Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bigger Bang vs. Steel Voodoo of Babylon
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 9, 2006 02:58

A year into it, I have to say that A Bigger Bang is far and away the best release of the post-Tatoo You era. It is not just "more of the same."

I think it stands apart as a distinguishing work. What do ya'll think?

Re: Bigger Bang vs. Steel Voodoo of Babylon
Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 9, 2006 03:10

BTB far and away since TY is the Best.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: September 9, 2006 03:16

Not a landmark recording but the best in the last 25 or so years. I actually do keep coming back to it. When I put on Bridges, Voodoo, SW or DW I skip at least half the album.

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: September 9, 2006 03:18

I still love A Bigger Bang.

And I like Voodoo Lounge much, too. But ABB is harder... and I like it harder now. Steel Wheels could have been a better album -> see other discussion. BTB is not homogenous.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: September 9, 2006 03:20

i agree bigger bang is the best out of them but voodoo lounge is pretty close for me

Posted by: valerie masters ()
Date: September 9, 2006 03:26

I have been listening to BTB and voodoo lounge for a couple of days at work non stop and like every stones album there is some great tracks on em, but for whatever reason at least to me, BTB is good and voodoo lounge is good but I gotta say A bigger bang makes me harder for longer! Stones are comin to canada far fucin out!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: September 9, 2006 03:37

can't say i agree - and i've been "can't saying" that for a while now. SW and VL are both superior!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 9, 2006 04:54

VL is superior.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 9, 2006 05:02

gimme BTB

Date: September 9, 2006 05:03

gimme shelter from BTB - with the exception of the ass-kickin Too Tight! (ok, flip the switch is pretty hot, too . . .)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 9, 2006 05:09

you need another snort, nik....

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: September 9, 2006 06:17

ABB & VL way above the others post Tatoo. Then B2B, Undercover, Steel & Dirty Work. I love ABB Whats Next?

Posted by: arg_stones ()
Date: September 9, 2006 06:43

i love the biggest bang, the last one...

[www.design42.com.ar]

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 9, 2006 07:34

I think ABB and VL are what I would call achievements and SW and BTB are simply good.

The songwriting seemed a little better on VL than on ABB but ABB has good songwriting too and sounds a lot better musically.

BTB had some really great songwriting but the album sounds a little overproduced.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 9, 2006 09:04

ABB good (40mins of classic stones even if sick produced and a bunch of crap)
VL fair (would be more than good if outtakes and bsides would be on it - and some crap out)
BTB fair
SW unbearable (even the acclaimed "alt and out takes - my least fav stones album)

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: September 9, 2006 09:32

I used to think VL was the best, but I think that B2B has aged and will continue to age much better.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 9, 2006 10:10

Best since VL, and VL was the best since Exile.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 9, 2006 11:02

B2B is by far the best. It's the most unique and doenst have the same basic songs that VL, SW and ABB have. It kicks all their asses. People just want the same thing over and over. That's why B2B is great, bc it's not what we exepcted. Makes things different and unexpected while still achieving greatness. Bowie and Madonna can do it, why can't the Stones?!? Saint of Me can take on ANY Stones song since 1981 and beat its ass.

Date: September 9, 2006 11:27

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VL was the best since Exile.

HUH?

Date: September 9, 2006 11:29

Yep.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 9, 2006 11:29

"Head-check, thread #1"

Date: September 9, 2006 11:32

Yeah. You go there mate.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 9, 2006 11:35

ABB is best but not a landmark. VL probobly has the best songs on it but is produced in such a boring way. SW good songs but recorded in a rush and in a too80's package.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: September 9, 2006 11:35

I know I'm almost alone with my opinion, but my favorite era is the time after "world war III", beginning with "Steel Wheels" (great, rocking numbers!).
"Voodoo Lounge" has good ideas, but they aren't fullfilled in my ears; YOu Got Me Rocking for example has such a hot beginning, but in the end it gets just boring with these never-endling "hey-hey"s.
"Bridges To Babylon" is one of my favorite releases because it's a perfect mixture of Stones classics like Low Down ("Start Me Up" riff!) or Flip The Switch, modern Stones as Gunface or Out Of COntrol, but also interesting very new influences ("Might Well As Get...") or "You Don't Have To Mean It". "Anybody seen My Baby" fits into the same category as "Angie".
And finally, "A Bigger Bang", one of the best, if not THE best Stones album. I love "Let It Bleed" or "Sticky Fingers", but what shall I say? "Rough Justice", a traditional burner in the beginning, "Look What The Cat Dragged In" shows, that they still are the greatest, fastest and youngest band in the world. "It WOn't Take Long" is the new "Sway" (speed, category), "Streets Of Love" is one of the best ballads I've ever heraed (I didn't like it too much until I heared it live) and "Rain Fall Down" is once again a typical Jagger-influenced transformation of a real Stones-song into a modern style! Perfect.
Ahhh, the four new ones of "40Licks" are too underrated; "Don't Stop" belongs to the classic style of Jagger/Richards songwriting and it worked good on stage. "Stealing My Heart" remembers me to songs like "Stupid Girl" because it has not the typical nervousity in it, nice to hear; "Keys To YOur Love" would be fine to hear it live, "Lossing My Touch" is ...ahhhmmm...bullshit!

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 9, 2006 16:28

Musically I really like all of them, but if I had to choose which album has the best sound, it would be Bridges To Babylon and Voodoo Lounge. Both have great powerfull sound, great production.

A Bigger Bang, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon... each are fantastic in their own way, to me!

The one thing I miss is I like some saxophone in their music, like on Tattoo... great great stuff! And where the hell is the bass left?? Since Bill left they burried the bass in the mix!!!

Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: September 9, 2006 17:10

I LOVE a bigger bang, i find that EVERY song is good (some more than others)and i dont cringe if any of the songs comes on when im playing it though and HAVE to skip it, with the other post tatoo you albums there are songs i skip

Each of the songs are distinct and sound different, a different character to each of the songs, and i think the tunes are catchier than on the other albums, and they ROCK!

However i agree with Muddyw and do miss the saxophone, and some sort of bass, there isnt even a bass solo in Rain Fall Down like when they do it live, but its a 9/10 for a Bigger Bang!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 9, 2006 22:45

to me , voodoo is the best post 81 album

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 10, 2006 03:23

BtB and ABB are very different from each other but they are a little better than Vl and SW in my oppinion, but all these albums have fine moments.BtB is very underrated.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: September 10, 2006 03:24

Undercover is without a doubt the best post-'81 Stones album. But A Bigger Bang is a pretty good album, athough i like it less now that I used to. Out of their post Dirty Work albums, B2B is the best and VL is the worst. IMO, VL is their most overrated album ever and second only to DW as their worst ever. And as various boots show, they could have made it into a classic that could've eclipsed SW, ABB, or even B2B.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-10 05:50 by it's_all_wrong.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: September 10, 2006 05:08

i never got into BtB that much,i love voodoo lounge and my fav on that is i go wild

a bigger bang,i like it because its the stones,my fav tracks are she saw me comming,back of my hand,streets of love,laugh i nearly died.
but somthing about the way mick sings on a bigger bang i dont really like,i prefer his singing on tattoo you, undercover and the albums that came out in the 70s.

Im not saying i dont like his singing,i just like the way he sang in the past much better.

do you know what i mean???

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2106
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home