Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ronnie wood rules
Posted by: howiewow ()
Date: October 13, 2006 02:44

just got done listening to i've got my own album to do ronnie could be accomplished solo artist just like rod stewart but he jouined the stones instead I NEED RON WOOD GUITAR TABS PLEASE SOMEONE HELP

Re: ronnie wood rules
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 13, 2006 02:47

He was nothing short of fantastic last night...playing AND performing!

Posted by: KeefRiffHard81 ()
Date: October 13, 2006 02:57

check out gimme some neck. by far rons best solo work

youll never find that perfect love that you read about, that you dream about.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 13, 2006 02:59

hell yes howie! That is my favorite record of the moment. Great album start to finish.

And yeah I want ron wood solo guitar tabs too!

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: October 13, 2006 03:27

I pulled out Not For Beginners on a whim yesterday and was just knocked out by Real Hard Rocker and Heart, Soul and Body- smokin'blues rock.

Also, how cool is King of Kings? You get your buddy Bob Dylan to contribute a song and play with you on it and it is an acoustic insturmental, no vocals. Perhaps a first in the Dylan cannon.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 13, 2006 04:13

dylan has done instrumentals before - Nashville Skyline Rag, for instance....

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 13, 2006 04:21

It's simple: there is no bad Ronnie Wood solo album.
I've got my own album to do
Now Look
Gimme Some Neck
Slide on This
Not For Beginners
Slide On This Live
Live & Eclectic

I have not heard any of the late live shows by the Stones yet but from every one who has I hear that Ron is stepping up to the plate; covering for his brother.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 13, 2006 05:00

Wood rules:

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 13, 2006 05:01

Personally, I like much of the debut, and Ron proved he can write and arrange beyond the Faces, and gather the cream of his peers - Far East Man is gorgeous, I Can Feel the Fire a hot & funky rocker, the 2 Jagger/Richards tracks excellent - but the backing vocals (Liza Irene Strike etc) and occasional synth mar some of it ('Cancel Everything' would be even better w/out the b.v.'s)..."Now Look" is even better, thanks to superior production and Bobby Womack, who's added so much to classic albums from Sam Cooke to Aretha and Wilson Pickett and Sly Stone (Wood and Womack are always brilliant collaborators with others). "Mahoney's Last Stand" with Ronnie Lane is an underrated gem, evoking the more organic sound of "Gasoline Alley" & "Beggars Banquet" with its fiddles, dobros, acoustics, slides, and soul - as well as some great material such as "Just For A Moment" (as exquisite as 'Breathe On Me')...To me Gimme Some Neck was a little weaker due to RT Baker's sludgey production and mix and some so-so songs ('F.U.C. Her', etc) but still good. "1234" has some fine moments, but you can taste the coke and Ron's voice is sometimes thick, mucoid, raspy. "Slide On This" was very good with a more modern sounding production and a great choice for collaborator (Bernard Fowler) and the subsequent live album also had some hot moments ('Pretty Beat Up', for one, and since '98 two brilliant studio bonus tracks)...But to me the most underestimated of the bunch is one that grew on me over a year or two, "Not For Beginners" - with its shimmering array of layered elec/acc/pedal steel guitars/electric & standup basses/dobros/mandolins/etc. The songs and performances are emotionally open, passionate (just check the haunting and soul-deep intro to 'R U Behaving Yourself'), convincingly presenting Wood's scars and most heartfelt latter-day experiences: near-despair, fear, humor, and finally values: love, family, friendship, & the satisfactions of joyous musical camaraderie with those he's been closest to...."Hypershine" (with McLagan and Dylan, must be one of the most sensitive, expressive instrumentals of recent years, with its fragile, seemingly effortless, lilting pulse and brilliant sense of tension and release...It's as fine an album as he's ever made - despite one of the ugliest examples of 'cover art' by a major artist ever.

Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: October 13, 2006 09:08

tabs tabs tabs tabs tbas tsba abst!!!!!!

Posted by: yap yap ()
Date: October 13, 2006 10:03

I agree.Ronnie's albums are all great.Gimme Some Neck is my favorite,but I love them all.

The fat man hasn't put out anything that even comes close to Woody's albums.Ron Wood continues to put out excellant cds.The fat man just plays CYHMK and thinks thats all he has to do.Ron Wood is a musician that is still evolving;The fat man peaked in 74 and is still trying to live off past glory.

The fat man has seen his time come,and he has seen it go.Woody is still on the path.

Ronnie Wood Rules!

Pleased to meet you......

Date: October 13, 2006 11:48

The fat man! Haha LOl

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 13, 2006 13:15

Oh yes, I'm also glad that Ronnie's "back". Concerning Taylor - he's a great guitar player, but in terms of a solo "career", he simply can't stand on his own feet, if you know what I mean. He was great in a band like the Stones with the right song material where he could add a lot, but his solo output stand no comparisons with Ronnie's. In commercial terms, Ronnie's albums probably don't sell much better than Taylor's, but there is so much more substance in terms of songwriting. Whatever reasons were mentioned at the time of Taylor's departure from the Stones, I believe a main factor was that Taylor believed he could make it on is own, and that lead to his fatal decision.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 13, 2006 13:31

A songbook of all Stones member's solo records would be an idea! Though it won't be big seller (there isn't even one of A Bigger Bang! - at least in Germany all regular records from Beggar's Banquet onwards were available). On Gimme Some Neck's sleeve some chord changes are listed. My favourite is Slide On This, the most diverse solo record of ALL Stones members in my opinion! Whenever I listen to Not For Beginners I have the notion I'm sitting in front of a cracking fire place on a cold winter night. It's mood and intimacy isn't as "sunny" as all his other solo albums.

Date: October 13, 2006 14:34

Oh yes, "Not for beginners" is very different from the rest of his solo output. One thing about Ron's solo albums is that thye are geberally pretty cheerful. "SunnY' is a good word. I think the whole vibe on NFB might me attributed to the strife in his life at the time.
Ronnie's albums seem to always perfectly mirror the state of affairs of the moment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home