Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT-Zepplin to tour US summer 07
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: January 31, 2007 23:10

Word has it that the 3 remaining members of Zep will get together with Jason Bonham to tour US stadiums this summer. Official details will be announced sometime in March, with ticket sales to follow that week.

Re: OT-Zepplin to tour US summer 07
Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: January 31, 2007 23:14

That would be great, but until I see an official announcement I will remain skeptical.

Where did you hear this?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 31, 2007 23:20

I posted this on R.O. but let me repeat it here.

I recieved a survey asking me about my musical tastes, etc. One question gave a list of artists/bands and asked me which ones I would like to see.

The thing I found interesting about that question was that all those bands on that list were currently touring or recently toured with one exception: Led Zeppelin.

Date: January 31, 2007 23:28

Glass Slide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Where did you hear this?

I'm in the concert biz, and I heard it from a source at clear channel.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: January 31, 2007 23:37

Hmmmmmm,this follows on from "The Sun, UK" story I posted about. Well, no smoke without fire, but Zep fans have heard this every year for the past 27!!!

SD

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 31, 2007 23:44

If they would really unite with Jason Bonham, THAN I MUST SEE THEM LIVE IN CONCERT!!!!

Hope they will also come to Europe!!!

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 1, 2007 00:02

I was lucky enough to see every US tour from 1972 on (was at the HOW THE WEST WAS WON Live CD shows) and the magic cannot repeat itself. With that said if it does indeed happen this summer knowing Plant's attitude towards dipping into the past this WILL NOT be a greatest hits show and there will be MANY very heavily rearranged versions of lesser known Zep songs..... AND, NO STRAIRWAY TO HEAVEN Thank God !!!!Sounds good, in the meantime pick up the double DVD that Jimmy put together of Zeppelin shows live in the 70's - in the top 3 of DVD music releases IMO - TOP NOTCH !!!! PS Maybe we'll FINALLY get FOR YOUR LIFE, THE ROVER, NIGHT FLIGHT, and HOUSES OF THE HOLY live after all these years....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 1, 2007 00:22

According to a UK magazine (either Mojo or Q), Jimmy Page he plans to record a solo album this year. He also added that there will be more from the Led Zeppelin vaults.

Date: February 1, 2007 00:29

Wow--Helter--very impressive!! Love How the West Was Won; went it came out in summer of '03 I must have listened to it a thousand times--they were unbelievably great on that tour--I couldn't believe Plant could hit the notes in Immigrant Song and Page was at his peak. By '73 Plant's voice started to go and Page just lost it after '75. That said, I thought Plant/Page back in '95 was a GREAT show--way way better than I expected.

Edith---interesting about the survey. Though I would not think Zep would feel they need a survey. That tour will sell out--EVERYWHERE.

Fifty--did your source say anything about recording new music?

And, yes,like all Zep fans I have heard these kind of rumors forever.

Wow--Van Halen, Police and now Zep---wonder if any of these bands were influenced by how much money they saw the Stones get?

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 1, 2007 00:31

This would make for a great show. I saw Zep in 1977 in Los Angeles. A 3 1/2 hr. show. One of the best shows ever. The big question is can Jimmy Page still pull it off?. Many of my guitarist pals who love the Zep think that he has lost alot in the last 10 years. Let us hope for the best. I am here.

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: February 1, 2007 00:34

Glass Slide Wrote:
> Wow--Helter--very impressive!! Love How the West
> Was Won; went it came out in summer of '03 I must
> have listened to it a thousand times--they were
> unbelievably great on that tour--I couldn't
> believe Plant could hit the notes in Immigrant
> Song and Page was at his peak. By '73 Plant's
> voice started to go and Page just lost it after
> '75. That said, I thought Plant/Page back in '95
> was a GREAT show--way way better than I expected.
>
> Edith---interesting about the survey. Though I
> would not think Zep would feel they need a survey.
> That tour will sell out--EVERYWHERE.
>
> Fifty--did your source say anything about
> recording new music?
>
> And, yes,like all Zep fans I have heard these kind
> of rumors forever.
>
> Wow--Van Halen, Police and now Zep---wonder if any
> of these bands were influenced by how much money
> they saw the Stones get?

The only time i think Page was not good was 77. That's why he did not put any footage on how the west was one imo. Look at Knebworth though in 80 Achilles Last stand is insane and i think one of the best solo's he's ever done, it's defintatly up in the stratosphere.

Date: February 1, 2007 00:42

Midnight Toker Wrote:
> This would make for a great show. I saw Zep in
> 1977 in Los Angeles. A 3 1/2 hr. show. One of the
> best shows ever. The big question is can Jimmy
> Page still pull it off?. Many of my guitarist pals
> who love the Zep think that he has lost alot in
> the last 10 years. Let us hope for the best. I am
> here.

I don't think so,he defintatly was out of it in the early eighties,but from the firm on he's been really good imo,I saw him with the black crowes at the Greek Theater both show's in 2000 and he was great.

Date: February 1, 2007 00:47

1980 was spotty. The Knebworth footage from the DVD was heavily, heavily edited.

The bootleg dvd that was in circulation showed that he was really not playing well. In his defense I think part of the problem, in addition to heroin was that he had twice injured his hand and that certainly did not help--especially since in '75 he cotinued to play--while admirable in a show business sense--a Dr will tell you that is a great way to do damage to the tendons.

Like I said, I thought in '95, it was the best he played in 20 yrs. I was shocked at how well he played. I went to ARMS and both Firm tours and while it was great just to see him, they were not, if I am honest with my self, great guitar performances---certainly not up to his earlier stds.

Zep in '77 did play some great shows---I have the last nite from LA and it smokes--Song Remains the Same is as good as any version I have heard (and that is a lot)

Funny--about the vault comments because he SWORE back in '03 that was all he had, whichalot of people were skeptical about at the time.

He clearly has at a ,minimum, Bath Festival, Royal Albert Hall '70, Complete Knebworth, and I believe some shows from the European Tour in early '73, plus complete MSG '73. I am sure I am leaving stuff out, I used ot be much more up on this....

Their may not be much in the way of unreleased studio material.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: February 1, 2007 00:48

I hope this happens,i would really fly almost anywhere in the world to see this.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 1, 2007 00:50

Did Michael Anthony get the bass player position?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 1, 2007 01:01

Has Page gotten over his back problem?

I had tickets to see Page/Black Crowes in Houston a few years ago when he developed a back problem a couple of days before the show. I haven't heard anything about his health since then.

Date: February 1, 2007 01:05

Glass Slide Wrote:
> 1980 was spotty. The Knebworth footage from the
> DVD was heavily, heavily edited.
>
> The bootleg dvd that was in circulation showed
> that he was really not playing well. In his
> defense I think part of the problem, in addition
> to heroin was that he had twice injured his hand
> and that certainly did not help--especially since
> in '75 he cotinued to play--while admirable in a
> show business sense--a Dr will tell you that is a
> great way to do damage to the tendons.
>
> Like I said, I thought in '95, it was the best he
> played in 20 yrs. I was shocked at how well he
> played. I went to ARMS and both Firm tours and
> while it was great just to see him, they were not,
> if I am honest with my self, great guitar
> performances---certainly not up to his earlier
> stds.
>
> Zep in '77 did play some great shows---I have the
> last nite from LA and it smokes--Song Remains the
> Same is as good as any version I have heard (and
> that is a lot)
>
> Funny--about the vault comments because he SWORE
> back in '03 that was all he had, whichalot of
> people were skeptical about at the time.
>
> He clearly has at a ,minimum, Bath Festival, Royal
> Albert Hall '70, Complete Knebworth, and I believe
> some shows from the European Tour in early '73,
> plus complete MSG '73. I am sure I am leaving
> stuff out, I used ot be much more up on this....
>
> Their may not be much in the way of unreleased
> studio material.

Yeah he has so much in the vault's still it's crazy, Yeah there were a few good show's in 77 Seattle for one was unreal,but 77 in general was not a good tour for Zep. I've seen everything from the arm's on myself. Some of the Firm show's i saw were Fu***** insane He brought at those old Hendrix Marshall'''s Three 100 watt stack's with that tele,blew me away a couple of times,he has'nt used those amp's live since because he know's how valuble they are and cannot be reproduced if they blow up,which page has a tendency in doing blowing amp's up,pushing them to the limet. Yes 95 was good,but i thought 98 was alot better Page Plant.

Date: February 1, 2007 01:06

trainarollin Wrote:
> Did Michael Anthony get the bass player position?

Thats funny! Plant's son in law is a bass player.........

I too saw Page with the Crowes in 2000---great show, they really did a good job and Page played great.

I agree that a tour will not be a "greatest hits"---they are not a war horses type of outfit. There will be no Stairway, cause Plant refuses to sing it--I do not think they did it in any of the 200 or so shows they did as Plant Page.

They did do when I saw them... Wanton Song, Tangerine, In the Light (!!); Hey Hey What Can I do; Ramble On and others that were hardly ever, if ever played as Zep. Of course they had a lot of other musicians which helped make it possible, but the cool thing was it sounded like Led Zeppelin and not "Led Zeppelin, the Musical".

This could be very exciting....

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 1, 2007 01:10

Still have my ticket to the Page/Crowes/Cult show that never happened cause of the back incident. Damn!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 1, 2007 01:13

Edith Grove Wrote:
> Has Page gotten over his back problem?
>
> I had tickets to see Page/Black Crowes in Houston
> a few years ago when he developed a back problem a
> couple of days before the show. I haven't heard
> anything about his health since then.

Yeah I also had tickets for Page and the Crowes. They cancelled twice.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: February 1, 2007 01:38

Stones Freak--the Firm shows, I saw (3 in total) he used a ton of effects on the B Bender Telecaster and it did not, imo, sound that great, kinda sloppy. I do remember following that, in about '88 he did a solo tour for Outrider (with Jason Bonham) and his playing was much better. He also had gone back to the Gibson.

btw I thought the drummer that Plant Page used was great. Forget his name.

Date: February 1, 2007 01:48

I don't know The Firm to me was a totally diffenrt thing for Page, To me anyway's it was like therapy for him getting back to playing after his heavy sorrow for Boneham.It was like he started climbing a new latter with the b bender and everything eles like Cadallac with the wah wah whammy bar thing. I've never heard anything sound like that til this day i will never forget looking at my friend going what the fu** is that it sounded like plywood being ripped on a table saw. You know everybody want's zep mainly maybe that's why you were'nt into it listen to Live in peace i still think that's one of the best lead's he done with the firm. Plus Chopin'''''''s Prelude live with the firm was incredilble imo. I loved the tone he had the chorus delay trip i loved it! I saw them in LA and the second tour was better. Did you see both tour's and were i was fortunate i saw them in LA his favorite place.

Date: February 1, 2007 01:56

Chopin piece was very cool---I forgot about that. Good point. I also agree about the "therapy".

I did see both Firm tours. One of the shows was at Nassau Coliseum which has pretty bad sound, so that must be taken into account. One of the shows, first tour, was at MSG, another place he likes to play.

I do not remember much of a difference between the 2 tours. It was a long time ago. lol I have not listened to those discs in like forever.

All that said, I suspect his playing this time, should they tour, would be very good--especially since he is completely sober now.

Date: February 1, 2007 02:00

Glass Slide Wrote:

> Fifty--did your source say anything about
> recording new music?
>
> And, yes,like all Zep fans I have heard these kind
> of rumors forever.
>
> Wow--Van Halen, Police and now Zep---wonder if any
> of these bands were influenced by how much money
> they saw the Stones get?

I heard about Jimmy putting a solo disc out, but my guys a venue connection. He wouldn't be involved with any music. As for your last point, I gree 100%, in fact, ticket prices may be higher than Stones stadium prices.

Date: February 1, 2007 02:02

Glass Slide Wrote:
> Chopin piece was very cool---I forgot about that.
> Good point. I also agree about the "therapy".
>
> I did see both Firm tours. One of the shows was at
> Nassau Coliseum which has pretty bad sound, so
> that must be taken into account. One of the shows,
> first tour, was at MSG, another place he likes to
> play.
>
> I do not remember much of a difference between the
> 2 tours. It was a long time ago. lol I have not
> listened to those discs in like forever.
>
> All that said, I suspect his playing this time,
> should they tour, would be very good--especially
> since he is completely sober now.

I agree i think it would be very good. Yeah i have'nt heard the firm in year''s i used to have a couple of live concerts off the sound board from both tour's that was fabulous but i lost them i was partying very hard in 85,86,87,88 and beyond. Pretty mello now though.

Date: February 1, 2007 02:16

fiftyamp Wrote:
>
> I heard about Jimmy putting a solo disc out, but
> my guys a venue connection. He wouldn't be
> involved with any music. As for your last point, I
> gree 100%, in fact, ticket prices may be higher
> than Stones stadium prices.

In my opinion, a Zeppelin reunion, in the US would be a far far bigger deal than a Stones tour. Not saying that is how I feel about it, but it is pretty clear that although they have been defunct for over 25 yrs for whatever reason they are more relevant with the younger generation than the Stones are. Why this is, I don't really know, but it sure seems that way to me. Now whether any of these kids could afford a ticket is another story. Maybe part of it is that the Stones have toured so many times over those yrs and especially recently.

I think ticket prices will higher and they will do better business---then again they did do better business in the '70's when both bands were touring--that was one of their pet peeves.

Date: February 1, 2007 02:27

As much as I doubt that this will happen. I like everyone else am intrigued at the possibilty. I would definatly go. I saw Zep twice. The Firm once. I saw Jimmy during the Ronnie Lane ARMS benefit tour and I saw Plant/Page once.
I'm not real sure though if they could really fill up Stadiums. I know there would be a lot of interest. But they have been away so long I'm not sure people would automaticly come back. I saw Plant on his last solo tour a couple years ago and he played a small theatre and had trouble filling that.

Date: February 1, 2007 02:34

Plant w/o Page is like Mick w/o Keith--remember Mick did not tour here and if I am not mistaken it was, at least in part because of (perceived?) lack of interest.

If you do not think they would fill up stadiums, check out the kind of business they did in '03 with the release of the DVD and How the West was Won. I remember going to my local record store the day it came out after work (tuesday nite) and they were SOLD out and taking reservations for there next batch.

I think if this happens it will be HUGE. Biggest tour in the US in yrs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-01 02:35 by Glass Slide.

Date: February 1, 2007 02:36

Glass Slide Wrote:
> Plant w/o Page is like Mick w/o Keith--remember
> Mick did not tour here and if I am not mistaken it
> was, at least in part because of (perceived?) lack
> of interest.
>
> If you do not think they would fill up stadiums,
> check out the kind of business they did in '03
> with the release of the DVD and How the West was
> Won. I remember going to my local record store the
> day it came out after work (tuesday nite) and they
> were SOLD out and taking reservations for there
> next batch.
>
> I think if this happens it will be HUGE. Biggest
> tour in the US in yrs.

Good points GS. But I still won't get my hopes up too high. Plus I would prefer arenas.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: February 1, 2007 02:43

Glass Slide Wrote:
> Plant w/o Page is like Mick w/o Keith--remember
> Mick did not tour here and if I am not mistaken it
> was, at least in part because of (perceived?) lack
> of interest.
>
> If you do not think they would fill up stadiums,
> check out the kind of business they did in '03
> with the release of the DVD and How the West was
> Won. I remember going to my local record store the
> day it came out after work (tuesday nite) and they
> were SOLD out and taking reservations for there
> next batch.
>
> I think if this happens it will be HUGE. Biggest
> tour in the US in yrs.

Yeah Glass Slide i think it was Quadruple platium within a month,but I kind of agree with Sweetcharmedlife,Page Plant in 95and 98 in LA only played Irvine meadow's which hold's like 18,000,but there is a re amugence of young people in the last few years in LA loving Led Zeppelin who know's i think they would first book some smaller venue's and see how it sell's that's why i'm kind of specticle about this tour to begin with.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2328
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home