Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lead Guitar vs. Rhythm Guitar
Posted by: JJFlash88 ()
Date: September 26, 2006 23:52

Can anyone post any reliable info. on which songs (played live on this tour and recent tours) Keith plays lead/rhythm and which songs Ron plays lead/rhythm? I am very inetrested in this topic....

Re: Lead Guitar vs. Rhythm Guitar
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 27, 2006 00:44

Just listen...its blatantly obvious...

JR

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 27, 2006 00:45

You've posted 76 times JJF88.
Mick plays chunky rhythm-as-lead on original Sway with Mick Taylor doing stunning lead til Buckmaster breaks on through with those
hard rockin strings (penance for whoring on Elton's "Levon", sung in that ludicris accent with a wad of tobacco in his cheek as he gazed longingly at the cover of "The Band" with an h/o for Garth in blacksmith drag)
Now Keith, who merely sang on the original, plays guitar but doesnt sing, and that new kid Ron, just moved in 31 years ago, plays the solo and also doesnt sing.

Date: September 27, 2006 01:34

What does how many times I've posted have to do with this?

Posted by: MicknSteven ()
Date: September 27, 2006 01:38

You know what I have a copy of the Set List for the Private Show in Las Veags during the licks tour and If i remeber correcly it might say on there, but i am not certain.i dont know it off the top of my head.

Date: September 27, 2006 01:42

And notice I asked about "this tour and recent tours"......so I don't know why you wrote about "origional sway."

Date: September 27, 2006 01:42

MicknSteven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know what I have a copy of the Set List for
> the Private Show in Las Veags during the licks
> tour and If i remeber correcly it might say on
> there, but i am not certain.i dont know it off the
> top of my head.

Hey that would be great! Thanks A lot!

Date: September 27, 2006 01:44

I will take a look tonight and i will try to get back to you tomorrow.

Date: September 27, 2006 01:45

Nice....thanks for not being a jackass about it...I simply asked a question and I get two genious answers.

Date: September 27, 2006 01:48

yeah i dnot know whats up with that...

Date: September 27, 2006 01:49

Sorry...JJF there are a lot of songs played so far...Have you seen any shows yet? Any songs specifically you're interested in? I recall at Fenway Ron took many of the leads (solos) - Out of Control, You Got Me Rocking, SMU, YCAGWYW, Heartbreaker, The Worst (pedal steel?), Rough Justice, Keith did Sympathy, Mick and Ron slide together on Back of My hand, Keith on electric, I think Keith led Night Time...hmmm seems like they've gone back in time since then, way more 00s/90s titles, --funny 6 months later Ron played better as I recall but Keith seemed more dominant, due perhaps to the songs played.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 27, 2006 02:56

JJF, if you have a SB (as most new ones are) boot from this last tour, the guitars are usually split left/right. It is easy to determine which one is Keith and which one is Ronnie.
Keith has some songs that he always does the lead on. lately it seems like he does a lot more. Ron will often take the "featured" structured solo; like Hand of Fate, Happy, Worried bout you, Can't you hear me knockin, YCAGWYW. Keith seems to do the looser, jamming solos, Satisfaction, SFTD.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: September 27, 2006 03:08

So since Ron plays the solo in Start Me Up he is considered to play "lead" on that song? Liek Keith w/ Satisfaction?

Posted by: HoldOnToYourHat ()
Date: September 27, 2006 05:21

Yes. Keith plays rhythm on most tracks that are open G...Brown Sugar, YCAGWYW, Happy, etc. Leads in Stones songs are usually played w/ series of single note fills and solos, such as the sitar-imitation lick in JJF (by Ron) or the Berry-style fills of a song like IORR (KR).

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 27, 2006 05:42

One of the great things about the Stones is that they don't make the distinction between rhythm and lead guitar. Of course, in some cases one of them plays a solo, but most of the time they just play chords, riffs and little fills. It doesn't matter who plays what.

Posted by: toko ()
Date: September 27, 2006 05:52

JJFlash88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So since Ron plays the solo in Start Me Up he is
> considered to play "lead" on that song? Liek
> Keith w/ Satisfaction?

I see what you're asking now. There are a bunch of songs,
like Sympathy, where they're both playing lead together at times.
They do it on Gimme Shelter too, and many others. But even on those
where Keith takes the only solo, like Satisfaction, he's still
providing the main rhythm guitar that drives the song during the
verses. In general, Ronnie provides more 'filler' that is somewhere
between a lead and a rhythm. Exceptions to that are "Oh no not you again" and
"She's so cold", where they're both out full chords and chunking
along. If you're trying to figure out which is which, Keith's
full-on rhythm sound is unmistakable. Usually with that open G tuning--
VERY full-sounding, rings in your ears, makes you want to play air
guitar to it. Ronnie's rhythm sound is usually thinner, sounds like any
other guitar player, tone-wise. The opening to Start me Up or JJF will
have that sound, and Ronnie has never matched it, or even tried to.
I don't think I know of any songs where Ronnie's actually the one
holding down the rhythm.

Date: September 27, 2006 07:40

Well, toko I do find both players very distinctive, not 'like any guitar player' but Ron's style in Faces was much 'chunkier (i.e. That's All You Need, Rock Me, Real Good Time, etc), whereas in the Stones his role was evolving away from that fairly quickly - look at the roles in 'Hey Negrita', and I assume it was an adaptation to Keith's style, but another where K is playing the more aggressive rhythm/lead is Midnight Rambler, with Ron playing bluesey fills in the spaces, or off Keith's 'rhythm.'

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 27, 2006 08:57

I think it looks stupid when Mick have a guitar around his neck. Mick is THE SINGER, AND THE SONG...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 27, 2006 09:37

>> since Ron plays the solo in Start Me Up he is considered to play "lead" on that song? <<

hm: i wouldn't say it's that clearcut with the Stones (especially the current Stones).
to me, it's more accurate (with the current Stones) to say that the one playing the solo is the one playing the solo;
but yeah, a lot of people would probably say the one who plays the solo is playing lead on the given number.

Posted by: KCSTONED ()
Date: September 27, 2006 09:52

So since Ron plays the solo in Start Me Up he is considered to play "lead" on that song? Liek Keith w/ Satisfaction?

Is that what they call Ron's bit on SMU..Lead...That is indeed very kind!

Posted by: TombstoneShadow ()
Date: September 27, 2006 12:57

The distinction is that since the Stones are "all about rhythm", in a true sense for the Stones "the rhythm is the lead"... there's no guitarist more involved in the rhythm of his band than Keith Richards.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 27, 2006 15:41

Yep,
Keith may not play all the lead guitar...but HE's always the lead guitarist.
He maybe likes to believe that it's an equal symbiotic partnership...but the truth is that Ronnie plays whatever will fit with what Keith's playing !
[or sometimes perhaps not ;^) ]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 27, 2006 17:35

An example of someone playing lead throughout the song yet NOT the solo would be on The Last Time. Brian played the lead riff and Keith the rhythm and the solo on the studio take. It was the same on the Bridges To Babylon tour, except replace Brian with Ronnie!

Date: September 27, 2006 18:04

jjflash, i found the setlist but it didnt have the info you requested, however it looks like these guys up above know whats going on.

Date: September 27, 2006 23:13

hey thats awesome anyway...can u post it or email it to me...jfranks@gwu.edu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1651
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home