Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Ronnie Wood Anthology
Posted by: ddurando150 ()
Date: June 6, 2006 15:11

- The Essential Crossexion

Release date: 26th June 2006

Ronnie Wood is both a musician and an artist. He says that he picked up a paintbrush before he picked up a guitar. We love him for his guitar though. He is a member of The Rolling Stones, and has been a founding member of many classic British rock outfits, all of which are featured here on this 2 CD career anthology, The Essential Crossexion..

On CD1 you will find a selection of his finest moments from 1974's I've Got My Own album, to 2005's You Strum and I'll Sing - a brand new song never previously released. CD2 brings you a collection of his finest group outings and features The Rolling Stones, The Faces, The Jeff Beck Group and The Creation.

Tracklisting:

CD11. I Can Feel The Fire 2. Cancel Everything 3. Far East Man 4. Big Bayou 5. If You Don't Want My Love 6. 1234 7. Fountain Of Love 8. Seven Days 9. Always Wanted More 10. Breath on Me 11. Somebody Else Might 12. Josephine 13. Testify 14. Whatdd'ya Think 15. This Little Hear 16. Little Mixed Up 17. You Strum and I Sing *

CD2: 1. You're On My Mind - The Birds 2. You Don't Love Me - The Birds 3. No Good Without You Baby - The Birds 4. How Can It Be - The Birds 5. Midway Down - The Creation 6. The Girls Are Naked - The Creation 7. I Ain't Superstitious - Jeff Beck 8. All Shook Up - The Jeff Beck Group 9. Plynth (Water Down The Drain) - The Jeff Beck Group 10. Jailhouse Rock - The Jeff Beck Group 11. Flying - The Faces 12. Gasoline Alley - Rod Stewart 13. Miss Judy's Farm - The Faces 14. Too Bad - The Faces 15. Maggie May - Rod Stewart 16. Stay With Me - The Faces 17. Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart 18. Ooh La La - The Faces 19. Everything Is Turning To Gold - The Rolling Stone 20. Black Limousine - The Rolling Stones

* previously unreleased.

Some quotes on the great man himself:

Rod Stewart - I have known Ronald Wood for many years and find him to be stout of character and up standing in consequential circumstances. A more up lifting fellow a man could not find to be ones friend throughout life's transmissions. I first met Ronald Wood at a public place where he was performing with a group called the Birds (and) much to me chagrin he was sporting a similar hairstyle to myself and was well proportioned in the proboscis area like myself. We immediately hit it off and went on to be good pals who share a unique sense of humour, which many do not understand. After many unscheduled hindrances we found ourselves frolicking in the Jeff Beck group and then on to the boisterous Faces. Ronald played guitar and bass on my early solo recording efforts, and I must say I would not be in the position today (right of mid field) if it wasn't for his amazing contribution

All things being uneven Ron, you are a wonderfully talented musician a gifted artist and more importantly a proper mate. Love from Rod.

Slash - Ronnie is one of my all time favourite people. As a friend, musician, painter and just an overall great guy to hang out with. I've known him since I was 14 and he's always been that way. One of a @#$%&' kind that Ronnie Wood is.

Jools Holland - It's always a privilege to be around when Ronnie starts to make music. When he starts to play the whole room starts to swing and groove. It could be his front room or an enormo-dome stadium. He has the same magical effect. It is something I always look forward to entering the world of planet Ronnie Wood.

The Charlatans - For Mark & Myself, Ronnie's music has been a huge influence... we ripped him off a lot on our 'Up To Our Hips' & 'The Charlatans - self titled' records! To us he is almost the perfect man, his smile, his songs, his style - he is in my opinion the blueprint for every rock star. To sum it up, Ronnie Wood is a remarkable human being, extremely funny, top guitarist, incredible artist - he can throw it all on a canvas & tell it to ya in a song like no one else can. Cheers to him!

Kelly Jones - Stereophonics - Ronnie is a gentleman, an inspiration, and an incredible talent in painting as well as his music and it's a privilege to have worked and laughed with someone as beautiful as him. Long live the Gemini! Kelly

www.ronniewood.com <

Re: The Ronnie Wood Anthology
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 6, 2006 17:06

A useless configuration. Guess they figure it will sell better than a compilation including only tracks taken from the solo albums. It won't.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 6, 2006 17:12

Excellent composition, I think!
I'll get many tracks that I haven't heard yet!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 6, 2006 19:52

Not a useless compilation, if alone for the gift of having a fellow musician say of you in the notes "..it's a privilege to have worked and laughed with someone as beautiful as him".

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 6, 2006 21:15

Makes as much sense as a two-disc Bill Wyman collection consisting of solo tracks on one CD and randomly selected Stones tracks on the other. Useless product.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 6, 2006 21:52

No it is not useless:

I donçt have nothing from solo RW and nothing from The Faces, so for me it is going to be a great oportunity to know more about this great guy´s work.

Cheers to Ronnie!!

Date: June 6, 2006 21:57

tatters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Makes as much sense as a two-disc Bill Wyman
> collection consisting of solo tracks on one CD and
> randomly selected Stones tracks on the other.
> Useless product.

The Stones tracks Ronnie selected for his compilation are the ones that he influenced or co-wrote...And Ronnie's output is definitely better than Bill's solo CDs (not counting the Rythm Kings now). In my opinion it's a great compilation.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 6, 2006 23:44

This is a wonderful compilation and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I've heard very little of his solo work and The Birds (his first group from 1963-1966) are a must-hear. I'm looking forward to hearing his work with The Creation too. I don't think Ronnie would really warrant a 3 CD set or anything more extravagant, so a two disc set which appears to cover all basis, seems fine to me!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 6, 2006 23:49

I've got (almost) everything on it.
Yet, the point of a BestOf-CD is to make the "common-man" aware of this artist.
And the song selection is pretty good. Of course I miss some songs...but it's always like that. It's a good release.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 7, 2006 00:38

I just found out about it.
Looks great to me.

For those of you keeping score at home, I'll be buying it.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: June 7, 2006 00:40

where are the new barbarians tracks? seven days i.e.

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 7, 2006 00:55

>> where are the new barbarians tracks? seven days i.e. <<

... on New Barbarians bootlegs?
or: Seven Days is listed on CD1 of this compilation.
i mean: sorry, i don't understand what you're asking.

looks like a decent compilation to me. i have all of Ronnie's "solo" stuff but i'll be glad to have disk 2.
i used to own the albums a lot of those tracks are from, and it'll be fine to have them around again.
thank you Ronnie!

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: June 7, 2006 01:05

it is a decent compilation
i would prefer the new barbarians seven days instead the one from live slide at ritz

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: June 7, 2006 02:44

A wonderful--and much-needed--compilation from a well-respected, immensely talented & kind gentleman. Mr. Ronald Wood IS the Spirit of the Rolling Stones.

Date: June 7, 2006 04:13

It's a compilation.What else can you expect on a compilation?One or two previously unreleased tracks might have been cool but,usually only big name artists do that on a retrospective to get their large fan bases to buy an album of songs they otherwise already own.Faces fans might buy the two Stones tracks for the first time and Stones fans might buy Faces tracks for the first time.Not everyone owns everything the guy ever released.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 7, 2006 09:18

Lorenz Wrote:
> The Stones tracks Ronnie selected for his
> compilation are the ones that he influenced or
> co-wrote...And Ronnie's output is definitely
> better than Bill's solo CDs (not counting the
> Rythm Kings now). In my opinion it's a great
> compilation.

It IS a great compilation. And BTW: Bill's stuff suck. Listen to Stone Alone. That's SO bad. I thought Bill scraped the bottom of the barrel with "In Another Land", but I was wrong.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 7, 2006 10:53

As an artist (in the musisical sense) I'd say Ronnie has a limited appeal. I'm sure many here will be buying it primarily for disc 2. I know little to nothing of his solo output, so I'm geting it for both discs.

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: June 7, 2006 11:25

I'll definately be getting this.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: June 7, 2006 11:38

Well, all of you who don't have anything by the Woodman or haven't listened to the Faces should take this as soon as possible.

Do anybody here agree about Ronnie's solo discography being the best solo Stone albums??

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 7, 2006 13:26

bruno Wrote:
> Do anybody here agree about Ronnie's solo discography being the best solo Stone albums??

I do.

Date: June 7, 2006 13:30

erikjjf Wrote:
> bruno Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> &gt; Do anybody here agree about Ronnie's solo
> discography being the best solo Stone albums??
>
> I do.

Yes, so do I - I don't have all his albums, but what I've got is all excellent!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 7, 2006 13:36

"limited appeal"?! Ronnie?!
it is Mr Ron Wood we are talkin about here! :E

- march 13th 2005, by Dave M Bennett (courtesy of Rocks Off)

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: June 7, 2006 13:49

I disagree with the negative comments. I think a lot of Stones fans don't have so much material from Ronnie, often because of the poor availability of his CD's
This gives a nice overview of his stuff. Its also "Nice Price"

I've been a Stones fan for a looooooonnnnnnnnnng time and I only recently heard The Birds stuff, its really top class and will surprise a lot of people.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 7, 2006 13:53

I have every thing on this except 'You Strum' but I'll get it any way, that's what being a collector is about.

An ideal primer for those who haven't investigated Mr Woods solo work.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 7, 2006 21:15

I have all the solo stuff, but for a 2 cd overview it is very good. What I miss: a classic song called "Just For A Moment," (or anything else) from his collaboration w/ Ronnie Lane "Mahoney's Last Stand," more from the underrated "Not For Beginners", or the 2 great bonus cuts on the 1998 reissue of "Slide On Live" ("I Don't Know What You Got", written by Don Covay, with Bernard, McLagan, Willie Weeks, Andy Newmark, and "You Really Got A Hold On Me," a better version than anyone might expect of the Miracles' classic). And more rarities!

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: June 8, 2006 00:11

Except for the Stones and Stewart stuff, I have none of the tracks listed; I may just buy this one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home