Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Seeing The Band Live (1972 vs Now)
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 1, 2006 03:34

In terms of excitement, I don't think they've lost a thing. An anonymous benefactor sent me a copy of Ladies & Gentlemen, and while it is raw and exciting (for the time period), by today's standards it is sloppy and perfunctory.

It's history, and you gotta take it in context. Here we are, in 2006, with all these great performances documented for prosperity, and it's all becomes clear.

The crowds are different, the atmosphere is different. Mick Jagger knows what we wnat, even more than we realize ourselves. The danger is replaced by the familiar, with a few nuggets tossed in for the hardcore, and the shows represent a legacy.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that approach.

Now -- for THIS Stones fan -- I now have the Hampton 1981 show on DVD -- that's how I saw them, in Lexington 5 days earlier.

We've ALL changed, as much as some may hate to acknowledge it. They have grown WITH us, but still offer that hint of rebellion and danger. Nonconformity and independence. Make your own set of rules, even at the age of 63.

For me -- they are an inspiration. Don't let the bastards at our workplaces drag you down to their level.

In short --there is still hope.

Re: Seeing The Band Live (1972 vs Now)
Posted by: Strike ()
Date: December 1, 2006 03:42

Who cares about now??

It`s better to burn out than just to fade away....

http://www.feelinggood24.de/page-rauchstop.html';]

[/url]

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 1, 2006 04:29

Strike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who cares about now??

Ok. That kinda begs the question --why did you even bother to respond? You give up on the band? Why are you here, then?

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: December 1, 2006 04:36

"Ladies & Gentlemen ....by today's standards it is sloppy and perfunctory"

Say what?

Where is it sloppy?

72 is much tighter and better IMHO.

Brown Sugar? = better in 72
Bitch? = a tie
Tublin Dice? = better in 72
Dead Flowers? = better in 72
Happy? = at least Keef play guitar in 72
YCAGWYW? = well........72 by a mile
Midnight Rambler? = a tie
JJF? = better in 72
Rip? = better in 72
SFM? = better in 72

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 1, 2006 04:39

agree with all but bitch, much better in 72

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 1, 2006 04:46

Too many bands live in the past. The Stones, to remain important, have to keep releasing great material and throwing in an occasional tour. ABB was a great CD...wish they had played more of it live.

My 3 complaints with the Stones of now vs the 1970s are:
1. Ticket prices have gotten out way out of hand, alienating new fans and some old
2. They seem less likely to play newer material. In 1978 I aw them play most of the Some Girls album in Buffalo, and the record had barely come out. They believed in it and played it. They should have had thatconfidence in ABB. Fewer warhorses and more new material would make them much more relevant,
3. For all they invest in the stage and lights in recent tours, they should have invested in a better sound system. It's 2006...there is no excuse for lousy sound. The shows I have seen in the past several tours (Toronto 2005, SARSfest where the Stones had a shitty mix compared to any of the other bands, Toronto Licks Tour, Toronto 1995(?), Syracuse (3 times)) all featured less than crisp sound.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: December 1, 2006 05:48

Two words:
MICK TAYLOR!!

Posted by: TombstoneShadow ()
Date: December 1, 2006 10:24

I saw 'em in 1972, and until the 40 Licks Tour I thought '72 couldn't be topped. But for overall musicianship, and ESPECIALLY Keith's guitar, 40 Licks is still my favorite of their many great tours.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: December 1, 2006 10:44

buffalo7478 Wrote:
> Too many bands live in the past. The Stones, to
> remain important, have to keep releasing great
> material and throwing in an occasional tour. ABB
> was a great CD...wish they had played more of it
> live.
>
> My 3 complaints with the Stones of now vs the
> 1970s are:
> 1. Ticket prices have gotten out way out of hand,
> alienating new fans and some old
> 2. They seem less likely to play newer material.
> In 1978 I aw them play most of the Some Girls
> album in Buffalo, and the record had barely come
> out. They believed in it and played it. They
> should have had thatconfidence in ABB. Fewer
> warhorses and more new material would make them
> much more relevant,
> 3. For all they invest in the stage and lights in
> recent tours, they should have invested in a
> better sound system. It's 2006...there is no
> excuse for lousy sound. The shows I have seen in
> the past several tours (Toronto 2005, SARSfest
> where the Stones had a shitty mix compared to any
> of the other bands, Toronto Licks Tour, Toronto
> 1995(?), Syracuse (3 times)) all featured less
> than crisp sound.

I agree with number 2 completely,4 abb songs at shows would spark an interest in the album for the people who didn't buy/give it a chance.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: December 1, 2006 11:24

bigfrankie Wrote:
> "Ladies & Gentlemen ....by today's standards it is
> sloppy and perfunctory"
>
> Say what?
>
> Where is it sloppy?
>
> 72 is much tighter and better IMHO.
>
> Brown Sugar? = better in 72
> Bitch? = a tie
> Tublin Dice? = better in 72
> Dead Flowers? = better in 72
> Happy? = at least Keef play guitar in 72
> YCAGWYW? = well........72 by a mile
> Midnight Rambler? = a tie
> JJF? = better in 72
> Rip? = better in 72
> SFM? = better in 72

Please they were Gods in 1972-73. Today its a nostalgia act, sometimes good but not the same band at all. And how could they be? All songs were better in 1872, they played them better, they sang them better, the tempo was better, the feel, the whole show was better.

Re: the Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 1, 2006 11:27

>> they are an inspiration. <<

yes they sure are. guts & balls & tenacity
& faith in the power of rock & roll

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: December 1, 2006 11:33

1872!!! Now I know they have been going for a long time but........

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 1, 2006 11:42

"they were Gods in 1972-73. Today its a nostalgia act"

YOU are the nostalgia act, not the Stones!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: December 1, 2006 11:57

Charlie Watts would never admit it, but I think he´s finding it a lot easier to play live with Darryl Jones than with Bill. Darryl is more solid and groovy as a bass player.

Date: December 1, 2006 12:14

1962 Wrote:
> "they were Gods in 1972-73. Today its a nostalgia
> act"
>
> YOU are the nostalgia act, not the Stones!

Yes, ok you're right. I love they way they sounded, the lifestyle, etc and I miss it. I wouldnt mind seeing them today but I think theyre caught up in their iamges at least Keith is. And I miss Micks more spontanous funky singing, style etc of the 70s. They could be great today but its something with the Vegas act I dont like.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 1, 2006 13:37

My older brother Craig had seen the band back in those days, I'm way to young, and he always swore that they were at their best then and could never be topped. He just loved that period of their musical history. He was so funny. Once he was up on our roof painting the chimeny and we had that MSG '72 CD cranked up so loud on the Stereo. He was kind of high and started dancing around on the roof like a wild man when RIP YOUR JOINT came on. He was dancing like Mick Jagger and jumping all over the roof when he feel off and into some bushes. We were laughing so hard I think one guy messed up his underwears. Finally, when we had called for 5 minutes with no answer we went over and saw that he fell close to the pool and his head had hit the pool ladder. So then it wasn't really funny anymore cause there was blood everywhere and Craig wasn't moving except for some weird kind of spasm jerks in his arms and his legs. I would have to vote for 1972 I think cause Craig would have.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2006 13:58

But please HelterSkelter....Craig....is it how it reads?

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2006 14:17

Oh,hello Mr. Rockman. No, you see, Craig's my older brother and he thought they were at the game of their top in 1972. I like Saint of Mine , the Video, cause it reminds me of Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails).My brother Craig doesn't keep up with the band anymore cause he's in a home for long term care (head injuries). We bring in a boom box and play Live and Love You from that Toronto show. Craig loves to mumble "Bumbs Rush Jagger" that someone says and he laughs and laughs. Then he mumbles "Bumbs Rush Jagger" and laughs and laughs (I don't even know what that means but I'm happy my brother likes it).It wasn't all bad because now I have the whole bedroom to myself. Thank you for the pictures Mr. Rockman.

Date: December 1, 2006 14:25

Good ole Ronnie on Love Ya Live...keeps Craig smilin' and eeerrr you can call me Rock

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2006 14:36

OK Rock, I think my brother used to post on here back in the day.He would have been under McBrian58 I thimk, that's his last name and year of birthday.

Date: December 1, 2006 14:46

Bet he loves photography........and all things French

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: December 1, 2006 14:59

silly argument really.
Keith played guitar & we had M Taylor...

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: December 1, 2006 15:01

wink wink.......that Craig sounds like a nice guy......I think I remember him....from the long term care home...back in the day

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 1, 2006 16:51

Can't really decide. MT was great at that point of the game. Not so sure he would be good for them now. They're two different bands I think. There's the "then version" and the "now version". Of course the band now has to take their earlier songs more in consideration than the 1972 version.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: December 1, 2006 17:01

The Stones today are still, arguably, the greatest live Rock and Roll band out there. But, you really have to be honest here. In 1972, that band was on fire, and were basically on fire throughout the 60s when on stage. Its obvious, when one watches or hears those older concerts, that the band was much more focused in that 1st decade. When Keith is playing, hes REALLY playing. Giving it all he has, and then some. Nowadays, they still rock, but Keith has grown older, and just cant play like he did then. Just look at his hands...he has given it his all for almost 50 years. Plus, a large portion of the time, he is posing for the film crew, and this NEVER happened in the old days...he could give a hoot about some photographer. I still love them, and saw them a ton of times on all the tours since 1975, but they arent half the band they were back then...but they are still heads and shoulders above most of the other live acts out there. Just my opinion....

JR

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: December 1, 2006 18:01

Midnight Rambler at Dodger Stadium.......Danger.
The only thing I miss from the '72 version of the Stones is a great version of Love In Vain. Man, I can hear Charlie a lot better now then in '72 and that's good. The cool thing about '72 is that they were beginning that long strange trip that got them to to this point. Can't look back gotta keep moving forward.

Stoned since '64 and will 4ever be

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 1, 2006 18:30

bassplayer617 Wrote:
They have grown WITH us, but
> still offer that hint of rebellion and danger.
> Nonconformity and independence.

Sorry bassplayer but I don't see any hint of real rebellion, danger and nonconformity with the Stones these days, only an imiitation of those qualities. They have become a part of the very establishement they rebeled against 40 years ago. At that time they were truly rebellious, dangerous and nonconformal. Not so now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-01 18:55 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 1, 2006 18:34

'72 drugged out angst, youthful adrenalin, anti-establishment.......i still love the Stones...but honestly, that was their peak......the tones, musicianship, songwriting, image........when you see the # '72, it's like, yeah.....everything after will be measured against this

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2006 19:22

amen to that, lenny

Date: December 1, 2006 19:27

ChrisM Wrote:
> bassplayer617 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> They have grown WITH us, but
> > still offer that hint of rebellion and danger.
> > Nonconformity and independence.
>
> Sorry bassplayer but I don't see any hint of real
> rebellion, danger and nonconformity with the
> Stones these days, only an imiitation of those
> qualities. They have become a part of the very
> establishement they rebeled against 40 years ago.
> At that time they were truly rebellious, dangerous
> and nonconformal. Not so now.

Yup, you're right. And in 1972 very few geeks listened to them. Today they are like a sports event. A team to support.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home