Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Books on The Stones , recommendations ?
Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: September 15, 2006 18:34

Did anyone read "Faithfull", Marianne's book - written whit a co-author? It's very interresting, indeed. And even has qualities when we speak of good litterature!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2006 19:11

yes..I thought it was very good. Think I read a while back she was talking about doing another book. Guess that'll be on the backburner for a while as she has more pressing matters to deal with at the minute.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 15, 2006 19:15

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bill Wyman's 'Stone Alone' yet. in terms of artistic quality it is not very entertaining - due to an encyklopedist historian mind of Bill - but it's very detailed account of the band in the 60's. Of course, Bill has this agenda to bash Mick and Keith whenever it is possible, and he is a bit bitter sounding man, but never mind. Good insider info and not just about how his bank account or his sex life with fans is doing...

- Doxa

Posted by: tylerdurden2001 ()
Date: September 15, 2006 21:16

I just made the mistake of reading the Victor Bokris biography of Keith. I enjoyed Stephen Davis' book to be honest, and you really can't go wrong with Robert Greenfield.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: September 15, 2006 22:55

Try The Stones by Philip Norman. And treat yourself to Bent Rej's In The Begining.

Date: September 15, 2006 23:03

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes..I thought it was very good. Think I read a
> while back she was talking about doing another
> book. Guess that'll be on the backburner for a
> while as she has more pressing matters to deal
> with at the minute.

Yes, it's really very good! And not self pitying at all.
Perhaps she'll start writing the new book now, it's really good therapy for your soul when you're critically ill. Writing down your thoughts, what you're going through, and how you're going to win the fight. She'll be on sick leave for quite a while, and it's important to fill one's spare time (treatment only takes like maximum 1 hour a day) with things that can give you an intellectual input and take your mind off the frightening stuff that's going on inside your body.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-15 23:06 by shidoobee.

Date: September 15, 2006 23:04

jagger50 Wrote:
> Try The Stones by Philip Norman.

its awful.

The original one wasnt too bad (it came out about 1984) but every time the Stones make a new record or go on tour, he cashes in with a much heralded "updated" version, which generally contains about 3 pages covering 5 years of their career, with basic factual errors every few paragraphs. He's obviously not interested in doing it properly and employs a baboon as a researcher (and I dont mean our friend from Sweden who posts here..).

A truly hateful individual. Whenever theres a hatchet job on the Stones in the Daily Mail or somewhere similar, you can always rely on them trotting out "acclaimed Stones biographer" Norman to put the boot in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-15 23:07 by Gazza.

Date: September 15, 2006 23:05

shidoobee Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > yes..I thought it was very good. Think I read a
> > while back she was talking about doing another
> > book. Guess that'll be on the backburner for a
> > while as she has more pressing matters to deal
> > with at the minute.
>
>
> Yes, it's really very good! And not self pitying
> at all.
> Perhaps she'll start writing the new book now,
> it's really good therapy for your soul when you're
> critically ill. Writing down your thoughts, what
> you're going through, and how you're going to win
> the fight. She'll be on sick leave for quite a
> while, and it's important to fill one's spare time
> (treatment only takes like maximum 1 hour a day)
> with things that chan give you an intellectual
> input and take your mind of the frightening stuff
> that's going on inside your body.

Not a bad idea. Wouldnt she be a bit drained, though?

Date: September 15, 2006 23:12

No, she's strong as hell! And if treatment makes her fatigue, filling one's life with cultural input - like going to concerts, exhibitions, reading, writing etc, really makes ones strenght come back. I used the same method, just wanted to do things that gave life meaning - things I really WANTED to do. And I just didn't give one s**t about things that didn't mean a lot to me. Spending quality time with great people, having a laugh, some wine, good food - enjoying the good life - that's what makes you survive - and come back with a bang. She's both smart and strong - she'll make it.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: September 15, 2006 23:16

Gazza, I must have an early edition of Norman's book. I found it as accurate as one could expect. But, whatever!

Date: September 15, 2006 23:18

I have the 1984 edition, I think (the first one). Its a bit lightweight, but like I said, its not bad.

Avoid the later ones with the sloppily-researched 'updates', though.

His Beatles bio is much superior, incidentally.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 16, 2006 12:48

I am kind of glad the Bockris book ahs not been mentioned too often. I know he enjoys a ceratin reputation as a Stones connoisseur. he is ceratinly not the insider he likes to paint himslef out to be. I thought his Keith bio was in the end empty and infantile. He should get along well with Don Was. genuflecting at the Glimmer's altar.
Ther biggest dissappointment to me was Wyman';s first book "Stone Alone". Such high expectations and every chapter ending with the balance of his miserable checking account. Now here is finally the bio from a real insider. He was a ROLLING STONE! for chrissake. And....nothing. I know, I know he didn't hang out in Keith's hotelroom in the 70's; no juicy stories there. But the countless hoursa spent in the studio, at the eye of the hurricane; on tour!
Whine whine "Charlie and me lokked at each other and shook or heads. Only 3 pounds in my account..."Avtually that whole attitude says a lot about how the Stone really survived it all. They of all people maybe didn't see or care about all the fuss.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: September 16, 2006 14:34

fear and loathing in las vegas

driving across the desert listening to sympathy for the devil at top volume... man, that just makes a person was to put on beggar's,loud, and going driving...

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: September 16, 2006 20:09

thank you kindly, Gazza!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-16 20:11 by martingo.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: September 17, 2006 00:25

As a biographer, Chris Sandford is a JOKE! I am struggling to finish the biography of Keith, " KEITH RICHARDS-SATISFACTION". He records information as if Mick was non-existent and the other Stones are bit players! Keith WROTE ALL the songs, Keith organized this show, Keith is the only Stone that can speak coherently, which we ALL know is far from the truth! It is very annoying! I will finish it just to refresh my mind about certain landmark events in Stones History which seem to be accurate but with Sandford, who knows!

Date: September 17, 2006 06:03

But Debra he does that with every "Bio" he's written. If you would read his Bio on Jagger the next day he would be saying the same about Mick. I have come to the realization that all writers about Rock etc are idiots, wannabees. I read only accounts from the folkjs who were there, or that approach the subject with some humility and wonder.
I HATE, HATE these cats that have madw reviews and rock-prose an artform.,

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: September 17, 2006 14:50

i liked the Bockris book about Rixhards ...quite interesting

Posted by: mistervinyl ()
Date: September 17, 2006 15:57

As an amateur musician, i would recommend Complete Recording Sessions 1962 - 2002 by Martin Elliott (Cherry Red Books) !!!

I'm not interested in piss-on-the-wall-who-killed-bj-blood-changes-jet-set crap...

Date: September 17, 2006 16:51

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> But Debra he does that with every "Bio" he's
> written. If you would read his Bio on Jagger the
> next day he would be saying the same about Mick. I
> have come to the realization that all writers
> about Rock etc are idiots, wannabees.

music writers are..."people who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read." (Frank Zappa)

Posted by: jseb ()
Date: September 17, 2006 18:51

read "rolling stones, une biographie", by François Bon.
the best book i've ever read about the stones

Brussels, ? , Stade Roi Baudouin

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: September 17, 2006 19:20

Absolutely right, Chelseadrugstore! I have read his Mick bio, unfortunately! I wonder how much HATE MAIL he gets! Great quote, Gazza!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 17, 2006 19:22

In addition to Booth, Greenfield, Spanish Tony, & Flippo, "Off The Record" by Mark Paytress is essential - a chronological history of the band told through quotes from newspapers & tv/radio interviews.

It's almost more of a reference book rather in that it doesn't really read like a biography, but for pure contemporary info, it's hard to beat.

Date: September 18, 2006 00:48

What I found while collecting books on the Stones, is that a lot of the best ones are the limited issues done by hardcore fans for other fans only. the binding might leave a lot to be desired, but the heart is right where my own is.

Date: September 18, 2006 02:09

I agree - although maybe thats the nerd in me. LOL. I just prefer those sort of books that concentrate on the music. They may be less interesting to most of the general public and are only really aimed at the 'hardcore' but theres a lot more work and research goes into them. And theyre certainly not done for the money.

Most bios by journalists are written by people who dont know the subjects personally and who end up rehashing the same stuff (you can tell in many cases because they copy each other and make similar factual errors). Reading a bio and spotting glaring and basic errors (even when youre not looking for them) make me automatically question the validity of any 'revelation' the writer comes out with. Thats why I couldnt even get more than half way through Stephen Davis' 'Old Gods Almost Dead' book. I dipped into it at random and lost count of the errors in it, before just giving up. Utter trash.

Kris Needs' bio on Keith had loads of factual errors too, but wasnt as annoying because he had a different and more good-natured approach to his subject. As far as Davis goes, if youre going to do a hatchet job, it helps your case if you have some decent knowledge of your subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-18 02:10 by Gazza.

Date: September 22, 2006 08:00

Yes Gazza, I also could not get very far in "Old Gods". "Blown Away" was another lousy one.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 24, 2006 01:08

Thanks for all your suggestions

I have read many of which were mentioned but now I've got a formidable list to go shopping with

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 24, 2006 03:48

Good read...good info....friggin' great album...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 9, 2006 04:10

thanks for all your suggestions .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2006 05:04

[www.iorr.org]

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home