Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New ALBUM / do we want one?do we deserve one?
Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: July 10, 2006 02:19

If the stones record again I would like to see them go back into their good out-takes ala Tatto You and come up with a great album that doesn't sound like it was written in one sitting,also they should let Woodie write a little,what do the stones fans at large think about that? PS I like ABB,it was good to have new product when it came out,I wouldn't want them to be like the WHO and tour without anything out.Although the WHO still rocks.

Re: New ALBUM / do we want one?do we deserve one?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 10, 2006 02:40

yes i want another album, no doubt about it, and tour of course

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 10, 2006 02:42

definitely

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 10, 2006 02:45

no point unless they have something worth showing the world. the problem with abb, to me, is that it smacks of an act without anything noteworthy to put out but they do it because they had to in order to justify their existence, tour, etc.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 10, 2006 03:10

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-07 21:58 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: July 10, 2006 04:17

Yes I want and deserve one. But I'd like to see more involvement from the other members.
-Let Ronnie write
-Make Keith actually work and create some decent riffs
-Don't rely on Mick only like they did for ABB. It's not fair to Mick for to have to basically write all the songs and then let Keith come up with something subpar so he can have a songwriting credit. I think the songs on Goddess are just as good as anything ABB, and Mick wrote most of those songs himself, so I think it's clear who the songwriting power is currently.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 10, 2006 04:18

Only if I produce it

Date: July 10, 2006 04:23

I'd be glad to have one,depending on its quality.I think the way to go is half Tattoo You style and half 100 % new songs.Jagger has stated,if you believe him or not,that it is easier for them to write brand new songs than to finish songs that weren't finished before.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: July 10, 2006 04:59

Despite what is wanted and deserved, I don't think there will be another new one.

My opinion. No inside knowledge.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 10, 2006 05:56

More harp!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 10, 2006 06:01

How about a blues album, produced by Rubin

Date: July 10, 2006 06:02

I could go for one more for sure ,just mix it up a little mabye do a Glimmer Twins production instead of Don WAS,close the book on that era.Hire someone to go back to Dirty Work to the present find about 6to 8 unfinished songs like that one Some of Us are on our Knees,let ronnie bring in 2,keith 2,mick 2,bring in charlie and work it out!!!!!P.S. great news about the WHO2

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 10, 2006 06:35

you know what they say about "Getting what you want" . . .

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 10, 2006 07:09

No we don't deserve one. 30+ years of albums, and I'd say we've been spoiled. We've gotten 10 times the output of material to enjoy than Beatles or Doors fans have. There is nothing else to prove. Besides, whatever they do put out, for all the fans that may be endeared to the new product, there are just as many retractors that will have a problem with it. Fans complain they're trying to be too retro and that they should try and sound more current. Then we complain that they sound lame trying to be current and need to go old school with it. After that we complain about the horns, backup singers, etc. So then they give us something like "A Bigger Bang" - an album minus all that - and what do we do? We complain! The songs aren't good enough this time is what we say.

Here's a challenge then. Let's see some of us on here write better songs for the Stones than "Rough Justice", "This Place is Empty", "Back of My Hand", "Let Me Down Slow", "Laugh I Nearly Died" or "Infamy". Go ahead. I am sure that while they're out there night after night, afer 40-odd years, writing brilliant songs and albums that they'll realize that we are the superior minds. We know what's best for them after all.

They're merely the Rolling Stones after all. WE have the internet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-10 07:13 by theimposter.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 10, 2006 07:34

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-07 21:57 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Richard Deaner ()
Date: July 10, 2006 08:02

melillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes i want another album, no doubt about it, and
> tour of course

I believe we'll be getting both!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-10 08:03 by Richard Deaner.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 10, 2006 11:23

I want one yes. Do we deserve one? I'm not so sure.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 10, 2006 13:35

i would also like them to do a tattoo you type album
or a blues album with lots of harmonica

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 10, 2006 14:20

Do we want one? Hell yeah!
Do we deserve one? Eehh...
Can we expect one? Don't know really.
In the 'near' future? Hell no!
Perhaps another live album? 'sigh'

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 10, 2006 14:41

whats this 'do we deserve one' nonsense? If the band wish to record again, the public 'deserving' one or not is of no relevance. Sales and the personal opinion of a few people are irrelevant to whether a record is good or not, or whether or not it should be made in the first place. To listen to some people, you'd think we were in some kind of 'Waynes World' with all this 'we're not worthy' crap...

I honestly cant see the Stones putting together a new album of original material again, for various reasons

1) They dont as of now have a record contract to do one, and dont appear to be in any rush to sign with a new label
2) The last one under-performed sales-wise, despite the fact that they did a massive tour behind it and played in front of the biggest worldwide Tv audience of their career
3) the gaps between albums are growing all the time, and a LOT can and may happen by the time they would get around to making another
4) They dont have enough faith in new material to play the songs live - and traditionally theyve needed new material to justify going on the road (which has now changed)
5) they appear to have accepted (or have the belief) that the people who go to see them dont want to hear new songs

In short, I believe that for various reasons their level of motivation and inspiration to make another record of new material is too low for it to be likely to happen.

theyre at a stage now where they actually CAN go on the road without a new product to promote and whereas in the past, theyd have been reluctant to do so, that attitude has changed. However, having already exhausted the concept of touring behind a greatest hits record, theyre unlikely to try that again anytime soon either

I think most people assume the current tour will be their last big-scale world tour. Add that to the fact that theyre out of contract and they cant really tour again behind a hits package and it appears that future album/tour concepts are somewhat limited in scope.

Could mean a change in direction IF they choose to tour beyond the current trek, ie shorter tours and not necessarily doing so behind a new record.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 10, 2006 14:45

"4) They dont have enough faith in new material to play the songs live - and traditionally theyve needed new material to justify going on the road (which has now changed) "

Don't they play around 3/4 new songs per show? More than the Who are doing at the mo????

Do I want a new Cd?.... defo yes! Acoustic with Rubins producing and the whole band involved in the creation.
ABB at this stage in their career is fab.
Just check out the press it received!
Do we deserve one? Depends if you wanna seriously take on board the moaning from a persistent minority on this board....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 10, 2006 14:55

I wouldn't be so sure they are no longer under contract to Virgin. I believe Stonesdoug has heard of an extension being quietly signed with no terms disclosed (probably not megabucks or there would have been a press release). Add to this, Mick noted he has started writing new songs over the break, I think it likely there will either be a new Jagger solo album or a Stones album in Fall 2008. If there won't be a new Stones album and they do another world tour, it would likely be behind the long-rumored outtakes package for which they could always find a "Don't Stop" style song to play as the one new original at each concert.

Date: July 10, 2006 14:59

ablett Wrote:
> >
> Don't they play around 3/4 new songs per show?
> More than the Who are doing at the mo????

still not very many, though compared to previous tours, which would lead me to assume they dont have a lot of faith in the songs (personally I cant see why)

In the Who's defence, their 'new' songs are still unreleased, so theyve more excuse for not playing too many of them than the Stones have.

>
> Do I want a new Cd?.... defo yes! Acoustic with
> Rubins producing and the whole band involved in
> the creation.

that would do me too! Ive said many times before that Rubin is the guy who would bring something wonderful out of them. Wont happen though. He wouldnt last five minutes with them. Rubin has said that Jagger couldnt deal with him (on Wandering Spirit) telling him he 'could write better songs than this' because he was too used to being surrounded by people telling him everything he did was wonderful. And you can only imagine how Keith would react to him..LOL

> ABB at this stage in their career is fab.

agreed

> Just check out the press it received!
> Do we deserve one? Depends if you wanna seriously
> take on board the moaning from a persistent
> minority on this board....

well, I dont take it seriously as a sweeping generalisation of all of the people who actually bought the record...do you? Most people who bought it probably just enjoy it for what it is and dont spend more hours on fan forums arguing about how good or bad it is than they do listening to it. So, I dont see the 'do we deserve one' argument as anything other than preposterous

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-10 15:16 by Gazza.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 10, 2006 15:01

Good post!

Date: July 10, 2006 15:06

Rocky Dijon Wrote:
> I wouldn't be so sure they are no longer under
> contract to Virgin. I believe Stonesdoug has heard
> of an extension being quietly signed with no terms
> disclosed (probably not megabucks or there would
> have been a press release). Add to this, Mick
> noted he has started writing new songs over the
> break, I think it likely there will either be a
> new Jagger solo album or a Stones album in Fall
> 2008. If there won't be a new Stones album and
> they do another world tour, it would likely be
> behind the long-rumored outtakes package for which
> they could always find a "Don't Stop" style song
> to play as the one new original at each concert.

Christ..I'd hate it if the Stones extended their contract with Virgin. What the hell for? The label has under-promoted them disastrously in the last few years -something they have a track record of doing, apparently. Plus their recent release policy regarding the Stones would suggest theyre tidying up a few loose ends and cashing in their chips before the band depart the label. Unless they have given them some kind of option on distributing a collection of previously unreleased masters, I cant see what would possibly make them want to stay with that shower of under-achievers

Virgin dont deserve the Stones.

Date: July 10, 2006 15:22

I'm asking do we deserve one because When ABB came out we were so happy for new product,funny thing about it ,the only negative things I heard about ABB it came from this site.The younger generation loves this album because they are not so caught up in their history,and they just listened to it without all the extra baggage!!No Exile this,Tatto YOU that,etc,etc,they just soak up the guitar playing and drumming or whatever they like,so I stand behind my question do we and I deserve another Stones record!?

Date: July 10, 2006 15:58

With respect, Curtis - its still irrelevant. EVERY album no matter how good is going to have it's critics. The only issue is whether the band feel like they should/can make one and whether their record company consider it releasable. You cant really say that 'we' dont deserve one because some people on a fan site dont rate it highly - nor can you say we do because a few 'younger' people (still a tiny minority) happened to like it.

I agree with you that it should be listened to on its own terms and not without that baggage. However, bands like the Stones are long used to the inevitability that whenever they do ANYTHING, with a band of their history and reputation its always going to be compared to what theyve done before. Theyre not unique in that respect by any stretch of the imagination - what was it Bob Dylan said, something along the lines of "every man lives in the shadow of what hes already done.." - and it didnt do HIM any harm...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 10, 2006 17:29

theimposter Wrote:
> No we don't deserve one. 30+ years of albums, and
> I'd say we've been spoiled. We've gotten 10 times
> the output of material to enjoy than Beatles or
> Doors fans have.

Might wanna double-check your math....

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 10, 2006 17:38

curtisdavis Wrote:
> The younger generation
> loves this album because they are not so caught up
> in their history,and they just listened to it
> without all the extra baggage!!

The Stones at this point of their career do take that extra baggage themselves. Do you think the Stones would charge as much as they do for tickets or would they do this kind of mammoth tours if it wasn't because of their own baggage??? They do what they do because they are the Stones, and that's a pretty heavy baggage to get rid of.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: July 10, 2006 19:48

theimposter Wrote:
> No we don't deserve one. 30+ years of albums, and
> I'd say we've been spoiled. We've gotten 10 times
> the output of material to enjoy than Beatles or
> Doors fans have. There is nothing else to prove.
> Besides, whatever they do put out, for all the
> fans that may be endeared to the new product,
> there are just as many retractors that will have a
> problem with it. Fans complain they're trying to
> be too retro and that they should try and sound
> more current. Then we complain that they sound
> lame trying to be current and need to go old
> school with it. After that we complain about the
> horns, backup singers, etc. So then they give us
> something like "A Bigger Bang" - an album minus
> all that - and what do we do? We complain! The
> songs aren't good enough this time is what we say.
>
>
> Here's a challenge then. Let's see some of us on
> here write better songs for the Stones than "Rough
> Justice", "This Place is Empty", "Back of My
> Hand", "Let Me Down Slow", "Laugh I Nearly Died"
> or "Infamy". Go ahead. I am sure that while
> they're out there night after night, afer 40-odd
> years, writing brilliant songs and albums that
> they'll realize that we are the superior minds. We
> know what's best for them after all.
>
> They're merely the Rolling Stones after all. WE
> have the internet!

I was going to write something for this thread - but why? You said it all - goddammit!! ;-)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home