Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Wembley - Stones!
Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:48

Wembley is a neverending story!

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:51

paulywaul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> <<<<<<<< twickenham's a much nicer part of Greater
> London than Wembley is, >>>>>>>>>
>
> You exhibit such mastery of understatement. Out
> with it for heaven's sake, say it as it is. The
> area around Wembley Stadium is a f***ing shithole.
> A true Grimsville !!

OK, but Wembley - the tradition, the short distance back to the West End... The atmosphere. I just love seing them at Wembley.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2006 12:01

Last I heard about it, some people said that the building would be delayed until 2008. Great news. I hope the Stones are the first to play there.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 15, 2006 12:19

I hope there will be general admission in Wembley. No pitch seats. That is so stupid. Not at all R'n R. In twickenham you had the impression that everyone was sleeping on the pitch.

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: October 15, 2006 12:32

UEFA has decided that Wembley will host the Champions League final at the earliest 2010. That's a bad omen.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 15, 2006 16:33

Harm said

"I hope there will be general admission in Wembley. No pitch seats"

Amen to that. The seats are just half the problem though. I loved the days when all tickets were equal and the best places went to those who turned up at 9am !

Date: October 15, 2006 16:35

Seats meaning seats (actual chairs) on the pitch?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 15, 2006 18:54

Spud Wrote:
>
>
> I loved the days when all tickets were
> equal and the best places went to those who turned
> up at 9am !

True, but Stones audience is getting old.....They claim for VIP pass, onstage tickets.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: October 15, 2006 18:54

Yes. They have that all the time in the US, but it's so NOT rock'n'roll. But the Americans have gotten quite big and I guess they need to sit down every now and then. In Europe, it's not a big problem. Yet.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: October 15, 2006 19:59

The final obstacle to Multiplex completing Wemnbley was overcome last week when the FA (Football Association)agreed a deal for around $46 million to cover the extra costs and settle legally with Multiplex. It will be ready by March for the "validation" events which they have to do, with a relatively small attendance, in order to get their Environmental Health & Safety Certificates. Then it's full steam ahead.
Chris

Posted by: nbutton ()
Date: October 15, 2006 20:15

Just to advise - Wembley does not have a fully enclosed roof option.

As already stated the English Football Association have paid the builders additional monies to get it open for the FA Cup Final in May. (The FA have also got a provisional booking for Cardiff just in case !!! - so paid the money but no guarantees).

Still a big issue are the access facilities , roads/rail etc. which can influence the granting of a safety certificate.

Remember the construction of Wembley is well over budget, the owners will be looking to get money back so it will be EXPENSIVE and it has not been built for concerts but as a Football stadium - so poor acoustics are likely.

If they are playing the UK next summer they have better venues to choose from.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 15, 2006 21:00

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Last I heard about it, some people said that the
> building would be delayed until 2008. Great news.
> I hope the Stones are the first to play there.

Nope....whilst it was feared the legal wranglings could drag on for a couple of years between Multiplex and the owners, the stadium is 95% finished.

Just been announced on the news that its pretty much certain it'll be opened officially at the FA Cup final in May

The greatest and most expensive stadium in the world will be a fitting venue for the greatest and most expensive band in the world!

Date: October 15, 2006 21:08

Gazza Wrote:
> Nope....whilst it was feared the legal wranglings
> could drag on for a couple of years between
> Multiplex and the owners, the stadium is 95%
> finished.
>
> Just been announced on the news that its pretty
> much certain it'll be opened officially at the FA
> Cup final in May
>
> The greatest and most expensive stadium in the
> world will be a fitting venue for the greatest and
> most expensive band in the world!

Yeah. And the best. Let's not forget. :-)

BTW: That video with Blind Faith on the RO header. Is that from the "Stones In The Park" new DVD?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 15, 2006 21:30

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
>>
>
> Yeah. And the best. Let's not forget. :-)

well...I did say 'greatest' so I didnt 'forget' !
>
>
> BTW: That video with Blind Faith on the RO header.
> Is that from the "Stones In The Park" new DVD?

I dont know, to be honest! Voodoo is responsible for all the headers. I know that Blind Faith played Hyde Park about a month before the Stones did (in fact, I think Jagger was at it and afterwards decided the Stones should do likewise)

Date: October 15, 2006 21:57

Gazza, The reason that only the south side of the rood retracts is to let sunshine on the grass, then moves over to protect those seated from any rain etc. It is not fully closeable.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: October 15, 2006 22:37

A UK stadium with the roof shut is still useless in the winter. There is no heating and they freeze. I've been to several gigs in winter at the Mellenium stadium in cardiff and they are colder than a whitches tit! the size of the building makes them impossible to heat and the roof just means its never heats up during the day.

Date: October 16, 2006 11:33

As per earlier post in this thread, I had an extensive tour of the stadium on Saturday, and can report/confirm the following -

The ends and sides of the roof will only close far enough to cover all the spectators, not completely. The pitch will always be exposed to the elements, which is fine for a sporting event, but not necessarily for a concert set up.

There will be 3 'practice' events with a 30,000 50,000 and 70 or 80,000 audience prior to the offical opening. The stadium capacity is approx 90,000.

Multiplex have virtually finished the construction and the site will soon be handed over to 'the client' which is Wembley National Stadiums Limited. They then have to complete the interior fixtures and fittings and cosmetic touches to make the stadium ready for opening.

All the seats are in place, the turf has been laid and looks like a billiard table it is so perfect. I asked about a concert set-up and a couple of end sections of seats are designed to slide back and allow trucks in and staging to be erected. Needless to say, I could not get a straight answer regarding who would be/might be the first act to perform there....the nearest I got was a wry smile from a guy I bumped into by the water cooler in the admin offices when I mentioned the Stones. He acknowledged that they would be a very appropriate band to perform first, but could not possibly give any specifics. My feeling is that they will be at Wembley but whether they are first or not is another matter.

There is no doubt it will be one of the best stadia in the World when it is finally completed. Everything from the media centre, the Press interview room, the FA restaurant, the several general bars and restaurants and the players changing rooms to the Royal Box is a stunning mix of high design and functionality. One more thing, there are more lavatories in the stadium than any other building in the World......

Date: October 16, 2006 12:01

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> One more thing,
> there are more lavatories in the stadium than any
> other building in the World......

its obviously designed with Stones audiences in mind, then! The casual fans will have ample opportunity for their designated piss breaks when Keith sings or when Mick busts out a new song. Its ideal for a 'non warhorse' setlist!

Great report, M.O.W.A.T. - bring on the Stones!

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 16, 2006 14:39

can we smoke in wembley?

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 16, 2006 14:40

or: how many % of the roof is covered?

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: October 16, 2006 20:24

MOWAT! Thanks! I'm going over to make my inspection this Thursday and take measures etc. I've reserved a VIP box for every time the Stones play Wembley in the future... That's my furnishing-fee. I'll pass on an invitation. See you.

Date: October 16, 2006 20:28

MononoM Wrote:
> can we smoke in wembley?

I think theres a smoking ban being brought in next year, as far as I know.....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 17, 2006 19:37

Gazza Wrote:
> MononoM Wrote:
> -----
> > can we smoke in wembley?
>
>
> I think theres a smoking ban being brought in next
> year, as far as I know.....

Smoking is banned here in all ENCLOSED public areas from next April. I think I read that stadiums etc won't count. However, with I'm certain the new Wembley will be a smoke-free enviroment and of course, Twickenham is already non-smoking.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 17, 2006 21:43

MononoM Wrote:
> can we smoke in wembley?

As of May next year smoking in all public places will be banned in the UK. So no. And you shouldn't anyway because it'll make you impotent.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 18, 2006 04:10

Nikolai Wrote:
> MononoM Wrote:
> -----
> > can we smoke in wembley?
>
>
> As of May next year smoking in all public places
> will be banned in the UK. So no. And you
> shouldn't anyway because it'll make you impotent.

Err, no. All ENCLOSED public places. For example, a pub beer garden is a public area, yet you'll be allowed to smoke there, as it isn’t sheltered. Stadiums should fall under this category too and whilst I am in doubt that all us cool dudes will be able to puff away up and down the country supporting our local team, the tossers at the FA will see to Wembley being a strictly non-smoking zone.

Date: October 20, 2006 01:14

Its pretty much official :

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Read elsewhere today that apparently a massive 17,000 of the 90,000 seats will be set aside for corporate attendees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-20 01:16 by Gazza.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: October 20, 2006 10:27

Gazza Wrote:
> Its pretty much official :
>
> [news.bbc.co.uk]
> tm
>
> Read elsewhere today that apparently a massive
> 17,000 of the 90,000 seats will be set aside for
> corporate attendees.

But only for the irrelevance of football, what about the REAL reason for Wmebley to be completed?

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: October 20, 2006 10:34

Look at the date when BBC published this one, and look at the first post on this thread. We're better and more updated than the BEEB!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 20, 2006 10:36

Stargroves Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> -----
> > Its pretty much official :
> >
> >
> [news.bbc.co.uk]
>
> > tm
> >
> > Read elsewhere today that apparently a massive
> > 17,000 of the 90,000 seats will be set aside
> for
> > corporate attendees.
>
>
> But only for the irrelevance of football, what
> about the REAL reason for Wmebley to be completed?

<<<<< But only for the irrelevance of football, >>>>>

A classic comment ! Quite agree. Football is TOTALLY irrelevant. Bring on the BAND !

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 20, 2006 13:26

Pissing concerns nearly a hundred per cent of all concert goers. Is the lack of pissing facilities the reason that the Stones don't play the new stadium in Munich but the old Olympic Stadium? The new one (AllianzArena) cost some 80 mio Euros but they forgot dozens of toilets to cope with the capacity...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2160
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home