Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Wembley - Stones!
Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: October 13, 2006 16:54

Here's news: The new Wembley will have it's official opening in the presence og Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at the FA Cup Final on May 17th(?). British football-fans, is this date correct?
That makes me certain that the first big concert at Wembley will be ... The Greatest Rock'n'roll band in the world - ever. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones.

(Why do I know about the opening dates etc? I'm going to deliver some of the furniture for the VIP boxes. Same style as we delivered to The Rolling Stones for the concert in Bergen, Norway. The VIP boxes will be completely furnished in late January. In March, there will be a pre-opening party at Wembley)

Re: Wembley - Stones!
Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: October 13, 2006 17:00

Nice... Nice... I'm alright with Wembley next year... :-)

Jelle

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 13, 2006 17:00

the cup final is always the 2nd/3rd saturday in May-
whether Multiplex actually, ever get round to completing the project,
is very much open to debate and conjecture.

It's been long touted (ever since i attended this years, Cup Final, infact) that the 2007 finale, will be held in Cardiff, too.

It's wishful thinking to suggest it will be ready for use, by next May,
at this stage...
come back with this, at the end of the year, and maybe your forecast will have a greater sense of legitimacy and worth.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2006 17:05

Saw on TV a couple of days ago that they are pretty hopeful the cup final will go ahead at Wembley in May Ok. However, there'll be a 'test event' before the official 'opening' event.

Whether the Stones are the first band to play there depends more on the schedules of other acts than anything else. For this year, the Stones opted NOT to go for the first available slot in early June and Bon Jovi stepped in and were scheduled to be the 'opening' band. The Stones' booking agent (John Siddons)' logic was that they werent assured sufficiently that the venue would be ready that early and so they thought August was more likely (unlike the other acts they had the good foresight to book a back up venue)

From what Ive heard, a Stones Wembley show is more likely to take place at the end of the tour - around a similar date to this year

Date: October 13, 2006 17:08

Adrian-L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the cup final is always the 2nd/3rd saturday in
> May-
> whether Multiplex actually, ever get round to
> completing the project,
> is very much open to debate and conjecture.
>
> It's been long touted (ever since i attended
> this years, Cup Final, infact) that the 2007
> finale, will be held in Cardiff, too.
>
> It's wishful thinking to suggest it will be
> ready for use, by next May,
> at this stage...
> come back with this, at the end of the year, and
> maybe your forecast will have a greater sense of
> legitimacy and worth.

This is not my forecast, but official information I got today from the Wembley owners and the lady responsible for coordinating the delivery of furniture etc.

As I wrote, I get info because I'm delivering the furniture for some VIP-boxes. And I've already told them that my bonus for doing this job is: Exclusive use of the box whenever the Rolling Stones are playing Wembley. And they agreed to that!

Date: October 13, 2006 17:09

and lets not forget, when it is final ready for use- Wembley Stadium,
can be transformed into Wembley 'Arena' , by the push of a button.

A roof will mean that the facility can be used for 'mega-gigs' all year round.

If Cohl wanted to , he could book Wembley Stadium for Nov/Dec 2007,
and with the roof shut, it would be much warmer than Chicago, circa Oct 2006.

Date: October 13, 2006 17:12

GAZZA WROTE: Saw on TV a couple of days ago that they are pretty hopeful the cup final will go ahead at Wembley in May Ok. However, there'll be a 'test event' before the official 'opening' event.

Yes - the test event is in March. A FREE OPENING, according to the mail AND phone call I received today.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: October 13, 2006 17:49

The FA Cup Final will be played on the 19th May 2007.

Date: October 13, 2006 18:01

barking paul Wrote:
> The FA Cup Final will be played on the 19th May
> 2007.

Thanks! That's Wembley's opening date.

Date: October 13, 2006 18:04

Wembley Stones, late summer 2007, will be worth waiting for

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-13 18:06 by Adrian-L.

Posted by: Bol ()
Date: October 13, 2006 18:26

I don't think the Wembley roof does fully cover the pitch like at the Milennium Stadium, Cardiff

Date: October 13, 2006 18:35

I thought it did. If its not a dumb question, what would be the point of having it if it didnt?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 13, 2006 18:39

I've grown rather fond of shows at Twickers...but a return to Wembley will be nice.

Date: October 13, 2006 18:45

I am taking a 'hard hat' tour of Wembley Stadium tomorrow - behind the scenes, etc, etc - will see what I can find out, there will only be 3 of us so will have plenty of opportunity to seek information......

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 13, 2006 18:54

Opening Wembley stadium, followed by two concerts at the Royal Albert Hall. Here I go with the RAH again :-)

Date: October 13, 2006 18:57

I'm going over next Thursday to take exact measures of VIP-boxes and find out which sofas, tables, chairs etc are suitable there. I'll pop a few "extra" questions, too, while I'm there. Wearing a hard hat, helmet etc.

Date: October 13, 2006 19:01

Spud Wrote:
> I've grown rather fond of shows at Twickers...but
> a return to Wembley will be nice.

But it's SO "off Broadway"! It's hell getting back to London in the middle of the night. Both British Rail, London Underground and the taxis really let us down in August... When we finally managed to get on a train to London, and discovered the last tube's at Midnight, and the taxi queues are 3 hours long ... That's not funny, but it's true. Fond of Twickers? Don't think so.

Date: October 13, 2006 19:08

twickenham's a much nicer part of Greater London than Wembley is, though and getting back into central London from Wembley has always been a pain in the ass as well.

Stayed in Richmond both on Licks and ABB tours when they played Twickenham (because I knew central London would be a bollocks to get back to) and whilst it'll be great to see them at Wembley, like Spud I've got somewhat attached to that neck of the woods.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 13, 2006 19:09

I think Bol is right. I visited the Stadium in January and I think the roof only extends to cover the seating areas but maybe Manofwealthandtaste can find out for us.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 13, 2006 19:09

How about telling us what "facts" you have of clubshows and arenas?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 13, 2006 19:17

Shidoobee wrote

"But it's SO "off Broadway"! "

Hey it's all the same to me ,
Shows at either Twickenham or Wembley involve my sitting outside Kings Cross station all night, watching the world go by, waiting for the morning train home.

[..and sone pretty strange bits of world go by...I can tell you ;^) ]

Date: October 13, 2006 19:32

Yeah! We noticed. All the STRANGE people. For a while we thought we'd been admitted to the funny farm. But there were people with kids, really tired, over exhausted kids, crying kids... No more Twickers!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 13, 2006 19:40

Still no "facts", I take it you made it all up then?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 13, 2006 21:45

I will attend this show or these shows with my family , even if I get fired.

Date: October 14, 2006 12:32

mickijaggeroo Wrote:
> Still no "facts", I take it you made it all up
> then?

Michael Cohl is the source here. He's the guy who said it in Bergen. We'll just have to wait for dates and venues untill they start making arrangements for the Euro-2007-tour. I guess they'll tell us the details when they're ready. But they're in the middle of this US tour at the moment, you see.
Sorry I didn't see your posts last night, but first I went to my training class, then a dinner party and a concert. Having a social life really sucks... Means I'm not online 24 - 7.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 14, 2006 14:13

all i know is, that before Wembley can host a proper football match. they have to have two warm up events first (i read somewhere about 30,000 capacity ones) as a safety test

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: October 14, 2006 15:17

There's a free show - an open test - at Wembley in March, according to rumours from a guy in the construcion business.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: October 14, 2006 15:37

Im certain they will play wembley for sure next year, as long as theres no more @#$%& ups with the building .its looking good wembley as i pass by nearly every day.i think its best the stones play ballads at wembley.Dont want to much vibration, that roof dont look safe to me.Please wear hard hats during the show.Abiggerbang it could be lol

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:23

Gazza Wrote:
>>
> From what Ive heard, a Stones Wembley show is more
> likely to take place at the end of the tour -
> around a similar date to this year

most likely end of the tour, yes Gazza
they tend to do UK as the last or one of last bangs nowadays smiling smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:44

Gazza Wrote:
<<<<<<<< twickenham's a much nicer part of Greater London than Wembley is, >>>>>>>>>

You exhibit such mastery of understatement. Out with it for heaven's sake, say it as it is. The area around Wembley Stadium is a f***ing shithole. A true Grimsville !!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1123
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home