Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Somewhat OT: Springsteen trivia
Posted by: dj ()
Date: January 24, 2007 13:34

To my knowledge, (Gazza will correct me if I'm wrong), in the vast catalog of Bruce Springsteen's music, there is just ONE SONG in which Springsteen does not claim full writing credit. NOTE that this includes ONLY studio releases of Bruce or Bruce & the E Street Band, (excluding official live releases and the recent Seeger sessions CD). The reason that this is "somewhat OT" is that there is an obscure Stones connection to the song. Anyone?

Re: Somewhat OT: Springsteen trivia
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 24, 2007 13:41

I can think of three or four (excluding cover songs that he's released)

The Elvis tribute 'Johnny Bye Bye' is presumably the one you're thinking of as its co-authored by Chuck Berry, as Bruce borrowed some of the lines from Bye Bye Johnny - hence the Stones link.

However, two of the songs on 'Human Touch' (Roll of the Dice, Real World) were co-written with Roy Bittan, and I've a feeling that 'Cross My Heart' on the same record gives a co-writing credit to Sonny Boy Williamson as he borrowed some lines from him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-24 13:42 by Gazza.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 24, 2007 13:43

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Patti Smith somehow squeeze some credits out of "Because the night"?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: January 24, 2007 13:43

There's also one tune written by Tim Scott McConnell, formerly of the Havalinas. I forgot the name of the song, but if someone could fill me in on that one - I'd be gratefull. (Tim is my next door neighbour, btw)
[www.tim-scott.com]

Ooops - just remembered: "High Hopes"! That's the song.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-24 13:51 by shidoobee.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: January 24, 2007 13:59

Gazza is the man. Johnny Bye Bye is the song I was thinking of, crediting Chuck Berry. Although the song bears little resemblance to Bye Bye Johnny musically or lyrically, Bruce must have loved the opening line, "she drew all her money from the Southern Trust." Of course we know that Bye Bye Johnny was a staple on the Stones 72 tour.

Good catch on the Bittan credits. I missed that one.

Patti Smith may have credits on Because the Night, but that appears on Live 75-85, which I excluded.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 24, 2007 14:34

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Patti Smith
> somehow squeeze some credits out of "Because the
> night"?

she does, but then again she did re-write some of the lyrics and was the first artist to release it. Bruce's version has never appeared on a studio album.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: January 24, 2007 15:07

Are you familiar with the High Hopes-composer, Gazza? Do you know Tim Scott McDonnell's stuff? There's actually a great deal of really good material there. And for people who like the Stones, this is worth lending an ear - or two - to. [www.tim-scott.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home