Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

(OT) Chuck Berry: Maybellene
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 5, 2018 22:10

There's a YouTube channel that features U.S. top pop hits according to Billboard magazine by year.

If you have the time (53:18), take in these 20 top hits of 1955: [www.youtube.com]

Or, if you have 22 minutes, have a listen to the first 9 tracks -- at number 9, something jumps out at you, an explosive distorted guitar propelled by a raw and driving rhythm section: Maybellene by Chuck Berry (#5 US; released July 1955).

We all know about Chuck Berry the legend, the rock and roll architect.

But for a fresh appreciation, listen to this song in the context of what was current in that year.

There was simply nothing else like it on the radio at the time.

Re: (OT) Chuck Berry: Maybellene
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 5, 2018 22:50

His first single too.
What a way to announce your arrival!
[www.45cat.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Is Chuck Berry ever OT?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-05 22:51 by Deltics.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 5, 2018 23:43

Chuck Berry =thumbs up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 6, 2018 00:05

The only way for Chuck Berry to be considered "OT" would be if a "Rock & Roll Bible" were to put him in the "Old Testament" rather than the "New Testament".

Now THERE's an idea for an OT thread: In the Rock & Roll Bible, who goes in the Old Testament and who goes in the New Testament?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 6, 2018 00:19

Maybellene is great song... I first heard it as a rocking cover song performed by another before I understood it was written by rock God Chuck, which only made it better.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2018 00:59

mr_dja
The only way for Chuck Berry to be considered "OT" would be if a "Rock & Roll Bible" were to put him in the "Old Testament" rather than the "New Testament".

Now THERE's an idea for an OT thread: In the Rock & Roll Bible, who goes in the Old Testament and who goes in the New Testament?

Peace,
Mr DJA

I like it!

Date: January 6, 2018 01:28

In the Rock & Roll Bible, who goes in the Old Testament and who goes in the New Testament?

Would 1962... 1961... be the BC/AD line? Or maybe 1960 to make it a round number?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2018 01:50

Leonioid
In the Rock & Roll Bible, who goes in the Old Testament and who goes in the New Testament?

Would 1962... 1961... be the BC/AD line? Or maybe 1960 to make it a round number?

Hmmm... what date to use? How about July 12,1962?

Date: January 6, 2018 02:35

SomeTorontoGirl
Leonioid

Hmmm... what date to use? How about July 12,1962?

I would go thumbs up along thumbs up with that date
STONES!!!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 6, 2018 03:02

Chuck always said Maybelline was based on " Ida Red"...I would say very loosely based on it!! I think Chuck put quite a bit more of himself in this song than say Zep did in some of theirs..

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-06 03:03 by scottkeef.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2193
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home