Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Vancouver reports and comments
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 26, 2006 13:07

BOBM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They need to get back to doing 24 songs in the set
> and giving us 2 hours and 15 minutes. Doing 19 or
> 20 is just not enough.

Where exactly is this limit? If there's a limit for this there's a limit for everything. Even for when you're old and you're not old. When is "old" exactly? Can you tell me the exact year, month, day, hour, minute and second that you go from being young to old?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 26, 2006 13:52

After his accident on Fiji, I have never heard him sing better. In Europe 2006, he did some beuatiful versions of Slipping Away and Before They Make Me Run. His voice has been strong and clear on this tour. I was lucky to experience You Got The Silver at Giants some weeks ago to. Compared with the last tours, I think Keith's voice is in a really good shape - and this was confirmed last night when he did 3 songs.

Re: Shine a Light with Bonnie Raitt in Vancouver
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 26, 2006 14:30

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Wow, in order to hit 20 Mick couldn't muster up a
> short AS TEARS GO BY but needed to have Keith add
> another number? Don't really get how Keith doing 3
> is a positive thing...IMO Keith doing 1 is
> positive....Jagger's voice is just a bit better
> (by MAYBE a thousand times)....

Steady on now old chap, this fanatical optimism of yours might become contagious.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 26, 2006 14:55

Wow, what a great setlist, and a historical 3-song-spot for Keith, sounds like a grand event.

Date: November 26, 2006 15:04

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Wow, what a great setlist, and a historical
> 3-song-spot for Keith, sounds like a grand event.

exactly.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 26, 2006 15:40

~*YEAH!*~

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 26, 2006 16:23

Beast Wrote:
> I thought they were lucky getting Midnight Rambler
> (since I always want to hear it) but then three
> songs from Keith as well! Looking forward to
> reading some reviews. Wonder how they left the
> stage, since it may have been the last time...
>
> For a while, anyway.

Hey there NYC ! Did the palms enjoy their trip to Canada ? Glad it was an indoor venue, wouldn't have wanted the poor things to get frostbitten, they're hopefully gonna do a LOT more travelling next year ... ideally in southern Europe too !!

Re: a historical SHOW: Keith playing 3 songs in Vancouver !!
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 26, 2006 16:39

MicksBrain Wrote:
> When I go to a Stones concert I
> want to hear Mick belting out the songs, not up
> there acting as a guest artist.

Ahem - careful now, MB. Next thing you'll be saying you ARE going to a Stones concert. Now that would be historic. LOL.

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: November 26, 2006 17:28

Sounds like an awesome show. About three thousand miles from Montreal, so too far to go for the weekend.

Its astonshing that the folks who weren't there, seem to know more than the ones that were there.

Lets hope they're back next year and if not not, I might even go to Europe......

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: November 26, 2006 17:48

MicksBrain wrote:

(Á) "You missed '69 and the 70's my friend, you missed the years they really were THE BEST..."

Oh, this dogmatic theory about "golden years", in which "everything was perfect", sounds in my ears as a childish, tiring and tiresome nostalgic "myth", if not nostalgic crap... My friend, i'm 46 years old. I didn't miss '70s. In Knewborth 1976 i saw Keith being almost "dead". I was 150% into the Stones at time when Mick was bellowing rather than singing ("Love You Live" years). I have heard a notable number of frivolous and unstable versions of Stones songs, during 1978 tour. For 1,000 reasons the Stones were always THE BEST, atleast as live act. For 1,500 reasons they are THE BEST today. Their performances are clearly proving that, IMO. And in opinion of many, many fans who "were there" in the so called "golden years" too.

(Â) "Naw, I just don't get excited about NOTHING....."

That explains a lot. Serious problem, but YOUR problem.

(C) "This tour has gone from Interesting to almost pathetic IMO."

If you say so...

(D) "Last show and they can't even hit 20 without Keith adding another one"

Oh, do you think that THIS was necessarily the...real reason to adding another one Keith's song?? Then, by your logic the Stones was a "dead", "pathetic" band in 1969 (only 13-14 songs on each show), in 1971 (10-12 songs), in 1972 (17-18 songs), in 1973 (16 songs in Australia and 14-18 on european tour) and in 1978 (16- 19 songs). Keith's third song was just a surprise. Maybe it was a bad surprise to you. OK, it's a matter of taste. But considering this as a fact that "proves" a kind of band's ...inability, it's not only a rediculous assertion. That's a clear proof of how childish becomes anymore your slur against the Stones, my friend.

(E) "Half of the tickets to Dodgers Stadium have to be given away to kinda fill the place up to 80%, Honolulu is canceled due to super slow sales".

"Half of the tickets to Dodgers Stadium...". I think you are exaggerating (a bit or a lot) , but, OK, let's suppose that you're right. So what? Everybody could easily remind you of Stones gigs which had been cancelled due to slow ticket sales, since 1990. Or, even earlier, of stadiums having 72, 000 capacity with 50,000 crowd only (for example, Munich #2 in 1982). Who the hell says that a band that plays to 4-5 million of people worldwide, has necessarily to fill 100% any venue, any time, in any place of the planet?

If you haven't noticed that, ABB tour drawn 3.5 million of people worldwide, so far, not including Rio's concert- and the party goes on in 2007! If you haven't noticed that, on the current tour the Stones in the USA - Canada played to 2 + million of people- that does mean a bit bigger attendance that 1981 tour. And you tell us that we must judge the things only by 4-5 gigs, which took place during the last american leg, in cities (NY, Boston, Chicago, LA) the Stones played earlier two, three of four times ??!! Funny...

A last point: Yes, in a few cases the Stones gave special offers. As you can understand, with these annoying ticket prices, this method was a logical "counterbalance". But, when in a stadium there are 45,000 people, we are talking about 45,000 people who take an interest in the Stones. Who cares about how many of them payed 500&, 30& or nothing? Probably M. Cohl cares a lot, because he counts the gross. But why me, or you, or all of us? Who says that a person, rich or poor, deserves to be at a Stones show only paying a lot of money for that? Probably mr Cohl thinks as that. So, be careful Micks Brain! With these "arguments", your efforts at underestimate band's success are taking yourself very close to ...M. Cohl's "codes"!

(F) As i said, don't get excited by NOTHING..."

As i said, if you feel psychicaly tired of EVERYTHING, that's not a band's problem...

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: November 26, 2006 18:16

Sorry dude, the Stones from '69 can't hold a candle to Stones from now, there might of been more danger and menace in them then. Look where it got them. But 2006 version of the Stones are mighty, mighty. I was front row at the Forum in '69, so I know what I am talking about. They might be a little slicker but they are still pretty sloppy. The Midnight Rambler that they did at Dodger Stadium the other night. WOW. It wasn't that good in '69. My favorite Stones period is '72 but now it might be tied with the modern day Stones. Just the fact that we are talking about a group that was touring in '69 is kind of amazing so chill.

Date: November 26, 2006 18:17

Good post sticky!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 26, 2006 18:28

The warmup set was sort of echo sound because they are not supposed to perform at full volume. But the moment the Stones hit the stage at 8:49pm the volume was peaking and so were the band members. Some crowds are slow, but the Vancouver crowd was certainly both ready and in for it from the very start.

Keith came over and did some great licks on IORR, and as he had a big smile on his face while playing in front of a certain fan in the front he tossed his pick, which was flying like a butterfly in the air, and much to this fan's surprise it landed on his jacked that had been following him on tour for 16 months. So the jacked served it's purpose and the fan was real happy.

Shine A Ligh was a much better choice for the guest spot, with Bonnie Raitt filling in nicely. Mick grabbed her real tight, but you could see Bonnie had a slightly more gentle "grab" around Mick, knowing it is not everyday you do a duet with Sir Mick.

Keith got a roaring ovation lasting for minutes from the sell-out 50,000 crowd in the Dome as he entered the stage. He was truely touched, and it must have been great for him to know that he was already in for a set of 3 songs in his part of the show, for the first time ever at a Stones show.

The rest of the show was just as great as you may expect from a band that have been on the road for 16 months, starting this circus in Toronto at the Phenix club, ending it in Vancouver Canada, with rumours and actually more than just rumours about a few more shows for those who did not see them yet on this tour. But hey - they need a break of 5 or so months now. Thanks for the great great shows!

Bjornulf

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 26, 2006 21:12

bv Wrote:
> The warmup set was sort of echo sound because they
> are not supposed to perform at full volume. But
> the moment the Stones hit the stage at 8:49pm the
> volume was peaking and so were the band members.
> Some crowds are slow, but the Vancouver crowd was
> certainly both ready and in for it from the very
> start.
>
> Keith came over and did some great licks on IORR,
> and as he had a big smile on his face while
> playing in front of a certain fan in the front he
> tossed his pick, which was flying like a butterfly
> in the air, and much to this fan's surprise it
> landed on his jacked that had been following him
> on tour for 16 months. So the jacked served it's
> purpose and the fan was real happy.
>
> Shine A Ligh was a much better choice for the
> guest spot, with Bonnie Raitt filling in nicely.
> Mick grabbed her real tight, but you could see
> Bonnie had a slightly more gentle "grab" around
> Mick, knowing it is not everyday you do a duet
> with Sir Mick.
>
> Keith got a roaring ovation lasting for minutes
> from the sell-out 50,000 crowd in the Dome as he
> entered the stage. He was truely touched, and it
> must have been great for him to know that he was
> already in for a set of 3 songs in his part of the
> show, for the first time ever at a Stones show.
>
> The rest of the show was just as great as you may
> expect from a band that have been on the road for
> 16 months, starting this circus in Toronto at the
> Phenix club, ending it in Vancouver Canada, with
> rumours and actually more than just rumours about
> a few more shows for those who did not see them
> yet on this tour. But hey - they need a break of 5
> or so months now. Thanks for the great great
> shows!

Hey BV, thanks for doing a bang up job of keeping us informed during this long eventful tour. It's been a lot of fun going to shows and following the tour along on this website. Keep on rocking boys. See you in Europe next year.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 27, 2006 05:26

Overall, a great show, as was expected. Mick even commented on the weather outside, which was snowing, but it was nice indoors. I was row 17 on the floor in A3. Some comments:

The two lighting arms that extend either side of the drum kit really block the view of the big screen above Charlie. Unless you're viewing the stage straight on, they block your view. It was good that they had screens on the sides of the stage for the people in the stands. They also had screens on the edge of the stage facing forwards which were used during Bonnie Raitt's set but they were covered up for the Stones. It would have been good to have them going, too, since it was difficult to see them on the B stage but the side video screens showed them.
I didn't realize how much guitar Blondie plays. For the first few songs, he was sitting down behind Chuck playing sort of hidden to most of the audience. He probably played guitar on probably 14-15 songs.
Mick said it was the first time they'd played here since the Voodoo Lounge tour back in 1990 something. They were here for the Babylon tour in Jan 98.
This is the first time I'd seen Mick wear one of those headset microphones. I'm sure he's worn it every show on the tour but I never knew.
During Midnight Rambler, Keith had a huge smile on his face watching Mick kick into his harmonica solo.
Keith did seem truly touched by the huge ovation he got during the band intros. I thought he would say the usual it's good to be here... but he didn't. The big screen above the stage briefly showed a person in the crowd holding up toy coconut tree.
Charlie got a huge ovation and he stepped out to the front of the stage. Mick was smiling and was trying to hand him the microphone but Charlie smiled and then sat down at his drumset.
As was mentioned, Brown Sugar stretched on too long. Mick kept looking at Keith trying to get him to end it but it continued on so Mick got the crowd signing more Yeah Yeah Yeah Whooo's.
Also mentioned, Mick came out for YCAGWYW and was singing literally twice as fast as the music was going. I wondered why he was trying to sing so fast.
On Sympathy, Lisa and Bernard joined the rest of the band at center stage singing the Whoo Whoo's. Hadn't seen them do that on previous tours.
During the finale of Satisfaction, Mick ran to the very edge of the stage on the left, then sprinted across to the other side, and then ran the full length down the center strip to where the B side was and then back. Probably sprinted almost 250 meters!! Unbelievable how much energy he has. Everyone in the crowd were just smiling shaking their heads in disbelief at the energy. I think the only performer that moves around as much as Mick is probably Angus Young.
Fireworks were getting pretty close to the teflon roof. You could see the roof waving a bit.
They must have raked in a ton of cash on merchandise sales. Huge lineups. The little Stones tongues that light up were a huge hit and when you looked up into the crowd, you can see literally thousands of them going.
Surprised at the number of young people there were. Quite a few teenagers and lots of 20 somethings in the crowd.
I parked in a lot that I usually park in when I go downtown. It's about 10 blocks or so from the stadium and it cost $3. A friend of mine ended up parking in a lot a bit closer to the stadium and they paid $30!!
Unfortunately, we didn't stick around downtown afterwards due to the weather. Didn't get home until 2 am but if it wasn't snowing I would have gotten home at around 1 am. It snowed overnight and all day today. I'm glad the show wasn't tonight because I probably wouldn't have been able to get down to see it with the lousy road conditions.

Date: November 27, 2006 05:32

One more comment I forgot. When Bonnie was introducing her band, I'm pretty sure she said the drummer was Ricky Fataar. He was in the movie The Rutles, playing the character equivalent to George Harrison.
He played guitar in concert with the Beach Boys in the early 70's I believe. I didn't realize he played drums, too.
For those that haven't seen the movie, I would highly recommend you see it. Monty Python mockumentary of The Beatles, with Mick doing a very funny cameo scene.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: November 27, 2006 05:34

keith sounded so GREAT on you got the silver in atlantic city that i'm glad he got to do three songs in vancouver..

has he cut down on smoking cigs ??? his voice was so clear in AC i got to wonder..

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 27, 2006 05:52

Lisa and Bernard also came to centre stage at the two Beacon shows during SFD.

I suspect that was a well-travelled coconut palm of mine and Paulywaul's up on the big screen - we sent a couple to Vancouver with a friend. They already made quite a few appearances on that screen during the summer...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 27, 2006 06:08

stoned_in_dc Wrote:
> keith sounded so GREAT on you got the silver in
> atlantic city that i'm glad he got to do three
> songs in vancouver..
>
> has he cut down on smoking cigs ??? his voice was
> so clear in AC i got to wonder..

I didn't go to vancouver, but I went to oak.pho. and LA and he was smoking at every show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-28 04:08 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: stonesgirl ()
Date: November 27, 2006 09:11

Keith was smoking last night, in more ways than one! smiling smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 27, 2006 18:38

DGA35 Wrote:
> One more comment I forgot. When Bonnie was
> introducing her band, I'm pretty sure she said the
> drummer was Ricky Fataar. He was in the movie The
> Rutles, playing the character equivalent to George
> Harrison.
> He played guitar in concert with the Beach Boys in
> the early 70's I believe. I didn't realize he
> played drums, too.

I missed Bonnie's act, but if that's true, then that's pretty cool. Ricky Fataar was primarily a drummer during his stint with the Beach Boys. Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar were both in a South AFrican group called, I believe, The Flame, when they caught the eye of Carl Wilson, who asked them to join the Beach Boys. Blondie and Ricky wrote a number of song on the albums "Carl and the Passions" and "Holland", and toured with the band briefly during the early 70's (but at the peak of their powers).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 27, 2006 18:51

Ricky Fataar was Bonnie's drummer when I saw her a few months ago, so thats who it was OK.

[www.bonnieraitt.com]

Thought it was a funny move on Eric Idle's part to cast him in the Rutles as the 'George' character (the very Indian looking Stig O'Hara) and then emphasise the fact that he was 'the quiet one' by not giving him any lines at all...LOL

Posted by: Des ()
Date: November 27, 2006 19:53

Keith, Keith , Keith

He came out swinging, buy the start of IORR I could see he was on so no concerns about his playing tonight.

It looked like nothing was going to ruin his night, he joked at small mistakes, worked the whole stage (made me wonder why I bought tickets on his side) encouraged Ron, good moments with Mick.

Then that ovation, wow three thundeous trips to the mike, down on one knee, head draped over the mike in humbelness, truly moving for him and Keith fans. Never seen anything like this.

Three songs, three great songs.

Now its time for Keith to stut right infront of me as we stormed the Bstage, a great personal Keith moment.

Tough to watch them make that bow. Although a truley great set, minimal comments, maybe a mielstone for the band but one hell of a night for the man.

Date: November 27, 2006 20:39

Des Wrote:
> Keith, Keith , Keith
>
> He came out swinging, buy the start of IORR I
> could see he was on so no concerns about his
> playing tonight.
>
> It looked like nothing was going to ruin his
> night, he joked at small mistakes, worked the
> whole stage (made me wonder why I bought tickets
> on his side) encouraged Ron, good moments with
> Mick.
>

Ya I noticed that too - I was technically on Ronnie's side, but since Ronnie was planted pretty much in the middle all night, Mick wandered a lot on Keith's side and Keith wandered on Ronnie's side.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: November 27, 2006 21:21

Dean Goodman liked it!!!! (i think) says it all!!!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 28, 2006 07:51

i just got home from the show and i can't believe the vancouver report is on the 2nd page already...has that much happened since? my head is still in the clouds with thoughts of the show.

maybe a lot of people are still stuck in vancouver- i was on one a few flights that wasn't cancelled due to the show. a record snowfall - it didn't seem like a big deal to me. it was actually kind of pretty. made some new friends and saw old ones.

it was well worth the trip out there - emotional for keith, the ovation was the best since paris and i was a big cheerleader near the front - actually we had a few for him - he said a lot of things that night, each leading to extended cheers.

like dean goodman commented, it was the combination of shine a light, the longest midnight rambler ever (or so it seemed - i could hear that song for 2 hours), the ovation for keith and the 3 keith songs.

i was surprised that the bows at the end didn't last a little longer or didn't distinguish themselves just a little bit. maybe because it's not goodbye.

i finally made it to the smoke-friendly bar around noon today before leaving for the airport (made a concerted, but late effort to go last night) - the snow has been keeping the actual dealers off the street, however.

a special thanks to dr. bryant.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 28, 2006 11:42

Glad to hear that Queenie arrived home safely. I made it out, but there was a long delay while they were de-icing the plane and spraying down the wings -- made me a little nervous I must admit.

I agree w/the comments posted here; basically a great show. One thing that I should add --- I have seen three concerts in domed stadiums in the past year - Tokyo, Vancouver and Amsterdam. And, on any continent, unless you are right in front of the stage, the sound is not good.

Date: November 29, 2006 19:59

The local newspaper here gathered fan reports from the show here:

[www.canada.com]

Date: November 29, 2006 23:30

One last comment. After Keith finished playing Connection, he goes to the microphone and says, "That's rock and roll"!

Glad to see the comments about Ricky Fataar. Didn't realize he was a drummer.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home