Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The last "classic" Stones song
Date: June 21, 2006 05:35

Edward Twining Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing post Tattoo You stands up with the Stones
> best.

Nothing they did anytime matches their best otherwise,their best would not be their best.Nothing from Between The Buttons matches their best.It all depends on what actually is their best.Most of the classics are among their best however,other songs (including songs made after 1981) not known as classics are as good,if not better than some of the second level "classics".Their modern songs have very little or no chance,regardless of their quality,to become classics.I believe this is due to the reasons I suggested in my first post on this thread.What happened after 1981?Did they miraculously all of a sudden lose their talent?Their experience hasn't helped them at all?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-21 05:39 by Theif in the Night.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 21, 2006 05:49

I was listening to some Van Morrison tonight and he had a great quote when introducing his live classic "All in the Game" in 1983 at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. The quote is:

"This kind of music is not on the radio, it's not on TV and it's not on the charts...and THANK GOD FOR THAT!"

The audience cracks up laughing.

I'm sort of grateful that the Stones are somewhat underground these days. I actually enjoy the fact that the Stones are no longer current trend setters and hitmakers.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: June 21, 2006 06:11

dtf. iwtl. and lind classic

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 21, 2006 06:22

LeedsLungs71 Wrote:
> I'm sort of grateful that the Stones are somewhat
> underground these days. I actually enjoy the fact
> that the Stones are no longer current trend
> setters and hitmakers.

The Stones underground?
LMFAO!

They're still top 20 singles hitmakers in Europe.

Date: June 21, 2006 06:27

Don't forget they can still crack the top 85 in the U.S.Wasn't one of the Bridges singles in the top 35 or 40 (U.S.)?

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 21, 2006 16:44

In the U.S. they are an "oldies" act and certainly not in any hit parade. That makes them underground in the States. The only time you hear Stones on FM radio is when an oldies/classic rock station serves up a Brown Sugar or Satisfaction etc.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 21, 2006 17:07

I don't know if somebody already mentioned it, but SMU is a much older classic than some might think. As most of you know: It's seeds were sawn during the "Goat Patties" sessions in '72. And even the rocking version might have begun during the "Black and Blue" or "Emotional Rescue" sessions. Makes our nice little topic just a little bit sadder.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 21, 2006 17:13

I think there are a number of GREAT songs on A Bigger Bang...

She Saw Me Coming
Laughed I Nearly Died
Rough Justice
Back Of My Hand
Oh No Not You Again...

All are contenders...

Laughed is my fave

JR

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 21, 2006 17:24

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 02:38 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: June 21, 2006 17:59

Start me up :last worldwide classic
Out of control :Last fans'classic (like midnight rambler this already good song has been magnified Live and achieved the status of a Stones fan 's classic).
ABB :laugh and let me down slow should have received more airplay.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 21, 2006 21:49

Thief in the Night the Stones definitely lost something after Tattoo You although it was probably sooner than that (1977-79?) as many of highlights from the album originated in the mid-late seventies.
I reckon shortly after the Some Girls album and and 78 tour the Stones lost their perspective in writing and arranging songs. Even the most promising later songs are a little sketchy as though good ideas are not fully developed and many songs begin to ring hollow.
I don't think Start Me Up, Worried About You and Waiting On A Friend would sound inferior alongside the Sticky Fingers and Exile songs but almost any of the songs from their later albums would.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 21, 2006 21:58

Beelyboy wrote:

>nice to see your post with new songs...i think you picked the cream of abb
tho for me 'let me down slow' is a perfect number...i love that one and think it's got
really great gits, harmonies, hook, lead vokes etc...and shoulda been a single...perfect for radio...
and so far...since that first week last september...it's still my personal fave from abb...and for me anyway, it's a top notch classic...beautifully done and brand new...tho obviously many others don't feel that way

I REALLY like the new album....and think its the best since Exile...but what do I know....I bought Satisfaction single as soon as I heard it, like early June '65. The Bang cuts to the chase. Just the album I have wanted from the guys...

JR

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 21, 2006 22:00

Agree with Edward. I think it's called the "muse." KR & MJ lost their magic touch after the SG era of songs. That's not a criticism. I firmly believe that all art creation is a function of "muse" which the artist does not control. Mick & Keith had a remarkable run of songwriting for well over a decade. But, since then, it's been VERY sporadic, at best.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 21, 2006 22:09

I agree that the Stones lost perpective in writing otherwise you would not wait 8 years before releasing a new album. Dylan and Springsteen did not lose that sort of urgency. I think this is due to Keith lack of implication and /or inspiration. Repeating ad lib for years that " the next album is as good as Exile" means in a certain way that you have surrender. I don't like what I just wrote.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 21, 2006 22:09

I agree with bellybubble abouut Let Me Down Real Slow, especially the harmonies. It sounds like a radio ready single to me.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 21, 2006 22:30

if y'all are looking for the next great one.....look directly at "Under The Radar"...........it's got the riffs, the vocal, the attitude, the groove........................BUT they haven't played it.......instead they buried it on the DVD instead of putting it on A Bigger Bang.........I guess they really don't care since they have enough "classics"

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: June 21, 2006 22:48

Not many songs got such ovations as Saint of me at the BTB tour.

Date: June 22, 2006 20:44

I didn't think 'Under The Radar' was too special although i've only heard it a couple of times.

It's the more typical 'Stones being the Stones'songs that i've liked least in more recent years 'Rough Justice, 'Oh No Not You Again' etc. However 'Laugh I Nearly Died shows more potential - i'm just not keen on Jagger's vocal particuarly as the song gathers momentum - i think he's rather heavy handed.

Date: June 22, 2006 22:30

Edward Twining Wrote:
> I didn't think 'Under The Radar' was too special
> although i've only heard it a couple of times.
>
> It's the more typical 'Stones being the
> Stones'songs that i've liked least in more recent
> years 'Rough Justice, 'Oh No Not You Again' etc.
> However 'Laugh I Nearly Died shows more potential
> - i'm just not keen on Jagger's vocal particuarly
> as the song gathers momentum - i think he's rather
> heavy handed.

.............now that's a heavy beast of burden....I mean according to you ....... why should they even bother???? they'll never sound as good and/or forget better than they did previously............. and when they do sound "sort" of good.......you hate the singer............

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: June 22, 2006 22:42

I think the last great Stones tune is........I'm thinking..........still thinking.......even more thinking..........is Undercover. There you go I said it. If you don't like it well screw you coz imagine if they had recorded it in say 69/ 70 you'd all be going fcukin great man....Whatever...

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: June 22, 2006 22:59

LeedsLungs71 Wrote:
> I was listening to some Van Morrison tonight and
> he had a great quote when introducing his live
> classic "All in the Game" in 1983 at the Great
> American Music Hall in San Francisco. The quote
> is:
>
> "This kind of music is not on the radio, it's not
> on TV and it's not on the charts...and THANK GOD
> FOR THAT!"
>
>
> The audience cracks up laughing.
>
> I'm sort of grateful that the Stones are somewhat
> underground these days. I actually enjoy the fact
> that the Stones are no longer current trend
> setters and hitmakers.

Hi Leeds, reading that reminded me of a Tom Waits bootleg I have, where he says "yeah, yeah, I know. You wanna hear all the hits"

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: June 22, 2006 23:11

I wonder who decides when a song becomes a 'classic' or a 'golden oldie', or whatever? This person must be found............and soon...... smiling smiley

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-22 23:12 by Stikkyfinger.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 22, 2006 23:15

Stikkyfinger Wrote:
> I wonder who decides when a song becomes a
> 'classic' or a 'golden oldie', or whatever?

You called?

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: June 22, 2006 23:18

They are not everymans classic anymore cause they do not get the exposure they used to. Funny that, actually....if you look back 15 years, US treated them as a current band while Europe largely ignored them...now it is the opposite. In Denmark eg they have gone straight to the top of the chart every time since Steel Wheels - and they sell more tickets and faster every time. The same - I believe - is the case in the rest of Scandinavia. Which should put to rest the conspiracy theories that they only left out the concerts they could not sell out. If I remember correctly, Gothenburg sold out in five hours or so....still they left it off the 2006 schedule.

ABB is a classic album and way better than most shit out there......I rest my case (for now)

Date: June 23, 2006 04:46

well i know a tone of people who instanly know mixed emotions.

Date: June 23, 2006 05:28

LAUGH I NEARLY DIED.....IF ONLY THEY PLAYED IT

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: June 23, 2006 08:28

let me down slow

john scialfa

Date: June 23, 2006 22:45

Rip This it's the lyrics in particular that i dislike about those more typical sounding Stones songs - 'staring down your tits' and the like is cringe inducing and a far cry from the more creative lyrics of Brown Sugar for example.

The Stones lyric writing particuarly on rockers is cheap and one dimensional these days.

Posted by: dbb ()
Date: June 23, 2006 22:52

I agree with those folks who mentioned Undercover. I think it's the last iime they released a song where they sounded somewhat menacing or dangerous. While not crucial, a lot of their great hits (JJF, Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, etc.) had that edge.

Date: June 23, 2006 22:58

Edward Twining Wrote:
> Rip This it's the lyrics in particular that i
> dislike about those more typical sounding Stones
> songs - 'staring down your tits' and the like is
> cringe inducing and a far cry from the more
> creative lyrics of Brown Sugar for example.
>
> The Stones lyric writing particuarly on rockers is
> cheap and one dimensional these days.

I have issues with some of those lyrics too.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1099
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home