Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Beacon charity event
Posted by: spareparts ()
Date: August 9, 2006 14:09

Interesting story in the NY Post - the rumoured Beacon show may be a private charity event!!!. Many times these Page 6 storys are wrong but this sounds real. Sorry if this has been posted already.

[www.nypost.com]

Re: Beacon charity event
Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: August 9, 2006 16:03

I hope that article is true. Bill has good musical tastes and maybe he'll ask the Stones for some special numbers. I remember when Bob Dylan played his semi-rarity Chimes of Freedom at his Innauguration in 1993, and Bill was elatated to say the least.

Date: August 9, 2006 16:18

There is the video that I mentioned above.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 9, 2006 16:26

Damn private show! The last private show is still missing.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 9, 2006 16:41

Hell will freeze over before the Hildabeast gets a penny of my money.

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: August 9, 2006 16:51

FANS LOSE AGAIN

Date: August 9, 2006 16:59

I highly doubt that the Stones would play Beacon Theatre otherwise, or any theatre/club for that matter. I guess this is better than nothing.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 9, 2006 17:16

Does anyone think any of these tickets for the Beacon show will be available to us common fans or will it just be an "invitation only and pay as well deal"?

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 9, 2006 19:01

That the Stones are doing a charity show is wonderful. That this 'charity' event is merely a front...an excuse for the ahistorical, multi-culti, Pacifist Utopian, lockstep leftist-liberal Gliterrati of the entertainment industry to celebrate themselves and their self-aggrandizing poster boy is a disgrace. The debasement of the greatest rock and roll band this world has ever known may be inadvertent...perhaps they really just want to help these charities. If they are doing it as...pardon the pun...@#$%&, and are hired as basically the house band for Bubba and his contemptible groupies and sycophants then they are dishonouring themselves and their legacy. Let's hope Mick and Keef and Charlie merely want to help comnbat AIDS in Africa, global warming and childhood obesity. I cringe at the fact that they may be suckered into singing for their supper for the bastard miscreant and his hyper-ambitious brood bitch of a wife. These people are the most shameless opprotunists I have seen in my lifetime...phoney to the core...and if the Stones deem to align themselves with them...a pox on both their houses.

This is what my brother in New York wrote and sent me...the Stones lose another life-long real fan through their greed, miscalculations...

...and that makes it official. i will not for a nano-second endeavor to get stones tickets on their 349th visit back to the states for their never-ending self-celebratory circus.

the present-day stones are little more than camp. retread camp. they debase their own legacy. now pantomiming onstage your favorite 'chief] executive.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

By RICHARD JOHNSON with PAULA FROELICH, CHRIS WILSON and BILL HOFFMANN

August 9, 2006 -- BILL Clinton is turning 60 on Aug. 17, but the celebrations will continue for months, culminating with a private Rolling Stones concert at the Beacon Theatre on Oct. 29.

The series of events for the 42nd president in both Toronto and New York is being billed as "42 at 60" and will raise money for his William Jefferson Clinton Foundation.

Sources say a golf outing in Westchester is planned for the October weekend, as well as a gala dinner at the American Museum of Natural History. The high point is the Stones gig at the Beacon, being organized by movie producer Steve Bing and filmed by Oscar-winning director Martin Scorsese.

Political observers point out that the New York festivities are well-timed to coincide with the 59th birthday of Bill's wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, which is Oct. 26 - just a week before Election Day.

"It's timed so that the Clintons will be all over the news just before voters go to the polls, and every extra point she gets in victory will help her in her race for president in 2008," said one Democrat.

Clinton fans who can't wait until October are booking flights to Canada, where the Clinton birthday bashes coincide with the Toronto Film Festival, when the city will be stocked with celebrities including Brad Pitt.

The main Toronto event is a Sept. 9 gala at the Fairmont Royal York spearheaded by Vancouver money man Frank Giustra. "This is the high-Celsius ticket," National Post columnist Shinan Govani told Page Six. "Billy Crystal doing the jokes, Sarah McLachlan providing the tears, Chelsea Clinton planting the tribute." Tim McGraw and Lenny Kravitz will also perform.

Govani finds it ironic that with all the movie people in town for the film fest, "Clinton stands to steal everybody's thunder."

Clinton's spokesman, Jay Carson, told us: "President Clinton has dedicated his life to public service and his 60th birthday celebration will be no different. All of the funds from these events will go to support his foundation and its work around the world." The three main Clinton causes are providing AIDS drugs in Africa, fighting global warming and combatting childhood obesity.

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Posted by: scelsa ()
Date: August 9, 2006 19:03

Could not have said it better...

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 9, 2006 19:06

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-07 03:42 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 9, 2006 19:19

Hey beely.....I love your posts but please don't let certain people on here drag you down into their negative venom filled world. Keep that cool head of yours held high.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 9, 2006 19:32

Please stop making political posts on IORR, and please stop replying to and/or commenting on political posts, or I will stop your user. It is a golden rule that you should IGNORE a political post, and simply report it using the link "Report This Message " under the actual post. Then I will check it and delete it if it is offending and aganist the IORR policy. By repeating and feeding the political discussion you force me into deleting the thread and/or your own user. OK?

Bjornulf

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 9, 2006 20:22

I belive in Charity events, they only have to give 15% of the proceeds to the charity.

Date: August 9, 2006 20:43

Aside from all of the charity discussion, I hope that Clinton has some special birthday requests that are songs not normally included in the setlists of recent tours.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 9, 2006 20:45

BV...I was not aware that you are the gatekeeper of this website. I believe my posts are always well thought out and refined. You can check the record. But with all due respect, it is rather difficult to avoid making a political commentary when the reason for 'a private Rolling Stones concert' is the jubilation and gala affair of such polarizing political figures like the Clintons. That being said, I do appreciate and accept your comments and the policy of leaving politics at the door when entering the realm of the Rolling Stones and their music...I only wish the Stones would do the same.

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 9, 2006 20:55

The Stones smoke on stage.
They fall of trees.
They abuse alcohol.
They have tried out heroin.
They sing about politics.
They are thin like a teenager girl.
They use language not appropriate for many.
Not every one but some of them at times.
We may love them but we don't have to live like them in every term...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 9, 2006 21:30

Is this event not a political fundraiser? Hard to avoid politics when that is the pupose of the event before the fall elections.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 9, 2006 21:40

It's really not that hard Steven.....smart people can avoid it.

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: August 9, 2006 21:57

I agree with Turd...fans are screwed againg

Date: August 9, 2006 22:10

I guess this delivers a blow to the chances the show will be recorded for a possible DVD, and also to the chances of an audience member recording the show since it's a private show, and everyone there will be guests of the Clintons.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 9, 2006 22:56

>I guess this delivers a blow to the chances the show will be recorded for a possible DVD

It's being filmed by Martin Scorsese.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 9, 2006 23:01

HOLY CRAP - SCORSESE?!?!

That will be the greatest concert film ever put to celluloid

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 9, 2006 23:10

Maybe they will play Sweet Neo-Con!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 9, 2006 23:21

Just fork over the $1,700 per ticket and love it.

JR

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: August 9, 2006 23:49

If it's tax deductible, $1,700 isn't much more than $500 for a regular on-stage ticket.

And I predict the set list is going to be a little different...

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: August 9, 2006 23:59

Untrue re: the tax deductible post. The amount that is deductible is the difference between the value of the ticket & and the price paid for it. If you were to go with the the face value (the most likely case), and that say is $1,000, then you can deduct the $500. If your marginal tax rate is about 45% (most of us in CA), then your deduction would be $225 (the tax savings). If you were in say Texas (no state tax), your savings would be more like $170. Therefore, to say that $1,700 isn't much more than $500, is simply wrong & bad advice (note: don't take tax advice from those who do not do it for a living).

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 10, 2006 00:31

once again we get f&*&ed with a club gig, at this point they can shove it, its like the stones and cohl are just giving us the giants stadium gig to shut us up
but the real show that should be just for die hards will once again go to the rich who couldnt name which album sway is on if it hit them in the face, just a disgrace man,oh and btw i guess the stones got the hint about the set list at the paris show, thanks for changing it a bit after almost a year guys

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 10, 2006 00:46

It's been long rumored that the Rolling Stones would play two shows at the Beacon Theatre in New York City on October 29 & 31. Fans scrambling to update their Rolling Stones Fan Club Memberships for a chance to see a greatly coveted Rolling Stones Theatre show will be dissapointed.

I don't think this is one of the $50.00 Theater Shows Michael Cohl announced at the NYC press conference last May? ;0(

Sources say that ticket prices will be close to $2,000 each for this private show. There has been no response on a special Rolling Stones Fan Club Show at Madison Square Garden next year.

News article:

Rolling Stones concert planned for Bill Clinton's 60th birthday celebrations Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 (EST)
A private Rolling Stones concert at the Beacon Theatre on Oct. 29 will mark the culmination of over two months of festivities to celebrate 42nd President Bill Clinton's 60th birthday on Aug 17.

Posted by: spareparts ()
Date: August 10, 2006 01:22

I live blocks away. So it would kill me not to be there. It's got to be one of the smallest venues they've played in a long time.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home