Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What makes a perfect Stones show ?
Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: September 12, 2006 13:23

I'd say venue, setlist, crowd.
Close to perfect may be the Jan 17 1998 MSG show.
The set features standards, but also killer album cuts (All Down The Line, When The Whip Comes Down), covers (Little Queenie, Like A Rolling Stone, Love To You) and 6 new songs (including Might As Well Get Juiced and You Don't Have To Mean It). Can't say much about the crowd.
The Oakland Arena show on Jan 25 1999 is also a very good example.
It has 3 live debuts (Moonlight Mile, Some Girls and You Got The Silver), 3 really rare live songs (Undercover, Shine A Light, Route 66) and brought Midnight Rambler back into the States after 10 years, the crowd was very loud for American standards. Also, this is one of the few shows in which the Stones don't play all the warhorses (Satisfaction was even left out for the complete leg).

Re: What makes a perfect Stones show ?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 12, 2006 13:33

Apart from the setlist the venue/crowd should be Wembley Arena with Argentinian fans.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 12, 2006 13:58

First of all, the crowd.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 12, 2006 14:15

the performance might count for something ... you know:
Keith Richards having carnal knowledge of the music right in front of everybody -
that kind of thing ...

Date: September 12, 2006 14:35

with sssoul wrote : "the performance might count for something ... you know"

Of course. But, atleast IMO and in my ears, the Stones performances are stable and solid enough (the exeptions prove the rule...) So, to me crowd is the imponderable factor. Personally, i prefer a show with a great crowd and with the Stones playing 8/10 than to a gig with a boring audience and the Stones performing 9/10. Maybe 10/10 or 7/10 makes my preferences different or more complicated...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 12, 2006 14:56

yeah, of course the crowd can make a big difference to our experience of a show,
as do the acoustics & sound; what i'm saying is that (to me) the performance means more than the set list - a lot more.
and of course the Stones normally perform just great - and then there are those nights when they go shining pure with it.

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: September 12, 2006 14:59

Angie
Miss You
Like A Rolling Stone
Sympathy For The Devil
You Got Me Rocking

Please these five at every show. @#$%& those obscure songs and all those many new ones, up to 5 in a show...

I bloody forgot Tumbling Dice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-12 21:07 by beast of burgk.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2006 15:09

Me.....Well I reckon it's just perfect when da Stones are on stage....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 12, 2006 15:25

Whenever I'm in attendance ...... LOL

Posted by: gia43 ()
Date: September 12, 2006 15:32

Jumpsuits! Lol
n general the perfect Stones Show is not really hard to happen:
The Stones playing! But my fantasy show is a club show...

Who the f*ck is Mick Jagger?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 12, 2006 16:19

MICK JAGGER, KEITH RICHARDS, CHARLIE WATTS, BILL WYMAN & RONNIE WOOD!!!!!

Date: September 12, 2006 16:39

with sssoul, i'm thinking you're right. Number#1 imponderable factor is acoustics and sound, ateast from where are you standing. Number #2 imponderable factor is crowd. I guess...

Date: September 12, 2006 16:45

hot stuff wrote: "MICK JAGGER, KEITH RICHARDS, CHARLIE WATTS, BILL WYMAN & RONNIE WOOD!!!!!"

Then i suppose since 1991 to you there aren't perfect shows! Just perfect for 80% -at the best...

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 12, 2006 17:04

When Keith is "on"...veteran show-goers know when he is and when he isn't. When he's on, there's nothing like it...

An uninhibited crowd is Number 2....

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 12, 2006 17:07

Them not playing You Got Me Rocking.

In all seriousness.. first - performance, venue, set list than crowd. The crowd can bring more energy to the show but I'll be rocking out either way and could care less as I am usually more focused on the band and the music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-12 17:08 by J-J-Flash.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 12, 2006 18:33

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and then there are those nights when they
> go shining pure with it.

Yeah, well said.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 12, 2006 20:26

For me at least a perfect show is where Keith and Ronnie spend more time playing well than posing.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: September 13, 2006 02:07

Yes, the crowd, meaning for me, NOT sitting next to fools who care more about getting wasted than in the Stones show! Next, not getting rained on in outdoor stadium shows, not freezing my butt off, not getting hassled by guards for having a camera, not getting pushed over or down the steps, not waiting 2 hours in line in the parking lot. That's just the start. Someone reading this sure would wonder WHY anyone would ever go to a concert! I even wonder on occasion. The perfect part occurs when Keith and Ronnie do NOT screw up all night, when the set list is inspiring, when I am CLOSE to the stage and can take a ton of great pictures, when Mick waves at ME! ( he actually did wave at me in Albany last Sept). Oh, and the show goes on for well over 2 hours, with only a few warhorses!

Posted by: Halistones1985 ()
Date: September 13, 2006 02:08

Definately the crowd, and the bigger the better. And in regards to crowds, For some reason no matter what event I've ever seen, nothing beats the vibe of the old wembley stadium. Shame it had to go sad smiley

Posted by: JM_Rocks_Stoned ()
Date: September 13, 2006 02:15

Yeah yeah he DID wave at me too !
And I was just thinking 'OH MY GOD' and started to cry - - -

Date: September 13, 2006 02:25

Sorry, just having a laugh!
Just thought it's funny if a guy waves at about 50.000 people and everybody in the first 20 rows is convinced he waved at them - obviously he is doing his job right and is worth the money and the membership - main thing is that you have fun and go home and fall asleep knowing that he did wave at you.
Hope you had a great show !

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: September 13, 2006 02:28

Jagger on stage,thats all we need,never seem him better than horsens,midnight rambler ,was the highligt ever

Date: September 13, 2006 02:31

Oh Yeah - Jagger on stage is all we need - as long as he waves at you - fu*k the guitars and drums - who needs them anyway ?
Have you seen the video on YourTube of Jagger dancing in the streets of NYC ? It's fantastic !

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: September 13, 2006 02:34

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apart from the setlist the venue/crowd should be
> Wembley Arena with Argentinian fans.

Now that would be insane ( in a positiv way). Ain`t sure I would survive that, but it would be a great way to end the lifesmiling smiley You mean Wembley Stadium?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 13, 2006 02:38

Ying - Yang, you're my thing - sometimes everything just fits perfectly.

Date: September 13, 2006 02:39

I would like to put my name on the list for that show as well - what a great way to end your life - true !

And it would have been a great way to turn Wembley into dust as well and then just build a new stadium - think it would have been much quicker than what they do now !

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: September 13, 2006 02:46

jagger is the show.period

Date: September 13, 2006 02:48

Yeah but I can wave hands too.period

We should have a contest.period

Posted by: gibb76 ()
Date: September 13, 2006 03:16

A perfect Stones show for me is having my brother tailgating with me and sitting next to each oterh for the show. I am going to Boston next Wednesday and he can't go because of work. He will be missed. We have bonded through the years thru the Stones. I am younger than he (4 years) and we still bond thru them today. We are both in our 30's now, but the Stones brought us closer in our teenage years.

Being with him is my perfect show!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1975
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home