Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chuck on sound, rehearsing and set lists...
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 21, 2006 21:08

"One thing to note during this portion of the tour is that here in Europe the doors to the venues usually open much earlier than they do in other parts of the world…sometimes as early as 2pm. This makes it impractical to do sound checks, as we’d have to be at the gig very early…before the doors open…to get it done. This makes it difficult to run over songs that we might need to review, which we usually do at sound checks. The alternative is to set a small bit of equipment up in our backstage area…usually in Keith’s room or in the Snooker room so that we can go over things. We’ve been doing this more and more, and it really helps to have this setup available. Regrettably, though…it’s usually not enough time to rehearse as much as some of us would like…and sometimes Mick doesn’t have time to join in. So mostly it’s for review and not for “deep” rehearsals. But I’m going to try and push for a bit more of it so we can vary our set list more. Some of us are getting a bit antsy and want to be more adventurous.
The Amsterdam Arena is not known for a great sound, but our house engineer Dave Natele did an admirable job according to the reports after the show."

(From the Amsterdam diary at www.chuckleavell.com).
That's a clear respons to critical questions, I'd say.

Re: Chuck on sound, rehearsing and set lists...
Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: August 21, 2006 21:21

Not a great sound in Amsterdam, that's true. But it makes sense to move around in search of a better sound. This time I was unhappy with the sound in the FOS area at Ronnie's side, while the previous time it was really much better!

Let it rock!

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: August 21, 2006 21:49

Thanks for posting that Limbostone. It's real interesting to see how Chuck wants to be more adventurous with the setlists, but since Milan, nothing new has been introduced. It's easy to see why from Chuck's diary. I know he had also posted that they did not try out as many new songs as he wanted in those 3 days of rehearsal in Milan. Under My Thumb was only played on that 1 night in Milan and maybe they have not played it since then because they have not had the time to try to perfect it to their satisfaction before playing it again.

Date: August 22, 2006 02:04

How many excuses are they going to come up with?If it was a big priority,they could make it happen.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 22, 2006 03:02

What does he mean that "sometimes Mick doesn't have time to join in"?? He should bloody well MAKE the time at the rate we are all paying him!!

Posted by: spareparts ()
Date: August 22, 2006 03:08

I like Chuck's direct and honest comments. THe reality is it's probably very difficult ot get some serious rehearsals in in the midst of a tour with the needed rest and distractions. The time to workout songs is before the tour and I think they were a little rushed this time arounds with the album. L ike what they're doing though, Maybe one more ABB sone would make it perfect. LMDS would work.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: August 22, 2006 03:36

Who the @#$%& is Mick Jagger?

Date: August 22, 2006 05:23

There are 24 hours in a day minus two hours on stage = 22 hours left plus no back to back shows and no more two show days.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 22, 2006 09:55

Doesn't it seem a bit unprofessional to start a Tour of Europe without proper rehearsals and enough time to try out a few new songs?

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 22, 2006 10:50

They have all of the time in the world to rehearse with no excuses. They should have 100 songs down pat that they should be able to nail every night. After all, aren't the Stones suppose to be the greatest rock and roll band in the world?

Posting a Wish List prior to the tour was a BAD idea.

P.S. Chuck- Have the Boys dump " Miss You" and "HTW" or I'm gonna scream!!.

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: August 22, 2006 21:20

The TRUTH is they are mainly out on tour for the money, not to give hardcore fans an orgasm.

Sad but true... we'll probably never get LMDS, LIND or old gems like Let It Loose. They are to lazy to invent new things. Jagger may have not enough time (hahaha), but he has no problem to take all the new millions on every time around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-22 21:23 by beast of burgk.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 22, 2006 22:25

Midnight Toker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have all of the time in the world to rehearse
> with no excuses. They should have 100 songs down
> pat that they should be able to nail every night.
> After all, aren't the Stones suppose to be the
> greatest rock and roll band in the world?
>

My band do a 2 & half hour set with a few extras thrown in. We rehearse every week for 3 hrs and we are constantly throwing new numbers in. Some that we've never even tried before and usually within 1 run thru we know if it's any good or not. We still fcuk up the occaisional song...(harmonies off key, bum chord changes..usual stuff)

What you've got to take into consideration is that we play as a 4 piece, The Stones have up to 13 musicians on stage and that is really difficult to rehearse that number of people especially during a tour when you need to find a venue to rehearse, that is secure and where you can sit down for 4/5 hrs and run thru 3/4 songs to get them down pat.

NickB

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: August 23, 2006 10:50

Two (!) new songs left in the set last night. Rain Fall Down is very welcome, interesting setlist I must admit. But nevertheless: WHY THIS?

WHY IS THIS GREATEST HITS SPECTACLE VALLED BIGGER BANG IF THEY'RE NOW DOWN TO PERFORM EVERY 6TH OR 9TH OUT OF THE 18 NEW TRACKS???

Why did they RECORD this great CD???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home