Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'Harrods Rocks' - calling all guitar fans
Date: January 23, 2007 18:24

As part of the 'Harrods Rocks' promotion, the world famous store in London's Knightsbridge is hosting an exhibition of historic, designer and legendary electric guitars. Born To Rock will feature the world's first electric guitar, the Frying Pan, which was made in 1931 and has never before left America.

There will be quitars once played by Jimi Hendrix, Van Morrison, Muddy Waters as well as contemporary artists including Oasis, Franz Ferdinand and Kasabian. Harrods will be erecting a stage for one off performances by established acts as well as new talent. There will also be talks by music industry figures, guitar masterclasses and displays of beauty collections and glam rock jewellery.

At 8.00a.m. on Sunday 18th February, Harrods will host a bid to break the world record for the most guitars played simultaneously - they hope to attract 2,000 people to play Deep Purple's 'Smoke On The Water'!

If you are planning a visit to London, bring your Strat....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-03 12:33 by Manofwealthandtaste.

Re: O.T. 'Harrods Rocks' - calling all guitar fans
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 23, 2007 21:00

"...the spirit of rock ‘n’ roll will electrify Knightsbridge as the collection of 150 priceless guitars, played by the likes of Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Noel Gallagher, The Edge, Marc Bolan, Neil Young, and blues legend Rory Gallagher, makes its way from Galeries Lafayette in Paris to the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin.

Ronnie's artwork is also to be seen..

"Set within the 12,500-sq.-ft. second floor of Harrods, the exhibition boasts a Dom Pérignon champagne bar designed by Karl Lagerfeld, a lounge bar, a soundstage, and an art exhibition featuring the work of Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood, who will also be staging his own art installation in one of Harrods main windows. Guitars will also be on show in over 70 Harrods shop front windows, together with a giant replicas of Hedi Slimane’s Swarovski-encrusted “Rock Couture” guitar."
[www.fashionweekdaily.com]

sounds pretty interesting, go if can.

Date: January 23, 2007 21:16

Ron Wood as window designer

Stones Guitarist Moonlights as Designer

Posted Dec 21st 2006 3:27PM by David Sprague
Filed under: Rock

While we're still eagerly awaiting that big-screen remake of Rhoda -- hey, if the 'Dukes of Hazzard' can be spun into a movie, why not? -- the anxiety has been assuaged a bit by news that Ronnie Wood has temporarily decided to take on the mantle of Valerie Harper.

The Rolling Stones guitarist will put down his Fender in order to moonlight as a window designer for London's prestigious Harrod's department store -- a doggone sight better than the Hempel's chain that employed our heroine way back when. Wood is acting as the point person for this year's 'Harrods Rocks' event, which will launch in February with a series of displays, including window dressing courtesy of the guitarist.

He hasn't tipped his hand about content yet, but Wood's window will reportedly have a Stones theme and will include some of his original paintings -- but not, sadly, a leaning tower of liquor bottles he and bandmate Keith Richards have drained over the years.
[www.aolmusicnewsblog.com]

[www.news.ch]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-23 21:22 by open-g.

Date: January 23, 2007 21:31

RONNIE WOOD TO BECOME A WINDOW DRESSER Ronnie Wood Rolling Stones legend to design window display for Harrods

Musician, songwriter, painter, sculptor, and now window dresser.

Early next year Ronnie Wood is to design a window display for luxury London department store Harrods.

The window is rumoured to be Rolling Stones themed, and will include some of his artwork. Wood was approached to create a display as part of the department store's 'Harrods Rocks' event in February.

The store is also hosting an exhibition called 'Born to Rock', which features historic and vintage guitars owned by the likes of Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix.

Ronnie Wood's art work is on permanent display at the Scream Gallery in
London.

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-23 22:17 by open-g.

Date: January 23, 2007 22:01

Here's a 1934 Rickenbacker/ Beauchamp / Barth Electric-Hawaiian "Frying pan".

in 1931 they built only prototypes out of wood.
in 1932, starting that summer, 13 guitars out of aluminium where made.
in 1933 it was already 95 and in '34 it was 275 produced instruments.

Date: January 24, 2007 10:54

Thanks for the update open-g. I pass Harrods to and from work every day, so will definitely be checking out the window displays!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 24, 2007 12:02

Does this thread qualify for OT if a guitar of Keith's will be on display, as well as some of Ronnie's art work, and if Ronnie is doing one of the window displays?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-24 12:07 by Beast.

Re: NOT 'O.T.'..... 'Harrods Rocks' - calling all guitar fans
Date: January 24, 2007 12:09

Quite right Beast......duly amended!

Date: January 24, 2007 12:12

I agree, Beast.

Manofwealthandtaste, can you edit the title - please.
how about:
"Keith's Guitar on Display & Ronnie as Window Dresser" lol.
that should attract some attention.

btw, youre lucky to pass there every day. make sure you also see the guitar exibition.

Date: January 24, 2007 12:16

I sure will check it out.....am also curious to experience 2000 people attempting to play Smoke On The Water!

Date: January 24, 2007 12:18

SotW is bound to be great fun grinning smiley

2000x dadadaa dat da dadaa

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: January 25, 2007 22:32

im i getting it f... right ?

can i go to london 18,2, with my el, guitar fender tele, go to harrods plug it in some amplifier and play with 1,999 other people "smoke on the water" ??

what key ?

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: January 25, 2007 23:14

anyone of u going to turn up ?

Date: January 26, 2007 00:42

6853 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> im i getting it f... right ?
>
> can i go to london 18,2, with my el, guitar
> fender tele, go to harrods plug it in some
> amplifier and play with 1,999 other people "smoke
> on the water" ??
>
> what key ?

I would imagine you have to sign up in advance, for an event like that.
...and who's gonna supply 2000 amps for a day?

I attended a concert for 100 guitars once, by Rhys Chatham, "An Angel moves too fast to see", and everyone had to bring his own (preferably small) combo.
was good fun tho.
[rhyschatham.com]

haven't seen any further detailed information on the Harrods Rock thang yet.
I'm bit too far away to pop up with my guitar.

what key? well hopefully one has a clue - lol

Date: January 26, 2007 12:23

Here's an update......

1st February to 3rd March 2007

Harrods Rocks unplugs how rock can change your life - from Fenders and fashion to make-up and mules, sunglasses and attitude.

Whether you danced around your bedroom to the Stones, played bass guitar at college or squeezed into the tightest of jeans so that you could hardly move, rock has touched your life.

The whole of Harrods is getting in on the act, with the world’s premium denim brands,
make-up for the rock sophisticate, and the stand-out Born to RockTM exhibition on the second floor - with guitars played by the legends and others specially created by some of the biggest names in music, fashion and design. Plus a stage with live music from some of the hottest young bands in the UK.

For those about to rock, Harrods salutes you.
---------------------------------------------

You will have to register, if you want to join in the World Record attempt on 18th Feb...more info to follow. [www.harrods.com]

Date: January 26, 2007 16:55

The aforementioned application details.......

Sunday 18th February, 8am

Calling all wannabe rock gods and axe heroes… Harrods is offering guitarists the chance to play their way into rock ’n’ roll history!

Harrods hopes to recruit 2,000 guitarists to play Deep Purple’s rock standard 'Smoke On The Water' in a bid to break the world record for the most guitarists simultaneously playing one song - and beat the current record of 1,322 set in Vancouver, Canada, in 1994. And don’t worry about the noise - complimentary ear plugs will be offered to all participants!

Guitarists taking part need no previous experience of public performance - although players need to be "proficient musicians" - and bring their own guitar, whether acoustic or electric.

In return they will receive a commemorative plectrum and T-shirt, the chance to win an electric guitar and other spot prizes on the day, and hopefully an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records.

To take part, download the registration form and email it back as an attachment to guitarjam@harrods.com.

[www.harrods.com]

Date: February 3, 2007 00:47

Any IORReans joining in?

c'mon - it's a great experience to be part of a 2000 electric guitars orchestra

maybe Ronnie will play next to you grinning smiley^^

Date: February 3, 2007 12:31

Yep, I have registered for the event, got myself the loan of a Fender Strat (in true Blackmore style!), now I just have to learn the riff!!

Re: 'Harrods Rocks' - calling all guitar fans
Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 3, 2007 15:40

I just registered!

I don't know if i'm too late or what, but it should be a laugh if i get chosen!

The only decision now is: Blonde Telecaster or Wine-red Les Paul...?

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: February 4, 2007 19:27

Visited the guitar exhibition at Harrods today, and it is well worth checking out. An amazing display of highly expensive and sought after guitars on show (which has prompted Harrods to mount their biggest security operation for a very long time), including several which are signed. There are a number of Stones-related pieces including a five string especially made for Keith from around 1990, one of Brian's signed by him and the rest of the band from around 1967, a fender hand painted by Ronnie and this one desgined by German fashion photographer, Peter Lindbergh which is simply called 'Keith'...

There are also a number of events and performances happening......[www.harrodsimages.com]

General picture of the exhibition....

And of course there are some of Ronnie's paintings from the Scream Gallery for sale, a bar area and a chance to play on drum machines as well as guitars.

Hope some of you can get to see it!

Re: 'Harrods Rocks' - Event cancelled
Date: February 14, 2007 00:32

Oh no - what a bummer

Thank you for your interest and support in taking part in the World Record Breaking attempt at Harrods.

We regret to inform you, that due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to take the unavoidable decision to cancel the World Record breaking attempt on Sunday 18th February.

We are extremely sorry to disappoint those who were looking forward to this event, and do hope that no inconvenience has been caused. Please pass this message on to those who you know were planning to attend and register on the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-14 01:45 by open-g.

Date: February 14, 2007 01:48

This sucks!

Oh well, i'm gonna go there and check out the guitars and the window displays anyway...

Date: February 14, 2007 01:54

Manofwealthandtaste and Mr.Jimmy, did they send you a mail about the cancelleation?

..and have you been practising the riff - now in vain?

its a shame, innit.

Date: February 14, 2007 07:28

open-g Wrote:
> Manofwealthandtaste and Mr.Jimmy, did they send
> you a mail about the cancelleation?
>
> ..and have you been practising the riff - now in
> vain?
>
> its a shame, innit.

Yeah I got the email yesterday. I was all excited before I opened it, seeing that it was from harrods, and then... Tears and screaming...

I havnt really practised the riff, but I've played it before so its pretty straightforward.

Bugger...

Date: February 14, 2007 11:22

Yep, I got the e-mail too - very pissed off about it. I sent an e-mail back saying as much and here was their reply.....

"Unfortunately we have had a considerable level of complaint from customers in-store and our neighbours in the streets adjoining Harrods, together with formal intervention of the local authorities, meaning we have had to take the unavoidable decision to cancel certain elements of the Harrods Rocks promotion"

In other words, the moaning Knightsbridge residents have kicked up a stink about the noise.

I went to see Rick Parfitt there last Saturday afternoon, he gave a talk about how he learnt guitar as a kid and how 'those three chords served me well'! He then played the intro to 'Whatever You Want' which was quite loud in a closed environment standing 10 feet from the speakers, but unlikely to have been heard above the noise of the traffic outside.

Anyway, my gleaming Fender Strat Sunburst, on which I had been practising and annoying the hell out of the neighbours, will have to be returned to its rightful owner without making it into the record books.......

Mr Jimmy - the exhibition itself is still on and worth a visit......we just have to work out how we get a set of those 'Bigger Bang' guitar picks from out of the window display.....!

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: February 14, 2007 15:01

I was really looking forward to that. oh well.

Posted by: voodookeef ()
Date: February 14, 2007 16:00

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
>...
> There are a number of Stones-related pieces
> including a five string especially made for Keith
> from around 1990, one of Brian's signed by him and
> the rest of the band from around 1967, a fender
> hand painted by Ronnie and this one desgined by
> German fashion photographer, Peter Lindbergh which
> is simply called 'Keith'...

for those interested - here's the rear view of the "Keith"-guitar by Lindbergh:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-14 16:04 by voodookeef.

Date: February 14, 2007 18:27

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
>
> Mr Jimmy - the exhibition itself is still on and
> worth a visit......we just have to work out how we
> get a set of those 'Bigger Bang' guitar picks from
> out of the window display.....!

I'll see if I can get me hands on a big-bastard sledgehammer!

Or perhaps i'll go posing as a display assistant and sneak into the window. Or dress up like a rock star and stand still in the window for a few hours until everyones gone home and then... Bingo! Loot!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 14, 2007 20:37

I'll be right behind you, Mr. J...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1638
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home