Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
what guitar should i buy?
Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: August 18, 2006 02:13

Ive decided to finnaly learn to play. but i just been listening to music. so i dont now anything about guitars. I want an acostic rock and blues guitar with steel strings. no begginers nylon. the store have a fender AT 40 or if it was AT60 on sale for 140euro. could that be something? Is there something specially i should look up. it sounds cheep so iam careful. Help me you guys now everything,by the way whts open-g?

Re: what guitar should i buy?
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 18, 2006 02:19

Get a Japanese Fender Telecaster to start....then work up to the Made in the USA one.

Good luck!

JR

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: August 18, 2006 02:20

open g is "keith`s tuning": from high to low

d
h
g
d
g
(d)

with cheap fender guitars , i would say be careful, but i can recommend you the following [cgi.ebay.de]
great guitar,fine quality,low price or you look at some ibanez ,but i recommend you the mentioned one. it is built by the newcomer label called johnson

it`s very easy to play on this guitar and it sound so incredible, comes with martin strings, which are in my opinion the best ones for acoustic

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-18 02:22 by TeleK.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 18, 2006 02:21

I think you should get an acoustic steel string guitar first. Otherwise you might end up as soft-handed guitarist.You'll have to use more power to make it sound right on an acoustic one...that's the best way to start.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 18, 2006 02:31

And one more thing....you should never buy the very cheap guitars (of course there are some bad expensive one too), because after a short while, you'd really want an upgrade, and then you got 2 guitars.

Date: August 18, 2006 02:34

in the mean time ,chinese and koreans have learned to built very good guitars for a low price...and you can not start playing with a gibson or guild or something like this.you have tro upgrade withg guitars by playing for years...thats my opinion

Date: August 18, 2006 02:35

the one i was looking at was a fender built in china i think. Martin strings ok thanks,maybe i could by them if it not comes with the guitar? It had cost 240euro before and now 140,thanks guys,if you got any more info about the neck or the wood or something so please tell me. Iwill check if they got that johnson all ibanez werw very expensive.

Date: August 18, 2006 02:40

is it on the fender homepage?
[www.fender.com]

can`t find the guitar

Date: August 18, 2006 02:40

TeleK-so you think that the cheep chinese fender is a good enough starter?
I just want an easy playing with exepteble quality, and it shold sounds ROCK

Date: August 18, 2006 02:46

if you like this guitar - if you have a good handling with this guitar - buy it
i recommend you,have a look at the tuners, if they are working fine .
if you want a "better" one sometime (after you had made some experiences with playing) buy another one. if you will have problems with playing or you are no longer interested in playing, you didn`t spend a lot of money on a thing you didn_`t need.

-where do you come from?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-18 02:47 by TeleK.

Date: August 18, 2006 03:01

TeleK-iam from sweden,no tickets for horsens but i will take a trip there anyway, bergen its nearer but norway is boring comparing to denmark. What about the tuners,isnt that someting thats sows after a while if its keeping the tunning? idont know nothing,but i got spare time and gonna learn to play,for me and and kids at least

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 18, 2006 03:01

Check out Sunset Music in Boise, Idaho

They can take care of whatever your needs are from exotic customs to entry level equipment and ship everywhere in the world.

[www.sunsetmusic.biz]

Date: August 18, 2006 03:29

thnks 1cdog,but iwont to feel it,so i think i buy it at my local store but my wonder is if i should go for a more expensive one Is there any differens in the wood or if i do as TeleK sad go for martin string.I dont need the most exlusive one.I dont wont a skoda car or cant by a ferrari I drive i saab.Ijust need i little more info about the wood quality,and what about plektrum. give my some more info if you want,i think ill go for the fender the original price was 240euro and i know that not much for a guitar but now on sale 140 eoru.it enough for me,finnaly how do i check the tuners?
Youre the best my friends.THANKS

Date: August 18, 2006 03:36

you can check the tuners by playing some minutes: if the strings are still in tune, then i`s fine. btw you can always replace the tuners .

Date: August 18, 2006 03:43

that simple . thanks TeleK.
Where you from? please chek my new topic, then i wont bother yuo guys no more with this question, one more thing my right hand s doing ok,but not my left,practice or?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 18, 2006 03:56

>>I want an acostic rock and blues guitar with steel strings. no begginers nylon. <<

You might want a Steel strung guitar - but you can't say classical nylon strung are for beginners!
thats totally wrong.
Even good ole' Keef gets them up on stage for Angie & Streets Of Love and I dunno what - careful there - it's not a kids guitar.
Not to mention all spanish classic guitar heroes - whatever you get, remember its only the kid that treats them like a kids guitar.

Date: August 18, 2006 03:56

no problem...you are welcome nelson

Date: August 18, 2006 04:21

open-g-You see iam no expert on this,ive always thougt that nylon were for kids or the salvaiten army. Thanks for telling,iam all ears,but i wont the guitar tomorrow, iam going to a small cottige in the forest ,smoking and playing for the birds. seriusly open-g i trust everyone here,its cheep,feels good,only thing that i woner over is that the giutar is built in china,is that bad,but it still a fender.Should put in a another 100eoro or what,but i cant afford that im going to horenes too and the kids are ruin me.if not one of you dont think i should by it ,i wont,i trust you,adervise i do it.Theres gonna be sister morphine in the forrest this weekwnd

Date: August 18, 2006 04:36

If it feels good, and sounds good - then you're good to go.
dosn't matter if it was built in China or Rumania or even if it's an Alien.
don't go by the name of the guitar, go by the sound and the feel of the instrument.
...and carefull with sister M. in the forrest - Oo

Date: August 18, 2006 04:47

Its the song Sister m,iwill practice,for my self it tranqulaizer in case of need, i cant drink anymore my body couldtn stand it after 20 on years of hevely drinking. Thanks again i will be at the music store at 10,00am ,done that before but it was outside the liquer store

Date: August 18, 2006 05:14

Allright - I hear ya - playing Sister M should soothe you and keep you away from liquor stores.
The Am - Am7 should indicate a nice guitar - if it sounds good.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: August 18, 2006 05:50

[www.officialtvwebsite.com]

Or

[www.mguitar.com]

Or somewhere in between

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: August 18, 2006 07:39

Well it all depends how much you can spend. I'm gonna advise you to do what I did cause now my first Guitar is worth many thousands of dollars (Les Paul, It's put away, I use the SG and Fenders now). First go to the king of music stores that started in Los Angeles in the late 60's or early 70's (they even had a giant poster from the 70's signed by all the Stones) [www.guitarcenter.com] and check out the Gibsons and Fenders. I recommend a Gibson Les Paul AND a Fender Stratocaster. I also have a black Gibson SG (if you like the guitar sound on AC/DC BACK IN BLACK or the Stones when Mick Taylor just joined (he switched to a Les Paul by 1972, maybe sooner) then get the SG also later on. The sound between a Gibson and a Fender is massive. As far as amps I'd go for Marshall (A more hard rock sound) or Fender (Dylan, A lot of bands). Get the Club size amp, not a big stack. I paid $500.00 or $600.00 for my amp - it's about knee high. You buy quality stuff and you can always sell it later for a good price. Once you learn how to play you can get into the more unusual equipment but stick with the proven standards at first. Good Luck, MB

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: August 18, 2006 08:23

If I could do it all over again, I would buy a quality guitar straight away. It saves money!!! I went through so many guitars that left me wanting when I thought "I'm not a great player, I can do with a cheap guitar". Not advisable.
Even if you give up playing, an expensive guitar is sellable, and in most cases it's worth increases in time.
IMHO one can't check the tuners by playing for a few minutes, even if they were good, the strings could go out of tune if they've only just been changed. Also, bad tuners might keep the strings in tune when the guitar's new, but in time the inferior metal parts begin to wear.
The pick-up's on the cheaper models sound cheap as a rule. Naturally these (and the tuners) can be replaced, but then it costs, especially if you can't remodel yourself.
A good, cheaper, option for a Gibson (LP) would be a Tokai, quality parts all the way. (I'm not endorsing, I own a Gibson). While it's not exactly a budget guitar, it's still a LOT cheaper than a LP Standard.
Tele's, unfortunately, don't have a great cheaper alternative. That sound we love them for can only be gotten from a decent US-made Tele (the Mex ones have that metal part problem).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-18 08:26 by Child Of Clay.

Date: August 18, 2006 12:28

he is looking for an acoustic guitar, not an electric guitarĀ°!

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: August 18, 2006 12:44

sure, but I think this thread expanded ages ago... smiling smiley
for an acoustic I'd try to find something with low action, especially if I'd intend to play some Stones songs. Yamaha has decent ones, more affordable than your Martins and Taylors for sure. Just hate that Yamaha-logo, like you're buying a radio or something! Just kiddin'...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-18 12:47 by Child Of Clay.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: August 18, 2006 12:57

Go to Chelsea Guitars in NY, next to the Chelsea Hotel. (23rd between 8th and 9th - I think) Run by a very nice man who delivers to everyone in the business. And he takes back used stuff and you can make a bargain. Also at Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, a heaven for everyone who's into good guitars, mandolins, banjos. And a fantastic staff. Keith's been there, and later went down to Anabell's - nice bar. Why not follow in his footsteps?!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 18, 2006 18:42

Go for a steel string acoustic and get the best you can afford. Try to get one that is all solid timbers (i.e., not laminated back and sides) and it will improve with age. A known name like Gibson holds its value well should you get fed up and decide to sell. Don't spend money on fancy inlay, etc., just get a good quality basic guitar and it will last for years (I played my first Gibson acoustic for over 20 years). Once you've got the basic technique down you can start thinking about other guitars if you want. A cheap acoustic, on the other hand, is a false economy - it won't sound as good, feel as good or get a good price if you sell it on. Unless you know guitars well(or have a friend to advise you) I would recommend you buy your guitar new from a reputable dealer - the second hand guitar market is fascinating, but risky.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 18, 2006 18:46

TeleK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> d
> h
> g
> d
> g
> (d)

h?

Date: August 18, 2006 19:05

Lizard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TeleK Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > d
> > h
> > g
> > d
> > g
> > (d)
>
> h?

Yes in german the b string is called h - I dunno why and it doesn't make sense.
probably just to confuse people^^

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home