Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bad news, Lou Reed is not coming...
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: September 28, 2006 00:10

Hi, for those fans of Lou Reed, he suppostly had to be here in Tenerife, in a concert October 29th, but he cancelled due to logistic issues, he is playing in California begining of November.
Very sad in Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain.
Just have a look at the Auditorium designed by Calatrava,
Salud!!
Carlos

[www.auditoriodetenerife.com]

Re: Bad news, Lou Reed is not coming...
Date: September 28, 2006 00:13

Cancellations and cancellations again in Spain

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 28, 2006 00:54

Yeah, but he isn't coming far enough South in CA...darn Lou...I need my fix...it's been since the last live album...aghhh...

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: September 28, 2006 01:00

Lou (and his "band") sure ain't what he used to be.

That's a nice looking venue though. It reminds me of something..?...?...an airplane crash?....?....a Sharks tooth...?...I dunno....

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: September 28, 2006 01:12

I'm a big fan of Lou Reed's material, but the last time I saw him I found him to be a bit full of himself.

At the club here in Portland, he made a really big deal about closing down the bar inside of the venue so as to not distract people from his performance (or be distracted himself?). I think that the signs inside the Roseland Theatre said something like "per the artist's request the bar is closed." I mean, come on, this a Rock & Roll show, not a baptism. I heard he stopped his show a few times in Vegas that same tour to bitch out folks at the bar for talking / carrying on. People like to have a few drinks when they pay their hard earned dough to go to a rock and roll show. If you don't want to be around noisy drinkers, don't hang out near the bar. As far as the performer is concerned, aren't PA systems and monitors supposed to drown out such noise?

He had some master tai-chi performer on stage doing poses while he played, which I have nothing against, but the whole affair seemed a bit pompous to me.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 28, 2006 01:23

He did have that tai-chi guy for one tour, but then played a straight rock show not long after for the All Tomorrow's Parties gig in Long Beach...now that was a hot show! Lou with drums are always better than lou without drums, but that tai-chi tour was still good...esp. the Warfield & Wiltern gigs (the San Diego gig was good, but not as good).

Date: September 28, 2006 01:32

Here it is a photo album of this great venue,
enjoy Calatrava,

[www.tenerife-abc.com]

this place would be great for an intimate concert of the Stones

Date: September 28, 2006 01:33

Posted by: Uncle Thud ()
Date: September 28, 2006 04:56

Looks very nice...thanks for posting

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 28, 2006 05:25

Thanks for the pix, carlitosbaez. Too bad about lou's cancellation--despite the narrow-minded posts above, his shows are almost always terrific and have been for a long time. He is constantly touring; is he supposed to do the same thing every time? Oh, that's what the stones do.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 28, 2006 09:34

I am a humongous Lou Reed fan but I would not go see him anymore. His renditions and shows have become tedious, clean. He is very taken with himself and that Tai Chi person was one of the most riduculous things ever.
I don't know if it was on this board here but I read where someone from NYC posted where they went to a movie a while back. They were being bothered and distracted greatly by an arguing couple behind them. This couple were having some cantankerous fight that elder couples everywhere have. When he finally turned around it was Lou and Lauri Anderson.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 28, 2006 10:41

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a humongous Lou Reed fan but I would not go
> see him anymore. His renditions and shows have
> become tedious, clean. He is very taken with
> himself and that Tai Chi person was one of the
> most riduculous things ever.
> I don't know if it was on this board here but I
> read where someone from NYC posted where they went
> to a movie a while back. They were being bothered
> and distracted greatly by an arguing couple behind
> them. This couple were having some cantankerous
> fight that elder couples everywhere have. When he
> finally turned around it was Lou and Lauri
> Anderson.

Great story.

I love Lou. Saw him three times on the Ecstasy tour and he kicked major ass. The Raven tour wasn't at all bad, but what is this thing he has about that fat cokehead Anthony? Anthony RUINED everything he sang on with his wretched wail of a "voice". Ugh!

Lou's new album will be - get this - "Meditation Music", consisting of electronic noises with his tai chi instructor gabbling away over it. Metal Machine Music 2 folks.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: September 28, 2006 11:04

I like Lou as well, and when I saw him a few years back it was a great show.
I have to laugh though that Lou is now a health "convert", if you think about his lifestyle and the stories about him in the 1970's. The Laurie Anderson Grandma and Grandpa thing is also funny, I mean the the guy is gay, he lived with a tranvestite for years.

Date: September 28, 2006 11:13

Well Lou was married to a woman for many years. He , it seems, tried really hard to live the hetero life, with wife and house. I met her a few times and can say from my end she was a real b*tch. Everyone who lnew them a lot better said the same. Rachel was not a transvestite earlier on; but a transsexual.
Nikolai, your description of Antony is hilarious. I just can not agree with you becasue I like his albums. Actually Lou's contribution was my least favorite onn that record.

Date: September 28, 2006 11:34

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Well Lou was married to a woman for many years. He
> , it seems, tried really hard to live the hetero
> life, with wife and house. I met her a few times
> and can say from my end she was a real b*tch.
> Everyone who lnew them a lot better said the same.
> Rachel was not a transvestite earlier on; but a
> transsexual.
> Nikolai, your description of Antony is hilarious.
> I just can not agree with you becasue I like his
> albums. Actually Lou's contribution was my least
> favorite onn that record.

That would be the erstwhile Sylvia Reed right? He eviscerated their marriage on "Ecstasy" - stuff about f-cking other women in their bed, and then going down to the Hudson to get cheap blowjobs because of all the "useless nights" he had in bed with his wife. And then there's Baton Rouge, another sour kiss-off. I almost felt sorry for Sylvia.

I think Lou's basically bisexual. He owned up to it as much in "Like A Possum" -

You know me I like to dance a lot
with different selves who cancel out
one another
I'm the only one left standing
One likes muscles, oil and dirt
and the other likes the women with the butt that hurts

He's found his ideal partner in Laurie Andreson, who looks like a man, but isn't. She's Rachel in reverse.

Anyway, Anthony or Antony or Fat Tony ... I think he sounds like the ghost of a murdered transvestite valkyrie. But you like him, ChelseaD, so I'll shaddup and keep my bile stored up for the "OT: Anthony & The Small Johnsons" thread.

Date: September 28, 2006 12:15

Nikolai, you should write Antony that descritpion "murdered transvestite valkyrie" LOL. he'd probably put it on his next album.
Yes, Liu did stick it to Sylvia pretty hard. Even on "Set the Twilight" where he was supposedly revelling in married bliss it sounded close to implosion. It never rang right. I agree about Laurie; I always thought the same: it's as close as he can still stay on the homo side, while actually doing the woman.

Date: September 28, 2006 12:24

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Nikolai, you should write Antony that descritpion
> "murdered transvestite valkyrie" LOL. he'd
> probably put it on his next album.
> Yes, Liu did stick it to Sylvia pretty hard. Even
> on "Set the Twilight" where he was supposedly
> revelling in married bliss it sounded close to
> implosion. It never rang right. I agree about
> Laurie; I always thought the same: it's as close
> as he can still stay on the homo side, while
> actually doing the woman.

Strange man, our beloved Lou. I've met him a couple of times and he's always been the very essence of charm.

By the way, I'm not entirely convinced by his "healthy" self. I'm sure he still smokes his Carlton cigarettes. Don't know if you ever saw the Live in Montreux 2000, but Lou sparks up while singing Ecstasy. It's a magical moment from a really fantastic DVD.

Date: September 28, 2006 12:40

I recall when I used to "know" him he was smoking something black; you know like Gauloise or Gitanes.

Date: September 28, 2006 20:12

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> I recall when I used to "know" him he was smoking
> something black; you know like Gauloise or
> Gitanes.

You sure that wasn't Bowie? He smoked those Fench cigs all through the 70s and switched to Marlboro Non-Lights in the eighties, before going down to Marlboro Lights in the 90s and - I suppose - to fresh air and denial now.

Can't imagine Lou smoking Gitannes. Marlboro Reds would have been his thing, surely, before he hit the Carltons.

How well did you "know" him, anyway, Chelsea?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-28 20:13 by Nikolai.

Date: September 28, 2006 20:15

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Nikolai, you should write Antony that descritpion
> "murdered transvestite valkyrie" LOL. he'd
> probably put it on his next album.
> Yes, Liu did stick it to Sylvia pretty hard. Even
> on "Set the Twilight" where he was supposedly
> revelling in married bliss it sounded close to
> implosion. It never rang right. I agree about
> Laurie; I always thought the same: it's as close
> as he can still stay on the homo side, while
> actually doing the woman.

Nah man. Couldn't possibly support Fat Tony in ANY way, you know. I guess though, from, what you're saying, that the blob's got a sebse of humour to go with his horrific voice, in which case I'd probably like him if I met him. David Lynch put all the (unfair) bad reviews he got for Lost Highway on the film posters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1652
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home