Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Are you afraid this is the last Stones tour?
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 26, 2006 16:36

Gazza Wrote:
------------
....and (of course we're talking hypothetically here)
> if the Stones wish to turn into Barbra Streisand,
> then you're welcome to them. I REALLY dont think
> I'd be missing anything.

you're of course, correct, Gazza, we can only hope a Vegas-style residency, doesn't happen.
Though,i fear, sadly, when it comes to a choice between Dollars and Dignity,
-dollars win every time.
Perhaps, i've just hit on ,the ideal title for their next Live album:-

anyone for:- "A Fistful Of Dollars"? or "Dollars Before Dignity"?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 26, 2006 17:42

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I obviously havent 'whined' coherently and
> frequently enough for you of late ;-)

LOL! That made my day.

> based on my humble f**king opinion and taste.
> Which, as a paying consumer faced with the choice
> of deciding whether a 'product' thats on offer is
> to my liking or not, is the only one that
> matters.

Oh. Well...... You decided that it was good enough didn't you?

> and (of course we're talking hypothetically here)
> if the Stones wish to turn into Barbra Streisand,
> then you're welcome to them. I REALLY dont think
> I'd be missing anything.

Hmmm. If they did play Vegas for a whole month or whatever, I'd wanna see them. he music doesn't become worse by that.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 26, 2006 17:50

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Oh. Well...... You decided that it was good enough
> didn't you?
>

yeah - are you suggesting I should use someone else's opinion more than my own? Like..you'd do the same of course!

Your own opinion and preference for what you spend your money on is the ONLY criteria that matters.
>
> > and (of course we're talking hypothetically
> here)
> > if the Stones wish to turn into Barbra
> Streisand,
> > then you're welcome to them. I REALLY dont
> think
> > I'd be missing anything.
>
> Hmmm. If they did play Vegas for a whole month or
> whatever, I'd wanna see them. the music doesn't
> become worse by that.

your choice, and like I say, youd be welcome to them. Enjoy paying a thousand euros for airfare and $1,000 a ticket for a 90 minute show surrounded by an audience of blue-rinsed high rollers who couldnt care less if is the Stones, Celine Dio or Wayne Newton. I reserve the right to be NOT that desperate, however. Faced with that scenario, I'd prefer to stick wth what I've got over the last 25 years and remember them when they were a rock n roll band who (to borrow Adrian's expression) had some dignity.

Date: June 26, 2006 17:57

Yeah, but anyhoo: You'd wanna see them anyway wouldn't you? I bet you'd had the urge to.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 26, 2006 18:02

At the minute - yes, absolutely. As much as I dislike stadium shows and despite the fact I'm on the board of the IORRSWA (IORR Setlist Whiners Association), if I had the money, time and freedom to do so, I'd be at every single show this summer. I still love going to a Stones show, I still love the music and I enjoy having a great time before, during and after the event with friends I've met over the years. I've built numerous summer holidays around Stones tours down the years (luckily I have an understanding spouse) and it'll be a wrench when I no longer have all of that to look forward to. (You mentioned in another thread about people who have been fans for a long time not having the 'excitment' about the prospect of a Stones tour...personally, I do - however the cynicism many of us have is mostly due to different reasons, more to do with the fact that the music has become a minor factor and other things are now far more important. A sign of the times, but not a welcome one, exspecially if you remember when it used to be very different)

In that scenario described above, however - no. I can honestly say I'd have zero interest. Hopefully, it'll never get to that - and in all honesty I doubt it ever will.

I have to say, though, the Stones themselves are doing their best these days to make the reality of not having a tour to look forward to a lot easier to deal with than it used to be

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-27 00:16 by Gazza.

Date: June 26, 2006 18:49

Well amen to that, but I'd still go see them.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 26, 2006 18:55

~Would you still go if Keith kicked you with his boots? I wonder.

Date: June 26, 2006 18:58

No. Don't be stupid. Why would I want to do that. As you might know by now, I do not care about some things. One of these things is that I don't care where the Stones play as long as they play because it's a gas every time. Life's too short to bitch, although I'm not sure you agree Rooster old buddy old pal.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 26, 2006 19:04

I look younger than you ...and I dont need my picture...to be send with every post...but its allright Kent....When I was 12 I did defend The Stones...they was atacked...my friends say they was old!!Growin old is fun Kent!!!Its all over before you know!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 26, 2006 19:05

good post, Gazza. I'm in the same basic "place" as you - the show has become more the excuse for a vacation or a get-together with like-minded crazies. I still enjoy the shows, too, but it's all become a pretty-much been-there-heard-that package now. I've given up expecting something extraordinary - it's always better to keep expectations in check, anyway.

To be perfectly honest - my musical tastes have changed/matured - and for such pure musical entertainment alone, I enjoy many other acts more than the Stones. I just had a great time at a local blues fest a week ago. 7 hours of bliss hearing some of the greats in the biz. On a pure musical level - I can't remember the last time I was so impressed. And, the party, venue and atmosphere/environment were perfect too.

Date: June 26, 2006 19:08

rooster Wrote:
> I look younger than you ...and I dont need my
> picture...to be send with every post.

You look younger than me? CONGRATULATIONS MATE!!!! Do you want me to make you a paper hat then?

> When I was 12 I did defend The
> Stones...they was atacked...my friends say they
> was old!!Growin old is fun Kent!!!Its all over
> before you know!!

I'm not defending anyone. Damn, you're a though banana when it comes to understanding stuff aren't you?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 26, 2006 19:11

Thats because im not clever Kent...and you just said you didnt care about that!!So walk your talk!!

Date: June 26, 2006 19:14

I'm a walkie-talkie???

Well, I don't care about it. You just be dumb mate. I love you anyway. :-D

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 26, 2006 19:14

I'm not afraid this will be the last Stones tour at all. Yeah, when it's all over I'll be a little disappointed, but the end has to come sometime doesn’t it? The Licks tour was my first seeing them as a fan and one wish Is that I was a little older and had the chance to see them on earlier tours.

Personally, I think we'll get more Stones shows in the future. I'm not sure how they'll work them out, as I'm sure they won't be part of some grand tour. I guess they'll just have to adapt. I know many here don't believe they're capable of this, but when push comes to shove and they're faced with the realisation that they have to change their "system", and then maybe they'll get on and do so.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 26, 2006 21:14

I am also a set list whiner and part of the same association as Gazza, but it is only because I love my band. I can't tell you how let down I was at Fenway and Hartford to see them play almost identical set lists not only as the night before but as last tour when I saw them in the same cities. They gave the impression that they are only playing what is easy and don't care about giving the fans something different. I will always have a good time at their shows but this tour was the first time I was ever dissappointed in one of their shows.

I can't fault someone for getting hurt like Keith did, yeah maybe he should be more careful with himself and the reschuling of dates could have been better, but I am not even sure who can be blamed for that. However my feeling about the Stones and their shows came before this happened, it came at the start of the tour when I realized it was another stadium greatest hits tour. So many newspapers in various cities said they were good, but each one seemed to mention something about the same run through of songs. I can't think of another band that keeps everything the same when it comes to their shows. I thought they learned from the Licks tour that fans loved hearing some different songs.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: June 26, 2006 21:55

Yack. If I had known how many grumpy, middleaged, bitter men with bad attitudes and no higher ambition in life than to bash she Stones, whine about ticket prices and set lists... I'd never have started this thread.
For your own sake: Beware that people with a negative attitude in general live shorter and get more ulcers, more heart trouble and have more misserable lives than the rest.
Try to enjoy life - despite all the terrible things the Stones obviously did to you. My sympathy goes to your wives... I'd get a divorce... Think about what company you make! Wow! Enjoy yourselves.
And Jumping Kent - Danish Dynamite - this is NOT about you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-26 22:25 by shidoobee.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 26, 2006 22:18

Yes, but I hope not.

Posted by: stonesctl ()
Date: June 26, 2006 22:29

Yes and No. At this juncture of my short lived Stones fanaticism (been Stoned since 1997), I've come to the conclusion that I appreciate the Stones based on my horrendous golfing ability.

I keep trying 18 holes (stadium shows), but I generally only get a few good shots in (metaphor for songs/rifts/vocals) that make me want to keep coming back.

I perform a lot better on the par 3, 9 hole course (metaphor for arena shows), and I'm generally satisfied with my overall play (setlist) because I am hitting a few more good shots than the 18 hole course (better song selection).

Mini-golf is where I'm at my best (club shows). I can often hit several holes in one (metaphor for rarities) and while it doesn't take me long to finish (shorter setlist) I can usually celebrate a fantastic round (generally pleased with the entire effort).

Basically, I'd much rather the Stones play Mini-golf than 18 holes, but I think we'll only see Keith and Ronnie on the Mini course once it is all said and done. However, I'll never stop going to the 18 holes so long as I keep hitting those few awesome shots.

cheers.

Date: June 27, 2006 00:20

shidoobee Wrote:
> Yack. If I had known how many grumpy, middleaged,
> bitter men with bad attitudes and no higher
> ambition in life than to bash she Stones, whine
> about ticket prices and set lists... I'd never
> have started this thread.

lets hope youve learned your lesson, then. I bet I've a better attitude to life and higher ambition than you have for starters (and I bet I can enjoy myself more at a concert as well)- as have plenty of other people here who are obviously more capable of engaging in a constructive discussion without being abusive and bitchy..

As usual, the biggest whiners are the sycophants who 'whine about the whiners'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-27 00:21 by Gazza.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 27, 2006 00:23

Well put Gazza! Actually I sympathize with the grumpy, middleaged, bitter men too. And I'm on my way to that Promised Land in a few years.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: June 27, 2006 00:40

Gazza, dear - I think you lost that bet...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 27, 2006 00:52

my money's on Gazza

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: June 27, 2006 01:05

Who cares ? This might be any one individuals last time they see the Stones. nobody (especially Keith) knows what's around the corner.
I sure as hell am not going to get myself worried about what might or might not happen after this summer, I'm just going to go and have a great time.
It'll end when it ends, probably when we least expect it.
Chris

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 27, 2006 01:05

We could only be so lucky..hell we could just chip in and get them to play for us some day...

JR

Date: June 27, 2006 01:34

shidoobee Wrote:
> Gazza, dear - I think you lost that bet...

I'm not your 'dear'...

what I will say is this...its quite ironic that you start a thread about how much you dread not seeing another Stones tour and then , not being able to handle the fact that other people have other things in their lives that mean theyre not quite as depressed about it as you are, you feel the need to call THEM 'miserable' and suggest they have 'no ambition', and choose to get personal and bring their wives into your argument. If you cant handle how other people personally feel about the future of the Rolling Stones to the degree where it appears to make you bitter and angry, then thats your problem - not mine.

as for 'the terrible things the Stones have done to me' - I reckon I've had more fun in 30 years of being a Stones fan, listening to a couple of thousand boots and attending a few dozen shows than you've had. Whilst that doesnt make me more of a fan than anyone else, I dont need to justify my 'worthiness' as a Stones fan to you or anyone.

My apologies for having a life outside the Rolling Stones and for not feeling as suicidal as you seem to be if they dont tour again. I've enjoyed the ride for the last 30 years or so as you can see if you read my previous posts with both eyes open. I'll be sad when its over, but I'll deal with it in the best way I can. I'm not so sure you'll be able to do, so I think between the two of us I win the 'least miserable' and 'no ambition' debate - dear.

My life's quite settled and happy and I'm quite content with it. I hope for your future sanity yours is as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-27 01:36 by Gazza.

Date: June 27, 2006 01:41

Hound Dog Wrote:
> I am also a set list whiner and part of the same
> association as Gazza, but it is only because I
> love my band. I can't tell you how let down I was
> at Fenway and Hartford to see them play almost
> identical set lists not only as the night before
> but as last tour when I saw them in the same
> cities. They gave the impression that they are
> only playing what is easy and don't care about
> giving the fans something different. I will always
> have a good time at their shows but this tour was
> the first time I was ever dissappointed in one of
> their shows.

the amount of people who cant grasp that attitude and take it as some personal affront never ceases to amaze me. Its not like you go to a show to be disappointed, nor is there any harm in wanting a great band to remain ambitious - and be even greater as a result.

When you follow a bloody great band, you expect high standards (and if said band charges a lot of money for the privilege, the payback is that expectations become higher). The Stones didnt become the greatest band of all time by coasting as some people seem to think they should do - its natural to want them to appear driven and motivated to excel. We all take pride in them when they deliver the goods after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-27 04:35 by Gazza.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: June 27, 2006 05:28

If this is indeed their last tour, then I feel badly for a lot of my European friends on here who have to put up with the postponed and/or cancelled shows. That sucks and it's not fair to you guys, especially those who have never had a chance to see them before. But hopefully, it won't be their last tour. Keeping my fingers crossed. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rick326 ()
Date: June 27, 2006 06:52

I've been Rolling Stone fan since 1963. It would be hard for me to believe that the end could ever come! "The Rolling Stones just keep on Rollin" will always be planted in my mind as this band has survived forever. Let's hope the fun never stops!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 27, 2006 07:40

haven't you guys heard Sweet Neocon?

the stones are ALREADY streisand!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 27, 2006 09:41

Are you afraid this is the last Stones tour?
Yes.

But they already said in 1973 that this would be their last tour!
But now they are definitely older men with some health problems.

Do you think that they will do more concerts in the future without touring?
It depends on how much they can live without gigantic tours, gigantic stadiums, gigantic fame, gigantic money... I'm afraid this would be very hard for them because everything is so VERY much based on profits these days.

What does, in your opinion, mainly prevent them from playing a few concerts each year only?
Well, look at the lacklustre song selection. The basic truth in the setlist moaning is the fact that they basically play a greatest hits show. Why should you go on like this for another decade? Where is the spirit of the STRIPPED era which is the last period where they really wanted to go on creatively?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home