Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Chicago, 18 songs, come on guys!!
Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: October 12, 2006 18:50

Unless you were there last nite as I was you have no justice to complain about the length of the setlist. They gave us 18 songs in terrible conditions. They gave me a concert I will never forget. I, in no way felt cheated by the amount of songs but rather felt I got my money's worth.

Unless you were there, to complain about trivial #%&?! has no justification.

rsk45

Date: October 12, 2006 18:50

I love reading "when the play a show like this they can cut it short". Where has any logic and objectivity gone on this board. Are we all on the payroll and can't say anything bad?

I feel bad for Keith's troubles but as others said don't book an outdoor show in Chicago in October.

Posted by: marbles ()
Date: October 12, 2006 18:51

hail-have you been to any other shows recently? I agree with you on the cold with keith but my impression was that it looked like he has aged a lot since I last saw him in person about 9 months ago. My wife thought it was more he looked cold last night. I'm sure it's a mix of the 2 but I'm not sure how much of each.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 12, 2006 18:59

For a stadium show, and at the prices they are charging, 18 songs is simply ludicrous.

After taking into account the beginning and end, as well as all the arsing about with the B-Stage, there's hardly much time left to fart, let alone vary the setlist by playing some new or surprise numbers.

Go out for a pee and you'd miss the gig!

Posted by: hailtothestones ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:02

Louisville was the latest and yes keith goofed up a couple things in Kentucky like Paint it Black. But marbles we are talking about a vast difference from last night and the Kentucky show. Keith had something seriously wrong last night. His hands were so slow last night he was trying so hard there were no leg kicks or any of that. I honestly think they had keith guitar turned down alot last night. It was crazy!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:02

It might possibly, with all due respect, be to the fact that they are all elderly gentlemen in their 60's. I find it amazing that they are still playing these giant stadium shows at all.
For those of you who aren't musicans, let me tell you that for anybody to stand on stage and play guitar, and run around for 2 hours is not so easy.

Posted by: H ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:06

For those that attended: How did Keith look when he was singing his songs? Was he animated at all or laboring through the two tunes?

Date: October 12, 2006 19:10

My dad and I agreed he sang pretty well. I was suprised he didnt say much before he sang. Although for one other note when keith was doing his solo on tumbling dice he did smile and kinda wag is left hand at the crowd like it hurt or it was cold kinda thing. I thought it was funny. I hope it was just a cold night but Pug on Shidobee supposedly has some bad news to come about Keith but he will share it "later."

Date: October 12, 2006 19:10

hail-I agree, it did seem like Keith was turned down a good portion of last night. It will be interesting to see how things play out the next few weeks/months with Keith to see if it was just the weather, or there's more to it than that.

One thing I really need to point out is that Mick was really giving his all last night & I commend him for that. At the end of BS, he easily could've packed it in said "good night" and run off stage, but he actually exposed himself to the cold & wind again and ran all the way down the catwalk to the B stage for one last time. I've never seen Mick give a subpar performance.

Date: October 12, 2006 19:13

Yea exactly Marbles. Good to see someone else heard that about Keith. Anyhow I had a great time and it wasnt just the liquor. Cheers marbles.

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:18

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uh..I think I'm agreeing with you, if you read it
> again...jesus...

Sorry Gazza, i replied to the wrong message.

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: October 12, 2006 19:19

marbles Wrote:
> stonesriff-While I am not thrilled about the
> shorter setlists, they've been doing this for at
> least the last 15 years. They always start tours
> off with longer setlists & by the end have trimmed
> several songs off. Go back & look at the first
> few shows of the VL tour on & compare it to the
> final shows.

So whats your point, that its o.k. to do that???????

Date: October 12, 2006 19:24

no, I don't like it, but for anyone to be surprised by it at this point is a fool. You either accept it or quit going. I've accepted it and still go. I guess part of it is I'm fortunate to be in Chicago where they always play early on in a tour so I usually get a longer show (at least the first time thru town).

Date: October 12, 2006 19:36

True, just 18 songs, but they played for 3 hours and 20 minutes, so it's worth the short set list in quabtity, they just dragged out the solos longer...

;-)

Date: October 12, 2006 19:38

Coming from one who was at the show, even though it was only 18 songs, I didn't feel cheated in the slightest. I've played some very cold outdoor shows before, and you just can't move your hands like you normally can. Keith did seem to be having some trouble, and did stay back quite a bit, but he did throw in some very nice licks when he had to. You Got the Silver sounded great, and I didn't think his singing was affected at all...the cold probably just slowed up those arthritic hands quite a bit.

Re: She Was Hot Played In Chicago
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 12, 2006 20:22

Keith's singing and Ronnie's playing was nothing short of beautiful during You Got The Silver. After after being introduced by Mick, Keith kind of shook his head and very honestly admitted "I've been through a war," no doubt referring to his brain surgery. A touching moment...

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 12, 2006 20:32

Thanks for the info..it must have been a very special show and I wish I was thre last night...damm the 17,18,19,or 20 songs they did!!!Jagger comming back..running into the crowd up to the b-stage..it must have been special!!She was cold on a hot Chicago night!!

Date: October 12, 2006 21:01

sixes and sevens and nines-That's the way I feel. I didn't feel cheated, a little disappointed and sad maybe but not cheated. I'm thankful my children were able to experience what I believe will be the Stones last performance in Chicago and be able to say they were at the first show anywhere that SWH ws performed not to mention maybe the coldest show the Stones ever played at.

Date: October 12, 2006 21:15

Who deems themsef worthy to judge these guys?
They have released something at least every 2 years since the early 1960s.
They tour the world, and they are strong enough to go around, and come back again.
HOW KEWL IS THAT?????

I read IORR to learn what is up, NOT to hear people speculate on the GREAT KEEF RIFFHARD.

He makes more in one night than most of his critics will in their life.
He stayed married to a great lady (and super model) for many years now, and with no public BS.
He has raised a family of great kids.
He showed up drunk on Johnny's pirate movie set, and said fk ya what did you think??!!

AND may the fallen angels bless Mr Cohl for bringing this all
together back in 1989. That is not greed,,,HE IS RICH ALREADY!!!!

Does it take 1/2 of wit to know that someday ( eyes watering ) that Keef and the
rest may head out. Does it need to be said..."Oh a secret is coming out soon about keef" ?

There have been MFs making jokes and trying kill off Keef for years,
I PITY THE FIRST MF who makes a joke when is gone!!!! We will go Joe Pesci on them.

Playing for 2 hours, in freezing weather, 17 songs is admirable.

Some of these new "groups" play for only 65 minutes, and that is indoors, and their music SUX!!!!

Who deems themself worthy to judge the GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND???

Date: October 12, 2006 21:26

Even though Greg thats somewhat directed at me becuase I was judging. I do agree with you and I like what you said. Good point.

Re: Last Nights Chicago Show
Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 12, 2006 22:04

MicknSteven Wrote:
> Did any one read the reviews over at
> Shidoobee...man that really sucks. The media
> reported 26,000 tickets sold...this really Blows.
> Anyone here think this maybe the Stones Last
> Tour?
>
>
> Your Thoughts?
>
>
> Thanks

Just read them. They don't apparently source number reports from medias, but from their own estimates, which might be correct . That would a 40 % filled stadium.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 12, 2006 22:35

Gregg_in_KansasCity Wrote:
> Who deems themsef worthy to judge these guys?
> They have released something at least every 2
> years since the early 1960s.
> They tour the world, and they are strong enough to
> go around, and come back again.
> HOW KEWL IS THAT?????
kewl?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 12, 2006 22:42

The concert last night was a good one for many reasons. The first half of the show revealed a setlist with some imagination. She Was Hot was a terrific and the band had the arrangements down really well. The sound was excellent from my seat 16 rows back in A6. The guitars were up in the mix. Ronnie played better than I have heard in quite a while. Rehab must have helped and good for him getting his act back together. Not much from the horns last night which was fine with me. Mick was outstanding throughout. It was a strong stadium concert in tough conditions for the band. I give them high numbers for last night.

I watched Keith all evening and he seemed to have some trouble with his hands, but considering the cold and wind up on the stage he did the best he could. His playing was otherwise fine. I thought it funny when he just stopped playing during STreets of Love and walked back behind Charlies riser. It looked like he couldn't hear himself because he was bent over his amp in the back with head down listening. Keith did look a bit weathered compared with when I saw him last year, but the guy has been through some shit this year with the fall and the subsequent surgery. I think he still loves playing and I don't see him in a diminished role so I flat out disagree with those that say he has lost it. You got the Silver was excellent, but I wish Keith would have played more guitar on Little T and A.

I was not susprised to see the Stones cut the concert a bit short. I didn't feel cheated at all. It WAS a very good night for the band and the fans. The weather factor was way overplayed as I was properly dressed. I am sure the Stones had some thermals on as well. The hands though had to have been cold for the guys. Keith was blowing on his and I am sure his arthritis was aggravated by the cold.

What's with this new intro and tempo change to Satisfaction? I thought it was a nice idea lending some new vitality to a trademark number. Anyone else notice this change to Satisfaction?

B stage saw me on the rail, but the sound out there was horrible. I couldn't even tell they were playing Rough Justice! Thought is was Can't Turn You Loose to begin with....

The stadium was much more than 40% full by my count, but as stated before the upper area stage right was completely empty. Lots of no shows because of the weather is my opinion.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 12, 2006 22:49

Keith The Beast Wrote:
> Can anyone who attended the show talk more about
> She Was Hot please. Did Mick screamed the chorus?
> Did Keith played the solo like on the album? Was
> the band tight during this song?

They were very tight and because they had no rote arrangement they just played the hell out of it. It was a blast to really see them JAM on a song rather than just follow te lighting cues.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 12, 2006 23:01

rsk45 Wrote:
> Unless you were there last nite as I was you have
> no justice to complain about the length of the
> setlist. They gave us 18 songs in terrible
> conditions. They gave me a concert I will never
> forget. I, in no way felt cheated by the amount of
> songs but rather felt I got my money's worth.
>
> Unless you were there, to complain about trivial
> #%&?! has no justification.
>
> rsk45

I have to concur with this fellow. I've seen the Stones over thirty times since 1975 and last night was easily among the top five best shows I've ever seen them perform. There was no fluff, no long breaks between songs or excessive banter. Even the warhorse homestretch was tighter, crunchier and more inspired. Mick didn't sprint around as much mostly staying close to the heat being pumped to the front of the stage via three big warm air ducts. It was cold sure, but if you were dressed for it, it was fine. The Stones really rose to the occasion.

I saw them open Voodoo in 90°+ heat and humidity in Washington DC in 1994 where they played 27 songs. I preferred last night.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 12, 2006 23:08

Two such cold nites for the Arthritic Keith might just
burn him out.
The Stones management carries a heavy responsibilty for draggin
him out to these freezin venues.

Posted by: PedroThePimp ()
Date: October 12, 2006 23:25

Was the stadium very full?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 12, 2006 23:49

PedroThePimp Wrote:
> Was the stadium very full?

40-50%.
Upper level tarped off.

(photo by voodoopug on Rocks Off, Shidoobee)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 12, 2006 23:52

pretty busy at the moment, cant read this thread right now. just want to chime in and say Im very glad to hear this news! hope they play it in Oakland.

Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: October 13, 2006 00:05

R Wrote:
>
>
>
> I have to concur with this fellow. I've seen the
> Stones over thirty times since 1975 and last night
> was easily among the top five best shows I've ever
> seen them perform. There was no fluff, no long
> breaks between songs or excessive banter. Even the
> warhorse homestretch was tighter, crunchier and
> more inspired. Mick didn't sprint around as much
> mostly staying close to the heat being pumped to
> the front of the stage via three big warm air
> ducts. It was cold sure, but if you were dressed
> for it, it was fine. The Stones really rose to the
> occasion.
>
>
> I saw them open Voodoo in 90°+ heat and humidity
> in Washington DC in 1994 where they played 27
> songs. I preferred last night.

R-I too have been going to their shows since 1972 and I would agree that last nite was easily one of the best. The only thing that bothered me was watching Keith. Hopefully it was just the arthritis-but at times he looked lost-not sure of the moment- yet at times frustrated at the entire situation. I give credit to Ronnie cause it seemed he had to cover him on a few occasions. What do you think?

rsk45

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home