Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Louisville (Churchill Downs) - a sell out!
Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 15, 2006 03:59

I know alot of folks have already alluded in other threads about this venue fast selling, but I felt like it deserved its own thread. Not bad for a bunch of hillbillies! We know good music when it comes to town! Looking forward to meeting a bunch of IORR's and having a killer party scene!

BV- any chance you'd make the Louisville gig? Would love the introduction.

Re: Louisville (Churchill Downs) - a sell out!
Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: August 15, 2006 04:40

Heading up from Memphis myself.....my 1st time in Louisville, too......how could I possibly resist the Stones in Chruchill freakin' Downs?????

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 15, 2006 08:30

I think that the relatively lower prices, the fact that it's a Friday night, and the novelty of the venue all helped. How many tickets do you think were sold in view of the configuration of the turf/dirt tracks and the stands?

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 15, 2006 08:49

50,000 is the number, and its definately officially a sell out. As for the view, There's much less floor seating at this show than at past shows from what I can tell. They have quite an undertaking in putting this thing on. Since my buddy works there I will have a great deal of fun getting him to take pics when the Stones are setting up their stage. Hopefully he can get me in for the soundcheck...

-Drake

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 15, 2006 08:59

drake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's much less floor seating at this show than at past shows from what I can tell.

The floor seats don't go that deep, past the b-stage. But there are more sections to the sides than at other venues. I'd say there are more floor seats at this show than for instance at Fenway Park.
[www.iorr.org]

Date: August 15, 2006 09:01

More than Fenway, less than every stadium so far.

-Drake

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 15, 2006 09:48

Yes, probably about 6,000 floor seats or so.
The football stadiums have had at least 8,000.

Date: August 15, 2006 17:37

Stones tickets nearly gone

Angie Fenton

» View previous columns

Six hours after tickets for the Sept. 29 Rolling Stones concert at Churchill Downs went on sale, they were "virtually sold out," said Rosemarie Dalba, director of marketing for Live Nation.

Tickets -- priced at $300, $160, $99 and $60 -- went on sale at 10 a.m. yesterday.

Last night the only tickets available at www.Ticketmaster.com were in section 128, with a limited view.

The $60 seats are located to the farthest right of the stage.

A single seat was available on the dirt track for $550. It is part of a special souvenir package.

On eBay, several sellers are offering seats for a variety of prices.

Two seats located in section T4, row D -- the section that sits in front of the stage – were going for $1,049.88.

"Stay tuned," Dalba said, the opening act will be announced soon.

The above from today's (8/15) Courier Journal in Louisville.

I thought I heard it was reported: 8,000 floor seats for Churchill.

As Gazza and others stated previously, it wouldn't suprise me to see additional (good) seats to magically appear closer to kick-off.

It really sucks what's happening in Spain! I hope this is isn't prolonged as Europe deserves some re-schedules for sure- what a bummer!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 15, 2006 17:43

I am stranded on the airport in Madrid and the Kentucky show is not the first that is coming on my mind as I fly out to Almera now, but I will be there still, pretty sure.

Bjornulf

Date: August 15, 2006 17:46

Cool BV. Hope to make your acquaintance and I'm sure the first KY bourbon is on me if we get the chance!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 15, 2006 18:36

It's not completely sold out, I just checked TicketBastard and there are still some $60 seats left. Not a great view I'm betting, but they're only $60. And as others have said, I'm sure other tickets will magically become available as time goes on.

That's how it works, they announce a near sellout to send people who would have waited until later or are on the fence about going scrambling to get tickets now. I think tickets will be still be available on the day of the show, but I think it will sell out before showtime. Regardless, it should be a memorable event.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 15, 2006 18:53

everybody go see the stones,is Muhammad Ali going..the greatest boxer must see the Stones!Maybe he can wear the coat Elvis gave him!!!

Posted by: dbb ()
Date: August 15, 2006 20:09

In fact, I wonder when the last time a large U.S. venue sold so quickly. Perhaps it is more common to sell quicker in Europe, Asia or Australia. Anyway, there's a real buzz in Louisville about the upcoming concert. It's a big deal here as is reflected in the strong ticket sales.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 15, 2006 21:11

It sold out long before they announced Alice Cooper as the opener. A lot of ticked off Coop fans scrambling for tickets today. With weekend long party this will be one for the ages. Don't sell Coop short. This is not a warm up to skip.

Date: August 15, 2006 21:22

Are you saying Alice Cooper is opening for the Stones at the Downs? If so that would be pretty cool - where did you hear that?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 15, 2006 21:32

A duet with Mick Jagger and ALice Cooper doing "Only Women Bleed" would be the Bomb!

Date: August 15, 2006 21:53

Its on his website now. I've never seen him live and I wont miss it. Should be very entertaining.

-Drake

Date: August 15, 2006 22:29

drake Wrote:
> Its on his website now. I've never seen him live
> and I wont miss it. Should be very entertaining.

Cool, thanks for the confirmation. I always thought Alice was ok, a few good/very good songs but nothing special, until I saw him live in 2000. A friend had free tickets to a show of his at the Palace (holds about 2,000) and he put on a really great show. He definitely knows how to get a crowd fired up, and the stage show was amazing even in that small a venue. And it was amazing how many good songs he had that I either didn't know or had heard a few times and forgotten about. I'm very excited to hear he's opening for the Stones!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 15, 2006 22:43

Get the Montreux 2005 DVD. It's very cheap on Amazon and kicks serious butt. A preview of coming attractions. It is a much stronger show now than 2000.

Date: August 15, 2006 22:47

Steven Wrote:
> Get the Montreux 2005 DVD. It's very cheap on
> Amazon and kicks serious butt. A preview of
> coming attractions. It is a much stronger show
> now than 2000.

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: August 15, 2006 23:45

Louisville, here I come! Never been in KY, but have friends in Louisville, from my childhood back in the Stone-age! Now, Stone(s)-age hits Louisville and I'll say HI to my childhood friends. The Pilkingtons... Hi Debbie!

Date: August 16, 2006 11:22

You should stay for The Bullitt's concerts there as well in October, Siw smiling smiley

Posted by: RollingStonesUSA ()
Date: August 16, 2006 11:29

Great news!

"It's Good To Be Here, It's Good To Be Anywhere"-Keith Richards

"Halloween Is Every Night Of My Life"-Keith Richards

"I Got The Sticky Fingers, For Some Girls"

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 16, 2006 12:26

Alice Cooper and the Stones on that hallowed turf . . . . enjoy it. I bet they never have a concert there again.

Date: August 19, 2006 09:31

Trust me, everyone...I've seen the Coop 4 times and his shows keep getting better and better...you will not be disappointed especially if he is allotted his full set and all the theatrics that he is known for...then Churchill Downs will never be the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home