Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Dylan's album has a title
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 12, 2006 19:04

[www.nme.com]

Anyone think this has some connection to the Chaplin movie of the same title?

Re: OT: Dylan's album has a title
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 12, 2006 19:06

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: June 12, 2006 19:31

No, I don't think it has anything to do with CC. He probably feels "Modern Times" are a gigantic mess (which they are) so maybe he wrote some songs about them - listen to "Things Have Changed". Glad he's putting it out in August - last time he picked a bad date 9/11/2001 - opps

Date: June 12, 2006 19:37

Dylan has been often compared to Chaplin, so I think it's not just a coincidence...

Date: June 12, 2006 20:03

Nah, it's not a coincidence. Dylan seems to be very interested in art from the early part of 20th century...and older.
He's mentioned "living in the new dark ages"...the title "Modern Times" is in the same vein.

Date: June 12, 2006 23:07

IT'S A COINCIDENCE !!!! You boys have it all wrong, roll up your sleeves and we'll take it outside...solve this like REAL MEN.......last one standing wins !!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 12, 2006 23:18

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dylan has been often compared to Chaplin, so I
> think it's not just a coincidence...

my first thought too

and the first person to call Bob "the little tramp" gets slapped.... smiling smiley

Date: June 12, 2006 23:21

MicksBrain Wrote:
> IT'S A COINCIDENCE !!!! You boys have it all
> wrong, roll up your sleeves and we'll take it
> outside...solve this like REAL MEN.......last one
> standing wins !!!!

why outside? the bar's inside....

Date: June 13, 2006 00:55

Cause I don't want your blood and teeth and eyeball and urine messing up the bar's interior when I get to pounding on you boys......You'll think the TGV hit you...

Date: June 13, 2006 01:01

not a very chaplinesque explanation....

Date: June 13, 2006 01:08

I was spinning my cain as I wrote it....Come on, it's all a joke...I'm not gonna argue over a Dylan title....who the hell knows if he got it from Chaplin or not...(and who the hell cares) What I ACTUALLY care about is it takes him 5 years to put an album together these days. At 65 years old it doesn't look like we're gonna get many more new ones at 5 years apart..... BUT, Dylan still RULES !!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 13, 2006 01:08

Anyone else seen The Tramp And The Dictator - Turner Classic movies
narrated by Kenneth Branagh...Doco showing the comparisons between
Chaplin and @#$%&.........Very interesting, well worth watching.

ROCKMAN

Date: June 13, 2006 01:12

Rockman, I'm still catching up on my early Mel Gibson movies.....Hey, you're an Aussie, I have a quiz for you.

NAME AUSTRALIA'S BEST FILM DIRECTOR....

NAME 5 OF HIS FILMS....

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 13, 2006 01:29

Peter Weir gets my vote.

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
GALLIPOLI
THE LAST WAVE
YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY
WITNESS

And I think the Chaplin film was certainly an intended reference ("LOVE AND THEFT" got its title from a book).

Date: June 13, 2006 01:30

5 years is nothing. i like it that Bob doesn't bother unless/until he has something to say....

Date: June 13, 2006 01:32

Micks brain...well as a rockin' rough guess how about

Dead Poets Society
Truman Show
Gallipoli
Witness
Picnic at Hanging Rock

ROCKMAN

Date: June 13, 2006 01:33

Hey There ya go....Glams on de ball

ROCKMAN

Date: June 13, 2006 01:35

T&A Wrote:
> 5 years is nothing. i like it that Bob doesn't
> bother unless/until he has something to say....

Yea, and when he doesn't have much to say, he'll admit it, in the first strophe.

Date: June 13, 2006 01:39

ROCKMAN

Date: June 13, 2006 01:44

I heard the strophe Time Out Of Mind in a Warren Zeavon song, Accidently Like A Martyr. Certainly a connection there.

Rockman, have you read that one ?

Date: June 13, 2006 01:56

Erik....not entirely more like snatches from certain chapters...fairly serious read. Had more fun reading Nick Tosches' Where Dead Voices Gather - a crazy trip following the life, times and influences of Emmett Miller.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 13, 2006 02:32

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> He's mentioned "living in the new dark ages"...the
> title "Modern Times" is in the same vein.

Was that in the liner notes for World Gone Wrong, Erik?

Date: June 13, 2006 03:02

Glam Descendant Wrote:
> Peter Weir gets my vote.
>
> PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
> GALLIPOLI
> THE LAST WAVE
> YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY
> WITNESS
>
> Yeah, I think Peter Weir for sure - the dude is brilliant !! One of the greats. Between Glam and Rockman most films were mentioned except for 2 of MicksBrain's favorites:

FEARLESS - just love this film with Jeff Bridges and the transformation he goes through after surviving a nasty plane crash.

MOSQUITO COAST - Harrison Ford decides to leave America with his family and move to a jungle in Belize. Great film/Good idea (especially these last 5 years)

Don't know what he's been doing lately, any more great films?

Date: June 13, 2006 03:06

cc Wrote:
> Erik_Snow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He's mentioned "living in the new dark
> ages"...the
> > title "Modern Times" is in the same vein.
>
> Was that in the liner notes for World Gone Wrong,
> Erik?

Yea it's in those liner notes. I've seen it elsewhere too, but I can't remember where.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: June 13, 2006 05:33

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Rockman, I'm still catching up on my early Mel
> Gibson movies.....Hey, you're an Aussie, I have a
> quiz for you.
>
> NAME AUSTRALIA'S BEST FILM DIRECTOR....

Not sure of Australia's best film director, but the best G-Damn Beer on the planet (made in Australia of course) is VB!!! Sure wish I could get that stuff in the States.

Date: June 13, 2006 05:37

Well come down here crossfire ....
cause VB is for the girly breaths
Melbourne Bitter is for the dudes.

Ask Babboon he's an expert on Beer

ROCKMAN

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 13, 2006 05:46

...and don't forget - Bob's your uncle

Date: June 13, 2006 06:48

Bobby Dylan was BAD / He was the uncle that you never had.... (sung to the Dylan tune, "Lenny Bruce" from SHOT OF LOVE and the HARD TO HANDLE live video with Tom Petty)

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 13, 2006 11:34

>Don't know what he's been doing lately, any more great films?

Yes:

MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 13, 2006 15:21

from Columbia Records :

NEW YORK, June 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Bob Dylan's first new album in five years, Modern Times, will arrive in stores and online August 29. The artist's 44th album features 10 new Bob Dylan songs recorded this winter with Dylan on keyboards, guitars, harmonica and vocals, accompanied by his touring band.

Song titles on Modern Times include "Thunder On The Mountain," "Spirit On The Water," "Workingman's Blues," and "When The Deal Goes Down."

Columbia Records Chairman Steve Barnett stated, "A new Bob Dylan record is an event. Bob is that rare artist whose music defies all trends and resonates throughout all levels of our culture, and he continues to be as contemporary and relevant as any artist in music. We're approaching Modern Times as the third release in an outstanding trilogy of recorded works -- along with Time Out Of Mind and 'Love and Theft.' This is a staggering record by any standards, and is a major priority for our company, worldwide."

Bob Dylan is one of the world's most popular and acclaimed songwriters, musicians and performers, having sold nearly 100 million albums and performed literally thousands of shows around the world in a career spanning five decades.

His most recent studio albums, Time Out Of Mind and "Love & Theft" have been among his most commercially successful and critically lauded, each having sold more than a million copies in the U.S. and earning Grammy nominations for Album Of The Year (Time Out Of Mind won that award in 1998).

He wrote and recorded "Things Have Changed" for the 2000 film Wonder Boys, for which he received both the Academy Award and Golden Globe. The first volume of his memoirs, Chronicles, was one of the most acclaimed and best-selling non-fiction works of 2004, and last year's No Direction Home film, directed by Martin Scorsese, captivated audiences worldwide as it documented Dylan's early career and rise to fame. The film won a Peabody Award in 2006.

Bob Dylan's weekly XM Satellite Radio show, Theme Time Radio Hour, debuted in May and has quickly become one of that network's most popular programs.

and from rollingstone.com :

We just got a sneak preview of his upcoming album, Modern Times, due out on August 29th. Times, which Dylan produced himself, mixes elements of 2001’s Love and Theft – blues variations (think “Cry A While”) and whimsical ballads (think “Floater”) – with the darker, swampier vibe of the Daniel Lanois-produced classics Time Out of Mind and Oh Mercy. Only Dylan’s current touring band plays on the new one: ringing in our ears was the bone-chilling vamp “Ain’t Talkin’”, which may be Dylan’s most powerful album-closing epic ever. Other song titles include “Thunder On the Mountain,” “Spirit on the Water,” “Workingman’s Blues,” “When the Deal Goes Down” and “Neddy Moore.” Before the release of Modern Times, Dylan will be doing another summer tour of minor league ballparks, with Merle Haggard opening.

-- Austin Scaggs

thanks to justinkurian for posting both stories on Rocks Off.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home