Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Taylor - You tube Ochten - time waits for no one
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: November 23, 2006 05:51

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> micwer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's pretty funny to see how indulgent people
> can
> > be for MT when he screws up badly (such as on
> this
> > video) and at the same time kill Ronnie for
> > screwing up too. I've seen plenty of concerts
> > where Ronnie wasn't at the peak of its form,
> but
> > he's never been that bad.
> >
> > There's no doubt that MT is a better musician
> than
> > RW, that artistically speaking, the Stones were
> at
> > their peak when MT was in the band and that MT
> had
> > a MAJOR impact in the Stones best production.
> But
> > we should feel happy than RW is playing for the
> > Stones NOW, because he is currently much more
> > consistent. If MT is exhausted after a short
> > tour, could you imagine his playing after 18
> > months of a world tour?
>
> Sure, those random notes Woodie was spewing out
> during the Sway solos was f-ing embarassing. Sure,
> he improved over time, but is it that good?even
> now?

Ron and MT are both past their prime, that's a fact. But even with the screw-ups (and there were a bunch), I still think RW is a better choice for now. You would have asked me the same question 18 months ago, I would have said the opposite. But the last 4-5 shows I've seen, Ron was consistently better than whatever he has done over the past 20 years. As for MT, the video speaks for itself. I'm not saying the guy doesn't still have sparks of genius in him, but I doubt he's capable to play consistently for a whole tour. MT's obviously more gifted but at this point, it's not enough.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 23, 2006 11:52

ok ok ok theres more than one bum note in Taylor soloing, but looks like he is playing trademark solo from his head without proper rehearsing. not a good idea as it turned out but he gave it a try. its a very improvised affair and this songs simply needs better treatment, it is not one for a spontaneous jam. but besides the bum notes, the fluid guitar lines are there and if properly rehearsed, it could make great guest spot with Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-23 11:54 by alimente.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 23, 2006 12:02

Thanks for posting. But hey, I guess he shouldnt have played it after all. Sorry, but the bum notes and the insecurity is sad.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: November 23, 2006 14:15

I am a big MT fan and his contributions to the Stones music (studio and live) is amazing.I sincerely hope that music historians will give him in the future all the credit he rightfully deserves.
Having said that ,I would have preferred not to watch this video.
Sorry OpenG ,the guitar playing is bad .MT nowadays is just the shadow of the young genius who invented and played this beautiful solo.
Even if you 've not rehearsed enough a song you should be able ,after more than 40 years of career as a lead guitar player, to deliver a safe solo.TWFNO solo is magic for the feeling ,the sustain ,the vibrato that MT put into it ,not really for its technicality.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 23, 2006 14:56

Thank you for posting this! What a beautiful song that is! I must admit that I have never liked the original version very much. It surley has potential: the lyrical idea, the chord structure, and of course, Taylor's guitar solo, but they soemhow screwed it up in studio/production. The result soundes so IORR style forced (with hurry), especially Jagger's vocals that sound SOOO over-tried,And Taylor's solo was almost succeed in editing out.

But anyway, this insucure version I hear here - Taylor playing it first time live??!!! - really explicates the potential. Forget the santana-solo, the song has other qualities as well (listen Taylor's chording along the verses, and how he backs up the melody: beautiful). If current, 'mature-voiced' Jagger could take this song from the vaults, and perhaps listehn THIS nice vocal interpretation this guy does here, he might produce a superb version. This song really had potential to be an anthem (a'la "You Can't Always Get What You Want"). It never made it, but I think The Stones could still deliver a great, current version of it. Could be one of the show highlights.

And for that incredible "Santana-solo" - well, if the Stones could handle the jam part of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", why not this one. Ronnie can do part of it (no cracket science, that's true), and then, bring in the secret weapon, Mick's harp!

- Doxa

Date: November 23, 2006 15:11

olympia Wrote:
> I am a big MT fan and his contributions to the
> Stones music (studio and live) is amazing.I
> sincerely hope that music historians will give him
> in the future all the credit he rightfully
> deserves.
> Having said that ,I would have preferred not to
> watch this video.
> Sorry OpenG ,the guitar playing is bad .MT
> nowadays is just the shadow of the young genius
> who invented and played this beautiful solo.
> Even if you 've not rehearsed enough a song you
> should be able ,after more than 40 years of career
> as a lead guitar player, to deliver a safe
> solo.TWFNO solo is magic for the feeling ,the
> sustain ,the vibrato that MT put into it ,not
> really for its technicality.

Im also a huge fan of Taylors work with the Stones both songwriting and the way he played guitar but this clip is just sad for me.

Posted by: sjef ()
Date: November 23, 2006 15:39

melillo Wrote:
> maybe taylor didnt have as much to do with this
> song as we all thought, very uninspired

Please please people, realize that this is just one number from the 2,5 hour show! All his bluessongs, CYHMK, Gotta Move and others were just amazing on both nights! This TW4NO was an "experiment" as Taylor did not play it for many many years......

It's just a pity that only this song is posted on Youtube... The complete show was AMAZING!!!

Date: November 23, 2006 15:40

J.J. Flash,
He was not exhausted because he did a short tour. He was exhausted on Saturday night because he was already ill (flu + serious throat infection) before he started the show on Friday. Despite all this he played both nights till about a quarter to two doing all the singing, lead guitar and rhytm by himself which takes a lot of energy and focus even if you're feeling well.
It's easy to get the wrong impression from the video and get all dramatical based on two solo parts that didn't come off very well. I think it's down to tiredness (which in turn is the result of illness), if he would play it again today there would be no bum notes.

The video is from Saturday night. The whole band found it very tough going (drummer and keyboard player were also tired and it was extremely hot on stage) and technical problems can really get on top of someone under those circumstances. Of course this affected MT more than anyone else since he has to lead the band and it's his guitarplaying that people come out to see.
The video only shows the 4-5 minutes (out of 2 hours 40 minutes) he was most dissatisfied with. As said before it was an experiment and this short piece of film is not representative of the rest of the evening. Neither does it do justice to what MT is still capable of as a guitarist.
He can play these songs just as well as he did in the 70's. I would even go as far as saying that in some ways he's a better guitarist now (going by the way he plays his own songs) than he was then.

Posted by: RayStones ()
Date: November 23, 2006 17:58

I love MT and like Ronnie.....and I am sure this will upset some people but I beleive that MT has been destroyed by drug and alcohol addiction. He has his moments but there are times when I look at him and I think "what the hell happened to the guy". He looked good up until the eraly 90's ( I seen him almost half a dozen times up close at small clubs in the Philly area.) I realize that Keith and Ronnie have aged and have had their moments but to me MT just looks far worse for wear than either on of them. Maybe because they have the money.

Date: November 23, 2006 20:51

Nonsense.
You probably wouldn't look you're best when you're 57 and you have to sing and play guitar for 2,5 hours after coming down with the flu and finding out that same morning you can't even speak because of a throat infection.

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: November 23, 2006 21:49

Just my opinion: If you make video recordings without the artist's permission, be respectful to the artist and don't put it on You Tube. Just keep it to yourself.
There are so many things on You Tube wich are not representative for the artist.
Every improvising musician has his up and downs in very every show he does. It's not fair to focus on the downs. If that's your attitude; you better visit only over and over rehearsed entertainment shows like Madonna etc.
I enjoyed every minute of Mick Taylor's GREAT shows on both days. He's still very very creative and he still has that wonderful sound. He is and remains a true virtuoso in the history of rock and roll!
Greetings,
Jan Athmer

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 23, 2006 23:16

I went to see Mick twice a couple of years ago and although he was virtually faultless in his second show he did give the impression on the first show that he was feeling his way somewhat particuarly at the beginning. Mick is still a fabulous guitarist and his greatness has yet to leave him but he isn't always on top form.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 28, 2006 00:18

This is a very funny thread. Let's consider: Taylor played this song in 1974. Played it again in a radio station studio in 2001, then slops up an impromptu performance in 2006 (that probably only occurred because of a request from his friend Nyhoff) and that demonstrates he has lost it? When Taylor flubs a performance like that it's due to laziness or lack of preparation. It may also have something to do with the sophistication of what he is playing. This performance has little to do with his ability or musical imagination. Even when Woody is "on" (for him) he is a thoroughly uninteresting guitar player. Whether he is entertaining or not depends on your taste. Taylor and Woody are apples and oranges when it comes to guitar playing. They are worlds apart.

According to a guitar playing friend of mine: Taylor tripped himself up. In the TWFNO solo he changes keys. He said it is something Taylor often does and it is something he uses to make his playing unique and interesting. He said Taylor forgot what he played (in '74) and missed the key switch. It surprised him to hear the bum notes and uncharacteristically, he got flustered. The next time Nyhoff asks for that one, Mick, try rehearsing it. It may take a few minutes, but you'll get it.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 28, 2006 00:21

When I paint my masterpiece Wrote:
> J.J. Flash,
> He was not exhausted because he did a short tour.
> He was exhausted on Saturday night because he was
> already ill (flu + serious throat infection)
> before he started the show on Friday. Despite all
> this he played both nights till about a quarter to
> two doing all the singing, lead guitar and rhytm
> by himself which takes a lot of energy and focus
> even if you're feeling well.
> It's easy to get the wrong impression from the
> video and get all dramatical based on two solo
> parts that didn't come off very well. I think it's
> down to tiredness (which in turn is the result of
> illness), if he would play it again today there
> would be no bum notes.
>
> The video is from Saturday night. The whole band
> found it very tough going (drummer and keyboard
> player were also tired and it was extremely hot on
> stage) and technical problems can really get on
> top of someone under those circumstances. Of
> course this affected MT more than anyone else
> since he has to lead the band and it's his
> guitarplaying that people come out to see.
> The video only shows the 4-5 minutes (out of 2
> hours 40 minutes) he was most dissatisfied with.
> As said before it was an experiment and this short
> piece of film is not representative of the rest of
> the evening. Neither does it do justice to what MT
> is still capable of as a guitarist.
> He can play these songs just as well as he did in
> the 70's. I would even go as far as saying that in
> some ways he's a better guitarist now (going by
> the way he plays his own songs) than he was then.

dude, where do you see me bashing Taylor? Not here. Now Ronnie on the other hand

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: November 28, 2006 06:06

No way should we judge MT from this one YouTube video. The only fair way to judge him would be if he was able to rehearse and play multiple shows with The Stones.

One thing that can not be denied is MT does not look good. John Mayalls 70th B-day party wasn't that long ago and he played very well. He had Buddy W on stage with him and Buddy has been playing with Mayall and is a good a guitar player as you will find anywhere, mT still was great.

Let MT practice with The Stones for a couple of weeks and then turn him loose on YCAGWYW or Love in Vain and you would have a full house go nuts.

It is really a shame that he is playing to small crowds like this and most people under 40 or non-hardcore fans don't have a clue who he is.

Time Waits for No One is the perfect title for this video...................

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 28, 2006 11:59

PMK251 wrote:
According to a guitar playing friend of mine: Taylor tripped himself up. In the TWFNO solo he changes keys. He said it is something Taylor often does and it is something he uses to make his playing unique and interesting.

TWFNO is in A minor and doesn't change key. Taylor wouldn't change key unless the key of the song changed. I can't think of one Taylor Stones song that changes key come to mention it.

I think what you friend meant is that Taylor changes position which means he moves up and down the fretboard. Guys like Keith Richards will play solos in one position usually.

From memory, MT starts the TWFNO solo playing an ascending riff:

D string 5th & 7th fret
G string 4th, 5th & 7th fret
B string 5th, 6th, 8th and 10th fret
E string 7th, 8th & 10th fret (also bend up from the 10th fret to the 12th fret & releases it)

Most guitarists would play A minor around the 5th, 7th & 8th frets. That's where Taylor starts but end up playing around the 7th, 8th & 10th frets.

He also plays some licks on the E string 12th, 13th & 15th frets descending down the E string with a series of pull offs. There are a lot of other interesting things as well eg, use of harmonics.

It's an inspired solo. On par with the solo from the Beatles 'Something'.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 28, 2006 12:29

If you watch taylor gets caught on the wrong fret as he does his ascending run thats the bum note you all hear.

its funny keith and woody have played bum notes live since 1981 and this forum lets them get away with highway robbery as professional musicians in the greatest live rock and roll band LOL.

yes taylor plays up and down the fretboard and keith and ronnie stay in one position and play it safe to hide behind the WEAVING.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 28, 2006 12:40

The thing I like especially about this solo is that it was one where Mick Taylor 'heard' the scale and played that. That is why I think it is akin to 'Something'. Both of them are such signature parts of their respective tunes that one bum note really sticks out.
I agree Keith and Ron tend to stick to minor pentatonic riffs in the one position. Keith relying heavily on double stop Chuck Berry riffs. On certain tunes it works but on songs like SFTD & Satisfaction it grates especially when his bends are not in key. I won't comment on Ronnie too much as he seems to be mixed so low that he is negligible.

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: November 28, 2006 13:26

todd40fla Wrote:
> great stuff!!! thank you so much for sharing!!!
>
> my impressions.....
>
> some amazing moments...and some others that are
> incredibly flat.
>
> if MT were to play with the stones today.....he
> would have to work hard to get up to their level
> in many ways.....

this is the funniest thing I have read for years!!
Have to work hard to reach what level ?? The level of posing, pulling faces, hardly playing a chord, a note....even though this performance is not the highest MT performance, it clearly leaves the Stones guitar jokes in their wake...

Date: December 19, 2006 20:10

Hi folks
check out this:

That;s the new post I spotted, now it's possible to see the great 3 minute solo that was cutted off the previous video-post..!

And notice, he just picks up the lead and he never played the song for ages!

He's a true unique master!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 19, 2006 20:19

The Vibrato Lives - thks so much

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: December 19, 2006 22:53

Although he didn't master TWFNO on this particular night, what a treat! I'm certain the Stones will never play this song with their current lineup. Unfortunately, it's beyond Woody's capability. The shame is Taylor left the band shortly after this release. I wonder if he was still a Stone in '75 if they would have played it on tour. It would have been the absolute highlight of every concert.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 19, 2006 22:54

Its a crap song

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: December 19, 2006 23:00

You are entitled to your opinion and it may not play like rock 'n roll. In my opinion, musically it is one of their best. The lyrics are simple, the arrangements may or may not be dependent upon on who you focus your ears. Taylor's playing is flawless and amazing! Not a rocker like Dance Little Sister or If You Can't Rock Me, not soulful like Ain't Too Proud to Beg, not funky like Fingerprint File, just better than all of them.

Date: December 19, 2006 23:46

For the love of Brian, it's not about a couple of bum notes, he is insecure and cant play this song. Listen to anything he did in the 70s and then this. He's older yes, and it's sad to watch. Ha can't play like he used to.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 20, 2006 06:27

rollingandrocking Wrote:
> Hi folks
> check out this:
>

> lated&search=
>
> That;s the new post I spotted, now it's possible
> to see the great 3 minute solo that was cutted off
> the previous video-post..!
>
> And notice, he just picks up the lead and he never
> played the song for ages!
>
> He's a true unique master!

Thanks so much for the link. That is fascinating. It would be great if he would add it to his setlist though he seems to play this song only with Nyhoff.

Posted by: euro'73 ()
Date: December 20, 2006 20:59

The complete show from November 18 is available at dimeadozen. It's in excellent sound quality, must better than the poor you tube sound.

Hours are like diamonds, don't let them waste

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home