Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: best european concert so far
Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 25, 2006 17:03

I was in Hannover! I thought sparks flew a lot of the time. Especially Mick's on fire. Keith's great. Ronnie was OK. Charlie's always good.
To say "the Stones died in Cologne/Hannover or whereever" - it just doesn't make sense. And I suspect it's because you are not able to go deeper into the issue. It's so easy to just make a headliner statement like that. I takes a lot more courage and skills to go deeper...
So, Hannover wasn't the best concert (not from where I stood FOS Keeith side, clinging to the rail), but it was better than Milan! (Where the sound was a problem, and not the Stones) And not as good as Berlin. In my opinion, Berlin was really good. Though Keith missed a barr or two, he sang really beautifully. Ronnie was good. Filled inn well and good solos.
What could be interresting to hear now, is CYHMN, and see if the magic from the Licks tour is there. Perhaps the choice of songs also matters for the musicians? If they have a favourite, I should think that's one they really enjoy playing, and will do so well!

Anyway: If Ronnie's in trouble, he doesn't need us harrassing him. He needs support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-25 17:06 by shidoobee.

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: July 25, 2006 17:09

Everybody has the right to express his/her democratic opinion after a show. But I think it is deprecatory and insulting not only to the band, but to fans who had a good time there to label the Rolling Stones "musical jerks administering their backcatalog"
-but as I said above, we´re living in a democracy, so feel free to Xpress your frustration, albeit a minority opinion.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 25, 2006 17:18

BV, I think you went to all the shows and I'm looking forward to reading your opinion.

I only went to Milan, and this was something hard to describe.
One of the hottest audience i ever saw.
Con Le Mie Lacrime was very emotional for the audience, and everyone could feel there wwas something special going on.
The premiere of Streets of Love wasn't bad at all, and Midnight Rambler was outstanding.

I don't know if this makes the best show so far, but i would like to add a last thing : the relief. When the intro started, we were sure they were back for real. Seeing Keef on stage again, for the 1st time since his accident and in full shape, THAT is what gave IMO to the Milan show some additional flavour.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: July 25, 2006 17:50

>Anyway: If Ronnie's in trouble, he doesn't need us harrassing him. He needs support.

I think he needs practising!

>To say "the Stones died in Cologne/Hannover or whereever" - it just doesn't make sense. And I suspect it's because you are not able to go deeper into the issue

I think I wrote here in another thread, so I didn't want to copy it here again. But if you have been there and you have a clue of what "playing the guitar" means there is no deeper comment neccessary. If you are listening to the show and you are always praying that Woody might hit the right notes and he didn't then you feel like on a dentist chair drilling your teeth.

And just to scratch the surface (I don't want to go deeper!): Tell me what has changed for the last 16 years? No new concept, always the same. The same warhorses, 2 Keith songs, B-stage (since 97), bringing b-stage to technical highs which we have to pay, same backing band since 94 (90), so no new arrangements -> it's convinient -> no development -> Musical jerks -> higher and higher ticket prices. IT's BORING!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 25, 2006 18:31

rknuth...I guess you and I are the Cassandras in this case...bearers of bad news. I would never characterize the Stones as 'musical jerks'...but I think you write that out of frustration that your emotional investment in this band is simply not being reciprocated. You and I [and many long-term, die-hard Stones fans that I know] are quite frankly tired of the status quo and wish for a fresher approach...especially in light of the fact that most of us really dig 'A Bigger Bang' and feel that they could feature tunes from it far more prominently. When we say we want a new concept we do not mean more Gigantism and fireworks and stages that look like buildig sites in Kuala Lumpur...we could not give a damn about fireworks and $4 million stages...we mean let's take a bold, fresh apporach and challenge the listener and ourselves to grow with the music and not stay static. Is that too much to ask?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 25, 2006 20:34

Turd On the Run, I think you can make your point without having to insult other people. You dont have to call people who are fans slobbering cycophants. Maybe some people arent as critical as you , maybe they havent been to thiry shows, maybe they've only seen two. If you have a point, just make it and cut out the BUllshIT.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-25 20:47 by ryanpow.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 25, 2006 21:36

> At least I won a bet with some friends as I bet
> you can read next day on IORR what a great show it has been!!

Then you have to pay back your friends...
If you read the Cologne reviews on IORR they are really mixed.
Half of them are actually bad. Others loved it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 25, 2006 22:13

Turd - thanks for your straight-shooting comments on a Stones Concert.
I've fealt the same way about a few of the Stones show's I've seen.

And Shidoobee, sounds to me like your writing Taylor off a someone who quit
30 years ago and is never to be heard from again.

The situation is he would be more than happy to sit-in with the Stones for a
show or shows and I think the "kick" in the pants is just what the Stones need
right about NOW!

MLC

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 25, 2006 22:41

But that's something different. For a show or two. Would be great. I'd also like to see Bill doing a show with them. But there's a lot of bitterness on both sides, I've noticed. How realistic this is - I dunno. But YEAH! For a show. Or two. At Wembley next summer...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 25, 2006 23:01

shidoobee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But that's something different. For a show or two.
> Would be great. I'd also like to see Bill doing a
> show with them. But there's a lot of bitterness on
> both sides, I've noticed. How realistic this is -
> I dunno. But YEAH! For a show. Or two. At Wembley
> next summer...

the most unrealistic thing about your wish is the idea of Wembley being finished by then!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 25, 2006 23:26

A hell of a lot of you..been so lucky to see them..this tour...three,four..six ,seven ...times...I always did follow.The Stones..when they toured..I would go!!!!10 times...more or less...givin away tickets..having a ball!!!This tour...its another story...I be glad...to go once!!!No problem,thats life!!!But I can understand..some of the things been said ..here...but if you only go once....you might not be so...tense...well..Im a fan since76...and40 licks...Well I wish they did rolled gold!!!I hate 40 lic...I love those Keith s songs on it and some reworked 6 ties ones..cut short!!The Rolling Stones...have to show some guts!!!And do the ones they want!!Fuc-the vi screen!!The problem is while..saying this..is...Its a show with videos...big screens...so they just cant do what they want to do!!!So Im glad they willdo Sol...and add some more suprises for the film...I go wild anyway..caus I can t follow them no more!!You have to understand..that I will see the show...in a different light!!!Capice!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-25 23:29 by rooster.

Date: July 25, 2006 23:35

I* also...think...Ronnie Wood Is A gent!!!We Love the ..greatest R&R band...and they had a hard time!!The was the outlaws...now they over Sixty...and some...well..you try that life!!!It isnt a Clerk job!!Most ofus would die!!Exept me and Rock maybe (joke)...You see Ronnie is fighting...he falls back sometimes...Its The Stones!!!It aint...Santana!!!

Posted by: bartfrombrussels ()
Date: July 26, 2006 00:43

Köln, and if Ronnie wasn't completly drunk it would been in my top 5 all times (ouyt of 64).

Date: July 26, 2006 00:45

That means that..it was good!!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 26, 2006 01:14

The Cologne concert rocked. I am sad to say it, but Turd is right with some points. Ronnie played okay on some songs, but I think that it is not insulting to say that he cannot concentrate for two hours. I like Ronnie`s solo stuff, but the way he messed up his solos on some songs in Cologne was absolutely unbelievable, shocking, and I do not think that he was drunk. I know that tastes aer different, but I did not understand what he was actually going to do, he sounded totally chaotic, out of key and out of rhythm. I am a Ron Wood fan and I wish him all the best. Ronnie had fine moments in Colgne though, I was happy to see him, his slide work was okay. So RRRonnie, get fine again and keep on rocking pretty baby!

Date: July 26, 2006 01:29

Not drunk???Stoned maybe???Thats what we wanted..all of the time!!!Now we gonna blame them??!!!Its The Stones!!!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 26, 2006 02:15

I'm really interested in the boots from the cologne and the berlin show now.

I noticed that the the solo cues where in too late, but not from playing - no, the FOH Mixer was too lame.
Now Windmelody points out, that Ronnie wasn't drunk - yet he messed up some solos and played chaotic.
for me that sounds like a bad monitor sound to depend on.
I mean the hot weather doesn't help much with the FOH sound nor the monitor mix.
Dry and hot weather reduces the speed of sound and pushes higher frequencies up into the air - nuthing new really - but I don't really wan't to witness a 30°C (and more) hot Stadium show no more.

Berlin was the only show for me so far

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-26 02:19 by open-g.

Date: July 26, 2006 02:22

Thanks!!!!Open G!!!You heard Sway!!!And if true..everybody needs love and can have a bad night!!!Look What The Cat!!!!Yes Jagger!!Do that stuff!!!oh do that stufff!!!!!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 26, 2006 03:03

Now I just downloaded the berlin version of SWAY and it proves me right in 3 things:
- Mick Jagger does better vocals on it than ever
- Ronnie plays two great solos on it (without bummin')
- the FOH Cue comes in too late

now go & check hot stuff

Date: July 26, 2006 03:06

Salute you!!!Open G!!!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home