Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: whats going on in Glasgow?
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 26, 2006 00:42

19 songs means nothing....there were 19 songs that were not very good from the 1st Twickenham show....Hope Glasgow was much better.

JR

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 26, 2006 00:55

Welcome to the 19 song era.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 26, 2006 00:59

stone-relics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 19 songs means nothing....there were 19 songs that
> were not very good from the 1st Twickenham
> show....Hope Glasgow was much better.
>

all 19 were not very good? Including Sway? I disagree with that.

they were doing 19 songs in europe during the 40 licks tour.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:05

Mick doesn't mind dropping one song from the setlist, but if people asked for a 5% refund he'd scream bloody murder. Or more likely just laugh in their faces and say no.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:10

they should put Sway in a time capsule, and NEVER open it again. The current live renditions are REALLY bad. Now I know why they have never done it before this tour, and I wish they hadnt. JMHO

JR

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:11

I forget who it was but a year ago when the tour started someone posted.

They will start the tour with 22 or 23 songs and by the time they wrap up in Europe they will be down to 19. Good Call.

WE deserve More!!!!!

Posted by: turd ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:13

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-26 01:26 by turd.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:21

I'm happy they pulled Sway out, but it's true that Mick doesn't sing it today with the same intesity...the same urgentcy..the passion he did on SF.

And flubs the lyrics everytime.

However it's better then having never played it live at all.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:42

just back from the Glasgow gig. It was awesome. The emotion was palpable. Keith wore a cap Id never seen before and the cheers went up every time he was close up on the main screen. He kept hunkering close to Ronnie as they jammed the life out of the songs we all know and love. I met Gazza briefly in the Solid Rock beforehand - hope you had a good time my friend!
This was my second gig of the tour. I saw them in St Louis back at the end of January. My wife is American. We saw them on her patch then, and tonight we saw them on mine. I love the Stones for that!!
I hate when folks slag gigs for certain setlists or Ronnies playing....tonight was special. It slipped between the cracks. The gig lived beyond the world of criticism. When Keith sang "Slippin away", the petty criticisms seemed a million miles away.
Ive never felt so emotional about a gig in my life. Even if Satisfaction was played without the riff, my balance was restored at the end when Keith just grinned and peeled of the greatest solo!

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:50

I'm happy for everyone in the UK. It seems like the Stones keep getting better every night over there. Inever knew they were actually that bad when they started this tour? I guess they climb to greater height on this tour in the UK,never seen before,unreal you lucky sods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-26 01:50 by stonesfrk.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:54

letitloose Wrote:
> just back from the Glasgow gig. It was awesome.
> The emotion was palpable. Keith wore a cap Id
> never seen before and the cheers went up every
> time he was close up on the main screen. He kept
> hunkering close to Ronnie as they jammed the life
> out of the songs we all know and love. I met Gazza
> briefly in the Solid Rock beforehand - hope you
> had a good time my friend!
> This was my second gig of the tour. I saw them in
> St Louis back at the end of January. My wife is
> American. We saw them on her patch then, and
> tonight we saw them on mine. I love the Stones for
> that!
> I hate when folks slag gigs for certain setlists
> or Ronnies playing....tonight was special. It
> slipped between the cracks. The gig lived beyond
> the world of criticism. When Keith sang "Slippin
> away", the petty criticisms seemed a million miles
> away.
> Ive never felt so emotional about a gig in my
> life. Even if Satisfaction was played without the
> riff, my balance was restored at the end when
> Keith just grinned and peeled of the greatest
> solo!

How is satisfaction played without the riff?

Date: August 26, 2006 02:02

It was just a mixing disaster. Its funny, cause when I saw em in St Louis they totally screwed up JJF. This time round the only thing we could hear for most of Satisfaction was bass and drums. Still great gigs tho!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 26, 2006 02:18

19 songs with decent ticket prices is a thing, 19 songs with the most expensive tickets in the world is other thing.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 26, 2006 02:27

It was the coldest night of the summer for me, flying in from "warm" Norway into "cold" and rainy Glasgow. A week or so ago I had +40 C in Porto and Spain. But who cares... When it is rain on show day they add "Rain Fall Down" to the setlist. Safe and sure as the bank. And I love it! Lisa is low key these days may be that is why they don't do Night Time. I wish they could do Gimme Shelter on emore time on day by the way. It's like oxygen to me. Need it. And SFM. Anyway. On with the show...

This was the place Keith cut his finger 16 years ago, and they had to rechedule the following three shows. For me it was sort of return to old territory of 1990, when I saw them 10 times in UK, and at Hampton Park Glasgow of course, even if I was in the city on the last tour as well - SECC...

Sorry for some reason I just can't get to the point... the actual show tonight. Too many memories I guess, and to much to tell...

Cold shows are always special. They are all dressed up like polar bears, Ronnie is freezing more than anyone else, Keith had a cap tonight, Charlie seemed to be warm and comfortable in his white T-shirt, while Mick was on the edge of another laryngitis outbreak as he was blowing his nose, drinking water, havinmg no vocal power on the B-stage until he got rid of the headset and so on.

Sway was great. But the Twickenham-1 version was probably a version to remember and keep forever. Hard to top it. Ruby Tuesday great as well. Lots of technical troubles on the B-stage. Ronnie getting a cable hook-up on Rough Justice to get his guitar to work. Keith loosing out on Start Me Up monitor wise and just handing over trhe guitar to Pierre, then giving up playing, and facing Charlie doing some dance steps and hands up instead. Mick ripped off his headset microphone and finally had power on Start Me Up.

First time on this tour i.e. in 91 shows they had only two songs after the B-stage and before the encore, but I like it that way. B-stage should be close to the end show wise.

Guitars. Guitars... Never have the mixes been better. Never have they been more up-front in the sound. I spend most bof the show watching the two great guitar players, what they do, their great sounds and moves, and this vocalist running around at all times I keep another eye for him. Luckily Charlie never moves so he is where I want to see him at all times. Yes. It was a great show and I don't care how cols it is as long as they play like they did tonight in Glasgow!

Bjornulf

Date: August 26, 2006 02:34

I forgot to add my comment about the number ... of songs. If you think 19 is a bad number then I am sure you can save your money and buy 20 or so pints of beer instead. Same cost more or less. Or go see Garth Brooks or anyone else doing 30 songs cheap. But your mind will not be the same. When you are old and your grandchildren ask you about the Stones, you can tell them they rocked and they played the 19 greatest songs in Glasgow that night.

Bjornulf

Date: August 26, 2006 02:34

Well said BV, it wasnt technically perfect but emotionally, it was just beautiful. I loved it. Especially Ruby Tuesday and Keefs Slippin away. Sublime. I'll never forget it

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 26, 2006 02:58

Many thanks to LetitLoose and BV for their wonderful impressions of the Glasgow gig.

When you're melting in the sun of Los Angeles and wishing you were in freezing Glasgow, it's great to get the feedback.

I've seen the Stones be brilliant many times but always the emotion counted more than technique...for me anyway. Musicians and their technique are ever at the mercy of the sound.

The vast majority of us could never have the guts or the talent to go out and play one of these big stadium gigs.

And it's worth pointing out that Mick and Charlie have long been the "you can count on them" core of this band in live performance. They're worth every penny, and I say that even after I flew to France on a non-refundable ticket for the Paris gig that didn't happen on June 6.

Date: August 26, 2006 03:15

stonesrule Wrote:
> Many thanks to LetitLoose and BV for their
> wonderful impressions of the Glasgow gig.
>
> When you're melting in the sun of Los Angeles and
> wishing you were in freezing Glasgow, it's great
> to get the feedback.
>
> I've seen the Stones be brilliant many times but
> always the emotion counted more than
> technique...for me anyway. Musicians and their
> technique are ever at the mercy of the sound.
>
> The vast majority of us could never have the guts

Tonight was special. It rained all day in Glasgow, but brightened up just in time. Keith prowled the stage like a leopard. Every time the camera zoomed in on him the crowd went mental. Theres something untangtible about the Stones hitting your home city. The whole place had an amazing vibe. Taxi drivers were doing great business, so were bars and (probably brothels!). Its like the circus has come to town. As I write this I wonder where they are staying here. Id like to think Keith has just sunk a wee voddy and is kicking Ronnies ass at snooker. When you grow up listening to these guys, you cant imagine life without em. heres to the next one !

> or the talent to go out and play one of these big
> stadium gigs.
>
> And it's worth pointing out that Mick and Charlie
> have long been the "you can count on them" core of
> this band in live performance. They're worth
> every penny, and I say that even after I flew to
> France on a non-refundable ticket for the Paris
> gig that didn't happen on June 6.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 26, 2006 05:49

great parties before, during and after. The black eye was undeserved, but very "Glasgow Chic". It's late. I had bad sound where I was standing, but this is not a view shared by my friends standing close! Glad you all enjoyed your visit and the gig. PS it wasn't me that got the black eye! Nor Gary neither

Posted by: phd ()
Date: August 26, 2006 06:58

I wish I were there. Thanks BV and RO for those exiting reports. IORR is unamatchable.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: August 26, 2006 07:01

Agree with BV and some more about GS and SFM.

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: August 26, 2006 10:50

The Herald, Saturday august 26th edition :

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: August 26, 2006 11:04

Nice comments BV, same here with GS SFM.
Screw the setlist whingers, they can't have the band in their hearts, it's their loss.

Oily.

Posted by: j442211 ()
Date: August 26, 2006 11:33

No setlist whinging from me, last night. It was MAGNIFICENT!!! I'd seen the band in Munich a few weeks ago and came away feeling a bit flat - like I'd just seen a band going through the motions. But last night was very different. Great set list (even with fewer songs), and a fantastic atmosphere. OK, the sound wasn't that hot and I wouldn't want to be a guitar technician after the way the guitars and monitors on the B-stage kept dropping off - boy, was Keef grumpy - but it was a great, great show.

And it was all-seater. Great idea, Honestly! You don't have to turn up 5 hours early, you can sit through the support act, you've enough room to dance when the show proper starts AND you've something to stand on when they're on the B-stage.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 26, 2006 11:51

19 or 20? Who cares? I don't go to a rock concert to count songs. I suppose those poor people from, let's say Brusells 73, feel themselves fooled for having only 15 songs or something.

Keith has a beer belly nowadays. That's what I reckoned at Twicks 2, by the way.

- Doxa

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: August 26, 2006 12:24

I was able to read the plexiglass set list. On it it appeared that YCAGWYW was acually going to be the last song of the main set!

The lady who was marking the list (3 or 4 times) on the screen round Charlie clearly wrote....

17. Brown Sugar
18. Can`t Always Get

Leave Stage

19. Satisfaction

I thought this was strange... so when the band left after BS you can imagine my surprise when they returned to play YCAGWYW.

Another thing I remember is at the the end of Live With Me the band fell apart and missed the cue for the end of the song. MJ seemed to find this highly amusing.
This might be omitted from the BBc broadcast...if not you`ll hear what I mean.

Date: August 26, 2006 13:11

Yes that is true. They were supposed to play Can't Always Get before they left the stage. But they do change things around at times, and having CAG as the first encore is fine with me.

Bjornulf

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 26, 2006 13:39

Thanks for the reviews. Sounds like a really good show.

Personally I would take 19 songs over 20 any day as long as a certain band member is playing in key.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: August 26, 2006 14:13

From The Daily Record

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-26 14:20 by GuessWho.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: August 26, 2006 14:17

Well said BV. Hampden rocked last night.I thought Ronnie was on top form, Jagger was really up for the show, as always in Glasgow,and Keith was Keith, aaahh.No problems with mix/sound from B4.
Please, please ,please somebody confirm Euro dates next summer.Perhaps Teleblaster can explain a "Glasgow Kiss".Dice was fabulous tonight.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home