Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is "Live Licks" That Bad?
Posted by: drake ()
Date: June 10, 2006 09:57

The sound on No Security is overall very good but I was at St. Louis when they performed the Last Time. It was AMAZING. Best song of the whole night. Unfortunately everytime I listen to No Security I have to fade it to the left so that I can hear Ronnie at proper volume. It was balanced at the show yet Ronnie is almost half the volume of Keith on the album. Looses alot of the feel, which is sad. Still the best version ever performed of that tune.

-Drake

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 10, 2006 12:14

Live Licks isn't bad. There's some versions that sound tired (Like HTW) and some versions that should be either left alone or left off (Like RO). Overall it's good though, but there's just some very weid choices made with it. No songwise, but with the RO edit and the fact that the first CD is a warhorse CD (Not a bad idea) but it misses both JJF and SFTD. The second disc is great. Hardly a bad track on that, if you don't count RO.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: June 10, 2006 12:21

I think it lacks any tension, especially on disc two. No Security is a much better composition. This is I think the only CD that I turn off when my girlfriend comes home. Just to prevent her from getting annoyed, because it iritates even me sometimes.

The price was 30 euro's I believe, when it came out? Anyway: a shame. Where are No Expectations and Hand Of Fate? Where's the Jumping Jack Flash, the fast version they played as an opener for some of the Theatreshows?

But I love to have good live recordings of Monkey Man, CYHMN, THSMLI, and my favourite: Worried About You. I thinkÏ'll rip them off, and burn my own Live Licks.

Jelle

Posted by: Doolittle ()
Date: June 10, 2006 12:31

I don't own ,four flicks', as I don't own a dvd player. After a long 'lay-off' it was this album that got my interest in the Stones back!. I bought this & the last 'Manic Street Preachers' album on the same day (same release day). After being very unimpressed with the 'Manics' album, I put on 'Live Licks' & thought "shit!- this band STILL sounds more 'vital' after 40 years!". It blows the pants off 'No Security', 'Flashpoint' & 'Love You Live' IMO. The guitars are right up front in the mix. I think it's their best live album since 'ya ya's'! (seriously)

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 10, 2006 12:43

The power of Ya Ya s and LYL...and even Still life(To a lesser degree) is that it is concentrated....like side one Paris...side three Toronto..so you really get into the show...on the last three live albums its all scattered...so that takes away the tension...Mick talking Spanish..in BARCA...and than we get another city...you can hear that and it takes away the flow...the first three decades 4 live albums...and from 1990 till now also three +four flicks thats to much...but if I was not into bootlegs that much..I would say something else..thats true.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 10, 2006 12:47

Live Licks is not bad at all. It includes a lot of nice or great versions and personaly i like this style "one side ful of classics, another side with rare stuf". LL and No Security are my favourite live Stones albums after "Get Yer..."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 10, 2006 14:58

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could be wrong, but I think that the live albums
> do sell pretty well internationally (not in the UK
> or US, however).

they all sold well prior to No Security."Stripped" actually sold 3.5 million worldwide, a superb figure for a live album - especially as it was released after the tour was over and wasnt really a recording typical of the VL tour

No Security was the worst selling album of the Stones career - even though it was released in the middle of a tour that lasted nearly 2 years. That should have given them the message that - despite the fact the track listing was interesting and the performances good - the concept of a live album from every tour had run its course. Live Licks didnt sell a great deal more.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 10, 2006 15:59

Instead of doing so(every tour a live album) they better do the Pearl Jam thing and just bring out everything..wich I thought was nice ..but Im afraid that aint gonna happen.

Date: June 10, 2006 18:29

uz2bstoned Wrote:
> The difference between Live Licks and No Security
> is that No Security is far better sound than boots
> of the tour. It has been mixed and background
> noise reduced and instruments levels ajusted.
> Live Licks is just an audio rip of Four Flicks
> with some background/crowd noise taken out. There
> are boots just as good or better whereas No
> security was worth the price. Find a better
> sounding YGMR or Out of Control on a boot of that
> tour.

Do you seriously think that they were so lazy that they grabbed a copy of the dvd set and ripped the audio off of it instead of going to the actual recordings?
From my experience,great sounding recordings of the Licks tour are few and far between if you don't include most of the theater shows.

Date: June 10, 2006 18:44

drbryant Wrote:
> or US, however). I have them all, but the only
> ones I listen to are Ya-Ya's and Stripped (which
> is great as a stand alone effort). Live Licks is
> OK as a souvenier of the tour, but I would prefer
> to watch the DVD for nostalgia value.

The dvds are great but,I don't recommend trying to watch them while you are driving or while you're in the middle of a cookout/party or something.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 10, 2006 19:15

I actually prefer the "Greatest Hits" part of it (CD1) - Brown Sugar for example, is a killer combination of Jimmy-Miller-era and Stadium Rocker Stones. The "rarities" section on the other hand disappoints IMO. Great tracklist but poor performance.

Date: June 10, 2006 19:33

Brown Sugar on this cd is another example of a poorly edited track.I don't know all about poor performances on disc two.I thought Beast Of Burden didn't really fit in with the less played and rare live songs.

Date: June 10, 2006 19:52

Stewart Whitmore of Marcussen Mastering in Hollywood,California is the guy behind all of this poor editing but,ultimately the Stones themselves should have stepped in.
As for the originally planned track list,I don't remember exactly what it was but,it included around 33 or 34 songs,some of which I thought should have been included (Parachute Woman) and some of which should not have been included (Slipping Away,You Got Me Rocking,Live With Me).Maybe the Stones did step in on this issue but,that seems to be the extent of their involvement.It was posted on IORR for a while.Perhaps BV will add it to the "Out Of Time" pages.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 10, 2006 20:56

> or US, however).

I have an article from May 1999 and they list No Security with 800.000 copies sold worldwide, 230.000 copies in US. The US number went up to 324,000 copies now and the world sales are over 1 million.
Live Licks surpassed the 500k ww. last year and is still a good seller in some countries as France, Spain, Argentina or ever England.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 10, 2006 21:19

I like the lesser played songs on Disc Two. I wish they would play more old blues at their shows these days.

Whatever happened to Love in Vain? Why don't they play that one during the Bigger Bang tour?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 10, 2006 21:24

LeedsLungs71 Wrote:
> Whatever happened to Love in Vain? Why don't they
> play that one during the Bigger Bang tour?

Because it's not on 40 licks.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 10, 2006 21:56

Erik_Snow Wrote:
>
> Because it's not on 40 licks.

This is the whole point, man. Sounds like "big business" all over the place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-10 22:02 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 10, 2006 22:57

georgelicks Wrote:
>
> I have an article from May 1999 and they list No
> Security with 800.000 copies sold worldwide,
> 230.000 copies in US. The US number went up to
> 324,000 copies now and the world sales are over 1
> million.

sales or number of copies shipped? When it came out, it sold abominably and barely lasted a couple of weeks in the charts

> Live Licks surpassed the 500k ww. last year and is
> still a good seller in some countries as France,
> Spain, Argentina or ever England.

Live Licks relatively respectable UK sales may be down to the fact that within about 6 weeks of its release, it could be found in bargain bins at half price or less. Again, its shelf life in the charts was relatively brief

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 10, 2006 23:01

nearness is dreadful.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: June 10, 2006 23:06

Theif in the Night Wrote:
> uz2bstoned Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The difference between Live Licks and No
> Security
> > is that No Security is far better sound than
> boots
> > of the tour. It has been mixed and background
> > noise reduced and instruments levels ajusted.
> > Live Licks is just an audio rip of Four Flicks
> > with some background/crowd noise taken out.
> There
> > are boots just as good or better whereas No
> > security was worth the price. Find a better
> > sounding YGMR or Out of Control on a boot of
> that
> > tour.
>

I'll never listen to it again after what they did to Rocks Off. It proves to me that the band never even bothered there arses to play it before the release. They should be ashamed of themselves
>
> Do you seriously think that they were so lazy
> that they grabbed a copy of the dvd set and ripped
> the audio off of it instead of going to the actual
> recordings?
> From my experience,great sounding recordings of
> the Licks tour are few and far between if you
> don't include most of the theater shows.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: June 10, 2006 23:23

I agree with the comments about Nashville 2002, but ADTL was not played even though it was Exile night.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: June 11, 2006 00:01

My goof. It was Rocksoff from that night.

-Drake

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 11, 2006 02:24

Gazza Wrote:
> georgelicks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > I have an article from May 1999 and they list
> No
> > Security with 800.000 copies sold worldwide,
> > 230.000 copies in US. The US number went up to
> > 324,000 copies now and the world sales are over
> 1
> > million.
>
> sales or number of copies shipped? When it came
> out, it sold abominably and barely lasted a couple
> of weeks in the charts

Here is the quote (from May 2, 1999)
"I almost hate myself for asking, but could there be any truth to the latest predictions of the band's retirement? Perhaps. For starters, the most recent Rolling Stones release, the live No Security album, was by all means a flop in relation to other works in their catalog. According to a recent industry report, from sales monitor Soundscan, the CD sold a paltry 229,000 copies in the U.S. This is not exactly a robust figure, the world sales of the album barely reached the 800,000 copies sold according to Virgin sources."

Since May 1999, the album sold another 95,000 copies in the States and re-charted again in France.
[fanofmusic.free.fr]

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: June 11, 2006 03:34

>Thief in the Night wrote:

>Do you seriously think that they were so lazy that they grabbed a copy of the >dvd set and ripped the audio off of it instead of going to the actual >recordings?
>From my experience,great sounding recordings of the Licks tour are few and far >between if you don't include most of the theater shows.

No, but the Four Flicks DVD was already mixed, and I can get just as good sound by ripping the audio from it. The only noticable difference to my ear is that for example on Monkey man the crowd noise has been faded out of the mix after a few seconds whereas I still have some crowd noise thru the song

Posted by: Borna ()
Date: June 11, 2006 13:52

no

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 11, 2006 14:23

Has anyone seen the commercially available DVD about the making of Get Your Ya-Ya's Out? Does it have anything good on it? Any live clips from 69-72 that have not been seen elsewhere?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 11, 2006 14:50

drbryant Wrote:
> Has anyone seen the commercially available DVD
> about the making of Get Your Ya-Ya's Out? Does it
> have anything good on it? Any live clips from
> 69-72 that have not been seen elsewhere?

I haven't seen it. But if you use the search-button on IORR, you'll find that it's a rip-off...just some Hyde Park photage and other well-known stuff.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 11, 2006 19:54

drake Wrote:
> Someday when I hit it big I'll buy the rights to
> everything in the Stones vaults and I'll start
> remixing all their old recordings. This one would
> only need a bit more bass, balanced guitars and
> overall I would soften the compressors on
> EVERYTHING except vocals.

Oh god, please don't! Remastering is one thing, but I'm opposed to retrospective remixing.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: June 11, 2006 20:00

The one track on this album I find myself coming back to again and again is the Start Me Up version they have here, I think it really hits a sweet spot

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home