Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
why do they still play YGMR?
Posted by: brewcrew87 ()
Date: July 22, 2006 22:56

you got me rocking is not that great of a song, has no swing to it, yet they have played it on every tour since 94 as a warhorse- i dont understand - any ideas why it still makes it on the setlist?

Re: why do they still play YGMR?
Posted by: Bockwuchsd ()
Date: July 22, 2006 22:58

Cause they can

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 22, 2006 22:58

Same thread.
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 22, 2006 23:00

Cause they are boxers..who cant get out of the ring.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: July 22, 2006 23:06

Mick must love it. I think its good tune but not deserving of modern day warhorse status. He is certaintly determined to keep it the post Start Me up. MEZ

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 22, 2006 23:11

Whatever we think, it's the Stones that call the shots.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 22, 2006 23:20

I'd say 99 % of the casual Stones fans like,
and 99 % of the hardcore fans don't like
problem is the hardcore fans make up 1% of ALL Stones fans together.
that makes it an easy decicion for the stones to put in the setlist if they feel like it.

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: July 22, 2006 23:33

99% of the hardcore fans dislike? Huh, are you serious?smiling smiley
Never understood why so many people here don't like it. It's a very good rocker, good riff, nice lyrics, catchy and very easy chorus...it's perfect song for a rock'n'roll show... Maybe THAT's why they play it.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 22, 2006 23:36

No, it's not great, but.. like smilingsun said, it's a very good rocker, good riff, nice lyrics, catchy and very easy chorus anyway. And it's relatively new.

But then again it's a bit of a rip off of If You Can't Rock Me. Even the titles are similair. The riff is very similair.

But good song just the same.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 22, 2006 23:54

Well I overdid the % number on purpose (and I don't even know the right #) but that doesn't matter, because the majority will have a strong rocking song.

Oh no ..................... you got me rocking is back
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 20, 2006 07:32

On no .............. you got me rocking ............. again !!!

Moan moan moan, setlist setlist setlist, gripe gripe gripe ........... but I do genuinely DESPISE this song. Just noticed they played it at Hanover. Well oh no boys ................... you can do the decent thing and drop it now !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-20 07:34 by paulywaul.

Re: Oh no ..................... you got me rocking is back
Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: July 20, 2006 09:12

Agree!!! Where´s Under My Thumb?? Respectable?? Get Off Of My Cloud?? Common, no You Got Me Rocking Again!!!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 20, 2006 09:14

i sign the petition. Chuck, come on read my lips: "No more you got me rocking!" winking smiley

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: July 20, 2006 10:26

It is much better than the Chicken Song.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 20, 2006 10:36

THe Stones have hundreds of songs. May be you don't like every song. But many others like that song. So please accept they play it, to please all the others.

PS. I think You Got Me Rocking is great!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 20, 2006 10:37

i've never minded the song- although it's no classic.
...maybe it's more of a band favourite, than a fan favourite
- easy to play?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 20, 2006 10:49

YGMR back? GREAT! It's a killer track.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: July 20, 2006 10:49

Bjornulf, we all (probably) think You Got Me Rocking is great, but at least myself, I´ve listen it in 90% of my shows... and I´ve never listen Get Off or Respectable and just listen Under My Thumb in Milano... And probably this happen to a lot of people.... No problem with You Got Me Rocking, but I´ll be extra pleased and happy if they play any of the others!!!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 20, 2006 11:02

They seem to put this 1/2 way into the set list to get the crowd going. I like it cause it puts ole Keefster up into the spotlight - or a tree - if you want to get technical.

I'm just happy they are back at it..........S

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 20, 2006 11:05

Keef in a tree? We all know how that usually turns out. :-D

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 20, 2006 11:09

I noticed during the 95 Lounge tour the interaction between Keef and Mick.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 20, 2006 11:59

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THe Stones have hundreds of songs. May be you
> don't like every song. But many others like that
> song. So please accept they play it, to please all
> the others.
>
> PS. I think You Got Me Rocking is great!

Well I haven't really got any choice but to accept it ........ have I ?? I mean really, it's not as if I have a hotline straight to whoever knocks up their setlists, much as it would be nice to !!

I trust that you picked up on just the teensiest trace of sarcasm in my post. Any post that incorporates wording such as "moan moan moan, setlist setlist setlist, gripe gripe gripe" doesn't really smack of overtones of deadly seriousness, does it ? Or wouldn't you agree ?

PS I think you Got Me Rocking is anything BUT great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-20 18:46 by paulywaul.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 20, 2006 12:23

If they play a track that is not 100% my favorite then I accept the fact that many many other people love it and sure it is the fact. If everybody that disliked a track posted that fact here on IORR this board would be dominated with negativity. Which is totally boring in my opinion, if it is not balanced.

Fact is every time they play "You Got Me Rocking" on the B-stage the crowd is totally raving mad so they - the crowd - must like it. I mean I am not the only one. If you attend the show you will notice it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 20, 2006 12:23

I remember when they played it on the Voodoo Lounge tour '95 (extra gig in Mannheim/Germany) and it just went on and on. It really sounded great then.

So it might not be a great tune but It seems to get them going.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-20 12:38 by Greenblues.

Posted by: sherer1 ()
Date: July 20, 2006 12:52

the thing is they have ti play some of the newer stuff they have written otherwise they will just be like a tribute band playing their old classics..

i've always been a fan of Voodoo Lounge so anything off there is fine with me.. whenever they've played this in the UK it's got the crowd going too

with 4 decades of songs they can't please everyone just be happy we can still see the stones

Date: July 20, 2006 13:19

R&R is not like John Coltrane or something... you got a world to go... It’s not really like that... If you went out there you wouldn’t have an audience... you wouldn’t take them with you... you might, but you’d be very lucky if you did... We put a show actually and we happen to have the best front man... Mick Jagger is the best front man in the world I think.

Charlie Watts, april 2006

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 20, 2006 13:21

"play some of the newer stuff".... read the reviews! They are!!!

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: July 20, 2006 15:08

I'm not crazy about You Got Me Rocking, but I do like the fact that the band seems to have faith in it. It's a junior warhorse. Most of the tracks from Dirty Work on are dumped or placed in deep storage after each album ages, but YGMR stays within easy reach. It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens to Oh No and Rough Justice.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: July 20, 2006 15:45

I agree with bv YGMR is VERY popular live.

If you look at the recent sales of the Live Licks album in Europe then you see suddenly a surge of sales.

These are not Die hard Fans buying but I bet the people who recently purchased this Album are also going to the concerts and they want to hear the War Horses.

There is no way to please 100% of a stadium audience as for a good percentage it is their only show.
The only albums they have are Greatest Hits.
They want to sing and dance to the songs they know & love.
Stones Know this.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 20, 2006 15:57

Was clearly a bathroom song for the section I was in at the shows I went to. My guess is its very easy for them to play and the backing vocalists carry the chorus so Jagger can get the crowd to clap, this makes it look like people are loving it but its Jagger doing what he does, working the crowd.

I know some here will defend whatever the Stones do but I have seen this song at all 15 Stones shows I have seen in my life... But I have never seen them play Get Off My Cloud, Paint It Black, As Tears Go By, 19th Nervous Breakdown or Wild Horses... All songs I love and which are much more popular than You Got Me Rocking, which they have made me now hate.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home