pictures on the net, one over here: [www.theo2.co.uk]

But there won't be a Stones-show, so this is slightly OT ;-)

Jelle

Date: February 26, 2007 16:07

Spud Wrote:
> I think they'll do a couple of UK stadiums...in
> different cities to last summer.
> UK folks are rather parochial. They don't like
> travelling.

Going by the proportion of London v Provincial shows in the UK in the last 30 years if anyone is parochial and doesnt like travelling around the UK, it's the Stones themselves.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home