Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Milan was one of the 2-3 best Stones concert i have seen since 1995!
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 13, 2006 23:40

Well, i don't ask the guys who are still complaining "why do you moan?" because after all it's a matter of taste. And all of us love different parts of our favourite band. But, to me Milan was one of the 2-3 best Stones concert i have seen since 1995! High level energy. Loud play. Marvellous Mick. Stable and in moments stellar guitar play (listen to Ronnie's solo on YCAGWYW). I know, some folks say the opposit about the guitars: i wonder if we have seen the same concert, but, OK, as i said it's matter of taste. The gig was ful of "highlights". Weak moments? To me, actualy only the first seconds of Under My Thumb. Mistakes? Gimme a break! Much fewer than the mistakes the band was doing in the "punky" tour of 1978...
During the last 6 songs everyone was dancing even in the press- VIR area and this picture says a lot! After the gig i walked atleast for one hour and so had the opportunity to discuss with a lot of people who were in the show (*). Everyone was enthousiastic, so i suppose i'm not exaggerating. OK, the well known situation: the 95% of the big audiences appreciate and love Stones performances and it seems like the big majority of the rest 5% is moaning on this site! But no problem, that's democracy- to have different opinions.

Once again, thanks Stones. I'm really happy.

(*) Avevo imparato la lingua italiana molti anni fa, ma chi non parla una lingua la dimentica! Tre giorni a Milano mi hanno offerto la opportunita di ricordare una parte...

Re: Milan was one of the 2-3 best Stones concert i have seen since 1995!
Posted by: Riffhard84 ()
Date: July 14, 2006 00:07

Thank you stickydion for this post! it made me feel better,cause I was started to think that I'm the only one who loved the show!And i really Loved it!!!
It was amazing!!!
So I completely agree with you!!!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 14, 2006 00:20

Was a great show...Just loved it. The guys were in such high spirits. Loved when Mick pinched Keith's arse...Charlie seemed very happy.

Didn't know that some did not liked it...Wow, me are hard to satisfy

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 14, 2006 00:23

I loved the show. Some tourists that did not like the football touch did not like the show may be. But it was a great show. Still I have to admid San Siro 2003 was better, because it was more crazy for some reason. More people on the field, longer time since the previous show, Out Of Control performed on stage and just the Stones, no football. But San Siro Tuesday was great as well. Absolutely for sure! And I have seen them a few times. I should know.

Bjornulf

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: July 14, 2006 01:42

Thanks for the positive remarks. Makes me feel better and better. Can't wait till next week when I'll join the tour for 8 shows in a row.

Date: July 14, 2006 02:29

Riffhard84 wrote : "Thank you stickydion for this post! it made me feel better,cause I was started to think that I'm the only one who loved the show!And i really Loved it!!! It was amazing!!! So I completely agree with you!!!"

"The only one" ?? In "Meazza"i was seeing around only happy, smiling faces and dancing bodys! And note this, Riffhard84: first time in my life in a Stones concert i was seating in the "expensive" aerea (don't ask "why", it's a big story). In the particular stadium, with the particular stage's position, the people who were seating there had very good view of the crowd. So, i saw clearly the audience's reactions. And WHEN the whole VIP section is on fire (something unusual), the conclusion about the concert gets clearest...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 14, 2006 02:43

Good review stickydion.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 14, 2006 03:31

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Absolutely for sure! And I have seen them a few
> times. I should know.

That's a little bit of an understatement. ;-)

I've seen 5 shows in the U.S. and Brasil this tour and while I would have preferred to have got a few less songs that i also got on Licks tour, I've been real happy with the shows themselves. I'm glad Europe is finally getting their chance to see some shows.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 14, 2006 10:47

I have seen the band only 26 times over a 42 years period. Not much after all. It was the first time I attended an opening. The crowd was responsive. I don't like football and sorry to say am French. Fantastic to see Mick, Keith and Charlie after a 3 years break . But the musical quality of the show, aside MR,YCAGWYW and Satisfaction was far from what I expected : a) poor sound ( PA engineer should be fired ),b) Keith not enough concentrated at his guitar playing for x and x reasons I can understand( on SFTD for example,there were long time without his guitar,his usually great solo was this night overly poor ). I am sure tonight show in Vienna will be a great one. Stones have ups and downs lots of people have already written. This was a down musically speaking and a top emotionally speaking. For me.

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: July 14, 2006 10:55

I put more credibility on reviews from impartial fans, rather than a diehard....

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 14, 2006 11:11

For a diehard fan it's enough to hear "Con le mie lacrime". Sound was good in FOS-area.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 14, 2006 11:18

It depends what shows you have attented to.
To me MILANO was good for a starter and that's all.
The sound was not good and the guitars quite muddy. Some highlights yes : MR, YCALGWYW, Satisfaction.

jeff

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 14, 2006 14:26

Harm Wrote:
> Sound was good in FOS-area.

where were you sanding harm?
i was 2nd row keith's side and I could not hear Mick's voice for at least 4 songs and guitars were a mud. And I was not the only one since many started to scream "Vo-lu-me!"
I began to hear something from Con e mie lacrime on
I agree with PHD about Keith and i too can understand him
I consider Bercy 2003 as my best stones concert but...
That said, I had a lot of fun, the crowd was nuts and mick was incredible, what i have heard of Ronnie was really good, charlie was the backbone. Most impressive things: average age of people in FOS, their mesmerized gaze thru all the concert, mick's face and how much he was into it, keith's smile thruout the concert, singalong during SOL, YCAGWYW ad SATISFACTION > perfect
MR as usual was The Killer

To bv: you said Milan 2003 was more crazy...i can't even imagine something more crazy than what i've witness on tuesday! wow

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 14, 2006 15:58

I had a wonderful trip to Milan, and I've got exactly what I came for. A mindblowing kick-ass concert with the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world. The band gave EVERYTHING, 100%, to delight the crowd. They smiled from ear to ear, and played with an adorable enthusiasm and energy - you could see and hear they were delighted to be back on stage again. Probably the best concert I've seen, but I still have to wait a few days before a final statement about that. The adrenalin is still pumping.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: July 14, 2006 20:26

Finally, someone whose words make some sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-14 20:27 by Raoul Duke.

Date: July 14, 2006 20:50

A lot of people are complaining about the sound, so there were for sure some sound problems. But not from where i was in "Meazza". I heard very well every single note of the gig. I'm sorry for the guys who couldn't.

toomuchforme wrote: "To me MILANO was good for a starter and that's all.
Some highlights yes : MR, YCALGWYW, Satisfaction."

To me, the remarkable moments were more. First of all, very good version of the opening song (JJF). I mention this because sometimes during Licks and B2B Tour the band was "cold" performing "Brown Sugar" and "Satisfaction". Also: even i prefer the insuperable 1981 version, in Milan i heard a bit better LSTNT than what i had listened to in 1998. On Tumbing Dice Ronnie's solo was better than what he usualy was offering during the european leg of Licks Tour.

Streets Of Love: i am not dying for this ballad, of course. But i have to admit than i liked it live much more than the studio version. To be honest, i was surprised by crowd's reception. Con Le Mie Lacrime: very, very sensitive intro and what a marvellous Mick. Keith's solo on SFTD was a bit short but very, very nice. And Ronnie's solo on YCAGWYW was ...almost stellar. Killer versions of MR and Satisfaction, the other "classics" stable.

A general impression: very strong and effective "team spirit" between Keith and Ronnie. I suppose that's the famous "weaving"... Charlie, good as usual. About Mick, what i can say? He is close to perfection...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 14, 2006 20:56

Glad to hear this; someone maybe shakes his piggy bank
in order to get a tic at some distant venue after all...

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: July 14, 2006 21:25

how can people say on the one hand the sound is poor and then also critic the performance?
It seems without saying to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-14 21:26 by uz2bstoned.

Date: July 14, 2006 22:34

maumau wrote: "To bv: you said Milan 2003 was more crazy...i can't even imagine something more crazy than what i've witness on tuesday! wow"

Then, i suppose you haven't seen yet "Buenos Aires 2006" DVD!

Posted by: Riffhard84 ()
Date: July 15, 2006 20:27

stickydion Wrote:
> Riffhard84 wrote : "Thank you stickydion for this
> post! it made me feel better,cause I was started
> to think that I'm the only one who loved the
> show!And i really Loved it!!! It was amazing!!! So
> I completely agree with you!!!"
>
> "The only one" ?? In "Meazza"i was seeing around
> only happy, smiling faces and dancing bodys! And
> note this, Riffhard84: first time in my life in a
> Stones concert i was seating in the "expensive"
> aerea (don't ask "why", it's a big story). In the
> particular stadium, with the particular stage's
> position, the people who were seating there had
> very good view of the crowd. So, i saw clearly the
> audience's reactions. And WHEN the whole VIP
> section is on fire (something unusual), the
> conclusion about the concert gets clearest...

What i meant to say was "the only one on this board"! All i could read was all those negative reviews. And Why!?!?!?
Energy and love beetween Stones and the crowd was so amazing and it was great to feel it and to be part of it!!! Fantastic!! Well it's really hard to explane it in words. You should be there.
And this is what makes Milano show so perfect!
i know stones can and will play better (they played better in Vienna yesterday), but it will be hard to get that crazy(in positive waysmiling smiley) atomsphere and energy again , like it was at San Siro show!!!
IT was a pure WILD Rock 'n' roll show!!!!!!

Date: July 15, 2006 22:49

Riffhard84, glad to hear that in Vienna they played even better, but IMO also musically (forget for the moment the amazing crowd) Milan gig wasn't bad at all. Finally, i think the truth is what "NY Times" wrote when the tour was starting, in Boston: a Stones concert can be stellar but you can be sure that, in the worst case, a Stones concert it will be decent. Atleast. Sometimes i think that what makes the Stones so great live act is how high is their "nadir", not only their "zenith". But, honestly, i think Milan concert was much more than a decent gig. I mean musically.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home