Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jajouka
Posted by: tussler ()
Date: September 21, 2006 15:31

Brians albums with folkmusicians from Marocco. What is it like. I like continental drift ( and that song is original from that album? ) and I`m curious about the rest. If someone already have wrote a thread about it, please help to lead me to the thread(s).

Re: Jajouka
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 21, 2006 17:25

as i remember it sucked... continental drift does not come from brian's album..
some of the same players as was on brian's album.. but not the track...also its more charlie watts on drums anyway...
C.DRIFT will go down as one of the stones very best tracks...

Posted by: mistervinyl ()
Date: September 21, 2006 18:32

Jujuka has nothing to do with C. Drift or Brian's ability to play instruments (he does not play on the album).

For some cultural reasons, this is not for occidental ears... unless you smoke mountains of kif !

winking smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 21, 2006 18:53

HA--GOOD ONE!
when i was young i got that on 8track because i believed brian jones played on it...i first played it...i wondered what did brian do on it...and said i don't care if he did, it still sucked...when i found out that brian didn't play a thing on it..i said brain still cool...and was real happy..ha.

Date: September 21, 2006 19:04

I think I got the message. Don`t buy itsmiling smiley Thanks

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 21, 2006 20:31

I have a few recordings of of the MM of Jajouka and I love them.

More info on

[www.jajouka.com]

C

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: September 21, 2006 21:30

I love Jajouka and highly recommend it, for those with an open mind and eclectic taste in music. For the "highly evolved".
Check out my bj site for more info on jajouka.

[www.angelfire.com]

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: mistervinyl ()
Date: September 21, 2006 21:33

Anyway, you can listen to samples on "imyourson.com"

MV.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 21, 2006 22:11

If you like different kinds of music, this is classic and powerful - the BJ Presents album. Much more intense and 'hard' (loud, driving, scary) than the washed out mix that ended up on Continental Drift (coulda been something special)...Burroughs called them a 1,000 year old rock 'n' roll band', and frankly I dont understand why more people dont dig this. Certainly influenced many Stones tracks from "We Love You" to "Everything Is Turning To Gold." The first side picks up such intensity that, if you play it loud enough, it sounds like some massive catatastrophe is going on - shrieking madness, piercing drones and thunderous Moroccon drumming. Astonishing.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: September 22, 2006 09:32

It's interresting - but not something one will want to play on the car stereo. I just bought it because it was the first release on Rolling Stones Redords... If one is a Stones-collector, it's a must.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 22, 2006 09:48

shidoobee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's interresting - but not something one will
> want to play on the car stereo. I just bought it
> because it was the first release on Rolling Stones
> Redords... If one is a Stones-collector, it's a
> must.

Is that so? I thought Sticky Fingers is the first one. What about Jamming With Edwards - was it released around the same time as Jojouka (1972?)

- Doxa

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 22, 2006 11:27

A stone cold classic from my college days, and very obsessed over by even non-Stones friends at the time (when it was hard to find). Take a chance on something exotic already.

Date: September 22, 2006 11:38

Well, after different thoughts about Jajouka I understand that I have to find out by myself about the albums music.

About Jamming with edwards, I think it is a ordinary album with nothing special.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 22, 2006 11:50

Date: September 22, 2006 12:55

NOTHING like JWE, which was a throaway - Joujouka was a labor of love. Play it and the neighbors you hate will think go crazy, call police, move away, etc Other good MMs Of J out there too - Bill Laswell produced one (more natural, balanced studio recording, less intense). The musicianship is truly extraordinary.

Date: September 22, 2006 13:17

Hey Folks, no panic ! It's an @#$%& great album, recorded in the Atlas mountians in Marocco. A differnt kind of rock'a'roll...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 22, 2006 14:00

Hot Stuff, did you say BRAIN still cool, or BRIAN still cool? because it chnages the whole sense of your post. LOL Either way...I kind of liked the Joujouka album. Course I can not honestly say that Brian opened my heart to a whole new world. But if it had not been for the Stones-connection I would never have been exposed to any of the Moroccan music. So for that alone it is good. I don't really think that Continetal Drift is the better of the two pieces.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: September 22, 2006 14:45

Doxa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> shidoobee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's interresting - but not something one will
> > want to play on the car stereo. I just bought
> it
> > because it was the first release on Rolling
> Stones
> > Redords... If one is a Stones-collector, it's a
> > must.
>
>
> Is that so? I thought Sticky Fingers is the first
> one. What about Jamming With Edwards - was it
> released around the same time as Jojouka (1972?)
>
> - Doxa

No, I think Jojouka was no 1, then Peter Tosh's Bush Doctor. Correct me if I'm wrong, Gazza, Cindy - all you walking encyclopedias...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 22, 2006 15:03

LOL..youre welcome

Joujouka was 1971
London Howlin Wolf Sessions also came out in 1971
Jamming with edward was 1972
Bush Doctor 1978 - although I think there were other releases on RSR before that, such as those by Kracker, etc

Nico Zentgraf's Complete Works site lists the release date of Joujouka as October 1971, which means that it came out 6 months after Sticky Fingers, but I think they were released at pretty much the same time. He has the Howlin Wolf one as August 1971, yet its serial number is COC 49101 and 'Joujouka' is COC49100 - which would suggest 'Joujouka' came earlier

Saying that, Sticky Fingers was COC 59100, Edward (Jan 1972) is COC39100 and Exile (May '72) is COC 69100, so they seem to have a strange way of numbering their releases

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: September 22, 2006 16:10

I think the Tom Dunahue interwiew was the first pressing on the Stones-label.
Can't check it right now, I'm at work.

All the best, and have a nice weekend!

Per-Arne

Date: September 22, 2006 17:44

I have come to one conclusion to get an answer, I have to listen to the albumsmiling smiley
Per-Arne, I think we took a coffee together in London 20th aug.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 22, 2006 23:07

>although I think there were other releases on RSR before that, such as those by Kracker

And Bill Wyman!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2006 14:29

(I put my post also to this thread because it is more appropriate here I think):

Yeah, perhaps 'guilty' is not a right word - even though I think Mick and Keith were supposedly happy about how they treated Brian, considering what happened to the man. But anyway - Brian wanted to use that jajouka stuff already to Beggars Banquet, but wasn't allowed. I don't know if there were any plans to release that stuff at the time when Brian was still alive, but released after his death, by Rolling Stones records, it sounded like a tribute to and acknowledgment of their ex-band mate. Anyway, the guy was quite forerunner for 'world music' genre - for example, it took over 20 years for Mick and Keith to realize that maybe Brian had a point in his ideas of integrating Jajouka stuff into Stones record... (why they didn't even put a small credit for Brian in Steel Wheels (like 'inspired by Brian Jones' or something? Tough guys...)

- Doxa

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: September 25, 2006 10:45

Hi.
I think the list is:
"Donahue"
Sticky Fingers
Brian Jones Plays (and presents)
The Howlin Wolf London..
Jamming...
Exile
Goat's head
Kracker Band
Monkey Grip
It's only....
Made in....

Bush Doctor is much later. Late 78. The UK versions has changed to CUN at that time (The US versions has COC)

Tussler: Starbuck's in Oxford Street?
(Beetween the first and the second show? 21'st?)

Per-Arne

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: September 28, 2006 05:29

I've listened to it about 2 times in 30 years. It bears no resemblense to Stones music. Get it if you want to haev everything that ahs anything to do with The Stones. Plus it's a novelty Brain put out.

But if you plan on getting something you'll listen to often- I doubt you will.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Date: October 8, 2006 11:42

A very simple test: If you think "The Pipes of Pan at Jajouka" sucks, YOU suck.

Date: October 8, 2006 11:45

A very simple test: If you think "The Pipes of Pan at Jajouka" sucks, YOU suck.

Date: October 8, 2006 17:24

I don't recall Kracker actually released any album, despite reports Jimmy M was producing them...???...Jim Carroll's "Catholic Boy" (1980) was originally sheduled for RS Records (Keith did a guest shot at a gig or 2 in NY w/ JC) - I have an ad for the disc with the tongue logo; eventually it came out on Atco.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home