Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

(OT) Chuck Berry: Maybellene
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 5, 2018 22:10

There's a YouTube channel that features U.S. top pop hits according to Billboard magazine by year.

If you have the time (53:18), take in these 20 top hits of 1955: [www.youtube.com]

Or, if you have 22 minutes, have a listen to the first 9 tracks -- at number 9, something jumps out at you, an explosive distorted guitar propelled by a raw and driving rhythm section: Maybellene by Chuck Berry (#5 US; released July 1955).

We all know about Chuck Berry the legend, the rock and roll architect.

But for a fresh appreciation, listen to this song in the context of what was current in that year.

There was simply nothing else like it on the radio at the time.

Re: (OT) Chuck Berry: Maybellene
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 5, 2018 22:50

His first single too.
What a way to announce your arrival!
[www.45cat.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Is Chuck Berry ever OT?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-05 22:51 by Deltics.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 5, 2018 23:43

Chuck Berry =thumbs up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 6, 2018 00:05

The only way for Chuck Berry to be considered "OT" would be if a "Rock & Roll Bible" were to put him in the "Old Testament" rather than the "New Testament".

Now THERE's an idea for an OT thread: In the Rock & Roll Bible, who goes in the Old Testament and who goes in the New Testament?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 6, 2018 00:19

Maybellene is great song... I first heard it as a rocking cover song performed by another before I understood it was written by rock God Chuck, which only made it better.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2018 00:59

mr_dja
The only way for Chuck Berry to be considered "OT" would be if a "Rock & Roll Bible" were to put him in the "Old Testament" rather than the "New Testament".

Now THERE's an idea for an OT thread: In the Rock & Roll Bible, who goes in the Old Testament and who goes in the New Testament?

Peace,
Mr DJA

I like it!

Date: January 6, 2018 01:28

In the Rock & Roll Bible, who goes in the Old Testament and who goes in the New Testament?

Would 1962... 1961... be the BC/AD line? Or maybe 1960 to make it a round number?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2018 01:50

Leonioid
In the Rock & Roll Bible, who goes in the Old Testament and who goes in the New Testament?

Would 1962... 1961... be the BC/AD line? Or maybe 1960 to make it a round number?

Hmmm... what date to use? How about July 12,1962?

Date: January 6, 2018 02:35

SomeTorontoGirl
Leonioid

Hmmm... what date to use? How about July 12,1962?

I would go thumbs up along thumbs up with that date
STONES!!!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 6, 2018 03:02

Chuck always said Maybelline was based on " Ida Red"...I would say very loosely based on it!! I think Chuck put quite a bit more of himself in this song than say Zep did in some of theirs..

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-06 03:03 by scottkeef.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2171
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home