Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH!?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 7, 2006 04:57

cirrhosis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
So basically, you were just tying up tickets that would've otherwise been available to me?
No, it's okay. You can just owe me one.

Sorry cirrhosis, I didn't mean to mess up your ticket purchase!

Why are you trying for Boston tix, you're not from around here are you? I was thinking you were a mid-westerner.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 7, 2006 06:13

Gazza Wrote:
> jamesjagger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Gazza..its not the question who is using
> > "it"...the point is they are old and more
> sooner
> > than later they will have to stop it.
>
>
> I'm quite aware of that and have come to terms
> with it being a reality. Have you? Your post would
> suggest you havent, which is something for you to
> deal with - not insist on others paying through
> the nose to do the same
>
> Still no excuse for fleecing people. If the Stones
> dont use their age and mortality as an excuse, I
> dont see why YOU should feel the need to justify
> it or make absurd excuses for someone else being a
> "prima donna". As blind hero worship isnt my thing
> personally, I dont feel the need to indulge anyone
> based on that trait.

Gazza, are you a lawyer?? Not being a smart arse here-serious question? If not, then you'd be a damn good one IMHO!

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: August 7, 2006 07:02

rknuth Wrote:
> EUROPE was too much. Shows are far from beeing
> sold out. Much shows have been cancelled due to
> bad ticket sells (not because of Keith!).
>
> So it's good that at least some fans in the States
> see it the same way!
>
> The big issue is that they can't deliver what they
> ask the money for!

I hate to bust your bubble rknuth. You could not be more wrong about Keith's accident. Who are you to say the show's were cancelled because of bad ticket sales and not Keith's accident. That's a very vicious comment about Keith man. I was down in New Zealand when it went down and it was pretty hairy especially brain surgery. I won't even say more obviously your very ungratful, i'm glad he's still alive. I did'nt know you were part of the Stones promoter's. As to ticket prices what's the average price a whopping 100 Euro's WOW! That's going to break your bank? It cost 20 Euro's just to see a cover band in a dive bar these day's. So what should the stones play for 30 Euro so they can play for charity and the charity are people like YOU!

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: August 7, 2006 12:16

Hey guys, I saw them in Amsterdam and in Paris last week. And you know? You're paying hundreds of dollars...

...and what you are buying is the access to a possibility to see Streets of Love live(!!!) and As Tears Go By, and you pay for the right to hope to see Keith perform Slipping Away...

It's worth it.

Jelle

Posted by: j442211 ()
Date: August 7, 2006 13:40

I'm seeing them twice on this tour, too, and I knew what the tickets cost when I bought them. If I get value for money, I wont be complaining - if I dont, I'll not be a happy bunny.
I've got a suspision (spelling?), the tour was curtailed for the following reasons....
1) Keiths fall
2) Ronnies problems
3) Ticket sales
....in that order. But they all played a role.

Date: August 7, 2006 13:56

Last fall I paid $955 US for a pair of good seats (TOO MUCH!) for 4 different shows which was absolutely outrageous and crazy since I HAD TO CHARGE THEM! But I did it for one reason, if the STONES are going out with A Bigger Bang, then I'm going out with ABB too because I think it's their last tour whether they say it or not.

After paying those high prices, I've changed my stragegy and I went for the cheaper seats, $160 range so it's not as painful. But it's still alnost $400 for a pair. Still too much IMO.

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: August 31, 2006 19:28

A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE EASILY PARTED!

"'Tis a wise man who rules the stars, a FOOL who is ruled by them."

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: August 31, 2006 19:56

I believe one who pays to see them in a stadium and hearing the same songs as we've been hearing forever is one of two things: wealthy or a fool

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 31, 2006 21:26

rknuth Wrote:
> EUROPE was too much. Shows are far from beeing
> sold out. Much shows have been cancelled due to
> bad ticket sells (not because of Keith!).

Yes, most of the remaining shows were not sold out,
and it hurt me in a way. But 40 or 50000 is still a lot.

> So it's good that at least some fans in the States
> see it the same way!

Sadly everyone who criticizes the band has to assure in the same line
that he/she LOVES THE BAND and already spent 1000s of € or $...
just to prevent to be called WHINERS. A pity.

> The big issue is that they can't deliver what they
> ask the money for!

Disagreed for ME: At the 4 shows I have seen SWAY, AS TEARS GO BY
and SHE´s SO COLD or RAMBLER in PARIS (!!!) was worth the money alone.
But with those prices
you just can´t sell out a stadium anymore with regular rockfans.
The Stones´fault.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: August 31, 2006 22:17

After the lame Anaheim show last year, I'd pay about $30 for a seat at Dodger Stadium. Translation: I ain't goin'. And from what I hear, a lot of Angelenos are feeling the same way.

They've overstayed their welcome this go-around with these ticket prices.

BTW, going to see Dylan, top price $75. (NO, there are no zeroes missing.)

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 31, 2006 23:57

rknuth wrote:
(A) "EUROPE was too much. Shows are far from beeing sold out. Much shows have been cancelled due to bad ticket sells (not because of Keith!)."

You must be kidding. Unless you really think that the ticket sales in Barcelona, Madrid, Brussels or Athens were "bad"! The Stones had real problems only in Holland and Germany. Explainable, considering the incredibly huge number of gigs in these countries, since 1989. In relation to ticket prices, of course. Since 1989, in Germany 43 gigs, in Holland 23! Also, Germany was the country in which World Cup took place. If you haven't noticed it, in 1998 they cancelled three out four (!!) concerts in France (World Cup). In 1990, one out four in Italy (World Cup). And then the ticket prices were much lower...

Same talk before the first american leg of the tour. "Poor ticket sales", "they'll play in half-empty venues", blah, blah, blah. The reality denyed all these "predictions". Same predictions before UK shows. "Poor ticket sales", "they'll play in half-empty venues". And they played in packed stadiums. But the naggers never stop moaning. It's a kind of illness. I'm so tired of this...

Posted by: wannaholdu ()
Date: September 1, 2006 06:35

I agree, too, that it's a lot of money to shell out for a concert. I remember the great days of $15-$25 tix.
The price is why I didn't attend much closer shows (Pittsburgh, Columbus) on the first U.S. leg of ABB. If the consumer pays it, the prices will climb.
Ya know, there are a lot less talented acts out there commanding $50 to $75.
I agree with another thread where someone said the Stones should use their clout to lower prices, a la Pearl Jam. But you do what you do, I guess.
In the final analysis, I just figured I'd better go — albeit alone — to Louisville because there might not be that many more chances.
To me, it'll be worth the money.
Familiar set or not.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: September 1, 2006 13:53

I have been to eight concerts and only Munich was empty at the very back. For Munich I got FOS for 40 Euros on ebay. But that's luck.
All other concerts had been quite full. And in the UK after the first Twickenham show prices even rose well above the acutal printprice on the black market.

Someone also mentioned that you can by a cheaper ticket and then move forward. Fortunately those and other drunken people got thrown out in Glasgow and in Sheffield. I think it is fair enough either you pay for what you get or you leave it. And do not forget that fans tried hard to get those 60 £ seats at the front.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: September 1, 2006 14:29

Too Tough wrote:
-------------------
Disagreed for ME: At the 4 shows I have seen SWAY, AS TEARS GO BY
and SHE´s SO COLD or RAMBLER in PARIS (!!!) was worth the money alone.
But with those prices
you just can´t sell out a stadium anymore with regular rockfans.
The Stones´fault.

I heard She's So Cold in Cologne and it was horrible. At times nobody in the band knew where they were in the song. Same with some other songs in Cologne.

The money I paid was always hard earned and I paid each show ;-)

> only Munich was empty at the very back
Hmm, I have seen 10 shows and most of them have been sold out to maybe 70-75% I remember seeing whole empty blocks in Berlin, Cologne, Hannover, Munich. In Stuttgart say said there were still 5000 unsold tickets before the show. Munich was not only empty in the back but also on the expensive stands seats. Shortly before the show they took more black plactic to cover the empty seats in the near of the stage.

> You must be kidding. Unless you really think that the ticket sales in Barcelona, Madrid, Brussels or Athens were "bad"! The Stones had real problems only in Holland

Oh boy. Why did they cancel 15 shows (not counting Spain) even where the tour was going on? If they sold tickets very well they could have started at July 10 in Nuremberg and move on as scheduled!! There was no need then to cancel the whole east Europe shows, the Scandinavian shows and so on.

When Amsterdam was cancelled, they had sold just 5000 tickets so all tickets were made valid for the one show. The same in Paris! Days before the England shows you could easily buy A1 section tickets (despite Twickers). In Germany they offered you 20Euro if you buy a ticket for any other shows instead of taking the refund for the cancelled shows. They even offered shuttles for instance from Leipzig to Berlin! or Nuremberg to Munich! if you buy a ticket for these shows. So now tell me how this fits with a good selling tour!

So it was a welcome accident of Keith to cancel the shows without loosing their face!

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: September 1, 2006 23:37

Rüdiger: Ohne das alles hier gelesen zu haben, wage ich mir, an unser kurzes Gespräch in München anzuknüpfen: Generell hast Du natürlich recht, Mitteleuropa lief wohl recht schlecht. Ansonsten hätte man wie 98 in München (Rehearsals/Hotel) bzw. dessen "Vorort" Nürnberg (erste Show) anfangen können. Ich glaube aber nicht, dass das unbedingt auf Gesamteuropa so zu übertragen ist. Sonst wären die erstzunehmenden Gerüchte der Europatour 07 ziemlich absurd, es sei denn, man würde da auf eine Hallentour abheben wollen. Das ist freilich erst recht unwahrscheinlich, ich denke und hoffe aber, dass es halbe/halbe wird. 12-13 Stadien und ebenso viele Hallen. Dass das geht und finanziell offensichtlich auch Sinn macht (jedenfalls für die Band usw. ;-) hat sich ja 03 erhellt.

Sorry guys it's in German, but my English is not that good.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-01 23:42 by beast of burgk.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 2, 2006 04:19

Rknuth wrote:

(Á) «If they sold tickets very well they could have started at July 10 in Nuremberg and move on as scheduled!!”

Come on, my friend… This would be a very childish and amateurish plan, I’m sure you understand it! A tour without any balance? A tour without big markets like Paris or Italy but with 6-8 concerts in Germany? The Stones probably wanted a “logical” eoropean tour, I mean after Keith’s accident, given their fall tour in USA. They “sacrificed” of two gigs in Spain- Barcelona and Madrid- which had sold very well, because two other spanish concerts remained on the touring map. They “sacrificed” of the concert in Sweeden, that sold very well, keeping on the touring map Denmark and Norway. They “sacrificed” of the concert in Athens, where the ticket sales were faster than in 1998 (it’s my country, I know very well the situation), but they “saved” neighdouring Milan. There is some logic here. Otherwise why did they cancel so many sold out (or near it) concerts? Unless you refuse any information about sales. Who knows, to you maybe even Keith’ accident is a myth…

(cool smiley “When Amsterdam was cancelled, they had sold just 5000 tickets so all tickets were made valid for the one show. The same in Paris!”

If my memory is correct, fans from France wrote that for Paris (2) had sold 72,000 out of 80,000 tickets. I suppose our friends from France know the real situation much better than me and you. As for Amsterdam (2) some say 20,000, you say 5,000- I don’t know. But, as I wrote, we have to admit that in Holland and Germany the Stones had real problems. Explainable. In the years 1989- 2003 they did 23 gigs in Holland and 43 in Germany! Incredibly huge number. This factor (some satiety) in relation to the ticket prices explains a lot. Count some other factors, as for example how many Stones fans hate Amsterdam Arena due to it’s bad acoustics. In Milan I met 9 fans from Holland. Seven fans told me “no more Arena anymore-enough is enough”. Seven out nine! As for Germany, don’t forget World Cup.

( C ) “Days before the England shows you could easily buy A1 section tickets”

So what? A year ago my brother, huge U2 fan, bought easily ticket for their concert in Manchester in the day of the gig, which supposely was sold out “in hours”- months ago. Does it mean that this gig was “unsaccessful”? Of course not. Have anyoone seen half-empty stadiums during the recent Stones concerts in UK? I don’t think so. According to the reviews, according to my ...eyes in London, despite the so boring “catastrophism” here, the stadiums were packed. Once again. As the situation was in USA, during the first american leg of the tour. Despite all the stupid predictions around (“horrible sales”, “the end of Stones is coming”, “upcoming disaster”, blah, blah, blah).

(D) “I have seen 10 shows and most of them have been sold out to maybe 70-75%”

Do you mean in Europe? God… Only in Vienna the percentage was like that. According to the reviews and articles, in the worst cases, in Germany, the shows have been sold out to 80- 85%, on this tour. In the worst cases … Let’s suppose that these estimates, about Germany, are wrong. Let’s suppose that you have right (personally I haven’t seen them in Germany, on this tour). But how on earth did you find out other shows beeing sold out to 70-75% only?? In Milan? In Paris? In Amsterdam? In Zurich? In Nice? In Porto? In UK?

(E) “Now tell me how this fits with a good selling tour! So it was a welcome accident of Keith to cancel the shows without loosing their face!”

Come on… A tour that attracts 4 or 4.5 millions of people worldwide (without including Rio’s gig), with these @#$%& ticket prices and with so high frequency of rounds in the last years, is not simply good selling. It’s TRIUMPHAL!
I said it a million times, i say it once again. Attracting 4.5 million people in 2005/6, on a tour which takes place after a short break of just 3 years, is MORE REMARKABLE than playing, for example, to 6 million in 1989/90. After a break of 7 years, when everyone wanted to see the "rare" act.
During the seventies, when the Stones did tours every 3 years (Europe 1973, 1976- USA 1969, 1972, 1975, 1978) they were attracting 300,000 or 600,000 people on every round. Now, even the "broken", "shattered" european tour will be for one million people.

How can you rate the success of a tour just judging from one or two countries? Your most serious examples are taken from Germany. But even in Germany, in the World Cup summer, the Stones sold much better than –for example- in 1998 in France, in wich WC took place. Then, in France, the Stones canceled three concerts due to slow tickets sales (Lyon, Marseilles, Stade De France II) out …four! The played only SDF (1). Also, they canceled one spanish gig (Gijion) for the same reason. Slow sales. I don’t think “they lost their face” after it! Also some 1998 gigs -in Spain, Germany, Tallin, Turkey, etc- were far from being sold out, even in small stadiums. So, with your logic, 1998 was a “unsaccessful” tour… I suppose also 1982 tour was “unsuccessful”, because they had only 50,000 out of 72,000 on their second gig in Munich (June, 11). You can find out Stones concerts which weren’t sold out on every tour since 1982. So, you can consider as “unsaccessful” every tour! Simple as that…

Date: September 3, 2006 17:28

The Stones have made their money.
Why do they keep milking us? Why the GREED?
Everyone with half a clue must realize this.
I would love to pay a reasonable price to see them
in a smaller theater type tour.

There once was a band that played for reasonable prices,
even for free at times.

They played their music for the LOVE of the music, not the money,
for they knew they had something SPECIAL.

They constantly toured, and the fans truly were appreciated
by the band.

The band played the music.
The Music played the band.
The fans inspired the music, and the level of playing at
times could be determined by the energy of the fans.

Of course there were occasionally a clunker of a show,
but thats the way of live music. Playing in the NOW.
That band was the Grateful Dead.

How many songs,DIFFERENT songs,have been played on the Stones ABB tour?

Date: September 21, 2006 15:57

Good Morning To All from Massachusetts, USA!
THE STONES HAVE HEARD MY PLEA!

I owe this bump of my own thread!!

WHAT A NITE! SO I DECIDE TO BUY A $97.50 + the usual TicketBastard charges on Tuesday nite..the NIGHT BEFORE the show. A far cry from the $352 + for the prior shows I attended. These were the 500 late release post stage set up tickets. GREAT SEATS,Keiths side, 15th Row up from field, IN LOGE. Earlier in week I got a feeling that maybe the Stones had heard my PLEA! AND DID THEY EVER!!!!!!! The best 100 bucks I've spent in a long time. I've now seen all the Licks and BB tour that have come thru Boston, and this one was TOPS! I am not much for reviews, as others say it so well...plus I'm a bit bushed as Monday nite I was in Madison Square Garden/NY for The Who's show.
What a great few days this has ended up being. All I can say is:
Get a ticket...there are still reasonable prices for some of the upcoming shows, and even after last nite, about $100 is the top I will pay, with the exception of Hawaii upcoming.
I WILL SEE YOU IN HAWAII November 22! :-))

Long Live Rock!
Long Live The Stones!
You Got the Silver,
"I" GOT THE GOLD!

Peace To All.
Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-21 19:22 by Borncrosseyed.

Posted by: MicknSteven ()
Date: September 21, 2006 17:45

WAIT WAIT WAIT.....GUYS.....who sits in the First 10 Rows at $99.00 I Thought the Stones sold thoes tickets to the fan club members?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home