Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sold out or not sold out?? important???
Date: October 25, 2006 00:22

I follow this board for a long time - most of all reading - but tonite I feel like posting - and what made me really curious to know all the time is:

Why do people always want to know if the stadium the Stones play was full or how many empty seats there were. Sorry - but I could never follow this idea - do you feel ashamed if the stadium is not totally sold out or what? I really would like to know......for me it´s only important if people had a really great time with the Stones....

Re: Sold out or not sold out?? important???
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 25, 2006 00:24

it's an immature "status" thing with a lot of people, frankly. I agree with you. One other point that it underscores is that ticket prices are too high, but that's another subject altogether.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 25, 2006 00:28

yeah, its annoying that all these people are getting better deals when you bought before the price went down. thats the only thin g I dont like about it.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 25, 2006 00:36

As a fan since I was eight and someone who was harassed by his classmates for liking the Stones in the mid-70s, I feel a certain vindication when they sell out and are The ticket 30-some years later. That said, in no way do empty seats spil my appreciation of a show, Chicago two weeks ago a case in point.

(Also, its not about quantity. The best time I ever had involved only two!)

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 25, 2006 00:37

gawd!..........i would hope to be the only person in the stadium.......center stage front

Date: October 25, 2006 00:54

inopeng Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .. and someone who was
> harassed by his classmates for liking the Stones
> in the mid-70s,

same with me -I remember not to be that popular to like the Stones within my classmates- but may be that´s why today I don´t give a shit if stadiums are full or not as long as the Stones did a brilliant performance and I more than enjoyed it......

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 25, 2006 01:02

Doesn't matter to me if the stadium is full or not. If I'm going to a stadium show I need to be on the field level. it's becoming tougher to justify a $90 ticket to sit/stand hundreds of yards away. Obviously there's a prestige thing for the band to be one of the few acts that can still fill a stadium.

The true test of a band's superstardom would be filling stadiums in the days before the GIANT VIDEO SCREENS AND INFLATABLES AND LIGHT SHOWS AND FIREWORKS etc...
Obviously the Stones succeeded at this in the 1970s & 80s.....and took advantage of the technology in '89 (Steel Wheels tour). Did they have video screens on the '81 tour? I know they had fireworks etc... for '81. Were all of the '75-'78 stadium shows DAYTIME shows? Just wondering. (sorry for rambling)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 25, 2006 01:28

It's all about filling stadiums, one seat empty is one too many, we are talking about dollars you know.

No your are right, everytime I go to a concert I hope I'm the only one sitting in the middle of the field, but then there are those crazy peolple sitting around me yelling and stand in front of me.

But then again "SOLD OUT" is a magical word for them .............

Date: October 25, 2006 01:57

Yeah - good post - but what I mean is everytime I read on the board about a show the stones are doing the most important question seems to be the stetlist and if the stadium was sold out.....how come that??

the most important question should be: how did you feel - how was the energy - and how did you think the band enjoyed it......

Posted by: MicknSteven ()
Date: October 25, 2006 01:58

Well it all depends, I am a Stones Fan and I want them to do well, to sell lots of tickets...However I am also in the Music Biz and Hate to see the stones not do well, which in our world means not making lots of money. Now as a fan i want to see the place packed!

Date: October 25, 2006 02:07

Well - it´s the way it is - it´s just our competitive society - not the way I like it - it´s just not rock´n roll the way it used to be

Posted by: musicsmyteefine ()
Date: October 25, 2006 08:22

MicknSteven Wrote:
> Well it all depends, I am a Stones Fan and I want
> them to do well, to sell lots of tickets...However
> I am also in the Music Biz and Hate to see the
> stones not do well, which in our world means not
> making lots of money. Now as a fan i want to see
> the place packed!

Trust me....the boys are doing well re:$$$ and "making lots of money"!! They would have better doing arenas in the oft visited towns this time out....Speaking of which - 3 more days until AC!!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 25, 2006 09:45

The recent Giants Stadium* show was not sold out... and it worked to my advantage.

Living nearby and also having seen the Stones several times before at better venues, I had decided beforehand (like the guy in the muffler commercial), "I'm not gonna pay a lot for this ticket." When a scalper first offered a floor seat for less than face, just $300, I declined. When he offered me a high, distant seat for just $50, I offered him $20, which he eventually took, relunctantly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-25 10:07 by schillid.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 25, 2006 10:46

It is a macho thing. Everything must be big, best, leading and dominating. Like vikings, if they get a crate of beer they have to drink it all.

The Stones played Rio in front of 1.5 million people. Not full city. Could have been 3 million. They played Sarsstock Toronto. Not full. Only 450.000. Could have been 500.000. Such a waste. They play Olympiastadion Bercelona and only 60,000 buy tickets but it can take 100,000. Tragic.

It is not interesting if the stadium is 75% or 90% full. What is interesting is if the band is in great shape and if the crowd enjoy the show.

The Stones are one of the very few groups in the world that can fill any venue size 50,000 and up. They could sell tickets at half price in larger venues but that is a totally different story. If ticket price is 5 million dollars divided by capacity then a 50,000 venue would have ticket price 100 dollars and 100,000 venue half price and Beacon ticket price 1500 dollars. They did this sort of with Horsens and Bergen.

Bjornulf

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 25, 2006 10:48

ThroughTheLonelyNights Wrote:
> for me it´s only important if people had
> a really great time with the Stones....

I'm with ya'.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 25, 2006 17:40

Even more folks would whine,
if every show was sold out and you wouldn't be able to get tickets in the first place.
It's happening with Beacon right now^^

I'm happy to get into a Stones Concert, not standing outside.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 25, 2006 17:43

BTW if every show is sold out it would be sad for those who can't go

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1752
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home