Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
"Brush With Greatness"
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 24, 2006 07:54

Thistrains great story about meeting the Stones reminded me of the old Letterman skit "Brush With Greatness", where audience members would get up and tell stories about how they ended up meeting famous people. I'm sure most of us have met some kind of celebrity during our lifetime.

I never met anyone super famous but did get the autograph of ex-Giant quarterback/superbowl mvp Phil Simms when I spotted him at the Newark airport circa 1990.

Have any of you met the Stones face to face or any other famous musicians/actors/athletes etc.?
What is your "Brush With Greatness"?

Re: "Brush With Greatness"
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2006 13:31

Touched Bono on the leg at a U2 concert.

Date: October 24, 2006 13:40

Met Ronnie in a pub in Richmond

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 24, 2006 13:55

Also met Ronnie - at the Half Moon pub in Putney, London

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:03

I've met a few major 'celebs' (including Charlie and Mick T), but my main brush with greatness was with "The Greatest" himself...

Met and got photographed with Muhammad Ali, the one person since I've been a kid that I'd always wanted to meet above anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-24 14:17 by Gazza.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:07

Mainly footballers, that many of you wouldn't know, or care about.

Did date an aspiring actress for approx 6 months, who at the time was a student, who was only known for having a famous, dead, actor father.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:08

I've met Keith, Ronnie, Charlie, Mick Taylor....and James Brown.

Date: October 24, 2006 14:09

Adrian-L Wrote:
> Did date an aspiring actress for approx 6
> months, who at the time was a student, who was
> only known for having a famous, dead, actor
> father.

Name and shame!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:10

Nothing much to brag about in my case

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-24 14:46 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 24, 2006 14:13

Or maybe it's not the same as meeting M. Ali...

Posted by: dj ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:17

I stood next to (but didn't meet) several members of the E Street Band, including Bruce, at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ. This was in June 1984, and that night the band performed the entire Born in the USA album just before embarking on the BIUSA tour. A special night indeed. In Bruce circles, 10,000 people claim to have been there, but the joint only holds 500 or so.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:17

I once offered to buy Gene Simmons a cup of coffee at the airport. I think he took offense...seriously!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:18

Gazza Wrote:
------------------
> Name and shame!!

Lenny Godber's youngest daughter.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:20

Many domestic stars as I was a local rock promotor already in 1981-82.
On the international scene: Bill last year... And as I
already have told some times here on the board I bumped into
Alice Cooper right outside a grocery store in the midst
of out little tiny town.

I have also been shaking hand with a man who once shook JFK:s hand.
The middle-hand's hands belonged to a man from Waterford, Ireland
who worked for the National Telecom company back in the 60s.

And I know Rockman!

Date: October 24, 2006 14:23

Alice Cooper in Sweden?
I've bumped into Mikhail Gorbatchef and Roger Plant in this tiny town, so I strange things happen..

Posted by: YPatrick ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:25

I met all of the Rolling Stones several times when they were recording the 40 Licks extra tracks in Paris, photos taken, autographs signed, great time
Plus I met Bruce Springsteen before his last year´s concert in Frankfurt, I handed him a CD of my band with a little personal note which he seemed to appreciate since he took some time to talk with me whilst the autograph-hunters were almost killing me fearing he´d drive off directly afterwards, which he didn´t, of course...
Great memories!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 24, 2006 14:31

Forgot... Speaking of boxers... When I was a little kid
we had the ol-heavy weight champion Floyd Patterson in town,
introducing his new burger kitchen-concept: "Floyd's"...
Didnt actually meet him, but man that was a treat to see a real black man!
That was in 1974 or 75.

Date: October 24, 2006 14:41

Adrian-L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza Wrote:
> ------------------
> > Name and shame!!
>
> Lenny Godber's youngest daughter.

Ya know what..when I read your original post, thats who came to my mind. Although it was actually Samantha I thought of and not Kate, as I forgot youre a bit younger than me...LOL

Very nice.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 24, 2006 15:57

Met Keith, Ron and Mick....Jammed with Roy Buchannon, Badfinger...others, Bill Clinton, Ernie Banks, Pistol Pete Maravich, Oscar Robertson, Peter Wolfe, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Danny Gatton, Mick Taylor, and others.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 24, 2006 16:32

I auditioned for the Muppets last year - got to use a real Fozzie Bear puppet.

Posted by: neilly43 ()
Date: October 24, 2006 16:44

Gazza, I know you have most probably told the story but I missed it so as I respect your opinion what did you think of Mick T and Charlie?
I think this is a great thread and I am interested inthe stories behind the meetings. Anyone share a beer with any of the Stones? For my part I met Ron Wood at Wimbledon and had a little chat asking him when the next album was due and then had my photo taken. I was made up for the next few days but could not help but wish it was Mick, Keef or Charlie. Greedy eh!

Date: October 24, 2006 17:16

Charlie was blind drunk, could barely stand (when he turned round to return a pen to the guy who had loaned it to him to sign autographs he lost his balance and we had to stop him from falling over) and generally looked so frail that you wondered how he could possibly be still alive by Christmas (this took place in Amsterdam in '95 when we were there for the Rotterdam shows at the end of the tour). Yet one night later at Feyenoord Stadium he was playing like a man possessed. GR was with me at the time - he could probably give you his own account of it.

Taylor I met when he played Belfast with Mayall two years ago. Stayed behind afterwards and signed autographs, posed for photos and was generally reasonably affable without being OVER friendly. Mayall, on the other hand, is worth a book on his own. Of all the musicians I've ever met, undoubtedly the weirdest of the lot. Complete oddball.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 24, 2006 17:19

When I was 15, I was introduced to Walt Disney. He and his wife were dining in a dimly lit, quiet corner of a restaurant in Disneyland.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 24, 2006 17:21

I want to hear about the Muppets!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-24 21:37 by CindyC.

Posted by: neilly43 ()
Date: October 24, 2006 17:22

Gazza you can't leave it like that with the John Mayall oddball comment. Please tell all....!

Date: October 24, 2006 17:25

Baboon Bro Wrote:
>>
> I have also been shaking hand with a man who once
> shook JFK:s hand.
> The middle-hand's hands belonged to a man from
> Waterford, Ireland
> who worked for the National Telecom company back
> in the 60s.
>

that 'fame by association' story reminds me of a story Tony Curtis told in an interview a couple of years ago. Curtis is probably a guy who's seen and done everything but he was a bit taken aback when he was in a public toilet in a restaurant a few years ago and was recognised by the guy standing taking a piss next to him, who looked down at his 'instrument' and then asked 'is it true that THAT was inside Marilyn Monroe? '

A somewhat bemused Curtis replied that it was indeed true and the impressed and somewhat obsessed fan then asked "would it be OK if I kissed it?"

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 24, 2006 17:28

Gazza Wrote:
> I've met a few major 'celebs' (including Charlie
> and Mick T), but my main brush with greatness was
> with "The Greatest" himself...
>
> Met and got photographed with Muhammad Ali, the
> one person since I've been a kid that I'd always
> wanted to meet above anyone else.

Thats fantastic!!!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 24, 2006 17:30

As it's common to associate celebrity with greatness, here goes a fairly varied list: Ron Wood, Helmut Schmidt, Ernie Banks, Willie Dixon, Alexander Haig, Peter Wolf, Jesse Jackson, Charlie Watts, Richard Nixon, Jackie Mason, Margaret Thatcher, Muddy Waters, Dick Cheney, Buddy Guy, Paul Simon (the late senator), Arnold Schwarzenegger, Paul Harvey...Sheryl Crow keeps asking for a meeting but I don't know...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 24, 2006 17:32

I have chased Charlie's car down Kurfürstendamm in Berlin in 1998.
I have shouted at Bob Dylan to give me an autograph.

That's the closest for me.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: October 24, 2006 17:35

Literally bumped into Ronnie at Cheltenham races maybe 6/7 years ago, windchill of minus God-knows what and he was heading back to his box (directly above the royal box and a better view I should think) as I was going up into the stand. I was too keen to get a decent view for the Champion Chase to try to hold him up - as he was too no doubt.

Other than that I can only think of assorted horseracing names, which I don't think is what counts on here winking smiley. So I'll just bask in the reflected glory of occasionally posting on this message board with all you famous people

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home