Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
1968: NME and David Frost show
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 16, 2006 18:47

Has anybody seen these two concerts? Impossible to find them...

Re: 1968: NME and David Frost show
Posted by: terry ()
Date: October 16, 2006 19:08

I can rememeber seeing the stones on the david frost show..what i can remember of it the stones was doing sympathy for the devil, and jagger kneeling down with the mike stuck between his legs, very suggestive, lol my gran blew a fuse.I love to have a copy of this.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2006 19:18

a clip of the Frost show (SFTD) appears in the 'Let it Bleed' documentary. Thats all I've ever known of it to have circulated. It looks absolutely fantastic

The Stones 2-song performance (JJF/Satisfaction) at the NME show in '68 wasnt televised (nor was the performance by both the Stones and the Beatles at the 1966 show). A brief clip of it was shown on the regional ITV (Southern) "Time for Blackburn" show soon afterwards however. Never seen it, myself.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 16, 2006 19:24

I wonder where the people behind Let It Bleed got that clip? Where's the vault?

Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: October 16, 2006 19:30

Been looking for the clip for years. Even wrote to Tony Blackburn **no reply**
The NME songs were the last time for Brian on a real stage, not knocking RR Circus. but that was a tv thing.
It should be put out there someone knows where it is, but like all the gold stuff collectors keep it hidden .Its really up to the Stones to get there act toghether and give the fans what they want. But Im not sure if anyone in the camp now Bill has left really cares about the Brian era.-

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: October 16, 2006 19:44

The 68 Pollwinners concert is, to my knowledge, not in any collector's hands being 'hidden.' It is not in an 'accessible' location currently.

As for the David Frost SFTD clip, that is very limited collector's circles due to it's rarity. It is a fantastic performance that has rarely, if ever, seen the light of day.

The only place I have seen it available is in very quick clips used in one of the recent SFTD remix videos.

I have not seen the LIB documentary, but your best attempt at tracking the clip down would be to check the credits at the end of the film and see who provided it.

There are two other David Frost appearances. One is the YCAGWYW performance which is in common circulation. The other is a performance of HTW which has never seen the light of day since its broadcast. There is, however, an audio version of it in circulation, I beleive, on the Summer Reruns bootleg vinyl.

I am fairly certain the HTW (different from the TOTP one in circulation) is not even in collector's hands at any level.

J

Date: October 16, 2006 21:46

Ive seen bits of the Frost show on that remix video and I would love to see the whole thing. Same with outtakes from R&R circus and the NME concert. I dont get it, it should exist somewhere.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 16, 2006 22:19

James Karnbach has always claimed he has the 68 NME pro-shot video.

Mathijs

Date: October 16, 2006 22:43

Who is he?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 16, 2006 22:48

LA FORUM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who is he?

James Karnbach, co-author of "It's Only Rock 'n Roll: The Ultimate Guide To The Rolling Stones"

[www.amazon.ca]

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: October 16, 2006 23:29

i read that brian plays piano on SFTD,,on david frost show,,

i guess it was playback or singback,,?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 17, 2006 01:29

NME Poll Winners Concert 12 May 1968 - Daily Mirror Archives

Rehearsals for Frost On Saturday - 29 November 1968....Daily Mirror Archives

David Frost...Mick Jagger....Mrs Mary Whitehouse...Frost On Saturday - 12 October 1968

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 17, 2006 01:53

Nice pics Rockman, thanks..........

Date: October 17, 2006 01:57

Yo NICO....pleasure

ROCKMAN

Date: October 17, 2006 02:19

Thanks from up here too, Rockman. There's 3 new pictures for me there.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 17, 2006 02:31

Leave it to the Rockman to illustrate the current discyssion with choice eyecandy. The Pollwinners concert has alwasy intrigued me too becasue Jagger looks so on fire in the pics. In the groupshot where he is holding the "Cup" he looks baked! LOL

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 17, 2006 06:32

what kind of amps are they using in the '68 NME concert? Big voxes?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 17, 2006 06:34

Great pics Rockman. Thanks.

Date: October 17, 2006 06:51

pleasure george.......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: October 17, 2006 07:13

.... your supposed to be in the cage..........

Date: October 17, 2006 07:14

They wont let me in....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 17, 2006 09:14

was the Frost show the one where Jagger was supposedly very high on Valium? This is most probably totally true because Jagger and Marianne have both told the story very detailed. I think it happened right after the prison sentence. When the "Butterfly" article came out and Jagger was released; he was shaken up and zonked himself out with Valium. Somewhere in there he went on a talkshow with some straight folk and sat there in a warm fuzz, no pain.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 17, 2006 09:55

There is definitely a pro-shot film of the NME Pollwinner's concert. If I am not totally wrong a short clip of 'Jumpin' jack flash' was shown during a quiz show 'Der grosse Preis' on German TV ZDF in July 1980.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 17, 2006 12:00

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> was the Frost show the one where Jagger was
> supposedly very high on Valium? This is most
> probably totally true because Jagger and Marianne
> have both told the story very detailed. I think it
> happened right after the prison sentence. When the
> "Butterfly" article came out and Jagger was
> released; he was shaken up and zonked himself out
> with Valium. Somewhere in there he went on a
> talkshow with some straight folk and sat there in
> a warm fuzz, no pain.

No..that was a year earlier when he appeared on World In Action a few hours after being released from prison

Date: October 17, 2006 18:17

SALTOFTHEEARTH you may be right - I have a very brief clip in very poor quality of the band performing live -- outfits and guitars are the same as 68 Pollwinners.

The clip is inbetween two other pieces that are dubbed together. In typical bootleg video fashion, the first piece ends into static, the live clips 'fades' in as the picture settles and then the second piece begins, cutting the live clip off.

Mathijs: Karnbach does not have the 68 Pollwinners footage in his posession, although he may have a very good idea where it is actually located.

J

Date: October 17, 2006 18:35

Cool. Possible to share it on youtube?

Date: October 17, 2006 18:37

If you are refering to the clip I mentioned, it would be uesless, it's the kind of thing you need to watch on ultra-slowmotion on a VCR in order to really see.

If someone has the clip from the QUIZ show BRING IT ON!

J

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 17, 2006 18:40

I don't see why the tape would exist if it hasn't been circulated yet. When is it going to get more valuable?

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: October 17, 2006 19:12

Both these clips are amongst "the holy grail" items for Stones collectors. I'd add the London Palladium 1967 performance broadcast live a week or so after their Ed Sullivan appearance.Whether or not this has been saved I'd like to know also add the Marquee rehearsal Dec '68 for "Rock n Roll Circus" from a live test transmission (this according to one collector who apparently has a copy), I'd also add the alternate edit of "Gimme Shelter" which includes "Midnight Rambler" a copy of which was stolen in the early seventies and has yet to surface.

James Karnbach is a collector who the Stones eventually utilised as their ultimate archivist and helped greatly with the compiling of "25 X 5". His collection I can only assume is awesome, a friend and fellow collector did stop over with him many years ago (in the age of video) but even then his collection was something else.

This whole schtick with collectors not releasing material to fellow collectors always makes me think that no matter what the pursuit, people love hierachys. I can think of several serious collectors, myself included who have traded seriously rare items and now see those self same pristine videos of the band in their prime appearing on factory produced bootlegs with price tags attached.

My philosophy is always along the lines of; if it spreads the word and brings people a deal of pleasure then so be it. I know of several collectors who have gone to great lengths to circulate top quality material stuff like Knebworth '76, the Mintreaux Rehearsals '72, the pristine clips from the Marquee '71, the equally pristine alternate edit of "Charlie is my Darling", the list is long.

If they'd used the argument we're not going to release this material cos it's rare and deserves to remain so, i.e. the greater number of Stones collectors don't deserve to see it cos they can't be trusted with it, then all Stones collectors would be a lot worse of.

But if it gives people a small lift to sit on this stuff until they've all shuffled off their mortal coils and gone to Stones heaven wherein presumably you can beam yourself to any Stones gig you care to see, or ponder the TV guide from 1963 to watch them perform "Come On" on Thank Your Lucky Stars", whilst back on earth their kids bung dads meaningless DVDs into black bin liners then so be it.

Just seems a bit stupid to me.

P.S. Many thanks to Rockman for those fabulous pix, all three of the NME Pollwinners show from '68 are new to me - great stuff indeed!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-17 19:18 by mikey.

Date: October 17, 2006 19:20

Good post there, mikey, In 50 years from now, most of us will be dead, and there won't be many people interested in Rolling Stones, at least not to the extant that we are.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2191
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home