Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: The Brian Jones demos from June 1969!?!?
Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 29, 2010 13:54

JJHMick
Mathijs states on top of this page that Brian mostly played harmonica/harp. Can anyone identify which songs he played and on which songs it is Mick who was also highly regarded as a harmonica/harp player?

[www.keno.org] gives the performers and possible performers for each song and [www.angelfire.com] discusses the performers and recording sessions for the Brian Jones period. But for many songs it's not certain. The two lists don't always agree and other people won't agree with either of them.

Re: sources
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 29, 2010 15:50

Keno (bless him) is thoroughly unreliable regarding probable line-ups - a lot of his lists aren't even *possible* line-ups.
[www.nzentgraf.de] and [www.timeisonourside.com] have dubious bits too, but they're way more reliable than Keno's page

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-29 15:55 by with sssoul.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 29, 2010 16:47

Rocky Dijon
I just wonder if Brian's "Has Anybody Seen My Baby" demo featured a rap in lieu of a bridge.

Are you insinuating that Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones invented sampling!!?? Wow. One more talent to attribute to that dude!

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: August 29, 2010 20:25

BJ played very good rhythm guitar and very good lead chops (which weren´t called riffs back then); just listen to the hypnotic last time, among others.

That he just played harmonica and seldom the guitar during the early days (63 - 65) is not very likely; those were the days of mostly two or three overdubs over the basic tape and if Mr K Richards really played all them guitar parts, we would have learned about it by now and would be hearing about it all the time, what with the ego he has grown with the bygone years.

If one can hear by listening to the singles collection that BJ mostly didn´t play guotar, it´s a miracle and I don´t think miracles like that take place.

His majesty Mathijs may have made a mistake, allthough it´s very unlikely - the royal family don´t use the toilet, either.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 29, 2010 21:57

2 questions:

1) I haven't read The Rolling Stones: Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2002 by Martin Elliott, but the sample chapter at [www.cherryred.co.uk] says about 'I Want You to Know'(#49):

Another early attempt by Brian Jones, destroyed by false female background vocals. The bootleg of which this is a part is a compendium of out-takes, most of the cuts lasting a few bars or even a few seconds, thereby the true song contents can not be fully commented upon. It was cut on to an acetate by itself but copies of these are extremely rare.

So has anyone here heard this? If Martin Elliott is mistaken, then what did he hear?

2) Is the Cleo Sylvestre or Cleo Sylvester who recorded To Know Him Is To Love Him for Andrew Oldham and who is said to have practised or to have agreed to practise with Brian after he left the Stones the Cleo Sylvestre who acts on British TV?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 29, 2010 23:15

It's the same Cleo, I believe. The girl who worked with Oldham in the early days was of West Indian extraction, and the actress (who, having looked it up online, is now 65) would also appear to be.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home