Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rebel Yell - Keith's favourite bourbon whiskey question
Posted by: Borna ()
Date: November 17, 2006 21:39

How would you describe Rebel Yell's taste, quality, etc.? Please compare it with Jack Daniel's or Southern Comfort!

Re: Rebel Yell - Keith's favourite bourbon whiskey question
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 17, 2006 21:43

A barrel of JD with a tiny piece of parfumed soap in it^^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-17 21:44 by open-g.

Posted by: rich-wdc ()
Date: November 17, 2006 21:46

Definitely not like So. Comfort. It's more like a Makers Mark, Evan Williams, etc, but--honestly-- not that good.
I used to try it regularly out of respect to the man, but I find it not the right smoothness for me.
(EARLY TIMES is my inexpensive browndrink, if I can't have JACK or GRAND OL DAD)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 17, 2006 21:47

southern comfort isn't bourbon, for starters. it's a liqueur. JD and RY are comparable in taste - go with RY if you're lookin' to save a few bucks. And, if you're not - forget bourbon altogether and go with what real drinkers prefer - Scotch Whisky or Irish Whiskey.

Posted by: Monty5 ()
Date: November 17, 2006 21:48

rich-wdc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
It's more like
> a Makers Mark, Evan Williams,

Which one? There is a about a $25 difference per bottle between Makers & EW.

Date: November 17, 2006 21:51

>>forget bourbon altogether and go with what real drinkers prefer - Scotch Whisky or Irish Whiskey.<<

I've tried it ever so often and I always think - "uhh - I'm gonna kill that cat"

...always come back to Four Roses.

Date: November 17, 2006 21:52

I don't prefer the taste of scotch whiskey, I know that it is quality, but JD and SC are much more to my taste. That's why I'm interested in RY.

Date: November 17, 2006 21:54

once more, borna - SC may be to your taste, but it's no bourbon (not whisky, either - but then again, BOURBON ain't whisky).

Posted by: Monty5 ()
Date: November 17, 2006 21:57

Anyone know why Jack Daniels decided to eliminate 86 proof and go with 80 a few years ago?

Date: November 17, 2006 22:00

yes, I know my friend, I'm not talking exactly about bourbons or whiskey, but about all strong drinks, bourbons, whiskeys, liqueres, and so on.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 17, 2006 22:02

Monty5 Wrote:
> Anyone know why Jack Daniels decided to eliminate
> 86 proof and go with 80 a few years ago?

In Europe JD did that in order to keep the prices at the same level to counteract the increase in tax. Tax is calculated by the percentage of alcohol. Lowering from 86 to 80 proof totally took the bite out of the bourbon.

My ever favourite is Old Grandad by the way. Hard to get, but it's the best.

Mathijs

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 17, 2006 22:07

Dont touch it lads!!!...You wont be able to walk and talk....that was the time playing the game of being Keith!!

Date: November 17, 2006 22:17

Mathijs Wrote:
>>
> My ever favourite is Old Grandad by the way.

i thought we were talking spirits. is the ol' guy still around?

Date: November 17, 2006 23:46

how would you compare JD with RY?

Posted by: kait ()
Date: November 18, 2006 00:14

try "wild turkey"

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 18, 2006 00:22

I like JD a lot visited the distillery in Lynchburg Tennesse in 2001 great tour oddly it's in a dry county so you can't buy any to drink only special vintage stuff to take home.Dissapointed to find out that Keith's name was not on the list of people who had bought a Single Barrel.
Whilst in Tennesse was recomened George Dickle sippin' whiskey very nice managed to find somewhere that sold it but couldn't find the distillery would have been nice to have had a comparison,still mabye next time.
I have tried most of the other brands you all mention,they all have merits I'm parsial to a drop of Jameson as well CHEERS

Date: November 18, 2006 00:26

Jameson, eh? I know Cindyc's been knocking that back like nobody's business....lord knows what bastard hooked her on that.....

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 18, 2006 00:26

I tried RY when I was much younger, and I didn't think it was half-bad. However, I liked Dewars Scotch better. (Who remembers the "Dewars Profiles" ads from Playboy?)

Even at that, I only drink liqour on New Year's Eve, and my current preference is for Stoli vodka.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: November 18, 2006 00:30

Bourbon IS definitely whiskey. As is Scotch.

I also tried for years to drink and appreciate Scotch. Some are obviously better (different?) than others. I invariably wander back to Bourbon which, by law, must be aged in charred oak barrels which is a huge part of the distinctive flavor of Bourbon. We could talk about Scotch all week but the topic today is Bourbon.

As with any food or drink it all comes down to personal preference. Here in the States Jack Daniels is the most popular brand probably due to marketing and distribution. I find it to be OK. To me it's not really "sipping" whiskey unless it's all you've got. It's more of a "mixing" whiskey which will conceal the flaws of a less than excellent Bourbon.

The best generally available Bourbons are Wild Turkey and Makers Mark. Both are fantastic sipping whiskey and will hold their own against ANY Scotch imho. For a super special treat I recommend Wild Turkey Rare Breed. That is some of the finest tasting, smoothest, powerful booze that will ever cross your lips. If Jesus drank Bourbon I'm sure he would drink Rare Breed.

For value and excellence I recommend Weller and Rebel Yell. Both are excellent Bourbons and are very reasonably priced. I actually switched from Weller to Rebel Yell a couple of years ago for my everyday sippin. If you don't like Rebel Yell then you probably shouldn't even be drinking Bourbon.

I only drink Jack Daniels if nothing better is available. I use Jim Beam as a cleaning solvent and I give Southern Comfort to my children and pets as a cough medicine.

(P.S. - The best way to drink Bourbon is "on the rocks", about 1 part whiskey and 2 parts water. Commonly called Bourbon and Water. Perfect!)

Posted by: TombstoneShadow ()
Date: November 18, 2006 00:48

George Dickel is a great bourbon too.

Makers has a sweetish taste to it. Fine stuff.

Jack Daniels is a "drier" tasting bourbon. For someone not accustomed to bourbon I wouldn't start with it, but you might find yourself developing a taste for it.

Wild Turkey is excellent, all their offerings. The 101 is benchmark stuff and quite potent.

If you want an inexpensive bourbon with a good taste, try Early Times. I've done taste-testings with it against others and it holds up well. Around 10-12 bucks for a 750 ml.

The best bourbons used to be the "bottled in bonds" back in the 70s and 80s because they had the date stamps on them, you could pick out the ones that were 10 years in the barrel. They don't date them like that anymore, unfortunately.

There are alot of good "small batch" bourbons, but you're looking at alot steeper pricing.

I was at an extensive "high end" scotch & irish tasting awhile back... all these 25 years and older scotches from every region...

Walking away the whisky I liked the best from that tasting was an aged Bushmills... "Bushmills black" I think it was... just great straight!

Never tried Rebel Yell.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: November 18, 2006 00:55

I'll try Dickel if you try Rebel Yell.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:00

TombstoneShadow, you mentioned Bushmills -- if I recall my Ian Fleming correctly, I think that was 007's favorite.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:02

I used to drink Rebell Yell just because of Keith. It's okay, definitely not drap, but JD and MM are far superior.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:13

Jack Daniel's is *not* bourbon, it's sour-mash whiskey.

Date: November 18, 2006 01:17

Duane in Houston Wrote:
> Bourbon IS definitely whiskey. >
>

by the very definition (and the Scots own the definition) of the word - it is most definitely and undeniably NOT. Wish I could relax the rules for ya, but I cannot.

Date: November 18, 2006 01:21

TombstoneShadow Wrote:
>> Walking away the whisky I liked the best from that
> tasting was an aged Bushmills... "Bushmills black"
> I think it was... just great straight!
>
>

I think you're talking about Black Bush, which is not aged any more than "regular" Bushmills. BB has a sweeter finish, owing to the fact that it's aged in sherry casks, as opposed to bourbon ones, used for most Irish and (Scotch) whisky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-18 01:22 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:26

Bourbon is not "whisky" but it is "whiskey".

Date: November 18, 2006 01:34

i give up..... :-(

Date: November 18, 2006 02:09

drink up ^^

Date: November 18, 2006 12:37

have a drink! :-)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home