Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Oakland Tonight
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 7, 2006 12:03

Nice to read yer words, Chelskeith!! Thank ya!
Reinvent at 60-65.. ? Devils knows...

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 7, 2006 12:09

ryanpow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rooster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does the Cow Palace still exist? they played
> there
> > in 75.
>
>
> yep. still there. I remember Eminem playe there.
> and I think they have a dog show there.

Thats something! I have a bootleg from that show(white lp).Thanks for the info.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 7, 2006 12:13

What a cool story Chels!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 7, 2006 17:54

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 01:10 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 7, 2006 18:04

Great reviews. Thanks.

Date: November 7, 2006 18:16

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 01:10 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 7, 2006 18:58

Beelyboy - did you go to the show?

Date: November 7, 2006 19:05

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 01:09 by Beelyboy.

Date: November 7, 2006 19:11

yeah, that was pretty nice of him.

have you seen any shows on this tour yet?

Date: November 7, 2006 19:21

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 01:09 by Beelyboy.

Date: November 7, 2006 19:22

Oh, that's too bad, you deserve to see them!

I hope you can work something out before the tour is finished. Video is good, but it's not the same.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 7, 2006 19:33

Guitars were loud and great. She Was Hot was great. Streets of Love was actually good because Mick really put himself into it and they did a bit of improv towards the end. Midnight Rambleer was the best I've seen--rockin'. Connection sounded off--Keith seemed to be playing and singing to different time than the band. You Got The Silver was very cool but I think it would have been better with Keith's additional guitar.

Only one song from ABB--they should change the name of the tour.

During You Got The Silver some dude behind me goes "they're playing half of Let It Bleed tonight!" that guy must have his albums mixed up--Silver & Rambler are half of Let it Bleed?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-07 19:39 by Chas.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: November 7, 2006 19:58

The Stones delivered the goods with no sign of recent problems impacting them.
Mick's voice was very slightly ragged at the end but he seems to have recovered and was every bit the frontman extraordinaire. The guitars were way up in the mix. Maybe this was to help cover Mick a little. I think he was holding back a little at the beginning until SOL when he cut it loose. The sound at Oakland was not the best. I think the acoustics of that concrete bowl make sound somewhat muddled. But they were going with the raunchy guitar sound so it worked out o.k. Ron and Keith were in top form with trading leads, weaving and riffing and leading the band.
The set list was war horse heavy but no complaints from me with She Was Hot, Dead Flowers, Bitch, and Under My Thumb and Just My Imagination at the B stage, and Connection from Keith being totally satisfactory in providing something different.
Keith was off-key on the first part of You Got the Silver, and Connection was a guitar heavy arrangement that seemed kind of jumbled up to me. I was surprised at this arrangement so may appeciate it more on another listen. SOL was the only ABB and it was a good as everyone as said. I have been a critic of this one but they definitely took it too another level live (ala Saint of Me etc)
Among the horses, I always like when JJF is the opener. Gets them warmed up and I like the tighter version. Hot extended version of Rambler. Typical five extended version war horses to close. But each one was superb.
I went with my 17yr old daughter for her first Stones show. She has plenty of Stones on her IPOD. Our karma was good as we got down to the side of the B stage to see Van and never had to move. The three guys between us and the B stage went to get drinks during Keith's set, so we were on the rail for the B set. UMT, JMI (probably the highlight of the evening for me, this is always hot live), SMU and HTW from point blank range. WOW!! I have been upfront before but very happy for my daughter to experience. She got lots of pictures. I will post some later.
No signs of any empty seats to me. The scalpers I passed did not seem to have lots of tickets to sell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-07 20:02 by livewithme.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 7, 2006 20:04

livewithme Wrote:
> The Stones delivered the goods with no sign of
> recent problems impacting them......
> No signs of any empty seats to me.

Waiting on your pics !!!!

Date: November 7, 2006 20:15

Van was cool too. Played over an hour. Great band. He played the hits but not just like the records. Hard to concentrate on the opener unless you are in the very front with everyone moving around and the Stones not letting him have the big screen (no surprise there but not very classy).
He had the coolest exit I have ever seen (no sarcasm at all). About half way through an extended version of Gloria he just wandered off stage wailing on the harmonica and let the band finish.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 7, 2006 21:28

one thing I forgot about that was hilarious was before imagination when Mick "Flashed" the audience by lifiting up his shirt.

My Review of the Oakland Show.....
Posted by: chrisking ()
Date: November 7, 2006 19:33

Okay, this is my 7th stones show since 1997. My first show was in oakland at the same venue when i was like in 7th grade. i was first row in front of the b-stage. Only reason i went this time was to be that close to my favorite band. I didn't know what to expect from a band that has been taking some heat lately. But like always the rolling stones in the bay area always bring their A game. What an awesome show last night. Mick was hot, hot and more hot. Keith was having fun all night. Ronnie was so focused last night i was blown away. Of course Charlie.........Enough said! To hear Connection, Dead Flowers, under my thumb, Bitch i mean THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last night was a great night, i dont know about San Jose's paper review that Van was better than the stones. Van was good but he wasn't better than the stones. He could have been if he wore that purple suit from the LAST WALTZ haha. anyways thank you guys, if this is the last time i was glad it was at the same place i saw u for my first concert.

Re: My Review of the Oakland Show.....
Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 7, 2006 19:37

Van Morrison was putting me to sleep except for when he was playing harp and Gloria. His voice sounds good but those songs were boring.

Some notes about the Oakland show.
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:16

Sat in the lowers - 10 rows off of floor - near the KR-side ramp. Right side speaker column was facing me.

It was the BEST SOUNDING Stones show I have EVER been to. It was my 33rd overall. I was amazed at the sound. Guitars were both up front and in your face. Don't know if it was just the sweet spot or what, but even though I considered moving to another locale for the b-stage performance (had two tix in hand) - I decided against because it sounded so ridiculously good where I was.

Performance was mostly solid, with a few glitches that some have already mentioned. Keith just let Connection fall apart midway through. He looked completely befuddled and unsure of what to do with his guitar once the song got to the point where he was supposed to play and the song turned instantly into a train wreck.

On the plus side - KR's playing on Bitch was about as impressive as I've heard from him the entire tour. He had several guitar breaks that were fabulous.

Midnight Rambler seemed particularly drawn out last night. Always a good thing.

Woody is holding the fort down now on a consistent basis. He's focused and has both hands on the axe the entire show. It allows for KR to pick his spots judiciously without detracting from the overall guitar backbone of the sound. His chops aren't always stellar - and, no we aren't witnessing the reincarnation of '75-era Woody - Dead Flowers solo was spotty at best last night - but the effort is there on EVERY SONG. Kudos to the Woodman. This time last year in SF I had totally given up on him ever being a valuable contributor to this band. Well, he's made a new believer out of me.

YGTS was nice - didn't hear any out of tuneness by KR as mentioned by another reviewer. Probably the best version of this song that I've heard yet, too. Not as theatrical of a performance by Keith as at Beacon (this might have been more "stadiumrical"?)...

SOL? Well it's still a dog of a song - but the live extended version gives Woody some nice space to toss some nice lines into. that part is pretty cool. just wish we didnt' have to suffer through the first 3-4 minutes of drivel to get there.

Imagination was nice to hear on the b-stage, sans horns. Doesn't hold a candle to the 78/81 versions, but it came across well.

I left halfway through BS to beat the rush. BS was not working for me anyway, and I knew I could still be satisifed with no satisfaction.

Overall - a pretty good performance mightily enhanced by incredible sound at this venerable stadium, the 11th time I've seen them there and one of the more memorable shows. If that's the last time I see the Stones, it will have been a worthy send-off.

And for those of you actually wondering whether I was going to go to this show - HA! My favorite band playing in my back yard - ARE U KIDDING ME? Had some of ya worried, though, didn't I? HA!

Re: Some notes about the Oakland show.
Date: November 7, 2006 22:19

StonesTod Wrote:
>
> And for those of you actually wondering whether I
> was going to go to this show - HA! My favorite
> band playing in my back yard - ARE U KIDDING ME?

you're the man, tod.

you can't catch me!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:23

I'm sure this was a terrific show. You're not known to give good critics for nuthin', StonesTod.
But it won't be your last. THere's the European tour next year...

Posted by: PedroThePimp ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:24

Can't believe ya left early.

It still put tears in my eyes when the BIG four..Mick, Keef, Charlie and Ronnie
let the rest of the band leave and the say the final goodbye.

Cause ya never no.

That could be the last time ya see em together.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:26

PedroThePimp Wrote:
> Can't believe ya left early.
>
> It still put tears in my eyes when the BIG
> four..Mick, Keef, Charlie and Ronnie
> let the rest of the band leave and the say the
> final goodbye.
>
>
> Cause ya never no.
>
> That could be the last time ya see em together.

i prefer to not weep at rock'n'roll events. just not the sentimental type, I guess. watch the bow ritual for the umpteenth time or get home an hour earlier on a work night? hmmm...no brainer.

Posted by: partydoll Meg ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:26

I had no doubt you would be there, Buddy!!

Thanks for the review. Nice effort on your part. You can do it you know!!

P.S. I gots to know if you had "freebies" or not.winking smiley

Date: November 7, 2006 22:28

did you buy from a scalper? If so, please give details. thx!

Posted by: PedroThePimp ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:38

Hell I have had to drive 4 hours after a Stones show and still made it to work on time.

And I never thought once about leaving early.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:51

BS got into a really good groove at the end. mick kept saying "what does Oakland say...."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-07 22:52 by ryanpow.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 7, 2006 22:52

What happened to "Connection," anyways? I was completely mystified. Plus, there was a point in the B-stage set (perhaps "Imagination) where Keith was not playing at all, and walked over to talk to Ronnie. Keith blew some other bits, too, especially with a weak "Brown Sugar" intro. But, on the other hand, he played just great in other parts. Ronnie has never impressed me as a lead guitar soloist, and continues not to do so. But he did a superb job backing Keith on slide during "You Got the Silver." Keith sounded better than I've heard him in the 10+ years I've gone to the shows. I suspect he's had a few voice lessons. He's never had a great voice, but he's projecting and phrasing much better, and it sounds more polished. His set was actually the high point for me, other than the lousy ending of "Connection."

I enjoyed the setlist, but the Stones drag out too many of their songs. Just play 'em and be done. No point in dragging out 3 minute songs to six or seven. But they've been doing it that way for years, so I don't suspect they'll change. Chuck's Holiday Inn lounge organ during "Under My Thumb" ruined a good song, too. I wonder what the Stones would sound like without Chuck, both as keyboardist and semi-musical director. I guess it's too late to change now.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 7, 2006 23:05

I won . I had Tod going at 3-1 odds!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 7, 2006 23:06

Couldn't agree more regarding Chuck.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home