Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

bands mixed up in hair metal
Date: August 15, 2006 06:27

i was just thinking that there are some bands who somehow got all mixed up with the term hair metal and got lumped into those kind of bands who were like poison,motley crue and warrant.

hanoi rocks-started the whole kinda glam 80's thing but were more a like new yorks doll or t-rex. frontman michael monroe was one of the best front men of the 80's and they hugely influenced guns n roses.

great white-other than a COVER song "once bitten twice shy", they played straight up blues based zeppelin rock. hell the singer mark russell did the most straight on robert plant impression ever when they did a whole zeppelin concert as tribute to their heros.

l.a. guns-guitraist had shrt hair for one. they wore all black leather and rode harleys. sounded a lot like guns n roses.

guns n roses-mean l.a, hard rock. nothing glam about them

jetboy-had a member of hanoi rocks in it and singer had a mowhawk.

tesla-band wore blue jeans and t-shirts and no makeup. they also started the big acustic trend that started at the early 90's.

extreme-played funk, rock and acustic ballad. singer went on to front van halen and guitarist nuno bettencourt is a genioous and now is a solo artist and teacher of music

saigon kick-not even close to sounding sleazy. beatlesque harmonies over metal except a ballad or two.

quiet riot-formed in the 70's with randy rhodes of ozzy fame and later rudy sarzo of ozzy and whitesnake fame. by the time the 80's rolled around only singer dubrow and bassist sarzo were still they. more metal sounding than most hair bands.

twisted sister-formed in 1976 officially as they are seen now. first 3 albums were straight metal and they toured with motorhead a lot because lemmy loved them. too bad for 3 commical videos although they ballad "the price" is the best song about paying your dues to be a rocker ever.

white lion-no songs about banging chicks or drugs. donated proceeds from the single "when the children cry" to help homeless children and donated proceeds from the single "little fighter" to help cancer research and victims. guitarist was touted as the next van halen. bassist went on to play with black label society and now is in megadeth. singer mike tramp formed freak of nature that was more hard than white lion and now has a solo career thats mostly acustic.

whitesnake-although more polished and pop in the 80's they were straight blues rock with one of the best singers of that time david coverdale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-15 06:29 by keefriffhard4life.

Re: bands mixed up in hair metal
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 15, 2006 07:20

Andy Warhol said, "Heavy Metal is the professional wrestling of music."

Date: August 15, 2006 07:23

Carnaby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Andy Warhol said, "Heavy Metal is the professional
> wrestling of music."

and all andy warhol did was take pictures of or paint single objects and looked like a nerd.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: August 15, 2006 09:25

there are many fans of Jazz and Classical Music who would say all Rock is wrestling of music...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 15, 2006 09:46

Just bought a Great White live CD from Walmart with them doing all Zeppelin cover tunes for only $4. Probably sing Zep better than the actual band! Rock Me is one of my favorite songs from any band.

LA Guns were a good band, guitarist Traci Guns is the Guns from G'n'R. Saw them open for AC/DC in 91.

Original Whitesnake was alot more blues oriented than the 80's versions. I would say they were a hair metal band, especially in 87. Cozy Powell was one of my favorite drummers and current drummer Tommy Aldridge is awesome.

Never liked White Lion but they do a great version of Radar Love. Too many "White" bands in the 80's - Whitesnake, White Lion, White Tiger...

TESLA 5 Man Acoustical Jam - first unplugged album and a few good cover tunes on there including Mothers Little Helper, We Can Work It Out/Signs, and Lodi. I saw them in concert a couple different times opening for other bands, although I can't remember who, perhaps Aerosmith and Motley.

It's amazing how most of the bands just died off once the Seattle grunge sound happened in the early 90's.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 15, 2006 10:14

keefriffhard4life Wrote:
> Carnaby Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Andy Warhol said, "Heavy Metal is the
> professional
> > wrestling of music."
>
>
> and all andy warhol did was take pictures of or
> paint single objects and looked like a nerd.

I use to call him the Soupcan Gay

Date: August 15, 2006 10:21

DGA35 Wrote:
> Just bought a Great White live CD from Walmart
> with them doing all Zeppelin cover tunes for only
> $4. Probably sing Zep better than the actual
> band! Rock Me is one of my favorite songs from
> any band.
>
> LA Guns were a good band, guitarist Traci Guns is
> the Guns from G'n'R. Saw them open for AC/DC in
> 91.
>
> Original Whitesnake was alot more blues oriented
> than the 80's versions. I would say they were a
> hair metal band, especially in 87. Cozy Powell
> was one of my favorite drummers and current
> drummer Tommy Aldridge is awesome.
>
> Never liked White Lion but they do a great version
> of Radar Love. Too many "White" bands in the 80's
> - Whitesnake, White Lion, White Tiger...
>
> TESLA 5 Man Acoustical Jam - first unplugged album
> and a few good cover tunes on there including
> Mothers Little Helper, We Can Work It Out/Signs,
> and Lodi. I saw them in concert a couple
> different times opening for other bands, although
> I can't remember who, perhaps Aerosmith and
> Motley.
>
> It's amazing how most of the bands just died off
> once the Seattle grunge sound happened in the
> early 90's.

thank you for adding insightful comments to my thread. every one else on thise board goes those bands sound nothing like the stones they suck. wow what a view to have. at least you gave them a try and if you didn't like them made a decent comment as to why. hearing a single on the radio isn't giving a band a try. how many people purchased stay hungry by twisted sister afte seeing the video or hearing we're not gonna take it only to find the rest of the album minus the other two singles were totally different. singles are commercial songs thats why they are singles. release i song saying we're not gonna take it anymore or the ones that has dee snider yelling you're gonna burn in hell or you're an smf(sick mutha fucka). go to limewire and check out a few morw white lion songs and then maybe a song by freak of nature and a few mike tramp solo songs. each thing sounds way different and except for the singing you'll go is that written by the same guy. you're right about great white robert plant sounds like shit now singing. and i knew traci guns was in guns n roses.
white lion songs to check out-wait, little fighter, broken heart, cry for freedom, lights and thunder, tell me, farewell

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 15, 2006 21:56

Hi Keefriff. I like alot of the hard rock/metal bands in the 80's but I was more into the British bands, Priest, Maiden, Leppard, Motorhead,etc. but the Stones, VH and AC/DC were my favorites then and still are today.
Apart from seeing numerous videos, I wasn't into alot of the LA bands like Ratt, Warrant, etc.
I recall back in Spring/Summer of 87 when all of these metal bands dominated the billboard charts. Whitesnake, Ozzy, Maiden, Motley, Bon Jovi and a few others were all in the top 20 and Rolling Stone magazine did a feature on the metal genre.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 15, 2006 22:07

What about King's X..

Also you can throw in early Def Leppard when they had their pure hard rock sound.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 16, 2006 00:53

When I saw the title of this thread, the first band I thought of was Hanoi. Good job, Riffhard!

One band that I lumped in with hair metal back in the '80s was Cheap Trick, just based on "The Flame" and "Tonight It's You". But I was young and stupid and soon saw the error of my ways.

It's funny, though - back in high school I'd classify bands by the groups of kids who listened to them. So basically, if the rocker kids listened to Van Halen and Poison, I'd lump them all together as basically "crap listened to by the kids who like to kick my '60s and punk-loving ass".

Of course, I also had to put up with a ton of Depeche Mode and Sinead O'Connor, just because that was what all the cute girls were digging at the time.

My point? I'm glad high school is over.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: August 16, 2006 02:46

keefriffard. you have brought back some BAD memories there. cheers yawning smiley(

Date: August 16, 2006 06:27

Hound Dog Wrote:
> What about King's X..
>
> Also you can throw in early Def Leppard when they
> had their pure hard rock sound.

i wanted to put def leppard in there but after '83 they were pretty weak. i do enjoy all there music but after '83 i do consider them hair metal. i never really thought of king's x as hair metal either. i love the album gretchen goes to nebraska or something close to that title.

Date: August 16, 2006 06:31

JuanTCB Wrote:
> When I saw the title of this thread, the first
> band I thought of was Hanoi. Good job, Riffhard!
>
> One band that I lumped in with hair metal back in
> the '80s was Cheap Trick, just based on "The
> Flame" and "Tonight It's You". But I was young
> and stupid and soon saw the error of my ways.
>
> It's funny, though - back in high school I'd
> classify bands by the groups of kids who listened
> to them. So basically, if the rocker kids
> listened to Van Halen and Poison, I'd lump them
> all together as basically "crap listened to by the
> kids who like to kick my '60s and punk-loving
> ass".
>
> Of course, I also had to put up with a ton of
> Depeche Mode and Sinead O'Connor, just because
> that was what all the cute girls were digging at
> the time.
>
> My point? I'm glad high school is over.

i love depeche mode too but not really sinead. as long as they artist has some kinda artistic talent i like them. maybe thats why i hate rap. i never knew until years later that cheap trick sang the flame. i'm younger though, 25, but i had live at budokhan when i was 11. years later i heard the song and found out it was them. i remembered the song from when i was like 6. i like that song but the band themselves hate it.

weird how van halen, aersomith, ac/dc, iron maiden, judas priest, kiss and alice cooper always get tossed around in that vain of bands too. i guess its because technically they started the genre so when they were still big in the 80's people just lumped them in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2195
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home