Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:GP
Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: September 5, 2006 17:33

Does anyone know if the A&M recordings Gram did before his solo work (according to Hickory Wind, Gram checked out the masters himself in Fall of '71) ever surfaced?

He allegedly recorded White Line Fever, She Thinks I Still Care and a bunch of other stuff.

This, or any rare GP/Burritos would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Re: OT:GP
Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 5, 2006 18:47

Don't know if you're talking about the final Burrito recordings w/ Gram made after the 2nd FBB album, which were (mostly) covers, and the most purely countryish material with GP (unlike the visionary country/soul/psych/rock n roll of the FBB's 2 albums)...Much of this later material including the 2 you mentioned surfaced on posthumous sets, especially "Sleepless Nights" (76 outtakes lp, now on cd), "Best Of/Farther Along" ('89 cd) & some others. For my money, the best FBB set is the 2 cd "Hot Burritos! Anthology 1969 - 72" (A&M) which has far superior remastering (warmth, detail) to the UK cd of the 2 Gram/FBB albums. In addition to both of those albums, this set has the single "Train Song" issued in between albums & produced by Johnny Guitar Watson & Larry Williams (!!), plus 7 or 8 of those post-second album tracks, and even the 3rd FBB album - the first after Gram was fired and replaced by Rick Roberts, (who is finally scheduled to go on trial for forming the subversive 70s group Firefall) in place of GP, & 2 live tracks...Good liner notes too...

Date: September 5, 2006 19:15

I have all of those (and I agree that the Hot Burritos! comp is the best available - though I miss "Just Because" from the Farther Along compilation).

The stuff I'm talking about is 8-10 songs GP recorded with Terry Melcher at the board for an aborted solo album. Clarence White, Les Ball & Ry Cooder are all reported to have been band members and the songs recorded included:
White Line Fever, I Fall To Pieces, Dream Baby, She Thinks I Still Care (this according to the A&M recording log).

The story goes that Gram signed the masters out of the A&M library and they were never seen again.

Have you heard he new solo album re-issue box set? really quite fantastic - the outtakes will break your heart.
Also, the companion documentary is quite good (and features Keith!).

I'm on a bit of a GP binge right now and am trying my damndest to find all I can.

By the way, I love the much-maligned "Train Song" - I had forgotten Johnny "Guitar" Watson produced that. There's a pretty funny passage in Hickory Wind about that session - lots of booger sugar going around.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 5, 2006 22:11

I am very intrigued about these sessions w/ Ry, Clarence White, etc produced by Terry Melcher (another recent RIP), & would love to hear them...I do have the new box based on the 2 Warner bros solo albums, and it is beautifully produced. Also the gold disc "Live 1973"...For the early stuff, I also have the Sundazed label's "Other Side of This Life 1965 - 66", the same label's International Submarine Band remaster on vinyl and the picture sleeve repro of a 7" single...The expended edition of Byrds' Sweetheart Of the Rodeo - but not the 2 cd "Deluxe Edition" from a year or 2 ago. Is it worth buying if one has the expanded 2000 cd? I do recall being intrigued by a couple of ISB tracks (early 45) that I dont have, but it looked like a lot of multiple takes of the same songs on disc 2; the Burritos stuff I mentioned, and then the 2005 tribute dvd (produced by his daughter and with Keith & other musician admirers)....One thing about that good but slightly odd 2nd FBB album, despite Gram's soulful vocal, I always found their "Wild Horses" flawed by Michael Clarke's overly busy drumming (which is strange since with the Byrds Clarke could be a solid, understated and tasteful drummer, i.e. "Fifth Dimension," etc). Fave songs on GPOS "Sin City," "Wheels" "Hot Burrito 1 & 2", "Christine's Tune"-- and re the 2nd album, Bernie leadon's (what a name - pronounce like 'led'!) "God's Own Singer" beats the entire Eagles catalog in a mere 2:05. What do you think of the 2nd album? Also has sort of a weird sonic feel to it (maybe the mix?) I cant put a finger on. Another 70/71 outtake I think is very fine is "Green Green Grass Of Home"...

Date: September 5, 2006 22:50

Y'know what? I love the second album - I don't quite get why it gets such rough treatment (iuncluding from the Burritos themselves). I think Lazy Days and Older Guys are 2 of my favorite Burritos tracks, and Image Of me is killer.

The only thing on that Legacy Edition of Sweetheart that may make it worth adding to your collection (if you already have the expanded version) is the GP version of You Don't Miss Your Water (which is fantastic) and the Sub Band's Truck Drivin' Man (not to be confused with Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man - totally different song).

I also love the FBB version of Green Green Grass, great song, great reading of it. Sleepless Nights truly is a wonderful little compilation (and a heartbreaking song).

Another (fairly easy to find) Gram curio is COsmic American Music. It's home-recorded (mostly acoustic) rehearsals from right before GP. The standout tracks for me are "Ain't No Beatle, Ain't No Rolling Stone", "Folsom Prison (w/Byron Berline)", "Kentucky Blue" and "Daddy's Fiddle". Not the most listener-friendly as far as audio quality, but lots of fun.

Posted by: DE VULLUSBAND ()
Date: September 6, 2006 00:05

After listening to the alternate takes from GP & Grievous Angel (3th CD of the newly Complete Reprise Sessions box) I can only agree that these outtakes were not used on the original albums. Gram's voice is (a little bit) unsure now and then...... Never mind teenspirit farts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2378
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home