Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Anyone out there actually SEEN a Beatles concert ?
Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 13, 2007 01:50

Unfortunatly not, but I really envy everybody who have seen them live in Concert!

I've seen only Paul McCartney in 1989 + 2003 and Ringo Starr in 1998

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 13, 2007 02:05

>> I could plug my ears with my fingers to filter out the screams and hear the music. <<

smile: i remember doin that - although as i said my seats were really well placed relative to the PA,
so i could hear all right most of the time anyway. and thank you Gazza for the setlist details -
Can't Buy Me Love is the one i remember best from the 64 show. no idea what they played in 65, though -
they were way the hell out in the outfield, and i was way the hell in the upper stands,
and it was pretty disappointing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-13 02:06 by with sssoul.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 13, 2007 02:18

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it was pretty disappointing.

i feel so bad for you.
smiling smiley

Date: January 13, 2007 02:19

but it's all right now - in fact ... :E

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 13, 2007 02:27

It's like I was saying about the Stones in Philly in'81... even though they were really bad... ANY stones concert is a good concert...

.. they all become faded memories

Date: January 13, 2007 02:41

>> It's like I was saying about the Stones in Philly in'81 ...
even though they were really bad... ANY stones concert is a good concert ... <<

well, what i'm saying is that it's all right now because i'm a grown-up and i can decide for myself
to go see a band that puts on a hot show.
from where i viewed it the 65 Beatles concert was a disappointment at the time
and it hasn't taken on any sheen at all in the meantime. i'm not complaining - i'm just describin.
but go right ahead and envy me seeing them in 64. that was cool!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 13, 2007 02:54

Payphone Al Wrote:
> Thanks for the info Gazza. It was such a long
> time ago that many of the details are lost to me.
> I really remember it as them only playing about 8
> songs but I won't dispute the facts.
>
> As for the opening acts that day, I'm surprised
> that I actually saw Jackie DeShannon. And it
> turns out I saw the Righteous Brothers more times
> then I remember.
>
> I have been researching my back Stones concerts
> and am also surprised by some of the opening acts
> that I saw but have forgotten about. I need to
> get some of that stuff they advertise on late
> night TV that prevents memory loss. I just keep
> forgetting to order it.
>
> Speaking of memories, I don't know if you remember
> that we met at Stouts in NYC almost a year ago.

was just thinkin that same thing, Al, as I was replying. Time flies.And I actually met you again on the way out of the Garden!

Re: Anyone out there actually SEEN the Beatles ?
Date: January 13, 2007 03:02

mofur Wrote:
> jagger50 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My girlfriend saw them in Copenhagen, Tivoli,
> > 1966. So there.
>
>
> Sure about this? I think they only played in
> Denmark once - June 1964 and it took place in the
> KB Hallen? Plus, they were only firing on three
> cylinders as Jimmy Nicol stood in for Ringo Starr
> who had come down with tonsillites ;-)
>
>

The Beatles' only European shows in 1966 were in Germany in June (Munich, Essen and Hamburg). Just before they went to Japan and their ill-fated trip to the Philippines.

From what I can see their only ever Danish shows were 2 Copenhagen shows on 4th June 1964

Date: January 13, 2007 03:02

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> I could plug my ears with my fingers to filter
> out the screams and hear the music. <<
>
> smile: i remember doin that - although as i said
> my seats were really well placed relative to the
> PA,
> so i could hear all right most of the time anyway.
> and thank you Gazza for the setlist details -
> Can't Buy Me Love is the one i remember best from
> the 64 show. no idea what they played in 65,
> though -
> they were way the hell out in the outfield, and i
> was way the hell in the upper stands,
> and it was pretty disappointing.

where was this? Chicago?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 13, 2007 08:06

i have not; but i did see the msg bengla desh concert (afternoon show) w/ george and ringo and dylan and clapton, badfinger, etc...no mania-type screaming, those days were over...but a very excited crowd...especially when dylan joined the festivities...
guess that must've been george and ringo's first live show in many a year...maybe since that abbey road rooftop thing...but dunno for sure...think so. george was wonderful, as you all know from the recordings. seeing ringo was a thrill too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-13 08:08 by Beelyboy.

Re: Anyone out there actually SEEN the Beatles ?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 13, 2007 11:56

Gazza Wrote:
> Just
> before they went to Japan and their ill-fated trip
> to the Philippines.

ORDINARY PASSENGER!!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 13, 2007 12:05

>> where was this? Chicago? <<

yep. sep 5th 1964 (the international amphitheater) and aug 20th 1965 (comiskey park).
i looked it up, so that you wouldn't have to

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: January 13, 2007 13:14

Ive seen the "cavern beatles" in birmingham..... IMO they were much better than the real ones..
BTW, after their set the counterfiet stones were on - now they were good and their ticket prices were cool and the setlist was cool - much better than the real thing.

Well nearly...

Date: January 13, 2007 17:22

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> where was this? Chicago? <<
>
> yep. sep 5th 1964 (the international
> amphitheater) and aug 20th 1965 (comiskey park).
> i looked it up, so that you wouldn't have to

well..the 1964 show would have consisted of the setlist I gave for Payphone Al as his show was the next day. They played two shows in Chicago on 20.8.65 (it was called White Sox Park on the ticket) with 25,000 at the first show and 37,000 at the second. The Beatles' share of the gate for those 2 shows was $155,000. Not bad for 1965!

The repertoire for this tour was :
Twist & Shout/Shes A Woman/I Feel Fine/Dizzy Miss Lizzy/Ticket to Ride/Everybody's trying To Be My Baby/Cant Buy Me Love/Babys In Black/Act Naturally or I Wanna Be Your Man/A Hard Days Night/Help/I'm Down

Support acts : Brenda Holloway and the King Curtis Band, Cannibal & The Headhunters (!!) and sounds Incorporated. The Young Rascals were added to the bill at Shea Stadium.

The Shea Stadium show on 15.8.65 was filmed for TV of course, but not the whole show and with some of the songs out of sequence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-13 17:52 by Gazza.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 13, 2007 17:40

I have that Shea Stadium show as a "legit" release from way back on VHS. It wasn't sold as a boot even though the film is slightly washed out (obviously lifted from a 16mm version floating around). After seeing about a third of it (the Beatles part of it) cleaned up with adjusted color and great sound on the ANTHOLOGY DVD this should be another release (along with LET IT BE) that really needs to be put out there in all it's glory. It looks and sounds great when it's been all cleaned up and adjusted. Shea Stadium and Tokyo 66 would make a GREAT double pack. Even though the playing at the Tokyo shows really wasn't too great they did numbers like NOWHERE MAN, YESTERDAY (full band, not just Paul) and PAPERBACK WRITER so having those Mid-period songs live would be a treat in itself.

GAZZA - they also did HELP at Shea Stadium and on the '65 tour. Do you have a set list for'66 (especially CANDLESTICK PARK and DODGER'S STADIUM)? I think they also played DAY TRIPPER in '66......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-13 17:43 by HelterSkelter.

Date: January 13, 2007 17:42

thanks Gazza! i was at the afternoon show in 65 ...
it's good to know what i couldn't hear at all and could barley see. :E
interesting that the percentage of cover tunes was that high - more than a third of the show
when they opted for Act Naturally. what was their setlist like in 66?

Date: January 13, 2007 17:49

the most interesting thing about the 1966 shows was that even though theyd just released 'Revolver', they didnt play a single song from it - ever.

And we thought the Stones didnt promote their new recrod..LOL

chicago was actually the first show on the final US tour (12th August - 29th August). They kept the same repertoire that theyd used in Germany, Japan and the philippines a few weeks earlier - namely :

Rock n Roll Music/Shes a womanIf I Needed someone/Day tripper/Babys In Black/I Feel Fine/Yesterday/I Wanna Be Your Man/Nowhere Man/Paperback Writer/I'm Down

Long Tall Sally was also played at a few shows, and was in fact the final song played at their last ever tour show in San Francisco. However, its not on the circulating bootleg of it. Presumably knowing it would be the last show, Paul asked their press officer Tony Barrow to make an audio recording of the show, but as he used a c60 tape, the first side ran out before they played 'Long Tall Sally' (the show lasted 33 minutes)

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 13, 2007 17:54

HS -

Somewhere (the Anthology, probably) there's grainy 8mm film footage of them playing Day Tripper at Candlestick. The audio might be dubbed in, but it'd make sense that they've have played DT on that tour.

FYI, here's the Budokan setlist from June 30-July 2:

1. Rock'n'roll Music
2. She's A Woman
3. If I Needed Someone
4. Day Tripper
5. Baby's In Black
6. I Feel Fine
7. Yesterday
8. I Wanna Be Your Man
9. Nowhere Man
10. Paperback Writer
11. I'm Down

Date: January 13, 2007 17:58

Here's Tokyo 66: R'N'R MUSIC/SHE'S A WOMAN/IF I NEEDED SOMEONE/DAY TRIPPER/BABY'S IN BLACK/I FEEL FINE/YESTERDAY/I WANNA BE YOUR MAN/NOWHERE MAN/PAPERBACK WRITER/I'M DOWN (MR. MOONLIGHT - not sure on this one)....did I beat GAZZA?

Thanks Juan and Gazza (even though the typing is a bit sloopy there Gaz, the Brain would give you a big lecture on that if he was here) Anybody know if Lennon /Macca played together when Macca stopped in on Lennon's lost weekend recording sessions?. A polaroid of the 2 sitting outside surfaced somewhere.THAT would be the place to hang along with Mick doing TOO MANY COOKS.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-13 18:08 by HelterSkelter.

Date: January 13, 2007 17:58

HelterSkelter Wrote:
>
>
> GAZZA - they also did HELP at Shea Stadium and on
> the '65 tour.

youre correct. I left that out in error. Just edited it back in!

Do you have a set list for'66
> (especially CANDLESTICK PARK and DODGER'S
> STADIUM)? I think they also played DAY TRIPPER in
> '66......

see previous post.

There were 3 concerts filmed for TV from the 1966 tour.

"Die Beatles" (ZDF Germany, 5.7.66) recorded at Munich 24.6.66 (2nd show). 7 of the 11 Beatles songs plus footage of the opening acts

"The Beatles recital" (NTV Japan 1.7.66). Filmed at the Budokan, Tokyo 30.6.66 and the afternoon show on 1.7.66. The broadcast again features the opening acts and documentary footage with the 2nd half consisting of highlights of those two shows.

However, there are circulating and complete videos of both of the filmed Tokyo shows. They're quite good, too. (they played 5 shows there between June 30 and July 2nd)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-13 18:01 by Gazza.

Date: January 13, 2007 18:13

HelterSkelter Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Juan and Gazza (even though the typing is a
> bit sloopy there Gaz, the Brain would give you a
> big lecture on that if he was here - LOL) Anybody know
> if Lennon /Macca played together when Macca
> stopped in on Lennon's lost weekend recording
> sessions?. A polaroid of the 2 sitting outside
> surfaced somewhere (Mojo mag maybe).THAT would be the place to hang
> along with Mick doing TOO MANY COOKS.....

I saw a boot once that was suppose to be from that get together in Southern Cal but there was no song listing so maybe they just jammed. Didn't they also get together at a wedding somewhere with also maybe Harrison?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 13, 2007 18:15

The Beatles gigs in The Philippines were actually rather successful, in that they played to some of the biggest audiences of their career and made a lot of money(which was later taken off them at the airport!) the government crap surrounding them was a farse of course.

The 'real' people of The Philippines loved them and still do.

Date: January 13, 2007 18:22

It's all about PEOPLE POWER !! I was in Manila about 24 hours after the Marcos' made their escape and the whole town was going crazy and flipping out - good time to visit, 100 World Cup celebrations rolled into one....

Date: January 13, 2007 18:59

His Majesty Wrote:
> The Beatles gigs in The Philippines were actually
> rather successful, in that they played to some of
> the biggest audiences of their career and made a
> lot of money(which was later taken off them at the
> airport!) the government crap surrounding them was
> a farse of course.
>
>
Thats correct. The hassles only began afterwards and really kicked in when they were trying to leave the country. They sold 80,000 tickets for their 2 shows there. However it really sowed the seeds for them tiring of the lunacy that surrounded them when they toured - which was only made worse with the craziness that was to kick in when they went to the US a month later. George's quote when asked after the Manila debacle what their future plans consisted of was quite amusingly prophetic - "we're going to have a couple of weeks to recuperate before we go to get beaten up by the Americans". LOL

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 13, 2007 19:00

Lennon & McCartney jammed together with Stevie Wonder, Bobby Keys (?), and a few other members of that scene (Klaus Voorman, Jesse Ed Davis maybe) during either Harry Nilsson's Pussycats sessions or whatever album John was recording during the lost weekend (Walls & Bridges?).

Anyway, John was coked out of his skull and Paul was on drums, I think. Boots exist, and there's a breakdown of the entire session (songs, dialogue) somewhere on this here interweb.

Found it: [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-13 19:02 by JuanTCB.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 13, 2007 19:26

Wasn't the loose bunch that would jam together at the time called "The Jim Keltner Fan Club?"

In '73 at the bottom of the back cover of Red Rose Speedway there is some small print explaining how to get information on the "Wings Fun Club" (send a stamped, self addressed envelope)

At the bottom of the back cover of Living in the Material World--which came out just after RRS--a similar annoucement is made about "The Jim Keltner Fan Club" with instructions to send "an undressed elephant!"

Around that time the Random Notes section of Rolling Stone would make mention of gatherings of The Jim Keltner Fan Club, where the likes of Harrison, Lennon,Nilsson,Jagger, etc. (and Keltner!) would jam.

Given all the screaming at the Beatle shows, shouldn't the initial question have been, "Anyone out there actually HEARD a Beatles concert?"

Date: January 13, 2007 19:30

loog droog Wrote:
> Given all the screaming at the Beatle shows,
> shouldn't the initial question have been, "Anyone
> out there actually HEARD a Beatles concert?"

Just the ones who complained about the noise made by the final one on the Apple Studios rooftop, it would seem...

theres the irony. Part of the reason they stopped playing live was because no one could hear them. And then 3 years later when they try to perform again, the show gets halted by the police because someone complained it was too noisy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-13 19:31 by Gazza.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 13, 2007 21:16

Payphone Al Wrote:
> I have seen Lennon, Harrison and Macca solo.
> Never saw Ringo solo that I can remember.

I am curious to when you saw Lennon solo. He didn't do a whole lot of shows.

I've seen George, Paul, and Ringo live. I wish I had seen John Lennon in person.

The first time I saw a Beatle wasn't at a concert. It was Ringo at the L.A. premiere of "That'll Be The Day" in 1974 at the tiny Beverly Canon theatre. Got there a couple hours before and stood at front of the box office window. Keith Moon quickly walked in (unrecognized by the Beatle crowd!) about 10 feet away from me...about 20 minutes later Ringo shows up in a limo, and the crowd goes nuts. Seeing a Beatle was unbelievable. There was just this ENERGY. During all this I look over at the guy who got out of the car with Ringo...it's Harry Nilsson who is a few steps ahead, and now standing at the door,waiting for Ringo to make it through a mob that's formed around him. He's just calmly watching Ringo, nobody even notices him. So I shout out "HEY! HAREEE!!" He looks over at me. And I just give him a thumbs up. And he nods. I was glad that I was able to let him know I was a fan.

This was during Lennon's "Lost Weekend" period. Around that time I met a friend of my girlfriend whose Mom met John at a party the week before. That just blew me away. And I was pissed because the mom wasn't even a fan!

Lennon was my favorite Beatle. The only one I never saw. Damn.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 13, 2007 22:56

lazy-slob Wrote:
> > My girlfriend saw them in Copenhagen, Tivoli,
> > 1966. So there.
>
> Did she? A major problem since The Beatles only
> played once in Denmark: June 4. 1964.

Come on man, don't ruin it for him, thats where she told him she was.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home